• 221 Replies

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
Re: Tom Bishop vs. FE Canon
« Reply #180 on: June 11, 2007, 05:57:32 PM »
Wow, that's vague, at best.

So the only way we have to verify that Rowbotham held a doctorate was that his ardent followers put an MD and a PhD after his name on his gravestone?  That's... pretty tenuous.  ::)
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #181 on: June 11, 2007, 05:59:58 PM »
So the only way we have to verify that Rowbotham held a doctorate was that his ardent followers put an MD and a PhD after his name on his gravestone?  That's... pretty tenuous.

Christine Garwood's entire book documents his medical career as a side note to his Flat Earth interests. Dr. Rowbotham was a practicing medical doctor and chemist. I suggest you pick up her book before making assumptions.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 06:03:27 PM by Tom Bishop »

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #182 on: June 11, 2007, 06:01:25 PM »
Well, actually, I wasn't making any assumptions, I was responding pretty specifically to what you posted.

Do you have a vested interest in this book being sold, Tom?  Are you, in fact, Christine Garwood?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 06:03:56 PM by Roundy the One and Only »

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #183 on: June 11, 2007, 06:04:50 PM »
I would reprint the material here in full, but that would be an insult to Ms. Christine Garwood.

Quoted for irony.  :D

« Reply #184 on: June 11, 2007, 06:16:48 PM »
So the only way we have to verify that Rowbotham held a doctorate was that his ardent followers put an MD and a PhD after his name on his gravestone?  That's... pretty tenuous.

Christine Garwood's entire book documents his medical career as a side note to his Flat Earth interests. Dr. Rowbotham was a practicing medical doctor and chemist. I suggest you pick up the book before making assumptions.
That is a bold-faced lie. There are entire chapters that don't even mention him. Furthermore she does a great job of documenting what a quack he was (page 149).
    The founder of zetetic astronomy could be somewhat vulgar, Wolfson alleged, but at the time he had put this down to the eccentricity of an old man, it was only later that he decided Parallax was an 'accomplished quack' and a 'many-headed eagle', who did not believe in his own theories and 'dodged about' under several different names. At the time of writing, Wolfson revealed, Prallax was going about as 'Dr. Samuel Birley', professing to possess the secret for prolonging human life and the ability to cure every disease imaginable for a charge of a guinea every two months.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #185 on: June 11, 2007, 06:18:17 PM »
Being a snake oil salesman is not the same as being a medical professional, Tom.

Please post more passages/synopses showing how much of a fraud Rowbotham was, Gulliver.  That was entertaining.   ;D

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #186 on: June 11, 2007, 06:31:52 PM »
Being a snake oil salesman is not the same as being a medical professional, Tom.

Did you miss the part of Gulliver's quote which says "Wolfson alleged"?

Dr. Rowbotham made many enemies during his Flat Earth lectures. Christine Garwood does an excellent job of documenting the insults and criticisms thrown at Rowbotham. In one instance Dr. Rowbotham was actually mugged on the street before a lecture at a university for promoting his ideas of a Flat Earth.

Rowbotham receives as many positive reviews as he does negative:

"'PARALLAX' ON ZETETIC ASTRONOMY.--The gentleman who has adopted this noon de plume delivered his first lecture on Monday evening last There was a large and highly respectable audience--the hall being crowded. The lecture was a clear and elaborate exposition, &c. (lengthy details follow). If we may judge by the applause by which some of the lecturer's arguments were confirmed, we should say that many of those present were ready to exclaim: 'Behold, a greater than Newton is here!' A hot discussion followed, in which the Dr. Nixon Porter and other gentlemen took part, but Parallax' maintained his ground."--Warrington Guardian, March 24th, 1866.

"ZETETIC ASTRONOMY.--His lectures furnish a clear, masterly, and very plausible exposition of his system. At the close of each lecture he invited discussion; and it must be admitted that 'Parallax' evinced varied knowledge, ability, and readiness in replying to objections."--Bradford Review, July 6th, 1867.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 06:51:20 PM by Tom Bishop »

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #187 on: June 11, 2007, 06:35:58 PM »
I sure did.  It certainly casts doubt on Rowbotham's authenticity.  Or have you found something yet verifying that he actually held a doctorate?

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #188 on: June 11, 2007, 06:40:34 PM »
Or have you found something yet verifying that he actually held a doctorate?

What evidence is there that you've graduated High School, Roundy?

Until you verify your credentials to me beyond the power of a doubt, until I see a written verification by your principal and parents, you will be considered an uneducated High School dropout.

Therefore, as a High School dropout who cannot even verify his own credentials, you have no business asking a deceased doctor of medicine to supply you with verification of his credentials. If you would like to see his diploma you are welcome to track down Rowbotham's remaining family and ask them for a peek.

Dr. Rowbotham lectured at dozens of universities over his career. How many universities have you lectured at?

"The lecturer invited discussion, and a warm controversy took place, but 'Parallax' stood his ground admirably. His delivery is free and unaffected, and the masterly style in which he handled his subject showed that he was a geometrician and mathematician of no ordinary merit."--Dewsbury Chronicle, August 5th, 1867.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 06:55:42 PM by Tom Bishop »

« Reply #189 on: June 11, 2007, 06:54:50 PM »
Or have you found something yet verifying that he actually held a doctorate?

What evidence is there that you've graduated High School, Roundy?

Until you verify your credentials to me beyond the power of a doubt, until I see a written verification by your principal and parents, you will be considered an uneducated High School dropout.

Therefore, as a High School dropout who cannot even verify his own credentials, you have no business asking a deceased doctor of medicine to supply you with verification of his credentials. If you would like to see his diploma you are welcome to track down Rowbotham's remaining family and ask them for a peek.
Hey, that's not fair. You made the claim. The burden of proof lies with the claimant. Attacking the person is an ad hominem fallacy. You didn't present a balanced review from your source. You've been called on it. Now answer the challenge.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #190 on: June 11, 2007, 07:01:33 PM »
Hey, that's not fair. You made the claim. The burden of proof lies with the claimant. Attacking the person is an ad hominem fallacy. You didn't present a balanced review from your source. You've been called on it. Now answer the challenge.

Historian Christine Garwood calls Rowbotham a doctor, I call Robotham a doctor, Cambridge University calls Rowbotham a doctor, Rowbotham's family and friends called him a doctor. Christine Garwood's book clearly states that Rowbotham saw patients, and that it was his medical career which allowed him the money and ability to travel the world and lecture at prestigious universities. The burden of proof actually lies on you to prove that Dr. Rowbotham did not hold a medical degree. There is overwhelming evidence which suggests that he did.

How many published literary reviews have you received, Gulliver?

"'PARALLAX' AT BIRSTAL.--This gentleman delivered his course of lectures in the Public Hall here on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday last (particulars here follow). The lecturer thoroughly understands the subject which he has taken in hand. He is gifted with extraordinary debating power and acumen, and the manner in which he dealt with the subject also proved him to be well versed in all the sciences bearing upon his system of astronomy. His style of delivery, too, is one calculated to win the sympathies of an audience."--Birstal Record, August 10th, 1867.

"THE EARTH A PLANE.--(Report of lecture at the Town Hall, Hanley, concludes as follows):--A contemporary speaks of 'Parallax' as a very acute reasoner, a paragon of courtesy, good temper, and masterly skill in debate, adding that if the data given are correct there is no resisting the conclusions arrived at. Apart from these conclusions, to which he seems to lead most of his hearers in spite of themselves, the lectures are really an intellectual treat."--Staffordshire Sentinel, February 8th, 1868.

"The flat earth floating tremulously on the sea, the sun moving always over it, giving day when near enough, and night when too far off; the self-luminous moon; the law of perspective, by which the vanishing of the hull before the masts, usually thought to prove the earth globular, really proves it flat; all these and other things are well fitted to form exercises in learning the elements of astronomy. 'Parallax,' though confident in the extreme, neither impeaches the honesty of those whose opinions he assails, nor allots them any future inconvenience."--Augustus De Morgan, Professor of Mathematics in Cambridge University, President of the Royal Astronomical Society, F.R.A.S., &c., &c.--Athenĉum Journal for October 12, 1872.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2007, 07:08:07 PM by Tom Bishop »

« Reply #191 on: June 11, 2007, 07:09:43 PM »

Historian Christine Garwood calls Rowbotham a doctor, I call Robotham a doctor, Rowbotham's family and friends called him a doctor. Christine Garwood's book clearly says that Rowbotham saw patients, and it's his medical career that allowed him the money to travel the world and lecture at these prestigious universities. The burden of proof actually lies on you to prove that Dr. Rowbotham did not hold a medical degree.

How many published literary reviews have you gotten, Gulliver?
    Again, you fail to provide a reference. Where does she call him "Dr. Rowbotham"? Since when does the supposed practice of quackery constitute receiving a medical degree? How long are you going to continue with ad hominem fallacies?[/list]
    « Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 06:45:54 AM by Gulliver »

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
    • I'm the boss.
    « Reply #192 on: June 11, 2007, 08:02:54 PM »
    And here's another one.  He delivered all these lectures as "Parallax".  He didn't even use his own name.  So I don't see where the fact that he delivered a few well-received lectures constitutes evidence that he held any real credentials.

Did he lecture as "Dr Parallax, MD, PhD"?

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
    • Planar Moderator
    • Queen of the gays!
    « Reply #193 on: June 12, 2007, 12:21:21 AM »
    I want this book! Hurry up and finish it Gully so I can borrow it.
    Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
    If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
    Quote from: Raa
    there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

« Reply #194 on: June 12, 2007, 03:23:55 AM »
    What book is this? I want it too.

« Reply #195 on: June 12, 2007, 06:33:17 AM »

Christine Garwood's entire book documents his medical career as a side note to his Flat Earth interests. Dr. Rowbotham was a practicing medical doctor and chemist. I suggest you pick up her book before making assumptions.
    Nope. Only five pages of 436 deal with his "medical" career, including the "quackery" allegation that I've already posted. One passage relates how he invented himself as a doctor. The remaining passage does speak of him as a medical doctor but the passage is mostly about his quackery, no allegation this time. I can find no reference to him as a "chemist" beyond his "snake oil".

« Reply #196 on: June 12, 2007, 06:34:56 AM »
    And here's another one.  He delivered all these lectures as "Parallax".  He didn't even use his own name.  So I don't see where the fact that he delivered a few well-received lectures constitutes evidence that he held any real credentials.

Did he lecture as "Dr Parallax, MD, PhD"?
    No, he lectured as "Parallax". When acting as a doctor, he used the made-up name of "Dr. Birley".

« Reply #197 on: June 12, 2007, 06:45:22 AM »
    What book is this? I want it too.
    Flat Earth: The History of an Infamous Idea, Christine Garwood 2007 ISBN 978-1-4050-4702-9. I can't find it in the US, but amazon.co.uk does have it back in stock. Please reference: Amazon.co.uk

Anyone wishing to borrow my copy for thirty days should PM me with a mailing address. I'll pay shipping to you. You'll need to pay shipping back to me. Fair enough? Gayer is first in line.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
    • Planar Moderator
    • Queen of the gays!
    « Reply #198 on: June 12, 2007, 12:04:55 PM »
    Woo I've never been first in line for anything!

I live in Buckingham Palace so just send it there.
    If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
    there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

?

∂G/∂x

• All Rights Reversed
    « Reply #199 on: June 12, 2007, 12:48:42 PM »
    What does old Liz think of your residence at her house?
    Quote from: Tom Bishop
    The universe has already expanded forever

Quote from: Proverbs 24:17
    Rejoice not when thine enemy falleth, and let not thine heart be glad when he stumbleth.

« Reply #200 on: June 12, 2007, 01:30:38 PM »
    Are you so sure that Gayer doesn't think she is the Queen of England? After all, she's delusional about her address.
    « Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 03:21:13 PM by Gulliver »

« Reply #201 on: June 12, 2007, 01:31:26 PM »
    Gayer is the Queen and I'm the King

« Reply #202 on: June 12, 2007, 03:09:27 PM »
    Fantastic, and I'm still Jesus.   8)

?

∂G/∂x

• All Rights Reversed
    « Reply #203 on: June 12, 2007, 03:13:36 PM »
    What are you gonna do about those other 88 Jesuses (should that be Jesii?)? You may be the Son of the one true God, but he sure must have a lot of other kids...and no imagination for names...
    Quote from: Tom Bishop
    The universe has already expanded forever

Quote from: Proverbs 24:17
    Rejoice not when thine enemy falleth, and let not thine heart be glad when he stumbleth.

« Reply #204 on: June 12, 2007, 03:27:20 PM »
    lol 89 is for the Angel Sex my son. Pimpin' ain't easy.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
    • Planar Moderator
    • Queen of the gays!
    « Reply #205 on: June 12, 2007, 03:51:12 PM »
    Are you so sure that Gayer doesn't think she is the Queen of England? After all, she's delusional about her address.

Think? I knows baby!

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
    « Reply #206 on: June 12, 2007, 03:55:01 PM »
    Doctor Parallax Sounds like a cheesy  60's sci-fi baddie...

Midnight

• RE/FE Apathetic.
    « Reply #207 on: June 13, 2007, 04:58:52 AM »
    I love the term "Flat Earth Interests".

Like believing in the inane (yes, the inane, as in, flat Earth or not, the debate really is moot) is a hobby kit you can purchase at Clothworld.

Absolutely entertaining.
    My problem with his ideas is that it is a ridiculous thing.

Genius. PURE, undiluted genius.

« Reply #208 on: January 25, 2010, 09:16:36 AM »
    Has any of you considered the possiblility that Tom Bishop is a spambot?
    A thorough analysis of his post left me with the conclusion that
    either he is:

1) a spambot
    2) Jesus Christ

Since Jesus89 is already (2) I guess one can state that Tom is in fact a spambot.

p.s. There is also one other option, Tom bishop is just "a crazy person"
    "... therefore, Earth must be flat"

« Reply #209 on: September 14, 2010, 03:30:38 PM »
    So Tom Bishop basically is out of step with the rest of the FEers, and someone made him a FEW. That explains a great deal. I guess we can all give up on the Wiki. It's worthless.
    Keep it serious, Thork. You can troll, but don't be so open. We have standards