Fixed FE Theory

• 33 Replies
Fixed FE Theory
« on: June 20, 2007, 09:19:28 AM »
In light of the glaring holes that have been pointed out with the current "Oxford" and "Cambridge" theories of a Flat Earth, I thought I would do everyone on the FE side a favor and construct a working model that fixes these problems. It requires a slight expansion of the conspiracy theory involved, but it's much more internally consistent.

Note that I am not personally advocating a belief one way or another. I'm simply proposing a model of events that explains the phenomena we see in the world around us and maintains internal consistency. If you see any holes in this theory, feel free to point them out.

Question: So what is the Harvard Flat Earth Theory?

Answer: The Harvard Flat Earth Theory is a lot like other theories of the Earth's flatness put forward; in this model, the Earth is a more or less perfectly flat disc, being accelerated upwards at a constant rate, producing an effect that people confuse with gravity.

There are two main differences between this and preceding theories, that make this theory much stronger.

1) In this theory, instead of being tiny discs that hover over the Earth somehow, the Sun and Moon are arbitrarily large sources of energy that are circling the known Universe at an arbitrarily long distance from us. This explains why the Sun and Moon rise and set, and why the Earth is able to continually accelerate- the energy lost from the acceleration is being exactly replaced by the energy from the Sun and Moon, absorbed by the gigantic Earth-Mushroom.

Question: Wait, mushroom?

Answer: Oh, yes. In this theory, rather than being some random cylinder of rock, the Earth is actually supported by a mushroom. Well, it doesn't have to be a mushroom per se, but some plant-like form of life. This leads us to the next big difference:

2) Unlike in other FE theories, which are actually insidiously subtle attempts to conceal The Truth, only most of North America exists under the Harvard Theory. This explains why every real person sees the Sun arcing across the sky in the same direction. Of course, being the top of the Mushroom, the Earth is actually slightly raised, so that some will see the Sun sinking behind the Horizon a little earlier than others.

Question: All of North America?

Answer: Good question. Well, most of North America, certainly. I've been to Canada and the East and West Coast, and Hawaii, so I know at least those are real. I'm not so sure about Mexico.

Question: What about all the people who claim to have been to Europe, Asia, etc.?

Answer: They're all part of the conspiracy to hide The Truth. Things like photos of Prague or Shangai are usually photoshopped or made in Hollywood studios.

Question: Wouldn't it be hard to keep a conspiracy this size a secret?

Answer: Actually, it wouldn't.

Answer #2: To be more precise, the conspiracy isn't a secret. Lots of people know about it. Think of all the people you know who claim to have been to London. They just never told you about it.

Question: Wouldn't there be some evidence of the giant mushroom wall holding in the Earth's oceans?

Answer: No. Giant eskimos live on top of the world and throw rocks at any approaching ships. The very fact that no known photos of these giant eskimos have ever emerged is a grim testament to the thoroughness of this conspiracy.

Question: What does this conspiracy have to gain?

Answer: The first, obvious impulse is to say money, but alliances based around greed are notoriously difficult to maintain, especially over such a large network. I think the more logical explanation is that the conspirators are all members of a secret race of wombat-people whose only goal is to enslave the human race into complacency to harness our psychic energy.

Question: What about the other stars and planets?

Answer: They're just stars and planets. Duh. Do I have to explain physics to you?

Question: What about tides?

Answer: The giant eskimos enjoy swimming and splashing each other playfully. That's what causes tides.

Question: ...Radio waves?

Answer: Everyone who works at or knows how to operate a so-called radio is part of the conspiracy.

Question: No one's ever seen the eskimos swimming from their ship? Seriously?

Answer: Well, it is a little unlikely. It's highly probable that most people who own boats are part of the Conspiracy, however.

Question: But if the Moon is arbitrarily large, what causes it's shadow? Also, wouldn't we still be going at a speed many, many, many powers the speed of light by this time?

Answer: You tell me, wombat-person. You're the one that's so hot for my soul.

Question: Congratulations on discovering our plot, puny human- little good though it may do you. How did you ever uncover our sinister agenda?

Answer: Logic, my friend- and a little thing called American Sticktoitiveness.

Viva la resistance!

Re: Fixed FE Theory
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 09:27:36 AM »
shortest post.. ever.
Minds are like parachutes. They only function when they are open.

*cough* Tom *cough*

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 09:38:36 AM »
I think Joe_Grim makes an excellent point. FE continues to hide behind the various techniques he uses in the Harvard Variation. His paraody should cause all of us to ponder the reason we tolerate such evasion from FE.

If you can't explain it, call it a conspiracy.

If you can't explain it, make up a new variation.

Really, I'd like to see a debate on the reason we should tolerate "conspiracy" as an excuse for FE's failure to provide answers or to explain evidence that stares them in the face.

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 10:03:08 AM »
Uhhm, ok...

?

Skeptical ATM

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2007, 10:06:01 AM »
We shouldnt tolerate it as a debate tool. But the fact is, these people believe the world is flat, so there must be a conspiracy hding the truth. They use the fact that a portion of science is explainable by FE as well as RE to make the claim valid.

Ulrichomega

• Bring it Bishop.
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2007, 10:06:16 AM »
I think Joe_Grim makes an excellent point. FE continues to hide behind the various techniques he uses in the Harvard Variation. His paraody should cause all of us to ponder the reason we tolerate such evasion from FE.

If you can't explain it, call it a conspiracy.

If you can't explain it, make up a new variation.

Really, I'd like to see a debate on the reason we should tolerate "conspiracy" as an excuse for FE's failure to provide answers or to explain evidence that stares them in the face.

If that's not already in the Primer, add it now.
I'm so tempted to put a scratch and sniff at the bottom of a pool and see what you do...

Avert your eyes, this is too awesome for them...

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2007, 10:20:53 AM »
The Earth is round.

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2007, 10:27:38 AM »
The Earth is round.

Your brain is small.

Ulrichomega

• Bring it Bishop.
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 11:39:06 AM »
The Earth is round.

SHUT UP!!!!!

Have you posted anything other than this?
I'm so tempted to put a scratch and sniff at the bottom of a pool and see what you do...

RENTAKOW

• REPENT. THE END IS EXTREMELY FUCKING NIGH!
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2007, 12:31:31 PM »
Mr. Ireland just points out flaws that a REer might makes in his/her statements. Then, when you ask him which side he's on, he says RE. I think he is very confused. Until he starts to become an active debater you should ignore him.

I liked the parody, I knew exactly what it was once I started reading. Still, don't forget that their is a link in the FAQ's that points to a post about how the conspiracy is done.

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2007, 12:45:24 PM »
Mr. Ireland just points out flaws that a REer might makes in his/her statements. Then, when you ask him which side he's on, he says RE. I think he is very confused. Until he starts to become an active debater you should ignore him.

Actually, I more or less bring up relevent statements made by people that could affect a discussion.  I don't think that would make me a (master hehe) debater.  I'm in no way confused, and if anyone should be ignored, it's you and your spamming.

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2007, 12:54:23 PM »

Actually, I more or less bring up relevent statements made by people that could affect a discussion.  I don't think that would make me a (master hehe) debater.  I'm in no way confused, and if anyone should be ignored, it's you and your spamming.
I remain convinced that Mr. Ireland is one of the greatest assets in the Forum. Please take the time to appreciate his insights. He will, as an honest person, point out problems with anyone's posting. I believe he tries to be constructive, but I suspect he grows tired of the stupidity sometimes. Please, he's a good one.

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2007, 12:57:02 PM »
I remain convinced that Mr. Ireland is one of the greatest assets in the Forum.

YES!  (In a celebratory way)

?

Skeptical ATM

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2007, 03:15:33 PM »
Oh, he points out flaws in RE? And is an REer? Maybe he's bringing up useful points. I do exactly the same thing, and I'm not confused. It's useful.

Go Mr.Ireland.

Trekky0623

• Official Member
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2007, 03:31:18 PM »
The Earth is round.

SHUT UP!!!!!

Have you posted anything other than this?

Ulrichomega

• Bring it Bishop.
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2007, 03:32:08 PM »
yes, I know, I looked it up right after I posted.

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2007, 03:36:56 PM »
Oh, he points out flaws in RE? And is an REer? Maybe he's bringing up useful points. I do exactly the same thing, and I'm not confused. It's useful.

Go Mr.Ireland.
Sorry, I think I should have shared the praise more fairly. ATM is a good guy too!

?

Skeptical ATM

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2007, 03:41:57 PM »
Wasn't fishing, but not complaining ^^

?

trig

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2007, 04:12:05 PM »

1) In this theory, instead of being tiny discs that hover over the Earth somehow, the Sun and Moon are arbitrarily large sources of energy that are circling the known Universe at an arbitrarily long distance from us. This explains why the Sun and Moon rise and set, and why the Earth is able to continually accelerate- the energy lost from the acceleration is being exactly replaced by the energy from the Sun and Moon, absorbed by the gigantic Earth-Mushroom.
The reason why Flat Earthers abandoned the Ptolemaic System, which has a sun and moon arbitrarily big and far away and predicts (sort of) everything you can see in the sky without a good telescope, is the impossibility to explain time zones.

The sad fact is, current FE hypothesis give a poor but existing explanation of time zones but destroy everything that Ptolomey could predict. Their best course of action would be to embrace Ptolomey and declare time zones a conspiracy.

?

Skeptical ATM

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2007, 04:15:10 PM »
I give it 3 months then they will.

RENTAKOW

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2007, 05:12:10 PM »
You bring up misinformed relative statements made by noobs that can otherwise be overlooked. Your right, this does not make you a debater, yet you post in a debate forum. This does not suggest that you are confused?

My spamming eh?
http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=14679.msg238104#msg238104
http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=14591.msg238099#msg238099
http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=14649.msg237768#msg237768
http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=14655.msg237757#msg237757
http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=14467.msg233475#msg233475
http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=14537.msg234210#msg234210
http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=14502.msg233521#msg233521
Do I need to continue? Why don't we finish this up in private messages as to not get this thread off topic.

Dioptimus Drime

• Meep.
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2007, 06:18:33 PM »
How many times has this been done? Thirty?...

Forty-million times?

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2007, 06:21:59 PM »
How many times has this been done? Thirty?...

Forty-million times?

It would certainly reflect poorly on the scientific integrity of the FE community if they clung to an outdated and flawed model over a better-working one forty million times in a row, simply because they thought the better-working one seemed silly. What are you, some sort of lemming that only believes as you're told?

Dioptimus Drime

• Meep.
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2007, 06:37:38 PM »
How is the current model outdated? It's being debated as we speak. Flawed is up for grabs, but all theories are flawed. Yes, even the precious Round Earth Theory.

~D-Draw

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2007, 06:43:02 PM »
No, a debate is point followed by counterpoint. What's happened now is people point out flaws in the FE theory and they're promptly ignored.

« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2007, 06:52:42 PM »
How is the current model outdated? It's being debated as we speak. Flawed is up for grabs, but all theories are flawed. Yes, even the precious Round Earth Theory.

~D-Draw
It's outdated because it doesn't match the experimental evidence gathered in the last 150 years. Good luck with that internal debate.

RENTAKOW

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2007, 07:11:05 PM »
Their are less flaws with the Round earth model that their are with the Flat earth model. If that doesn't point to the Round earth being the more likely, I don't know what does. Once again, lets not forget the lack of evidence to support the FE theory. You can even come to the conclusion that earth is round, simply by looking at the sky at night.

Dioptimus Drime

• Meep.
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2007, 10:14:41 PM »
More likely, possible. Correct? Not necessarily. The model is not outdated and does not need a change. You new guys aren't pointing out ANY new flaws, and the main reason that nobody with half a brain comes to the debate forums anymore is because they all get tired of answering the same questions over and over again. It's not outdated, just overdebated, and once in a great while does something actually new come up.

~D-Draw

divito the truthist

• The Elder Ones
  • Relativist, Existentialist, Nihilist
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2007, 10:20:10 PM »
If you can't explain something, you speculate with available knowledge.
Our existentialist, relativist, nihilist, determinist, fascist, eugenicist moderator hath returned.
Quote from: Fortuna
objectively good

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2007, 10:37:13 PM »
Wait, Ireland is an REer?  Coulda' fooled me...