Where is the edge of the earth?

• 61 Replies
« on: April 05, 2006, 05:28:36 PM »
Does anybody have any pictures of it, or do you need time to get on your computer and doctor one up?   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
 love going down to the elementary school, watching all the kids jump and shout, but they don't know I'm using blanks.

- Jack Handey

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 06:33:43 PM »
Does anybody have any pictures of it, or do you need time to get on your computer and doctor one up?

ha ha ha ha ha... oh gosh.  Comedy!  good one dude.  That got 'em!  You're really smart!
ooyakasha!

Re: Where is the edge of the earth?
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 07:49:43 PM »
Quote from: "Joe_Mama"
Does anybody have any pictures of it, or do you need time to get on your computer and doctor one up?   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

The edge of the earth is the Bermuda Triangle.  That is why so many people have disappeared there.  I don't have a picture though.
Science and religion do NOT contradict one another, but are two truths." (from askmoses.com)

"Religion without science is blind, but science without religion is lame." - Albert Einstein

?

EnragedPenguin

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2006, 08:05:09 PM »
Quote from: "Knight"
Does anybody have any pictures of it, or do you need time to get on your computer and doctor one up?

ha ha ha ha ha... oh gosh.  Comedy!  good one dude.  That got 'em!  You're really smart!

All the smilies...all lined up like that...that's the really clever, funny part.
A different world cannot be built by indifferent people.

Re: Where is the edge of the earth?
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2006, 11:46:17 PM »

The end of the world is more or less X miles from here.

And yes, I've got a picture of it

http://www.jastek.net/images/icewall.jpg
he world isn't round.
The world isn't flat.
How stupid are you?
anyone should be able to see it's a cube

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2006, 01:52:59 PM »
What I love is that that picture is really obviously cgi.

Especially when you could easily just google up "glacier pictures" and find a good real photo of something that looks like an ice wall.

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2006, 08:25:23 PM »
That is a picture of a bunch of glaciers.  Don't you have a sky view of THE edge of the earth?  C'mon.  You can do better than that.  

BTW, Knight and EnragedPenguin, your sarcasm doesn't shake me.  It fuels me.  You've gotta have better proof than that.  Explain to me the rotation of the sun.  You may have mentioned it before on this board, but I don't have a lot of time to go searching through this.  Also, explain to me this Bermuda Triangle thing again. I hear conflicting stories here.  One person says that the edge of the earth is a wall of ice and another says that it is the Bermuda Triangle.  If both of those were true, I would like to know why boats have disappeared in there.  Why not just stop and back out?  Hey, if the edge of the earth is, in fact, a wall of ice, why worry about global warming again?  I thought global warming would cause oceans to expand because plant life dies.  So if the edge of the earth was, in fact, a wall of ice, what would happen if the ice melted?  Would all of the oceans pour off the side of the earth?  Or would the earth just continually expand as the ice melted?  It sounds to me like you guys need to find a common belief and stick to it.  You are throwing out theories.  Not proven facts.  BTW, I saw the Columbia space shuttle take off the mission prior to the one where it exploded.  Are you saying that our tax dollars are helping to pay to have a shuttle hover over a flat surface?  Also, isn't it odd that the same constellations in the sky show up in the sky in a nice neat pattern every night?  You make it sound like the stars must be some kind of conveyor belt.  Anyway, I need to get back to work.  Later.
 love going down to the elementary school, watching all the kids jump and shout, but they don't know I'm using blanks.

- Jack Handey

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2006, 11:39:16 PM »
That is a picture of a bunch of glaciers

...made of paper. you forgot that, i think

You've gotta have better proof than that[/quote]

how amusing. That's what i told everyone who tried to convince me that the earth is round
he world isn't round.
The world isn't flat.
How stupid are you?
anyone should be able to see it's a cube

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2006, 09:45:48 PM »
Well, let me see.  The sun set over the horizon.  It actually dips BELOW horizontal level, then comes back up on the opposite side.  That's a hint.  The sun has to go SOMEWHERE.  Same thing with the moon and star patterns.  Let me see.  The lunar eclipse is another hint.  There are pictures of the earth from space:  http://www.atmos.umd.edu/~owen/CHPI/IMAGES/earth.html

I honestly don't see the point to the government trying to hide that the earth is flat either.  I do, however, see how you guys could be pulling our chains just to get people to visit your site.

- Jack Handey

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2006, 10:15:35 PM »
1984's society claimed who controlled the past controlled the future, and who controlled the present controlled the past.

What is being suggested is that such information is intended simply to further engrain the concept of a round Earth in your mind.

You'll need more than a picture that could have been photoshopped to convey the truth behind a round Earth.
ttp://theflatearthsociety.org/forums/search.php

"Against criticism a man can neither protest nor defend himself; he must act in spite of it, and then it will gradually yield to him." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2006, 08:44:35 AM »
Oh yes.  I can control the future by telling people that the earth is round.  I am one of the men in black.  You figured me out!

I try to understand the logic of trying to convince the world that the earth is round to cover up some sort of lie.  I can't do it.  Again I ask this:  Is this site a joke?

- Jack Handey

?

joffenz

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2006, 09:54:43 AM »
Oh yes.  I can control the future by telling people that the earth is round.  I am one of the men in black.  You figured me out!

I try to understand the logic of trying to convince the world that the earth is round to cover up some sort of lie.  I can't do it.  Again I ask this:  Is this site a joke?

No it's not a joke, and that question is answered in the FAQ.

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2006, 10:52:32 AM »
the FAQ doesnt answer didly squat, it just says it a "conspiracy".

?

joffenz

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2006, 11:19:21 AM »
Quote from: "Isac_Newton"
the FAQ doesnt answer didly squat, it just says it a "conspiracy".

Which was related to how real the site is in what way? It may not offer any proof, but it does state that the site is real. That's another strawman you've set up.

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2006, 07:28:23 PM »

Ask yourself this:  is history tangible?  Is it something that exists as we say a rock exists?  Who writes history?  The victors, the winners, the people who triumph write history.

Though perhaps we can use the Men in Black as a part of the government conspiracy theory :)  Who knows?  Not you, you're mind's wiped!  Excellent idea, Joe_Mama  :lol:
ttp://theflatearthsociety.org/forums/search.php

"Against criticism a man can neither protest nor defend himself; he must act in spite of it, and then it will gradually yield to him." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2006, 02:29:47 PM »
I'm wondering one more thing.  If we fall off the edge of the earth, do we just keep falling?  Where the hell do we go?  Think about it!  You need to have some sort of massive object to produce gravity.  It doesn't just appear.  If that was the case, we could be falling into the sky.  Also, if there is a so-called "ice wall", how high does it go?  If it goes on forever, wouldn't the friggin' sun hit it?  There are so many holes in the whole "flat earth theory", I just can't believe that any rational human being would actually believe it.  I restate my previous question:  Is THIS SITE a JOKE?

- Jack Handey

?

joffenz

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2006, 02:35:50 PM »
I'm wondering one more thing.  If we fall off the edge of the earth, do we just keep falling?  Where the hell do we go?  Think about it!  You need to have some sort of massive object to produce gravity.  It doesn't just appear.  If that was the case, we could be falling into the sky.  Also, if there is a so-called "ice wall", how high does it go?  If it goes on forever, wouldn't the friggin' sun hit it?  There are so many holes in the whole "flat earth theory", I just can't believe that any rational human being would actually believe it.  I restate my previous question:  Is THIS SITE a JOKE?

Read the FAQ, every question you have asked is answered in there.

http://theflatearthsociety.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1324

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2006, 09:54:57 AM »
ROFL!  Four elephants and a turtle?  OMG that is hilarious!  I thought that somebody just threw that in to make fun of you guys!  Also, the whole reference to the sun as a spotlight.  How do you figure this?  Check this out:  Take a flashlight and point it straight at your face.  Then start to swing it back and forth like a spotlight and watch what it does.  Notice anything strange?  The light does not stay circular like the sun does.  the light directly from a spotlight forms a crescent when you move it back and forth.  Also, the whole jumping off the edge of the earth thing is rather simple:  Do you have a picture of this?  Just a few more questions that randomly popped up in my head.

- Jack Handey

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2006, 09:57:55 AM »
If I posted a picture would you believe the earth was flat?

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2006, 12:09:30 PM »
Take a flashlight and point it straight at your face.  Then start to swing it back and forth like a spotlight and watch what it does.  Notice anything strange?  The light does not stay circular like the sun does.  the light directly from a spotlight forms a crescent when you move it back and forth.

That's a good point, but nobody said the sun is shaped like a spotlight: rather, the directions in which it casts light are confined to a solid angle of less than half a sphere.  In your flashlight-experiment, it is the opaque cylinder housing the bulb that obscures the light; the sun has no such housing.

By the way, when you said "crescent", what you meant was "ellipse".

Also, the whole jumping off the edge of the earth thing is rather simple:  Do you have a picture of this?

Your use of the colon indicates that you think the bit that comes after the colon is a justification or explanation for the bit that comes before.  I'm not really sure how that follows.  Are you saying that if we have no pictures of people falling off the edge, then its not possible to fall off the edge?  What if I were to get up on my kitchen table and do a traditional Dutch dance?  If nobody gets a photo of it, does that mean it didn't happen?

Just a few more questions that randomly popped up in my head.

Laudable; please carefully read the FAQ and use the Search function to determine whether your questions have been asked hundreds of times already; then, if not, please post them in a new, aptly-named thread.

-Erasmus
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2006, 09:44:57 AM »
Okay.  An ELLIPSE.  My mistake.  Anyway, back to the subject at hand.  I'm trying to understand what you mean by what you say is the shape of the sun.    So you are basically saying that it is shaped like those mirrors you see in department stores which hide security cameras.  Is that correct?  If that's true, I still can't understand this.  This would make it more like a flood light, in which case, you will still have to see some kind of base to it to block the light and allow it to direct the light like a spotlight.

Are you saying that if we have no pictures of people falling off the edge, then its not possible to fall off the edge? What if I were to get up on my kitchen table and do a traditional Dutch dance? If nobody gets a photo of it, does that mean it didn't happen?

Well, for your first question, I have seen pictures of people who have been hit by cars.  I have seen pictures of people getting shot.  I even witnessed somebody having a heart attack.  The edge of the earth would be a physical entity.  All physical entities can be photographed in one way or another.  So why can't you simply show me a picture?  I'm a 6'6" white guy.  I can take a picture of myself and show you if you'd like.  Why can't you produce a picture for all of us to see?  I'm sure that if you did, more people would believe you.  As for the Dutch dance thing, the same rules apply.  Anybody could take a picture of it as proof that you did it.  That would be easy.  Otherwise, I could make any stupid claim like "Elves exist" and use the same argument you have made to back up my claim.

Laudable; please carefully read the FAQ and use the Search function to determine whether your questions have been asked hundreds of times already; then, if not, please post them in a new, aptly-named thread.

I did read your FAQ's.  A five-year-old could have done a better job at explaining them.  That is why I am asking for clarification on here in hopes that one of you guys has a higher education than that of a five-year-old.  BTW, unimportant, if you could post a picture, I could print it out and show one of my friends (who is a professional photographer) and find out whether or not it is legit.  Even better yet!  Make a video!  I want to see a picture of you peering over the edge of the earth and staring at the 4 elephants and the turtle carrying the earth around.  If you could do that for me, I bet a lot more people on this board would believe you guys.

- Jack Handey

?

joffenz

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2006, 10:20:08 AM »
I even witnessed somebody having a heart attack.

Show me a picture of it and I'll be more inclined to believe you.

Why can't you produce a picture for all of us to see?

No picture can be produced, but that doesn't invalidate the theory. After all, do you believe you were alive 6 days 3.4 hour 22 seconds ago? If so, show me a picture of it.

Simply because you can't doesn't mean that you weren't alive then. Since you are alive now, and since you are talking we can assume you are more than 6 days old, then you must have been alive then.

Furthermore if a picture was actually produced, it would invalidate the theory since the theory states that the government prevents people from taking pictures of the edge.

Otherwise, I could make any stupid claim like "Elves exist" and use the same argument you have made to back up my claim.

Yes, you could.

I did read your FAQ's.  A five-year-old could have done a better job at explaining them.  That is why I am asking for clarification on here in hopes that one of you guys has a higher education than that of a five-year-old.  

The FAQ does not address flaws in the theory, it merely states what the theory is. We see no need to address flaws because most criticisms levelled against the theory are strawmans.

However the FAQ is being redrafted...soon.

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2006, 11:23:15 AM »
All physical entities can be photographed in one way or another.  So why can't you simply show me a picture?

Maybe because the last time I travelled thousands of miles by air and by sea, evaded the government's security force, climbed the sheer face of the ice wall, hiked across its vast, arid, airless, frozen surface, and peered out over the edge, I realized I had left the film for my camera in my other pants.

Or maybe it's just hard to get there?

I could make any stupid claim like "Elves exist" and use the same argument you have made to back up my claim.

Not the same argument.  Certainly you couldn't look out your window and honestly say, "Looks like there's elves out there."

-Erasmus
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2006, 02:06:46 PM »
I'm wondering one more thing.  If we fall off the edge of the earth, do we just keep falling?quote]
hmm let me think ohh yes, the universe it is made up of and infinite area with lots of objects most likely you would hit something so you wouldn't fall for eternity

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2006, 08:10:02 PM »
Quote from: "Unimportant"
If I posted a picture would you believe the earth was flat?

yeah. I havent seen one, let me know when you find one. It just seems that every time a satellite is launched into space the earth "happens" to be round.
i]On this issue -- my default assumption is that all members of this forum are male.  I usually expect women to have more sense than to waste their time arguing trivialities over the internet.
[/i]
-Erasmus

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2006, 08:12:05 PM »
Quote from: "cheesejoff"

Otherwise, I could make any stupid claim like "Elves exist" and use the same argument you have made to back up my claim.

Yes, you could.

so youre admitting your theory is a load of speculation.
i]On this issue -- my default assumption is that all members of this forum are male.  I usually expect women to have more sense than to waste their time arguing trivialities over the internet.
[/i]
-Erasmus

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2006, 08:16:07 PM »
In the same way that saying "The earth is round" is speculation, yes.

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2006, 10:23:42 PM »
no you see the earth is actually round, and FE believers will deny fact to the death.
[/i]
-Erasmus

?

joffenz

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2006, 12:36:19 AM »
Quote from: "Marshy"
no you see the earth is actually round, and FE believers will deny fact to the death.

No, because their theory states that the "facts" to be false so on the whole their theory is consistently valid.

In the same way that if the government gave you photos of magical Elves, which were analysed  by experts who said that they weren't fakes, would you believe them?

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2006, 10:35:36 AM »
Quote from: "Unimportant"
In the same way that saying "The earth is round" is speculation, yes.

Quote from: "Marshy"
no you see the earth is actually round,

"It is not speculation that magical elves exist because magical elves exist."

Flawless argument, bravo.

You realize that, even if something is true, making the claim can still be speculation? That is the whole point, after all. You're guessing what might be true, in hopes that it is.

So even assuming the earth is round, you saying so is speculation because you can't really know. Right now I'm speculating that my beer is still in the refridgerator because I didn't drink it, but I can't know for sure until I go and look.