Breatharianism

• 21 Replies
Breatharianism
« on: April 02, 2006, 09:03:21 PM »
A breatharian is a person who is nourished by light and has no need for food or drink. Breatharianism is within human potential, but for most it remains dormant. Those who feel drawn to living on light nourishment can activate this potential, but not said that it is an easy task.

One day breatharianism will be widely known and considered the natural thing that it is.

and a few links

http://www.selfempowermentacademy.com.au/pdf/L3_LIVING_on_LIGHT/Med_Intv/a-bi.pdf
http://www.angelfire.com/stars3/breathe_light/breatharianism.html
http://www.apologeticsindex.org/b12.html

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
Re: Breatharianism
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2006, 09:06:52 PM »
Quote from: "REcarl"
A breatharian is a person who is nourished by light and has no need for food or drink. Breatharianism is within human potential,

So, where do breatharians get things like carbon and iron from?  Light isn't made of iron, you know.

I've heard of this nonsense going under the same "Solar Healing".  Supposedly some fellow has gone seven years (this was last year) without food; he gets all his energy from staring at the sun.  Actually I thought I read someplace on his website a caveat about "no food between dawk and dusk"....

Anyway, who do you think you're fooling?

-Erasmus
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

?

WTF

Breatharianism
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2006, 10:07:44 PM »
Ok flat earth, young earth, ang dipping babies into magic water is one thing...but this?  LOL there's no way anyone can be stupid enough to believe it

Breatharianism
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2006, 10:24:33 PM »
Dude, breatharians are weaksauce, I don't need anything. I just... exist. I don't take vitamins from the air because I don't need them. I'm just that badass.

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
Breatharianism
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2006, 11:15:16 PM »
Quote from: "WTF"
LOL there's no way anyone can be stupid enough to believe it

Where there's a will...

Breatharianism
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2006, 11:45:57 PM »
I don't believe in this, I just think these links are fun to read.  Crazy people are interesting to talk to and read about because they offer such different perspectives on life.  Topics that deviate from the norm on such extreme levels really interest me.   Granted they are wrong, but its akin to fantasy books as far as I am concerned.

I just wanted to start a discussion about the topic.

If anyone has some similar topics please post them.  I figure if I expose myself to crazy shit like this, I'll be ready to deal with the world and all the oddness it has to offer when I leave college and the small state of Maine.

Breatharianism
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2006, 01:24:51 AM »
Quote from: "Erasmus"
Quote from: "WTF"
LOL there's no way anyone can be stupid enough to believe it

Where there's a will...

yes but to belive this toss you can have a will of your own
-GRIM!

Breatharianism
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2006, 03:53:57 AM »
Quote from: "REcarl"

If anyone has some similar topics please post them.  

If you want crazy topics just google any of the following:

Homeopathy
Acupuncture
Hypnosis
ESP
Psychic
Polygraph
9/11 Conspiracy
Uri Geller
Astrology
UFO

These are just a few off the top of my head.  There are plenty more out there, all enthusiastically backed up by people without any actual scientific evidence.

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
Breatharianism
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2006, 12:11:26 PM »
Quote from: "Bongo"
Acupuncture

Sadly I have first-hand experience that this works.... I assume that the placebo effect is a strong possibility, but so what?  Healing without side effects is awesome :)

Hypnosis

I have second-hand experience that this works.... and psychology is at least a *little* bit closer to science than some of the other stuff on your list :)  In any case, there's a lot of scientific evidence that suggestion is a real thing, and hypnosis is simply a state in which one is more susceptible to suggestion.

What I don't believe is that testimony given under hypnosis is anything except totally useless... especially in light of the suggestibility issue.

ESP
Psychic
Polygraph
9/11 Conspiracy
Uri Geller
Astrology
UFO

Sort of as a combination of some of the things above, may I suggest channeling and the Church of Scientology?

Also, you really should check out Hira Ratan Manek's website.

-Erasmus

?

pspunit

• The Elder Ones
Breatharianism
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2006, 02:03:26 PM »
I read the wikipedia on Breatharianism and was entertained by the fakers, but it talked about some guy that apparently had pretty well stopped eating for like 200 days or something, i found it...odd.
Three people of different nationalities walk into the bar. Two of them say something smart, and the third one makes a mockery of his fellow countrymen by acting dumb."

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
Breatharianism
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2006, 04:42:13 PM »
Quote from: "pspunit"
some guy that apparently had pretty well stopped eating for like 200 days or something, i found it...odd.

Also, you really should check out Hira Ratan Manek's website.

Breatharianism
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2006, 02:14:21 AM »
Acupuncture

Sadly I have first-hand experience that this works.... I assume that the placebo effect is a strong possibility, but so what?  Healing without side effects is awesome :)

I am glad youre feeling better.   :D  The placebo effect of acupuncture may have helped you out, but what of the thousands of people who fork out money for this supposedly medical treatment and get no benefit at all.  Acupuncture is a scam.  

Take 1000 acupuncture patients and I'd bet the percentage of people helped by this treatment is the same as the percentage who would have healed without any treatment at all.

Hypnosis

I have second-hand experience that this works.... and psychology is at least a *little* bit closer to science than some of the other stuff on your list :)  In any case, there's a lot of scientific evidence that suggestion is a real thing, and hypnosis is simply a state in which one is more susceptible to suggestion.

What I don't believe is that testimony given under hypnosis is anything except totally useless... especially in light of the suggestibility issue.

I agree with you that there is evidence that some form of suggestion may be real, that is still far and away from the claims the vast majority of hypnotists make about hidden memories, past lives, etc.

Breatharianism
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2006, 03:41:07 AM »
Hypnosis

I agree with you that there is evidence that some form of suggestion may be real, that is still far and away from the claims the vast majority of hypnotists make about hidden memories, past lives, etc.

Vast majority? How can you be sure it isn't just a vocal minority or perhaps the way the media frames it?
ttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity

Breatharianism
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2006, 03:53:58 AM »
One point I have neglected to mention regarding hypnotists is that there is a difference between stage hypnotism and the quackery that is 'medical' hypnotism.

Rather like the difference between a stage magician and Uri Geller.

Its interesting to note that Hypnotists dont like it being pointed out to them that the suggestions they make to their patients seem to have absolutely no effect unless said patient already has an earnest desire to achieve the result. (e.g. quitting smoking)

Breatharianism
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2006, 06:21:44 AM »
One point I have neglected to mention regarding hypnotists is that there is a difference between stage hypnotism and the quackery that is 'medical' hypnotism.

I am researching hypnotism at the moment and while I'm unsure about the benefits in many areas of medicine I do know that it has been successfully used to anesthetize patients during surgery and it is being researched for use in other areas so I don't think your blanket statement is accurate.
ttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity

Breatharianism
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2006, 11:56:35 PM »
I guess we are just going to have to agree to disagree  :P

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
Breatharianism
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2006, 01:32:21 PM »

That's a despicable, anti-intellectual cop-out.

-Erasmus

Breatharianism
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2006, 02:09:48 AM »

That's a despicable, anti-intellectual cop-out.

-Erasmus

I can see where someone who classes themselves as an itellectual may find it a despicable cop-out.   I however, am just your average joe and dont really find it that despicable at all.

I would also like to assure you that I harbour no anti-intellectual feelings. Ive always tried (as much as possible) to tolerate intellectuals, however annoying they sometimes get.

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
Breatharianism
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2006, 10:45:58 AM »
I can see where someone who classes themselves as an itellectual may find it a despicable cop-out.   I however, am just your average joe and dont really find it that despicable at all.

It's one thing to be humble about your intellectual goals.  It's entirely another thing to come to a highly controversial debate-oriented forum, engage in debate, and then back out with "Well, everybody's entitled to his opinion."  Of course everybody's entitled to his opinion; if they didn't believe that, they wouldn't have shown up.

The reason we have debate is to hear theories contradictory to our own and allow them to compete so as to come to a better understanding -- and maybe a consensus -- about the way things really are.  You don't have to have university degrees to do things like that or to want to; any "average joe" can take part.  I was raised in a highly opinionated family, which for the most part lacked a university education.  Many of whose opinions I came to despise, but I didn't say, "Well, they're entitled to their opinion;" I tried to argue them out of it, because that's what they taught me.

If you disagree with what somebody says, you should speak out.  Silence leads to apathy: "Take sides; neutrality helps the oppressor, never the oppressed."

-Erasmus

Breatharianism
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2006, 12:16:49 PM »
Well said Erasmus!  You're my hero!  Also, you should write a book!

P.S. If you haven't already, check out the link to Keith Mayes' website on the Keith Mayes thread in Other Alternative Science.
ooyakasha!

Breatharianism
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2006, 11:25:15 PM »

The reason we have debate is to hear theories contradictory to our own and allow them to compete so as to come to a better understanding -- and maybe a consensus -- about the way things really are.  

If you disagree with what somebody says, you should speak out.  Silence leads to apathy: "Take sides; neutrality helps the oppressor, never the oppressed."

-Erasmus

HAHAHAHA!
Cool speech champ!
Unfortunately Im not here to help the oppressed, nor to compete with others or come to a better understanding of anything at all.

I just popped in because Im a bit bored, and I found some of the topics here mildly interesting.  Although, in your eyes its obviously an enormously despicable act, I just didnt have enough enthusiasm for the whole hypnosis topic to continue with it any further.  If that means I helped out your nasty 'oppressor' than so be it.

P.S.  I never stated that everybody was entitled to their opinion.  Just that Goethe and I are.   :P

Breatharianism
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2006, 01:29:14 PM »
Quote from: "fuzzy901"
Dude, breatharians are weaksauce, I don't need anything. I just... exist. I don't take vitamins from the air because I don't need them. I'm just that badass.
QFT
NZYTE.  MAKE YOUR WORLD ROUNDER.