Universal Acceleration 101

• 313 Replies

James

• Flat Earther
  • The Elder Ones
Universal Acceleration 101
« on: May 30, 2007, 04:34:28 AM »
Edit: I'm gradually editing in fruitful elements of the discussion in this thread to try and generate an FAQ on the UA. Sections in italics have been added since the thread's original posting.

In this thread, I'm going to make an effort to concisely explain the principles of Universal Acceleration, since it is a topic so widely misunderstood by Round Earthers who offer complaints against it.

What is the Universal Accelerator?
The Universal Accelerator is a huge body of accelerating dark matter which lies underneath most of the physical matter of the universe.

There is controversy on the exact physical nature and composition of the Universal Accelerator:
Quote from: Tom Bishop
I believe that should be Dark Energy which accelerates the earth. Not Dark Matter.
However, there is general agreement on what it principally is and does - it accelerates the Earth upwards simulating what Round Earthers call "Gravitation".

What does it do?
The acceleration of the Universal Accelerator is such that it causes the effect described as gravitation in Round Earth Theory. The dark matter is accelerating upward at around 9.8m/s^2. On it rests the Earth. Consequently, when you jump in the air, the Earth accelerates back towards you causing you to land again.

So is the Universal Accelerator a force?
No, it really isn't. Gravity is explained as a mysterious force which permeates the entire universe (it is, in the strictest sense "universal") causing matter to attract. This is NOT how Universal Acceleration works. Universal Acceleration is the acceleration of a specific body of matter (the Universal Accelerator) and the effect which this acceleration has on the matter which is resting atop it (the Earth, for example).

So it doesn't affect everything?
It only affects what it is touching (pushing it upwards), in much the same way as a tennis racket doesn't affect a tennis ball until the ball touches the racket. The Universal Accelerator only affects you if you're standing on the Earth, because it pushes the Earth up and the Earth pushes you up. So if you jump, you're temporarily not affected by it, it just quickly pushes the Earth back into you.

Take these simple diagrams:
In the first image, the man is standing on the Earth. The UA is pushing the Earth upwards, and the Earth is pushing the man upwards.

In the second image, the man jumps in the air. The UA is still pushing the Earth upwards, but the only thing pushing the man up is the force of his jump, pushing him up off the Earth.

In the third image, the UA has pushed the Earth up at a higher acceleration than the man's, so the Earth has crashed back into him. Now once again, the UA is pushing the Earth and the Earth is pushing the man.

Gulliver nailed this principle in his clarifying post:
The UA affects only the FE directly. Let's be clear the UA affects the FE and then the FE affects the objects (people, oceans, atmosphere) when contact is made. The FE has absolutely no gravitational attraction to anything above it.

What about the Sun and Moon?
Well, it can't be affecting them, because they're constantly flying above the Earth and consequently above the Universal Accelerator.

Hopefully this might help a few people "get it" with Universal Acceleration. It's not a force. It's matter, accelerating upwards. It's really that simple.

If anyone from the FE camp has anything to add or dispute, feel free.

This thread isn't meant as a debate, rather as a concise statement of the theory, so please don't come and post long dissertations on why the theory is wrong. If there's some genuine misunderstanding still with the theory itself, bring it up in this thread. Otherwise, start a fresh one.

Hopefully nobody minds this being stickied. Misunderstanding the UA happens so often and causes so much senseless argument that having some reference explaining how it works would be really handy.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2007, 10:29:34 AM by Dogplatter »
"For your own sake, as well as for that of our beloved country, be bold and firm against error and evil of every kind." - David Wardlaw Scott, Terra Firma 1901

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
Re: Universal Acceleration 101
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 05:32:32 AM »
So it's not actually universal, because it doesn't effect everything in the universe, and the sun and moon are held up by magic.

Right, as long as that's cleared up ::)

EDIT:

Gravity is explained as a mysterious force which permeates the entire universe (it is, in the strictest sense "universal") causing matter to attract.

So the Earth should be a ball right about now... unless the Earth doesn't exist in the universe
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 05:36:44 AM by Chrissetti »

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 08:12:34 AM »
I recommend that you clarify. The UA affects only the FE directly. Let's be clear the UA affects the FE and then the FE affects the objects (people, oceans, atmosphere) when contact is made. The FE has absolutely no gravitational attraction to anything above it. The UA does not accelerate the Sun, Moon, planets, asteroids, meteors, rockets, satellites, moons, comets, stars, nebulaes, galaxies, or groups.

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 08:31:15 AM »
which is a load of fucking bullshit because we'd have crashed into the sun/moon/stars/nebulae/ planets by now

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 11:34:45 AM »
I have a question about this, Dogplatter.  If the sun, moon, planets, and stars aren't affected at all by the UA, why do they remain a relatively constant distance above us?
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 12:29:48 AM »
I have a question about this, Dogplatter.  If the sun, moon, planets, and stars aren't affected at all by the UA, why do they remain a relatively constant distance above us?

...nothing but stoney silence...

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 12:30:48 AM »
You might have to wait a while for an answer from Dogman, gotta drag him back here again
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 12:32:15 AM »
You're on early today :D

And surely another FEer could fill his void?

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 12:33:15 AM »
I'm up this time pretty much every day now.

No other FE'ers post.
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
  • GPS does not require satellites.
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007, 12:37:53 AM »
This is Dogplatter's baby.  He is the only one that can explain it.  So, be patient, he is not on very often.

"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson

James

• Flat Earther
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2007, 08:25:38 AM »
This is Dogplatter's baby.  He is the only one that can explain it.  So, be patient, he is not on very often.

I didn't come up with the theory of Universal Acceleration...

which is a load of fucking bullshit because we'd have crashed into the sun/moon/stars/nebulae/ planets by now

Not at all - there's an awesome thread in FEIR regarding how the sun and moon stay up. It's broken and doesn't display properly right now, but I'm trying to get Daniel or another admin to sort it ASAP.

The UA affects only the FE directly. Let's be clear the UA affects the FE and then the FE affects the objects (people, oceans, atmosphere) when contact is made. The FE has absolutely no gravitational attraction to anything above it.

Spot on.

/stars/nebulae/ planets

I have my own theory on stars and planets, but it's not FE canon. I decided it would be too partisan of me to post it in this thread.
"For your own sake, as well as for that of our beloved country, be bold and firm against error and evil of every kind." - David Wardlaw Scott, Terra Firma 1901

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2007, 08:49:02 AM »

I didn't come up with the theory of Universal Acceleration...
No, you came up with the UA being a blanket of Dark Matter that the earth rests on.  No part of FE cannon states this.

-- Bob Hudson

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2007, 10:19:11 AM »
Dogplatter,

I believe that should be Dark Energy which accelerates the earth. Not Dark Matter. In modern astrophysics, Dark Matter refers to a hypothetical form of matter of unknown composition that does not emit or reflect enough electromagnetic radiation to be observed directly, but whose presence can be inferred from gravitational effects on visible matter. Current theory states that Dark Matter does not cause objects to accelerate away from each other, it is simply used as an invisible form of matter used to satisfy various gravitational discrepancies. Stars and galaxies which seem to orbit themselves can explained by this odd and entirely hypothetical form of invisible space bending matter.

Dark Energy, on the other hand, is a hypothetical form of negative energy which permeates space and is thought to increase the rate of expansion of the universe. The existence of Dark Energy would cause objects to accelerate away from each other. There are two forms of hypothetical forms of Dark Energy; the Cosmological Constant and the Quintessence. Your model would probably invoke the Quintessence form of Dark Energy, since the phenomenon does not fill the entire universe. The Quintessence form utilizes tracker behavior which closely tracks the radiation density of an object until there is an equality of matter-radiation.

Summarily; Dark Matter pulls and Dark Energy pushes.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2007, 10:28:10 AM by Tom Bishop »

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2007, 11:53:18 AM »
Either the stars and planets are accelerated at an equal, or near equal rate as the Earth, or the UA is wrong

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2007, 10:29:41 PM »
I just want to be absolutely clear on this.

We have a UA that propels the FE up constantly. Fine, very good, I can go with that for argument's sake. But I have to ask; if you stand atop a building and drop a heavy and a light weight, the heavy one will hit the ground first, correct? But I have to ask why it would matter how much it weighed if you say that the UA is moving up towards it?
In theory, isn't it standing still, and the FE accelerating towards it? Or is the UA creating downward pressure?

One other question I have is in regards to things in the air. Birds, planes, and even your sun and moon. Logically, they must be accelerating at the same speed, or they would hit the ground. That's beside the point though. If you push something up at high speed you are pushing down on it at the same time, as anyone in a really steep rollar coaster can tell you. So if they are using UA, why is not the pressure pushing down onto the planes, hellicopters and birds?
If I'm not mistaken, pressing a lot of pressure down on the sun, would make it hotter, correct?

I'm interested to see clarification.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2007, 10:35:56 PM »
I just want to be absolutely clear on this.

We have a UA that propels the FE up constantly. Fine, very good, I can go with that for argument's sake. But I have to ask; if you stand atop a building and drop a heavy and a light weight, the heavy one will hit the ground first, correct?
No.  The acceleration due to gravitation will be the same for both, 9.8m/s^2.  Their coefficient of drag will be what determines which hits the ground first.

One other question I have is in regards to things in the air. Birds, planes, and even your sun and moon. Logically, they must be accelerating at the same speed, or they would hit the ground. That's beside the point though. If you push something up at high speed you are pushing down on it at the same time, as anyone in a really steep rollar coaster can tell you.
What is pushing down?  The objects (birds, planes) must accelerate at the same rate as the earth to avoid hitting it. 

-- Bob Hudson

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2007, 01:58:43 AM »
What is pushing down?  The objects (birds, planes) must accelerate at the same rate as the earth to avoid hitting it. 

So the UA has to push them, correct? I think you just confirmed my argument

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2007, 07:02:16 AM »

So the UA has to push them, correct? I think you just confirmed my argument
Planes and birds create this thing called lift, to keep from hitting the ground.

-- Bob Hudson

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2007, 07:07:15 AM »
And the stars and moon do too, despite them being above the air used for lift?

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2007, 07:13:21 AM »
And the stars and moon do too, despite them being above the air used for lift?
Uh, no, you need a fluid to create lift.

-- Bob Hudson

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2007, 07:20:06 AM »
fluid that the vacuum of space is famous for...

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2007, 07:30:44 AM »
Exactly, therefore, they don't create lift.  ???

-- Bob Hudson

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2007, 07:31:50 AM »
THANK YOU! therefore either the UA pushes them or they'll crash into Earth!

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2007, 07:56:03 AM »
Not in Dogplatter's model.  The photoelectric effect is the catalyst for that.

-- Bob Hudson

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2007, 03:47:17 PM »
I hate to say it, but either the UA is accelerating both the FE and the moon/sun, or it is doing neither. It can't be doing one or the other.

As for lift, surely you cannot tell me that a bird is producing lift by gliding along on the air currents? As you know, they are gliding in a straight line, or slightly down, not providing lift at all.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2007, 03:51:23 PM »
If a bird or a plane is moving through the air, it is producing lift.

-- Bob Hudson

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2007, 06:13:44 PM »
If that were true, then it must be the exact amount as the UA to keep it at the same height from the onrushing FE below, correct?

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2007, 07:23:04 PM »
If that were true, then it must be the exact amount as the UA to keep it at the same height from the onrushing FE below, correct?
Ashanti, as a confessed FEer, I suggest that you choose another area on which to concentrate. The FE's argument that a constantly accelerating FE could in every way mimic RE's gravitation is almost perfect. Indeed you must look at minor variances to RE's g based on latitude and altitude before you see a difference. A bird or plane that exerts more lift rise and less lift falls--in either model. Point to TheEngineer.

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2007, 08:55:52 PM »
Dear boy, I am not trying to prove or disprove a FE, I know nothing that I can say will effect things one way or the other.

No, I'm seeking clarification about how it works. It is an interesting idea, I confess.

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2007, 01:45:47 AM »

The air is being accelerated by the FE and matches it's acceleration. The bird needs only produce minimal lift as the the air is stationary relative to itself.