Explain Time Zones

• 4 Replies
?

innocence_faded

Explain Time Zones
« on: April 03, 2006, 11:48:50 PM »
If the Earth is indeed flat, then how can it be nighttime in one area of the world and daytime in another area? When the sun sets where I live, there is another three hours of sunlight for where my friend lives!

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
Re: Explain Time Zones
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2006, 12:29:54 AM »
Quote from: "innocence_faded"
If the Earth is indeed flat, then how can it be nighttime in one area of the world and daytime in another area? When the sun sets where I live, there is another three hours of sunlight for where my friend lives!

Cut-and-paste from the FAQ, where I just added it:

Q: "What about time zones?"

A: Since the sun is a spot light, not all of the Flat Earth is lit at the same time (just like the Round Earth). Time zones exist on the Flat Earth for the same reason they do on the Round Earth: you want it to be approximately noon, locally, whenever the sun is at its zenith, locally.

-Erasmus
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

?

WTF

Explain Time Zones
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2006, 04:21:17 AM »
It'd have to be one weird-ass spotlight.  A long line across the earth that's the brightest and dimming off to each side.  I've never seen a spotlight like that.
And that doesn't help with seasons, which I see no one has addressed in the thread I started.

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
Explain Time Zones
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2006, 08:05:43 AM »
Quote from: "WTF"
It'd have to be one weird-ass spotlight.  A long line across the earth that's the brightest and dimming off to each side.  I've never seen a spotlight like that. *snip*

First off, all spotlights dim towards the edges, and the effect is increased as the solid angle over which the light is cast is increased.  The solid angle subtended at the sun (32 miles away) by the lit portion of the FE is fairly large.

Secondly, the lit portion of the Earth is not a long line.  It's a hemisphere on the RE, which corresponds to a semicircle on the FE.  This can be lit by a so-called π-light, which illuminates a half-plane.

-Erasmus
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

Explain Time Zones
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2006, 09:50:44 AM »
Quote from: "WTF"
It'd have to be one weird-ass spotlight.  A long line across the earth that's the brightest and dimming off to each side.  I've never seen a spotlight like that.
And that doesn't help with seasons, which I see no one has addressed in the thread I started.

But I did address the seasons: the four different spirits, one for each season :wink:
Science and religion do NOT contradict one another, but are two truths." (from askmoses.com)

"Religion without science is blind, but science without religion is lame." - Albert Einstein