10 characteristics of conspiracy theorists

• 26 Replies
10 characteristics of conspiracy theorists
« on: June 25, 2007, 11:33:07 PM »
I stumbled across this and I thought some of you folks might find it interesting. It doesn't deal with FE specifically, but rather with the characteristics of conspiracy theorists and conspiracy theories in general. I found it amusing how well these characteristics seem to fit FEers (and in particular our favourite: Tom Bishop.. like a glove Tommy boy, like a glove). I don't mean to begin yet another debate over conspiracy motives or any of that crap. I just found it interesting how simmilar and typical most conspiracy theorists are. I also thought Gulliver might find this somewhat useful for the RE primer (if you're interested in adding more about the probs with massive conspiracy theories and such, it's up to you).

http://www.urban75.org/info/conspiraloons.html
Hmm... A good solid RE arguement and not an FE'er in sight. ::)
Oh, no...they're here. It's just that damn perspective..

Re: 10 characteristics of conspiracy theorists
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 11:38:00 PM »
That seems very very familiar
Only 2 things are infinite the universe and human stupidity, but I am not sure about the former.

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 11:40:45 PM »
I stumbled across this and I thought some of you folks might find it interesting. It doesn't deal with FE specifically, but rather with the characteristics of conspiracy theorists and conspiracy theories in general. I found it amusing how well these characteristics seem to fit FEers (and in particular our favourite: Tom Bishop.. like a glove Tommy boy, like a glove). I don't mean to begin yet another debate over conspiracy motives or any of that crap. I just found it interesting how simmilar and typical most conspiracy theorists are. I also thought Gulliver might find this somewhat useful for the RE primer (if you're interested in adding more about the probs with massive conspiracy theories and such, it's up to you).

http://www.urban75.org/info/conspiraloons.html
Lifted for the Primer. Thanks.

divito the truthist

• The Elder Ones
  • Relativist, Existentialist, Nihilist
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 12:01:53 AM »
Very interesting. This looks like fun to refute. I'll have to remember it for tomorrow and break it down.

But that does apply quite plainly to Tom, good find.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 12:03:32 AM by divito »
Our existentialist, relativist, nihilist, determinist, fascist, eugenicist moderator hath returned.
Quote from: Fortuna
objectively good

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 01:48:22 AM »
Wow. That should be called the "10 characteristics of Tom Bishop". It's amazingly close.

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 02:22:03 AM »
"# Allots superhuman talents or resources to conspirators;
May require conspirators to possess unique discipline, unrepentant resolve, advanced or unknown technology, uncommon psychological insight, historical foresight, unlimited resources, etc."

I found this one to hit especially close to home. Good find.

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 06:02:58 AM »
Reminds me of FE 'debate'.

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 06:05:05 AM »

Yeah shame Fe left aggramar and went to another server ,they were a great guild.

?

Carbiens

• On the fence, on the fence, on the fence!
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 06:24:40 AM »

Yeah shame Fe left aggramar and went to another server ,they were a great guild.

i live with Getch, hes still on aggramar
I'm almost able to read retardeese without any trouble now.  YAY.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 10:21:11 AM »
Actually, I find that the website provided applies equally to Round Earth proponents.

1. Arrogance: Check. REers are extremely arrogant, defending their unsatisfactory model to the bitter end.

2. Relentlessness: Check. REers are relentless in attempting to prove their unprovable model, often going on and on senselessly.

3. Inability to answer questions: Check. REers are unable to answer basic questions about their model, or provide reference to experimental evidence demonstrating the mechanisms of their model (eg. gravity).

4. Fondness for certain stock phrases: Check. REers aren't very creative.

5. Inability to employ or understand Occam's Razor: Check. When we look out our window we see a Flat Earth. RE proponents cannot understand why this suggests a Flat Earth. RE proponents urge us to disbelieve our own senses.

6. Inability to tell good evidence from bad: Check. REers constantly reference NASA evidence as if it were God's gospel. In reality NASA's evidence has not been peer reviewed or reproduced at all.

7. Inability to withdraw: Check.

8. Leaping to conclusions: Check. "Flat Earth Theory does not provide a detailed mechanism for such and such phenomena. Therefore Flat Earth Theory is false."

9. Using previous conspiracies as evidence to support their claims: Check. RE proponents make appleals to authority constantly. The earth is a sphere because the Ancient Greeks thought the earth was a sphere. It's conveniently forgotten that the Greeks also thought the earth was the center of the universe and that fruit flies spontaneously emerged from rotting meat.

10. It's always a conspiracy: Check. NASA is honest because NASA says they're honest. REers may as well say "the bible is true because the bible says it's true."
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 10:41:46 AM by Tom Bishop »

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2007, 10:24:43 AM »
Oh, The Legend is great...

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2007, 10:54:39 AM »
Actually, I find that the website provided applies equally to Round Earth proponents.

1. Arrogance: Check. REers are extremely arrogant, defending their unsatisfactory model to the bitter end.

2. Relentlessness: Check. REers are relentless in attempting to prove their unprovable model, often going on and on senselessly.

3. Inability to answer questions: Check. REers are unable to answer basic questions about their model, or provide reference to experimental evidence demonstrating the mechanisms of their model (eg. gravity).

5. Inability to employ or understand Occam's Razor: Check. When we look out our window we see a Flat Earth. RE proponents cannot understand why this suggests a Flat Earth. RE proponents urge us to disbelieve our own senses.

6. Inability to tell good evidence from bad: Check. REers constantly reference NASA evidence as if it were God's gospel. In reality NASA's evidence has not been peer reviewed or reproduced at all.

8. Leaping to conclusions: Check. "Flat Earth Theory does not provide a detailed mechanism for such and such phenomena. Therefore Flat Earth Theory is false."

9. Using previous conspiracies as evidence to support their claims: Check. RE proponents make appleals to authority constantly. The earth is a sphere because the Ancient Greeks thought the earth was a sphere. It's conveniently forgotten that the Greeks also thought the earth was the center of the universe and that fruit flies spontaneously emerged from rotting meat.

10. It's always a conspiracy: Check. NASA is honest because NASA says they're honest. REers may as well say "the bible is true because the bible says it's true."

Why, in just one post we find extreme examples of 1 and 6.  Plus, Tom apparently doesn't understand what the word "conspiracy" means, as evidenced by his response to 10.  How ironic.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2007, 11:00:10 AM »
Plus, Tom apparently doesn't understand what the word "conspiracy" means, as evidenced by his response to 10.

RE proponents shout "Conspiracy!" all the time. Unwilling to accept experimental evidence from Rowbotham, Lady Blount, Samuel Shenton, Thomas Winship, or one of the hundreds of other Flat Earth authors and independent investigators, REers do nothing by shout "Conspiracy!"

It's all a Conspiracy, according to RE proponents.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 11:14:56 AM by Tom Bishop »

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2007, 11:02:06 AM »
No, REers do nothing but shout "Evidence!"  It's the FEers who do nothing but shout "Conspiracy!" whenever such credible evidence is presented.  You have it backwards, but that's okay because you're a very backwards kind of dude.

« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2007, 11:17:07 AM »
Plus, Tom apparently doesn't understand what the word "conspiracy" means, as evidenced by his response to 10.

RE proponents shout "Conspiracy!" all the time. Unwilling to accept experimental evidence from Rowbotham, Lady Blount, Samuel Shenton, Thomas Winship, or one of the hundreds of other Flat Earth authors and independent investigators, REers do nothing by shout "Conspiracy!"

It's all a Conspiracy, according to RE proponents.
Really? Then you should have no trouble finding a quote from me from yesterday where I said that a conspiracy explains the evidence. Or anytime. Or by any RE proponent. What evidence do you bring to the table to support your outlandish claim?

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2007, 11:26:33 AM »
Again you forget that the Soviets returned Moon rocks too. The experiments have been repeated. For example, the Apollo 11 reflector for measuring the distance to the Moon is regularly repeated by various organization around the world. Clearly this is yet another case where you lie. Produce your evidence that "NASA's evidence has not been peer reviewed or reproduced at all" or be considered a liar yet again.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2007, 11:36:32 AM »
Really? Then you should have no trouble finding a quote from me from yesterday where I said that a conspiracy explains the evidence. Or anytime. Or by any RE proponent. What evidence do you bring to the table to support your outlandish claim?

A little while back I described an experiment I conducted over a bay, which suggested a Flat Earth. Your immediate response was to call me a liar. Therefore you've invoked a Conspiracy.

TheEngineer says that there is no curvature from the altitude of an international flight. You also called him a liar. Again, you've invoked a Conspiracy.

Again you forget that the Soviets returned Moon rocks too. The experiments have been repeated.

The Soviet missions are not well documented, and therefore unacceptable as proof. For example, it's unclear whether the Soviets saw a Flat Earth or a Round Earth.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 11:40:50 AM by Tom Bishop »

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2007, 11:38:14 AM »

A little while back I described an experiment I conducted over a bay, which suggested a Flat Earth. Your immediate response was to call me a liar. Therefore you've invoked a Conspiracy.

As if I needed more evidence that Tom doesn't even have any idea what the word "conspiracy" means, he produces it.  Nice one, Tom.  ::)

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2007, 11:44:33 AM »
As if I needed more evidence that Tom doesn't even have any idea what the word "conspiracy" means, he produces it.  Nice one, Tom.

Rowbotham conducts experiments showing that the surface of standing water does not curve in the manner supposed. You called him a liar. Therefore you've invoked a Conspiracy.

The recurring publication Earth Not a Globe Review reinforces Rowbotham's claim. You called the authors liars. Therefore you've invoked a Conspiracy.

Lady Blount and Mr. Clifton provide photographic evidence of a Flat Earth. You call them liars. Therefore you've invoked a Conspiracy.

Samuel Shenton and Leo Ferrari provide additional photographic evidence of a Flat Earth. You call them liars. Therefore you've invoked a Conspiracy.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2007, 11:53:27 AM by Tom Bishop »

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2007, 11:47:51 AM »

TheEngineer says that there is no curvature from the altitude of an international flight. You also called him a liar. Again, you've invoked a Conspiracy.

Again you forget that the Soviets returned Moon rocks too. The experiments have been repeated.

The Soviet missions are not well documented, and therefore unacceptable as proof. For example, it's unclear whether the Soviets saw a Flat Earth or a Round Earth.
You fail. Calling someone a liar is not invoking conspiracy. You've been challenged to produce evidence, complete with a monetary incentive. (We're still waiting on you, by the way.) Also with the "South Sea Voyage" incident, your status as a liar is documented quite well.

The Soviet missions are better documented than anything the Parallax did. There are moon rocks in Russian museums today. There are many photographs of the Earth demonstrating it to be spherical. You're all wet.

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2007, 11:48:56 AM »
As if I needed more evidence that Tom doesn't even have any idea what the word "conspiracy" means, he produces it.  Nice one, Tom.

Rowbotham conducts experiments showing that the surface of standing water does not curve in the manner supposed. You called him a liar. Therefor you've invoked a Conspiracy.

Lady Blount and Mr. Clifton provide photographic evidence of a Flat Earth. You call them a liar. Therefore you've invoked a Conspiracy.

Samuel Shenton and Leo Ferrari provide additional photographic evidence of a Flat Earth. You call them liars. Therefore you've invoked a Conspiracy.
Provide proof that we call all these people liars.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2007, 11:54:58 AM »

Rowbotham conducts experiments showing that the surface of standing water does not curve in the manner supposed. You called him a liar. Therefor you've invoked a Conspiracy.

The recurring publication Earth Not a Globe Review reinforces Rowbotham's claim. You called the authors liars. Therefore you've invoked a Conspiracy.

Lady Blount and Mr. Clifton provide photographic evidence of a Flat Earth. You call them liars. Therefore you've invoked a Conspiracy.

See, Tom, a conspiracy is when two or more people get together (conspire; have you ever conspired to do something by yourself?  ::)) to do something unlawful.  Simply accusing you of lying does not invoke conspiracy.

sokarul

• Discount Chemist
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2007, 12:06:42 PM »

These two strike me more then the others. 
1. There is no question that the FET has an answer for that the RET doesn't.  I keep asking for one and no one posts one up.  Gravity is not a question, it has been answered many times.  People are taught gravity until they take an physics class that teaches GR. 

2. lol at toms attempt to make an argument out of an argument that bent him over.  We don't believe NASA is honest because NASA  says they are honest.  I wont speak for everyone, so I believe in NASA from what I have seen.  Did I see lights from a satellite or a underpowered balloon traveling at 27,000km/h?  I could just go on and on.   
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2007, 12:52:03 PM »
Oh and Tom, I don't necessarily say that Rowbotham is a liar (though I speculate it may be thus based on the documented fact that he was also a quack). I mostly say that he's an idiot and that I can rip up his ENaG explanations. Oh and yeah, please grab yourself a dictionary and learn the meaning of the word 'conspiracy'.
Hmm... A good solid RE arguement and not an FE'er in sight. ::)
Oh, no...they're here. It's just that damn perspective..

?

trig

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2007, 03:31:28 PM »

You fail. Calling someone a liar is not invoking conspiracy. You've been challenged to produce evidence, complete with a monetary incentive. (We're still waiting on you, by the way.) Also with the "South Sea Voyage" incident, your status as a liar is documented quite well.

The Soviet missions are better documented than anything the Parallax did. There are moon rocks in Russian museums today. There are many photographs of the Earth demonstrating it to be spherical. You're all wet.
To complement our point, there is no conspiracy if there is only one conspirator, by definition.

If the Round Earth proponents have said even once that two people decided to concoct a deception to make us doubt our beliefs, there is a conspiracy. Have you ever heard anything like that?

I didn't think so.

Ulrichomega

• Bring it Bishop.
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2007, 07:56:02 PM »
1. Arrogance. They are always fact-seekers, questioners, people who are trying to discover the truth: sceptics are always "sheep", patsies for Messrs Bush and Blair etc.

2. Relentlessness. They will always go on and on about a conspiracy no matter how little evidence they have to go on or how much of what they have is simply discredited. (Moreover, as per 1. above, even if you listen to them ninety-eight times, the ninety-ninth time, when you say "no thanks", you'll be called a "sheep" again.) Additionally, they have no capacity for precis whatsoever. They go on and on at enormous length.

3. Inability to answer questions. For people who loudly advertise their determination to the principle of questioning everything, they're pretty poor at answering direct questions from sceptics about the claims that they make.

4. Fondness for certain stock phrases. These include Cicero's "cui bono?" (of which it can be said that Cicero understood the importance of having evidence to back it up) and Conan Doyle's "once we have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however unlikely, must be the truth". What these phrases have in common is that they are attempts to absolve themselves from any responsibility to produce positive, hard evidence themselves: you simply "eliminate the impossible" (i.e. say the official account can't stand scrutiny) which means that the wild allegation of your choice, based on "cui bono?" (which is always the government) is therefore the truth.

5. Inability to employ or understand Occam's Razor. Aided by the principle in 4. above, conspiracy theorists never notice that the small inconsistencies in the accounts which they reject are dwarfed by the enormous, gaping holes in logic, likelihood and evidence in any alternative account.

6. Inability to tell good evidence from bad. Conspiracy theorists have no place for peer-review, for scientific knowledge, for the respectability of sources. The fact that a claim has been made by anybody, anywhere, is enough for them to reproduce it and demand that the questions it raises be answered, as if intellectual enquiry were a matter of responding to every rumour. While they do this, of course, they will claim to have "open minds" and abuse the sceptics for apparently lacking same.

7. Inability to withdraw. It's a rare day indeed when a conspiracy theorist admits that a claim they have made has turned out to be without foundation, whether it be the overall claim itself or any of the evidence produced to support it. Moreover they have a liking (see 3. above) for the technique of avoiding discussion of their claims by "swamping" - piling on a whole lot more material rather than respond to the objections sceptics make to the previous lot.

8. Leaping to conclusions. Conspiracy theorists are very keen indeed to declare the "official" account totally discredited without having remotely enough cause so to do. Of course this enables them to wheel on the Conan Doyle quote as in 4. above. Small inconsistencies in the account of an event, small unanswered questions, small problems in timing of differences in procedure from previous events of the same kind are all more than adequate to declare the "official" account clearly and definitively discredited. It goes without saying that it is not necessary to prove that these inconsistencies are either relevant, or that they even definitely exist.

9. Using previous conspiracies as evidence to support their claims. This argument invokes scandals like the Birmingham Six, the Bologna station bombings, the Zinoviev letter and so on in order to try and demonstrate that their conspiracy theory should be accorded some weight (because it's “happened before”.) They do not pause to reflect that the conspiracies they are touting are almost always far more unlikely and complicated than the real-life conspiracies with which they make comparison, or that the fact that something might potentially happen does not, in and of itself, make it anything other than extremely unlikely.

10. It's always a conspiracy. And it is, isn't it? No sooner has the body been discovered, the bomb gone off, than the same people are producing the same old stuff, demanding that there are questions which need to be answered, at the same unbearable length. Because the most important thing about these people is that they are people entirely lacking in discrimination. They cannot tell a good theory from a bad one, they cannot tell good evidence from bad evidence and they cannot tell a good source from a bad one. And for that reason, they always come up with the same answer when they ask the same question.

1. Arrogance, the Fe'ers question everything, etc.

2. Relentlessness: "Go on and on about the Conspiracy with little or no evidence" I so far have seen no evidence for the Conspiracy, yet every site that has given information in favor of RE is immediadtly thrown out by Tom because it gets funding from NASA (which, even if NASA was a Conspiracy wouldn't mean that they weren't real results). Tom then ignores every attempt to prove that the information is valid, and thinks he has won.

3. Inability to answer questions: Need I say more?

4. Fondness of phrases: Ice Wall, UA, Shadow Object, etc., etc.,...

5. Inability to employ Occam's Razor: Oh dear Tom. Unknown UA versus Gravity. Spotlights which are constantly debunked versus us going around Sun and Moon going around us. Mysterious and never documented Ice Wall (Shut up about Ross Tom, just shut up) versus no end of the Earth. I would go on but it gets more embarrassing.

6. Inability to tell Good evid. from Bad evid: Rowbatham's (sp?) obvious religiousness and never again repeated experiments (other than one or two times). I would put other evidence here, but I cannot think of anymore.

7. Inability to withdraw: Woah boy, I think that the FE'ers are actually opposite. If good evidence comes against them, they don't debunk it, they run for the hills. They run so far away that if they ever return to the thread it is a miracle. If they do stay, they continue with the original theories and evidence no matter how many times it has been disproven.

8. Jumping to Conclusions: FE'ers jump to the conclusion that they have won the second that they post their evidence, and never look at the counter evidence.

9. Referral to former Conspiracies: Don't really understand this one.

10. Always a Conspiracy: Let me count the times that Conspiracy has been invoked by the FE'ers.

1. Persistance does not equal unworthiness. Next time you want to disprove this, do something original. I hear that proof is really hot these days. (see what I did there?(for non House fans, to bad))

2. I think that it aplies exactly the same to FE'ers, and not to RE'ers, proof is needed.

3. WTF are you talking about? "Inability to answer basic questions?" In a recently resurected thread, you ask every question you could think of, and they were all answered exactly.

4. And you guys are creative?

5. You're only arguement here is that our senses show a round earth? Total Bullshit. Actual  proofs and theories show a simpler RE.

6. Has ENaG been peer reviewed? When you answer Lady Blount I will say "Only one time, any others?" Also, proof or at least an arguement that we refer to NASA as the best evidence for an RE. When in reality you just draw lines between the evidence and NASA (usually false). When these are proven false, you continue to say that they are controlled by NASA. You fail.

7. You barely come and then withraw, so: Point RE.

8. I do believe that this is exactly the conclusion that you draw as well. However we do not "jump" to conclusions. All evidence that I have seen points to RE. Therefore I believe in an RE. Is that jumping? No.

9. Yes, becuase flies coming from random objects obviously proves an FE.

10. Where as ENaG is true because of...

Take that Bishop...
I'm so tempted to put a scratch and sniff at the bottom of a pool and see what you do...

Avert your eyes, this is too awesome for them...

Ulrichomega

• Bring it Bishop.
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2007, 08:25:56 AM »
I'm so tempted to put a scratch and sniff at the bottom of a pool and see what you do...

Avert your eyes, this is too awesome for them...