I guess no one saw this...

• 17 Replies

RENTAKOW

• REPENT. THE END IS EXTREMELY FUCKING NIGH!
I guess no one saw this...
« on: June 20, 2007, 11:35:45 AM »
From a previous post:

Your post?

After looking closer through the alleged images of the midnight sun, and I can say for certain that what is being seen isn’t the sun at all. What is being seen is the simply reflection of the sun occurring through a natural method.

Why can this illusion not be reproduced?

Some of us might recall that a little while back this picture was posted on our forums as a photograph of the midnight sun. As I recall, the exact comments were something along the lines of “What the hell, that looks like a star!” Clearly, this portrayal of the sun is entirely out of line with what we are used to seeing. The everyday sun is usually in the form of a ball. A bit of explaining on both sides of the fence will be necessary for why the midnight sun looks like a multi-pointed Christmas star in each of its images throughout the internet.

1) If people are snapping pictures all over the place in the antarctic, how can the government continue to support its conspiracy? 2) I will assume my "ball" you actually mean "disc" to support your own theory.

As an analogy I’m sure that everyone here can think back and agree with me that when looking at the reflection of the sun bounced off the surface of a shiny car we will see this exact effect. The sun will be turned into a Christmas star. Why this happens, the exact physical process, is the result of an uneven reflecting surface. The main point I am conveying is that the sun looks different in a reflection (star shaped) than it does when observed directly by the naked eye (ball shaped).

The "star" appearance is due to the diffused refraction of the ice crystals and not the reflection. A simple planisphere can confirm that the bright object you see is the original source of light and not a reflected image.

Now, as we are told, the midnight sun happens in the Northern and Southern polar regions. By necessity these two extremities will be a bit chilly, covered by tundra of ice and snow. The local polar atmosphere will be saturated with ice crystals. It is these ice crystals, inherent in the upper polar atmosphere, which can create the illusion of the midnight sun.

By refracting the light into a star pattern.

Indeed, sun illusions are widely known to occur in chilly areas. It is common in some parts of the world to see two suns in the sky simultaneously. From a popular astronomical discrepancy website the following is posted:

“I was driving home the other day and I was observing the sunset as I have a habit of doing lately and it was cloudy. The thing I noticed was that you could definitely tell there were two light sources. One sun was already setting while another bright orb was still in the clouds. There were two suns in the sky!” — Nancy

You may want to cite that buddy. I giggled a bit when I read "driving home the other day". I wish I could get a job in the mail room of Antarctica City. I could climb the Ross Ice Shelf and peer into the dark abyss of the edge of the world. Very dramatic, but fantasy.

The official explanation for these reflected suns is exactly what I’ve suspected; a high saturation of ice crystals in the upper strata. These reflected suns appear all throughout the day, usually during the winter months, moving through the sky. As the real sun moves (perhaps hidden to the observer by perspective), so does its reflection upon the upper polar strata. The reflected sun moves along the ice crystals of the sky, moving in tandem with the real sun, dancing slowly around the observer over a period of 24 hours.

Where is the documentation for the experiment? Have you seen this mirage with your own eyes? Are their any pictures confirming 2 apparent suns in one sky?

Such odd and vibrant effects are not uncommon in the polar areas. Due to the environment, and the ice crystals throughout the atmosphere, optical illusions are extremely common.

I believe it.

What should be down becomes up.

This illusion can be reproduced

What was once expected becomes unexpected.

Sun dogs occur in other environments.

As every polar explorer could personally tell you, mirages and illusions of every sort are common and apparent throughout the day.

I think we have established that.

"The land looks like a fairytale." — Roald Amundsen about Antarctica.

sokarul

• Extra Racist
Re: I guess no one saw this...
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 12:38:08 PM »
We saw it, we all just thought it was stupid. 
His magical theory does not equal fact. 
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

RENTAKOW

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 12:42:58 PM »
So Big Tuna is out of ideas? C'mon Tuna! I know you can think of SOMETHING!

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 01:16:45 PM »
Your post?

Yes.

The illusion can be reproduced. Look up "midnight sun" in Google Image Search and you will find that in each images the sun appears as a starry glare, hardly resembling the regular sun we are used to seeing in the sky. I have provided a mechanism by which this glare can take place. There is no Round Earth explanation for this phenomena.

1) If people are snapping pictures all over the place in the antarctic, how can the government continue to support its conspiracy? 2) I will assume my "ball" you actually mean "disc" to support your own theory.

For the last 150 years Flat Earth Literature has held that the sun is a sphere.

You may want to cite that buddy. I giggled a bit when I read "driving home the other day". I wish I could get a job in the mail room of Antarctica City. I could climb the Ross Ice Shelf and peer into the dark abyss of the edge of the world. Very dramatic, but fantasy.

Plenty of people live in the Arctic Circle.

Where is the documentation for the experiment? Have you seen this mirage with your own eyes? Are their any pictures confirming 2 apparent suns in one sky?

Yes, yes, and yes. The double sun illusion is widely known and popularized among astronomical phenomena. Look up "multiple sun illusion."

Fred Klein states the following on The Asterisk, an astronomy website:

"It was a bright clear winter day when I happened to look up at the sun while stopped at a traffic light. I was amazed to see TWO perfectly identical suns - one above the other - distinctly separated. Both were surrounded by a streaky band of clouds. The brightness of the sun(s) was sufficiently diffused by the clouds to permit direct viewing without discomfort.

Now, I'm guessing it was an unusual ice crystal refractive phenomenonon; however I've never heard it mentioned in the literature. Perhaps one of you can explain this phenomena or point me to a reference/pictures.

Specifics...

I'm guessing it was about 2PM, quite cold - in the 20-30F range. The location was over land - however, Long Island Sound is about 2 miles away."

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 01:22:14 PM »
The illusion can be reproduced. Look up "midnight sun" in Google Image Search and you will find that in each images the sun appears as a starry glare, hardly resembling the regular sun we are used to seeing in the sky. I have provided a mechanism by which this glare can take place. There is no Round Earth explanation for this phenomena.
The act of thier being a midnight sun does not make your idea right. 
The RET perfectly explains a midnight sun.   
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 01:38:05 PM »
Your explanation is not explained in the least. You've been challenged with a dozen unanswered challenges. Go soak your head.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 02:47:27 PM »
Your explanation is not explained in the least. You've been challenged with a dozen unanswered challenges. Go soak your head.

... in lighter fluid, then find an open flame.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

?

Skeptical ATM

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 03:20:11 PM »
If the sun is a sphere why does it radiate light like a spotlight? Does it have a funnel attached to it?

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 03:21:28 PM »
I've asked him the same question numerous times and you wont get a response. Tom doesnt like things that discredit him
Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open.

*cough* Tom *cough*

?

Skeptical ATM

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 03:27:47 PM »
See the spotlight theory itself barely supports itself. When you start saying things like 'it is a sphere' then you just shoot yourself in the foot. I mean, I believe the sun is a sphere, but then so is Earth. So moot point according to Tom.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 03:33:03 PM »
I believe the sun is a sphere, but then so is Earth. So moot point according to Tom.

The sun is not the earth.

If the sun is a sphere why does it radiate light like a spotlight?

The sun is small and close to the earth. One cannot see the sun at midnight because it has passed beyond perception. Also, consult Chapter 14 of Earth not a Globe.

The act of thier being a midnight sun does not make your idea right.
The RET perfectly explains a midnight sun.   

What evidence is there showing that the midnight sun moves and behaves in the way predicted by a Round Earth?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 03:35:08 PM by Tom Bishop »

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2007, 03:34:44 PM »
I believe the sun is a sphere, but then so is Earth. So moot point according to Tom.

The sun is not the earth.

If the sun is a sphere why does it radiate light like a spotlight?

The sun is small and close to the earth. One cannot see the sun at midnight because it is too far away. Also, consult Chapter 14 of Earth not a Globe.
Don't bother. It's rubbish. We've refuted Tom's outlandish claim numerous time. Heck, this will probably even make the next version or so of the RE Primer.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2007, 03:35:25 PM »
At this point Tom is a verified liar and we should take nothing he says seriously.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

?

Skeptical ATM

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2007, 03:39:55 PM »
1) I mean because I must be wrong, since I believe the Earth is a sphere. You neeed to learn to read.

2) Bollocks. And you know it. If it was a sphere and radiated light, that light would hit us constantly, bar when obstructed. So it would be constant daytime.

RENTAKOW

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2007, 07:35:39 PM »
Your post?

Yes.

Can you provide a link?

Yes it can, the ice crystals in the atmosphere refract the sunlight into a pattern much like a stoplight when viewed through a dirty windshield. Simply put, it is caused by glare.

For the last 150 years Flat Earth Literature has held that the sun is a sphere.

I understand that you do not believe in a conspiracy, since the edge of the earth is infinite (which means NASA does not fake any pictures from outside the earths atmosphere). Then please explain how the sun projects like a spot light (as asked by others in this thread).

Plenty of people live in the Arctic Circle.

This isn't about the arctic circle at all.

Yes, yes, and yes. The double sun illusion is widely known and popularized among astronomical phenomena. Look up "multiple sun illusion."

Fred Klein states the following on The Asterisk, an astronomy website:

"It was a bright clear winter day when I happened to look up at the sun while stopped at a traffic light. I was amazed to see TWO perfectly identical suns - one above the other - distinctly separated. Both were surrounded by a streaky band of clouds. The brightness of the sun(s) was sufficiently diffused by the clouds to permit direct viewing without discomfort.

Now, I'm guessing it was an unusual ice crystal refractive phenomenonon; however I've never heard it mentioned in the literature. Perhaps one of you can explain this phenomena or point me to a reference/pictures.

Specifics...

I'm guessing it was about 2PM, quite cold - in the 20-30F range. The location was over land - however, Long Island Sound is about 2 miles away."

What a big fucking waste of time on your part (assuming you didn't copy and paste everything besides Fred Kleins article). This isn't about the arctic circle.

]
This whole thing pertains to the midnight sun occurring in the Antarctic circle.

RENTAKOW

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2007, 02:22:13 PM »
*Glances at knock-off Rolex on wrist.*
Ok Tom, nap time is over...

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2007, 07:56:57 PM »
What evidence is there showing that the midnight sun moves and behaves in the way predicted by a Round Earth?
Look out your window during the day. 
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

RENTAKOW

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2007, 08:59:34 PM »
Would anyone object to another bump?

Oh. Too late.