Star Trek > Star Wars

• 64 Replies
?

Nomad

• Official Member
Star Trek > Star Wars
« on: May 27, 2007, 03:24:38 PM »
It's true.  Star Trek is better than Star Wars.
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

?

Bushido

Re: Star Trek > Star Wars
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2007, 03:26:07 PM »
Never.

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2007, 03:26:17 PM »
I disagree.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 03:26:33 PM »
I agree with Nomad
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

dysfunction

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 03:43:24 PM »
Nope. Not even close. And Firefly/Serenity is better than either.
the cake is a lie

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2007, 03:47:58 PM »
Whatever minger. Star Trek was way better than the rest of the crappy sci fi stuff.

Though did anyone watch V? Least thats what i think it was called. Scared the crap out of me as a kid.
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2007, 06:02:31 PM »
Someone tell me what good Star Wars had on society, besides giving a bunch of acne ridden douchebags something to obsess over?

Star Trek had so much influence on society.  It was the first realistic foray into visualizing the future.  Because of that television show back in the late 60s, so many advancements in technologies were made merely by people who were inspired by what they saw in the show.  The first personal computer (the Altair 8800) was named after a solar system mentioned in the original series.  Cordless and mobile phones were inspired by the show.  Same goes for hand held devices like PDAs.

The Next Generation came along and a new generation of people were inspired in all sorts of fields like astrophysics, theoretical physics, medicine, and I could go on.

While the shows may not have been the best examples of "theatre" there ever was (in fact, I'm definitely the first Trek fan to admit that the original show had some of the worst acting I've ever seen), but the impact that it, and The Next Generation had on the world is undeniable.  If Star Wars can say the same thing, please someone enlighten me.  The only thing I can think of is Lucas' legacy in special effects, and that's hardly the most important thing in the world.
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

?

quixotic

• Im a mushroomcloudlayin motherfucker, motherfucker
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2007, 06:16:15 PM »
Star Wars stands the test of time...Star Trek does not, it has to constantly be re-done, digitally enhanced. I watched Star Wars Empires Strikes Back the other night, and I could honestly say that it could've been made in the last 10 years.

And its just your classic story of good triupmhing over evil, if that doesn't teach you a valuable lesson, then what does?

Its hard for me to say anything good about Star Trek as I think it is one of the most slow and lame TV series I have ever seen, except for maybe Heartbreak High  :o

Like...O M G ! ! ! He is, like, totally using the gun as like some kind of sexual weapon. O M G ! ! That is like, totally awesome! ! !

cmdshft

• The Elder Ones
  • swiggity swooty
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2007, 06:43:06 PM »
Fuck you all, I like them both. I am superior.

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2007, 07:06:06 PM »
I'm not really a huge fan of Star Trek, believe it or not, but I have a lot more respect for it than Star Wars.  Star Wars is just fantasy in space.  And it borrows from many other series and movies, much in the same way that tires often get "borrowed" from cars in New York.
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

Midnight

• RE/FE Apathetic.
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2007, 08:08:40 PM »
I like both and don't really see the logical point of pisstaking on either side. Both have something for those interested.

Piss off and die in a steaming pile.
My problem with his ideas is that it is a ridiculous thing.

Genius. PURE, undiluted genius.

divito the truthist

• The Elder Ones
  • Relativist, Existentialist, Nihilist
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2007, 08:20:23 PM »
The only good Star Trek was The Next Generation.

And I've never liked Star Wars though. It's up there in being overrated like The Lord of the Rings...in which I only watched part of the third one and fell asleep in the theater during it. AND after all that I still knew the story.
Our existentialist, relativist, nihilist, determinist, fascist, eugenicist moderator hath returned.
Quote from: Fortuna
objectively good

cmdshft

• The Elder Ones
  • swiggity swooty
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2007, 08:26:40 PM »
I'm not really a huge fan of Star Trek, believe it or not, but I have a lot more respect for it than Star Wars.  Star Wars is just fantasy in space.  And it borrows from many other series and movies, much in the same way that tires often get "borrowed" from cars in New York.

Doesn't matter. I could care less about the impact it had, I just watched the damn things. Yeah, something to think about, but I agree with Midsy. No point in pissing in an ocean of piss, boy.

divito the truthist

• The Elder Ones
  • Relativist, Existentialist, Nihilist
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2007, 08:29:58 PM »

No point in pissing in an ocean of piss, boy.

Wouldn't the point be to relieve yourself? And why piss anywhere else but in an ocean of piss, it's much more convenient.  :D
Our existentialist, relativist, nihilist, determinist, fascist, eugenicist moderator hath returned.
Quote from: Fortuna
objectively good

?

cadmium_blimp

• funny, you thought I'd convert, didn't you?
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2007, 10:18:24 PM »
Someone tell me what good Star Wars had on society, besides giving a bunch of acne ridden douchebags something to obsess over?
Leia's Metal Bikini.  That is an addition worth noting.

Either way, the new Battlestar Galactica pwns them all.

Quote from: Commander Taggart
Never give up, never surrender!

?

Bushido

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2007, 12:34:38 AM »
I've often wonder why everyone in the Universe speaks English?

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2007, 12:40:17 AM »
Stargate SG-1 ftw.

Trekky0623

• Official Member
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2007, 05:42:27 AM »
Star Trek vs Star Wars
If we're talking military superiority, Star Wars would definitely win (based on canon).

However, in a basis of which has had the greatest impact on society, I would have to go with Star Trek.  I mean, they fans of star trek are truly devoted to the series, even arguing against NBC when Star Trek: The Original Series was going to go off the air.  It also addressed issues such as racism and the Vietnam War, which to my understanding Star Wars never did.  It was a good story but had no real morality that could apply to our current issues.  One of the fans was Martin Luther King Jr., who got Nichelle Nichols (Uhura) to stay on the show.
Oh, watch the History of Star Wars tonight at 8:00 on the History Channel.

Trekky0623

• Official Member
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2007, 06:33:22 AM »
And just to be funny...
WHAT THE H*LL kind of ordering is IV V VI I II III?
George Lucas: Oh, this will make perfect sense.  The force is actually tiny microorganism is the jedi's blood stream and Darth Vader is Luke's father, which we only take because I say so.
" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Star Wars Robot Chicken

cmdshft

• The Elder Ones
  • swiggity swooty
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2007, 07:03:32 AM »

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2007, 07:06:21 AM »
Stargate was crap

cmdshft

• The Elder Ones
  • swiggity swooty
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2007, 07:39:23 AM »

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2007, 07:40:49 AM »
Sorry. Stargate was great I'm sure, just wasn't my cup of tea.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2007, 07:44:24 AM »
Anyway I think Star Trek is better mainly cos I grew up watching it (and Babylon 5 and that other one I can't remember) cos my dad watched it so we all watched it as well.

?

cadmium_blimp

• funny, you thought I'd convert, didn't you?
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2007, 07:54:16 AM »

Quote from: Commander Taggart
Never give up, never surrender!

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2007, 07:55:50 AM »
babylon 5 was great :D

Masterchef

• Rabble rabble rabble
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2007, 08:15:03 AM »
Well, I don't judge shows on how they impact society, I judge them on how good they are. A bad show is still bad no matter how it effects society.

So Star Wars all the way.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2007, 08:44:04 AM »
I think I only saw one Star Wars film, they just didn't interest me at all.

I remember the other one I watched now, Deep Space Nine.

Trekky0623

• Official Member
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2007, 09:04:38 AM »
I think I only saw one Star Wars film, they just didn't interest me at all.

I remember the other one I watched now, Deep Space Nine.
Deep Space Nine is Star Trek, though.