What would it take for you to believe in a RE?

• 28 Replies
What would it take for you to believe in a RE?
« on: June 09, 2007, 02:57:08 PM »
Yes, what would it take for you to believe that the earth is in fact round?

I'm starting to doubt that some of you would believe it even if some of you got launched into space, strapped around the shuttle and took a few spins around the earth.

Also, what made you such strong believers at first? What was the crucial moment when you suddenly realised "Aha! The earth IS flat."

Re: What would it take for you to believe in a RE?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2007, 03:41:34 PM »
This has been done before but...

If I believed in a FE, I'd need to see the earth as a whole to believe it's round.

James

• Flat Earther
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2007, 03:45:21 PM »
Yes, what would it take for you to believe that the earth is in fact round?

I'm starting to doubt that some of you would believe it even if some of you got launched into space, strapped around the shuttle and took a few spins around the earth.

You'd be right to doubt that  :D I hate to be a foilhatter, but this kind of stunt has actually been pulled off - on national television. http://www.channel4.com/entertainment/tv/microsites/S/spacecadets/about/index.html
The program was hilarious, these idiots seriously believed they were in space. The show importantly demonstrated how easy it is to trick people into believing they are in space, though.

Also, what made you such strong believers at first? What was the crucial moment when you suddenly realised "Aha! The earth IS flat."

I don't think it usually happens like that. There are milestones along the way, but the process is gradual. I've become more convinced of the Earth's shape over time.
"For your own sake, as well as for that of our beloved country, be bold and firm against error and evil of every kind." - David Wardlaw Scott, Terra Firma 1901

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 03:47:21 PM »
Let's not forget just how dumb these people were. Or at least how uneducated they were. The producers told them the craft had "gravity generators"...

James

• Flat Earther
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 04:28:21 PM »
Let's not forget just how dumb these people were. Or at least how uneducated they were. The producers told them the craft had "gravity generators"...

Alright, they were complete morons, but the program illustrates the ease with which the illusion was pulled off, and it's reasonable to suspect that with a little extra effort and resources (which the Conspiracy certainly has) it would be possible to fool Flat Earthers as well.
"For your own sake, as well as for that of our beloved country, be bold and firm against error and evil of every kind." - David Wardlaw Scott, Terra Firma 1901

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 04:29:17 PM »
Possibly but the weightlessness would be the major problem to fake.

?

silverhammermba

• Anger makes me debate. Debating makes me angry.
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2007, 10:00:25 AM »
Tada! I already asked this one before!

...but the program illustrates the ease with which the illusion was pulled off, and it's reasonable to suspect that with a little extra effort and resources (which the Conspiracy certainly has) it would be possible to fool Flat Earthers as well.

And no. That is an entirely unreasonable assumption. They'd have to build a full scale model of a rocket (that can simulate takeoff with you inside it), they'd have to somehow fool all of your family and friends into seeing a real launch (or somehow not allow them to watch you go into space), they'd have to simulate a zero G environment (the only way to do that right now is to go for a ride on the "vomit comet"), and much much more. Accurately simulating space flight to fool a bunch of FE'ers would cost many more billions than it does to actually send someone into space. Currently, I don't think its possible.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 10:08:44 AM by silverhammermba »
Quote from: Kasroa
Tom usually says at this point that people have seen the ice-wall. It is the Ross Ice Shelf. That usually kills the conversation by the power of sheer bull-shit alone.

?

Spherical Earth Society Leader

• Join our Conspiracy, The Spherical Earth Society!
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2007, 05:01:53 PM »
Nothing could change my mind. Not even a trip to space. The Earth would looked curved from space, its just an optical illusion.
Join my Conspiracy...(SHH!!)...The Spherical Earth Society!

Just...Don't...Tell...Anyone...

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2007, 05:14:09 PM »
What about a view of the south pole from space?  Hypothetically speaking, on a FE, such a view doesn't exist, but on a RE, it does.

Conversely, a view of the "edge" or ice wall would convince me of a FE, in the spirit of fairness.

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2007, 05:16:09 PM »
Nothing could change my mind. Not even a trip to space. The Earth would looked curved from space, its just an optical illusion.
Goodness, Rowbotham would be disappointed in your close-mindedness.

thesublime514

• I am the Walrus.
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2007, 05:41:07 PM »

Wow.  Just wow.

How is this an optical illusion?  You're just seeing Africa.  Where did the rest of the flat Earth go?  Oh.. wait.. that's right.. it has to be round..

Or this, Tom.  How could this possibly be a flat Earth?

EDIT: Shit.  I didn't realize it wasn't actually Tom.  I just look at the picture, you know?

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2007, 02:48:16 AM »
hehe hook line and sinker there I think lol

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2007, 02:54:08 AM »
He caught a whopper there.

divito the truthist

• The Elder Ones
  • Relativist, Existentialist, Nihilist
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2007, 03:05:37 AM »
These two are.....interesting.

And this one is digitally created:

So is this one:

And this one:

« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 04:03:18 AM by divito »
Our existentialist, relativist, nihilist, determinist, fascist, eugenicist moderator hath returned.
Quote from: Fortuna
objectively good

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2007, 03:09:45 AM »
Second one is obviously a photoshop. The rest look real to me.

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2007, 03:10:48 AM »
These two are.....interesting.

NASA

CONSPIRACY CONSPIRACY CONSPIRACY CONSPIRACY CONSPIRACY CONSPIRACY CONSPIRACY CONSPIRACY CONSPIRACY CONSPIRACY CONSPIRACY CONSPIRACY CONSPIRACY CONSPIRACY CONSPIRACY CONSPIRACY CONSPIRACY CONSPIRACY CONSPIRACY CONSPIRACY CONSPIRACY CONSPIRACY CONSPIRACY CONSPIRACY CONSPIRACY CONSPIRACY CONSPIRACY CONSPIRACY CONSPIRACY CONSPIRACY CONSPIRACY CONSPIRACY CONSPIRACY CONSPIRACY CONSPIRACY CONSPIRACY CONSPIRACY CONSPIRACY CONSPIRACY CONSPIRACY CONSPIRACY CONSPIRACY CONSPIRACY CONSPIRACY CONSPIRACY CONSPIRACY CONSPIRACY CONSPIRACY

Also, all it takes is some common sense.

divito the truthist

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2007, 03:11:27 AM »
The first one is from NASA, the second one is commonly accepted one from outer-space. The rest are fake.
Our existentialist, relativist, nihilist, determinist, fascist, eugenicist moderator hath returned.
objectively good

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2007, 04:01:28 AM »
None of them are a direct photo, the 2nd one is a mosaic of other pics and the rest are CGI

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2007, 04:02:20 AM »
Second one looks like it was drawn by a 9 year old.

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2007, 04:04:18 AM »
 :o damned Talented 9 y/o

divito the truthist

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2007, 04:04:37 AM »
the 2nd one is a mosaic of other pics

Second one looks like it was drawn by a 9 year old.

Aha, a mosaic or drawn by a 9 year old, which is it?  :D

objectively good

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2007, 04:05:39 AM »
It's a mosaic of 9 year olds' drawings.

TSEE

• The Stan Ellis Experiment
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2007, 04:15:10 AM »
In answer to "What would it take for you to believe in a RE?"

Simple.

Seeing the curvature of the Earth with my own eyes. Can't refute that I guess...

divito the truthist

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2007, 04:20:20 AM »
In answer to "What would it take for you to believe in a RE?"

Simple.

Seeing the curvature of the Earth with my own eyes. Can't refute that I guess...

You better revise that before you get stomped by these rabid dogs.
objectively good

TSEE

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2007, 04:21:08 AM »
What do u mean?

divito the truthist

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2007, 04:25:03 AM »
A picture of the Earth with said curvature would then be in your criteria to believe it. You'd have to make your statement more literal and accurate if you want these crazy RE'ers to keep from jumping on that statement. They'll jump on anything you say though, so be careful.
objectively good

TSEE

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2007, 04:35:07 AM »
A picture of the Earth with said curvature would then be in your criteria to believe it. You'd have to make your statement more literal and accurate if you want these crazy RE'ers to keep from jumping on that statement. They'll jump on anything you say though, so be careful.

I never said picture, I said with my own eyes i.e flying at 100,000 feet or whatever and looking out of the window. Pictures can be manufactured

divito the truthist

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2007, 04:56:53 AM »
I never said picture, I said with my own eyes i.e flying at 100,000 feet or whatever and looking out of the window. Pictures can be manufactured

Your own eyes can view the picture silly.
objectively good

TSEE

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2007, 05:00:46 AM »
All right, all right. First hand observation of the Curve would make me believe