The Curvature of the Earth

• 22 Replies
« on: March 30, 2006, 07:54:41 PM »
How does the FE model take into account the curvature of the Earth?  Why is it that when looking out to sea you can only see a ship if it is less than 15 miles from the coast?  Why can't we point telescopes out to sea and look at other countries?  Also, if you were to lay a flat board that streched from California to Hawaii where it was flat on the ground in California then it would be way above the ground in Hawaii due to the curvature of the earth.  Need proof?  The Boeing Field hangar in Everett Washington was so long that when designing it they had to take the curvature of the Earth into account so that it would not be ground level at one end and 10 feet of the ground at the other.  Just google it.

?

Galileo

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2006, 08:09:54 PM »
Why can't you see a boat 15 miles away from shore?  Wow smart guy, I can hardly ever see anything when its 15 miles away!  Dust is often present at concentration levels of over 400ppbv, meaning that over a 15 mile distance, there would be at least 3.168x10^7 particles in between you and a boat in the distance.  Begging your pardon, but I'm amazed with the amount of smog in the air these days that you can even see mountains or whatnot, let alone a dingy.

The rest of your arguement makes no sense.  When was the last time you had a flat board long enough to stretch from hawaii to california?  Yeah, thats what I thought.  What if, what if, what if.  Keep bringing the arguements buddy, we'll keep debunking them.

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2006, 08:16:19 PM »
Well how can you see space?  Buddy.  Your the flower.  So when you look up through your smog and fog you see stars right?  Well the earth atmosphere is about 150km thick which is about 94 miles.  When you look through all that you can see things that are distances away measured in light years.  Come up with a real argument and I might take you seriously.

?

EnragedPenguin

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 08:26:26 PM »
Quote from: "Sir Isaac"
Well how can you see space?  Buddy.  Your the flower.  So when you look up through your smog and fog you see stars right?  Well the earth atmosphere is about 150km thick which is about 94 miles.  When you look through all that you can see things that are distances away measured in light years.  Come up with a real argument and I might take you seriously.

How can you see space? note that you can only see stars during the night, that's because there is no sunlight bouncing off the dust and water particles in the air. Atmosphere blocks out the boats during the day, and during the night you can't see them because there's no sunlight to reflect off of them.
A different world cannot be built by indifferent people.

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 08:28:44 PM »
Ok ok valid point with the particle sun felection thing but how does atmosphere block out boats?

?

Galileo

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2006, 08:39:00 PM »
Okay, so try this.  Go to your attic, or somewhere else where its really dusty.  Turn off the lights, and keep a flashlight with you.  Blow some dust around and then shine the flashlight through the dust.  See how you can tell that its moving around and its a big cloud of haze?  Well imagine looking through 15 miles of that, thats why it blocks out boats that are far away in the distance.

Its like when you're following a car on a gravel road.  Sometimes it can be right in front of you but its so dusty you can't see it.  Now you might think that that doesnt make sense because the air over the ocean isnt normally as dusty as behind a car on a gravel road, and its true, its not that dusty, but when you're looking through 15 miles of dust, it has the same effect.

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2006, 08:45:14 PM »
So what you are saying is that the ocean is dusty?  Why is it instant dust?  If you watch a boat with a telescope that is going out to sea you see it get smaller and smaller right?  Ok well doesn't it get so small that you can't see it anymore? No!  It you have good enough optics and watch carefully you will gradualy see the boat shrink it height as it moves AROUND the earth.  It it had a sail or somthing like that after a while you would just see the sail then finally the tip of the mast then nothing.  Is this due to the dust?

?

Galileo

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2006, 08:51:05 PM »
No, its not instant dust, the dust is always present, its just that as it grows stronger and stronger because the object you're looking at is farther away, you're going to see the object fade out and get blurry until you just can't see it.

As for only seeing parts of the boat as it gets further out from shore, have you ever heard of waves?  Thats why they obscure your view, not because the boat is sinking into the water.

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2006, 09:05:15 PM »
Ok just forget the small picture things.  What about when astronaughts went to the moon?  Wern't they able to see the earth spinning AROUND?  Or was the spotlight sun just focusing on different areas at different times?

?

Galileo

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2006, 09:34:41 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_moon_landing_hoax_accusations

Do I really need to explain that its all just a big cover-up?  If you did any outside research, you'd know this already.

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2006, 09:37:30 PM »
Ok well no one can trus Wikipedia because you can edit the sites.  Just go to the link you provided me and I will prove it.  Now if you have believeable evidence that we did not go there then I will listen.

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2006, 05:16:45 AM »
The dust thing fails: let the ship receede until it is only just no longer visibile, presumably due to dust.  Climb a tall tower.  By Pythagoras, the distance between you and the ship has increased, and thus so has the amount of dust.  And yet, the ship suddenly reappears.

-Erasmus
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

?

joffenz

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2006, 07:39:27 AM »
So far FE has yet to come up with a convincing explanation as to why ships appear to sink over the horizon. The best response is to ask for actualy proof of this event, eg a video of this actually happening.

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2006, 07:46:51 AM »
Quote from: "cheesejoff"
So far FE has yet to come up with a convincing explanation as to why ships appear to sink over the horizon(mabey they shrink-grim). The best response is to ask for actualy proof of this event, eg a video of this actually happening.

yes but the FEers will say oooo its fake and you cant prove its not- bitch bitc bitch seriously every shread of proof against the woruld being a sphere is a doctored picture of part of a conspisy.
-grim

?

EnragedPenguin

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2006, 08:13:15 AM »
Quote from: "Erasmus"
The dust thing fails: let the ship receede until it is only just no longer visibile, presumably due to dust.  Climb a tall tower.  By Pythagoras, the distance between you and the ship has increased, and thus so has the amount of dust.  And yet, the ship suddenly reappears.

-Erasmus

Oh oh I know, try this on for size: It's not dust particles, it's moisture in the air, there's more moisture directly over the ocean than there is higher up, so when you climb the tower you're looking over the top of it so you can see farther.

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2006, 08:51:56 AM »
Quote from: "EnragedPenguin"

-Erasmus

Oh oh I know, try this on for size: It's not dust particles, it's moisture in the air, there's more moisture directly over the ocean than there is higher up, so when you climb the tower you're looking over the top of it so you can see farther.

yes but you wold see the mosture a steam and ocens dont steam
-grim

?

EnragedPenguin

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2006, 09:30:32 AM »
Quote from: "the grim squeaker"

-grim

Why?

On a humid day you don't see all the extra moisture as steam do you?

I wasn't saying the water itself was blocking your view, I was saying that the sunlight reflecting off of it was (or rather, it would be), which is the same reason you can't see stars during the day.

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2006, 10:59:56 AM »

Then why does it work over deserts as well?

?

EnragedPenguin

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2006, 11:48:25 AM »
Then why does it work over deserts as well?

Ummm...damn.

Well I guess since I've never seen a ship dissapear over the horizon in a desert, it doesn't matter anyway. :D

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2006, 11:49:01 AM »

-grim

Why?

On a humid day you don't see all the extra moisture as steam do you?

its several trillion gallons of water dipshit
on a hot day it might warm up by 0.000...1 degree f

Edit: EnragedPenguin (sorry, I had to take out most of your zeros because they were messing up the whole page).

?

EnragedPenguin

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2006, 11:52:52 AM »

No no no no no, I meant why would you have to see the water as steam, not 'why don't oceans steam'.

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2006, 11:54:15 AM »

No no no no no, I meant why would you have to see the water as steam, not why don't oceans steam.

my apologys i misread what you said

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2006, 12:10:16 PM »
Well I guess since I've never seen a ship dissapear over the horizon in a desert, it doesn't matter anyway. :D

Sure you have.  It's just that the ships were huge and made of rock and shaped like mountains; that's why you were confused.

-Erasmus