Earth Isn't Flat 2 (Proof Included)

• 126 Replies

thesublime514

• I am the Walrus.
Re: Earth Isn't Flat 2 (Proof Included)
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2007, 09:10:59 PM »
You're silly.

But you kind of piss me off sometimes.

It's like you come on these forums to prove everything wrong but nothing right.

I guess I can't criticize that, but it annoys me.

I'm sorry I annoy you.

I don't try to prove EVERYTHING wrong, but if I see someone making a dumb statement, and foregoing logic, I'm going to bug them about it. You can't argue or get a point across when you can't communicate effectively, and they shouldn't be using common sense or their preconceived notions to do the battles for them. They just get lazy.

And, I wouldn't be able to prove everything right. While I have about 5GB of math/physics books, there's no way I'm going to sit and learn all this stuff to start proving stuff for an RE or FE. I really don't care what shape the Earth is. I'm only interested in the conventions of debating and helping people to use their brains, and to stop them from being stupid. If I help RE'ers make a good point, or I help an FE'er make something more clear, I'll be satisfied.

When I make a mistake, please criticize me! No one should be spared.

And again, no one answered my question. Convenient.

Yeah, I guess you're right.  You're also kind of a stupidity filter, which is good.

« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2007, 11:12:10 PM »
Do i need to pull the short bus over and separate you too?

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
  • GPS does not require satellites.
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2007, 10:09:47 AM »
You sure let this one die, Gulliver.

"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2007, 10:20:13 AM »
Says the master of it. 
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2007, 10:39:01 AM »
I would just like to point out that according to most people, the OP's signature proves the earth is man made.

?

silverhammermba

• Anger makes me debate. Debating makes me angry.
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2007, 10:53:15 AM »
Wouldn't an airplane "circumnavigating" a flat Earth notice, at least the tiniest little bit, that they're always turning in one direction? I mean, it'd be a very slight turn, yes, but you'd have to notice at least something, wouldn't you? With all of the Earth laid out below you, wouldn't you notice that your orientation seems to be changing?
Quote from: Kasroa
Tom usually says at this point that people have seen the ice-wall. It is the Ross Ice Shelf. That usually kills the conversation by the power of sheer bull-shit alone.

thesublime514

• I am the Walrus.
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2007, 10:55:36 AM »
Wouldn't an airplane "circumnavigating" a flat Earth notice, at least the tiniest little bit, that they're always turning in one direction? I mean, it'd be a very slight turn, yes, but you'd have to notice at least something, wouldn't you? With all of the Earth laid out below you, wouldn't you notice that your orientation seems to be changing?

That's like saying, "if you walk along the (round) earth long enough, wouldn't you notice you're going kind of downwardish, like on top of a huge ball?"

The proportions are just too big.

?

Skeptical ATM

« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2007, 11:54:36 AM »
Presumeably you could work it out using a point of reference, eg a mountain peak, and special equipment? Like a telescope.

« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2007, 12:56:32 PM »
I'll be back to this. I've sent off a letter to the manufacturer with your claim of false advertising and a reference to it here on the Forum. You just need to patient until they reply.

?

∂G/∂x

• All Rights Reversed
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2007, 02:55:44 PM »
Some people have way too much time.

As this thread looks deadish (I know TheEngineer will make it so in due time) I just wanted to point out that I agree with divito about this whole good-debating logic-filtering thing. I don't do it myself, but if I see another REer making a stupid or illogical argument, I tend to steer clear of it (I'm not 100% though :P) rather than jumping on the 'fuck the FE' bandwagon. I constantly aspire to better debating of course...

This statement:
Quote from: divito
When I make a mistake, please criticize me! No one should be spared.

Reminded me a lot of this:
Quote from: Angelo in Shakespeare's "Measure for Measure" Act II Scene I
...I have had such faults; but rather tell me,
When I, that censure him, do so offend,
Let mine own judgment pattern out my death,
And nothing come in partial.
Quote from: Tom Bishop
The universe has already expanded forever

Quote from: Proverbs 24:17
Rejoice not when thine enemy falleth, and let not thine heart be glad when he stumbleth.

« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2007, 03:23:02 PM »
That's a wonderful quote.

We should all be so unhypocritical.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2007, 06:22:11 PM »
I'll be back to this. I've sent off a letter to the manufacturer with your claim of false advertising and a reference to it here on the Forum. You just need to patient until they reply.
Awesome.  Maybe they will give me money for bringing it to their attention.

-- Bob Hudson

?

Marinade

• FE is for laughing at... not with.
« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2007, 10:03:42 PM »
^We can all hope.

Any explanation for circumnavigation traveling north-south? I'm particularly interested in over the South Pole; With the time it takes to fly from Austrailia to South America, I'm curious.

I know how east-west works so I don't care about that. I'm curious about North-South.
Haha Tom is so funny. He can't be serious, no one is that stubborn or dumb.

« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2007, 10:08:07 PM »
The product you passed off as a gyrocompass contained no gyros.  It was an inertial navigation system.  If you had bothered to read the manual, you would have noticed this.

Any aviation manual will inform you of the frequency of realignment of the gyrocompass.
Well, I figured out what you don't understand. Gyrocompasses have gone solid state, no more spinning wheels. Reference: http://www.sperrymarine.northropgrumman.com/Products/Gyrocompasses/navigat2100/

The NAVIGAT 2100 Fiber Optic Gyrocompass is the first solid-state, fully electronic digital gyrocompass system for marine application in strapdown technology designed for integrated bridges and advanced high-speed vessels. The fiber optic gyrocompass is a complete solid-state design with no rotating or other moving parts, It has a very high reliability and no maintenance requirements during its service life. The NAVIGAT 2100 fiber optic gyrocompass and attitude heading reference system is comprised of a sensor unit, a control and display unit, and an interface and power supply unit.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2007, 10:44:15 PM »
No more spinning wheels?!?!  What madness!!
A ring laser gyro is not exactly new.

You don't seem to understand that the one you posted contained accelerometers and magnetometers, a rather strong indicator of an inertial navigation system.

-- Bob Hudson

« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2007, 10:56:22 PM »
No more spinning wheels?!?!  What madness!!
A ring laser gyro is not exactly new.

You don't seem to understand that the one you posted contained accelerometers and magnetometers, a rather strong indicator of an inertial navigation system.
Well, then I'll just have to consider whom to believe, a no-name poster or the manufacturer... Let me think...

You're still left to explain why NG doesn't list the need to reset the gyrocompass like you claim must be done in every gyrocompass often.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2007, 11:31:30 PM »
Well, then I'll just have to consider whom to believe, a no-name poster or the manufacturer... Let me think...
Believe about what?

You're still left to explain why NG doesn't list the need to reset the gyrocompass
Laser gyros most often are used in very sophisticated applications where processor power is not an issue.  The RLG setup can accurately determine the direction of true north due to the rotation of the earth and the orientations of the RLGs.

-- Bob Hudson

« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2007, 07:13:03 AM »
Believe about what?
Whether the device is a gyrocompass as the manufacturer claims, or not as you claim.

You're still left to explain why NG doesn't list the need to reset the gyrocompass
Laser gyros most often are used in very sophisticated applications where processor power is not an issue.  The RLG setup can accurately determine the direction of true north due to the rotation of the earth and the orientations of the RLGs.
So you were wrong when you said:
Gyrocompasses must be constantly realigned, often times every 15 minutes.

Since we now know that gyrocompasses don't need to realigned, I stand by my position that modern navigation ensures true headings and accurate positioning. Therefore, circumnavigating the Equator to the east without changing heading, either by compass or rudder, demonstrates that Earth is round.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2007, 08:29:11 AM »
Believe about what?
Whether the device is a gyrocompass as the manufacturer claims, or not as you claim.
You picked the wrong example to use, it's not that big of a deal.  I forgive you.

Since we now know that gyrocompasses don't need to realigned, I stand by my position that modern navigation ensures true headings and accurate positioning. Therefore, circumnavigating the Equator to the east without changing heading, either by compass or rudder, demonstrates that Earth is round.
No, I was not wrong, you just don't know how to read.  Using a RLG setup removes the need to manually realign the gyrocompass, much like the way that an inertial navigation system is slaved to a GPS receiver to correct for integration drift.  The RLG realigns itself a few thousand times a minute.

-- Bob Hudson

« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2007, 08:33:45 AM »
Can anyone explain gyrocompasses (in layman's terms) to me so I can understand what's going on in this thread?

« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2007, 10:30:25 AM »
Believe about what?
You picked the wrong example to use, it's not that big of a deal.  I forgive you.

No, I was not wrong, you just don't know how to read.  Using a RLG setup removes the need to manually realign the gyrocompass, much like the way that an inertial navigation system is slaved to a GPS receiver to correct for integration drift.  The RLG realigns itself a few thousand times a minute.
Here we go with word games again. We have to insert the words to make your statement true. "Gyrocompasses must be constantly realigned except for modern gyrocompasses which realign themselves."

« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2007, 10:33:10 AM »
Can anyone explain gyrocompasses (in layman's terms) to me so I can understand what's going on in this thread?
A gyrocompass is a device that provides true headings. The use of such a device to circumnavigate the earth, as modern ships do, proves that the Earth is a sphere and not a disc.

« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2007, 11:56:10 AM »
I see. How do they work though? Do they detect the rotation of the Earth or something?

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2007, 12:56:50 PM »
Here we go with word games again. We have to insert the words to make your statement true. "Gyrocompasses must be constantly realigned except for modern gyrocompasses which realign themselves."
And thus must be constantly realigned.  I'm actually quite surprised that the person who helped write the navigation software for the B-2 would not know about RLGs or how they are used.  You know, since the B-2 uses them.

-- Bob Hudson

« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2007, 01:13:09 PM »
And thus must be constantly realigned.  I'm actually quite surprised that the person who helped write the navigation software for the B-2 would not know about RLGs or how they are used.  You know, since the B-2 uses them.
Ha. What a joke. No one is realigning those gyrocompasses. Oh, and good luck trying to turn your error into an ad hominem fallacy.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2007, 03:59:12 PM »
Er Gully, how's your reading comprehension going?
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2007, 04:02:24 PM »
Er Gully, how's your reading comprehension going?
Just fine. How's yours?

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2007, 04:20:16 PM »
Not so well
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

?

∂G/∂x

• All Rights Reversed
« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2007, 04:22:30 PM »
How come you're still here?   :o

Don't take that the wrong way...I'm just surprised...
Quote from: Tom Bishop
The universe has already expanded forever

Quote from: Proverbs 24:17
Rejoice not when thine enemy falleth, and let not thine heart be glad when he stumbleth.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2007, 04:25:01 PM »
All explained in Fuck Yeah in Everything Else. And I;m off to bed now, night Gin dear