Fossil Called Missing Link From Sea to Land Animals

• 7 Replies
?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« on: April 06, 2006, 12:47:23 PM »
Quote from: "John Noble Wilford, in the NY Times,"
Scientists have discovered fossils of a 375-million-year-old fish, a large scaly creature not seen before, that they say is a long-sought missing link in the evolution of some fishes from water to a life walking on four limbs on land.

snip

The skeletons have the fins, scales and other attributes of a giant fish, four to nine feet long. But on closer examination, the scientists found telling anatomical traits of a transitional creature, a fish that is still a fish but has changes that anticipate the emergence of land animals — and is thus a predecessor of amphibians, reptiles and dinosaurs, mammals and eventually humans.

snip

Other scientists said that in addition to confirming elements of a major transition in evolution, the fossils were a powerful rebuttal to religious creationists, who have long argued that the absence of such transitional creatures are a serious weakness in Darwin's theory.

snip

The rest of the article can be found here.

-Erasmus
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

?

joffenz

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 01:38:22 PM »
Interesting, but wrong forum?

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 01:56:54 PM »
Quote from: "cheesejoff"
Interesting, but wrong forum?

Erm, I got the impression that news articles of interest should be posted here.  If you think it should be moved to Alternative Science, I guess we can do that.
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

?

joffenz

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 02:57:05 PM »
I thought it was only flat Earth articles...but I guess it could be for other articles too. Meh, it's your thread, do what you will with it!

However it is rather interesting, as a supporter of evolution I think this weakens the creationist argument even further. It's hard to explain this away with creationist theory, as they'll have to say "God designed a species that's half way between a sea creature and a land animal"...

?

EnragedPenguin

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 04:45:44 PM »
I moved it to Everything else because...well... it's not alternative science, it's just regular science, and it certainly doesn't belong in angry rantings, it also has nothing to do with the flat earth theory so it can't go in general discussion. And I'm fairly certain that information repository is just for articles about the flat earth theory/society.

On topic. It's pretty neat, I had actually thought we already had transitional fossils. I wonder how the creationists will try to explain this away.
A different world cannot be built by indifferent people.

?

pspunit

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006, 05:34:02 PM »
Quote from: "EnragedPenguin"
On topic. It's pretty neat, I had actually thought we already had transitional fossils. I wonder how the creationists will try to explain this away.

They'll maybe say that God planted those fossils to test our faith.
Three people of different nationalities walk into the bar. Two of them say something smart, and the third one makes a mockery of his fellow countrymen by acting dumb."

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2006, 05:07:16 PM »
Hi
So Godzilla was not a fictional creature after all
Gran

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2006, 02:59:32 PM »
The press and scientists are in on the conspiracy.  These were not really found.