Is Japan ever likely to have an army again?

• 33 Replies

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
Is Japan ever likely to have an army again?
« on: May 18, 2007, 08:26:43 PM »
That question came up on my exam and I tried to answer it despite not bothering to revise Japan and I was wondering what you FES fools think about it.

My argument pretty much was that that Japan will end up with an army again if the international political climate of "fear" carries on
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

?

cadmium_blimp

• funny, you thought I'd convert, didn't you?
Re: Is Japan ever likely to have an army again?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 08:30:32 PM »
As long as they have hentai they have no need for an army.

kekekeke

No, really, they'll probably have an army of some sort someday.  Very little of any kind of treaty or such is permanent.  It'll get old, people will forget, people may just not care, and they'll make themselves an army.  As long as every other country in the world has an army, it's stupid not to have one.  On the other hand, the world may be a better place if there were no armies, but there won't be any country to be the first to say, "Ok, we're not going to have an army anymore because that's just stupid."  They'd be too scared of getting pounded by some other country with an army.  And the arms race continues.

Quote from: Commander Taggart
Never give up, never surrender!

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 08:32:12 PM »
Well they don;t have one not because of a treaty but because of their constitution. They'd need to change that, and there is a debate going on about changing the constitution which I'm wondering who will win.
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

?

Rick_James

• The Elder Ones
  • Rick <3 Gayer
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 08:33:05 PM »
a) I'm pretty sure they already have some sort of army

b) Isn't that what being neutral is Caddy? (ie. Switzerland)

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 08:34:15 PM »
They don;t have an army Rick, they're not allowed to have standing armies. Or sitting armies. Though they do have a highly trained police force which could be an army if it had some weapons beyond handguns.

?

Rick_James

• The Elder Ones
  • Rick <3 Gayer
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 08:35:24 PM »
They don;t have an army Rick, they're not allowed to have standing armies. Or sitting armies. Though they do have a highly trained police force which could be an army if it had some weapons beyond handguns.

like I said... some sort of an army, if not an official one (don't they have a peacekeeping force as well?)

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 08:36:59 PM »
Yeah they got a peacekeeping force, but that;s just for use in UN operations I think.

I did stick in my exam about the police force resembling an army of sorts :)

?

cadmium_blimp

• funny, you thought I'd convert, didn't you?
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2007, 08:40:24 PM »
b) Isn't that what being neutral is Caddy? (ie. Switzerland)
That's a good point.  The shitty thing about neutrality, though, is that you're at the mercy of every other country with an army.  You very nearly have no s-ah-vern-tee because anyone can just come along and pay no mind to your borders and set up an occupying army. 

Quote from: Commander Taggart
Never give up, never surrender!

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2007, 08:42:07 PM »
Neutrality doesnt mean you don;t have an army and cant defend yourself, just means you dont get involved in other state's conflicts

?

Rick_James

• The Elder Ones
  • Rick <3 Gayer
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2007, 08:48:25 PM »
Is there a Swiss Army? (Apart from utility-knife makers?)

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2007, 08:51:13 PM »
Yeah they do. And the Swiss Guard is pretty famous, they're the ones that protect the pope

?

Rick_James

• The Elder Ones
  • Rick <3 Gayer
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2007, 08:53:33 PM »
I think there's a photo of one of them in another thread

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2007, 08:54:19 PM »
Find it fool!

dysfunction

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2007, 08:56:39 PM »
Yes, there is indeed a Swiss Army. It's not huge, but coupled with the mountains... In addition, Switzerland still has the draft, so they could raise 1.5 million soldiers if need be, and they have good training and modern weapons and equipment, including U.S.-built F-18s and F-5 IIs.
the cake is a lie

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2007, 08:58:31 PM »
You know, I like how a thread on Japan having an army turns into discussion of the Swiss army :p Cos i'm on the thread and all threads I touch change topic...I have a crappy version of the Midas touch

Dioptimus Drime

• Meep.
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2007, 10:43:21 PM »
I fight the Japanese army all the time...Well, in Battlefield 1942...Aherm...

Anyways, as for them actually having an army, well...I didn't know they didn't have an army. What is it that blocks them from having one? THEY put it in THEIR constitution?  ???

~D-Draw

cmdshft

• The Elder Ones
  • swiggity swooty
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2007, 12:28:04 AM »
The Japanese actually do have an army. However, their constitution, and the treaty, state that they can only use their army to defend, never to attack. This was instated after WWII.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2007, 04:18:51 AM »

Anyways, as for them actually having an army, well...I didn't know they didn't have an army. What is it that blocks them from having one? THEY put it in THEIR constitution?  ???

~D-Draw

Someone needs a history lesson :P

After WWII when the US occupied Japan, the US "helped" Japan write its constitution and they had to put in that they wouldn't have an army ever again but in return there was a security pact between Japan and the US.

cmdshft

• The Elder Ones
  • swiggity swooty
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2007, 07:20:16 AM »

~D-Draw

Someone needs a history lesson :P

After WWII when the US occupied Japan, the US "helped" Japan write its constitution and they had to put in that they wouldn't have an army ever again but in return there was a security pact between Japan and the US.

Wrong again. Replace the words "they wouldn't have an army ever again" with "they could have an army, but only use it to defend, and never to attack".

?

joffenz

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2007, 07:35:33 AM »
Wrong again. Replace the words "they wouldn't have an army ever again" with "they could have an army, but only use it to defend, and never to attack".

Depends how you define 'army'

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2007, 07:50:17 AM »
They're not allowed an army in the traditional sense of the word.

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2007, 07:51:56 AM »
They're not allowed an army in the traditional sense of the word.

This is true, but who follows rules anyways? Every Country should have the right to expansion.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2007, 07:53:05 AM »
Why should every country have a right to expansion? That infringes on other countries.

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2007, 07:55:36 AM »
Why should every country have a right to expansion? That infringes on other countries.

America should not be able to say "You can't have an army." That automatically takes away Japan's ability to get any stronger. I suppose it infringes on other countries, but if the other countries are prepared for war and expansion, then they shouldn't have any problem fighting back. Survival of the fittest.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2007, 07:58:19 AM »
Anarchical international system, you Realist!

I reckon Japan should change its constitution as it is pretty out dated and they should be allowed an army, not for the purposes of expansion though it would be better if the world goes away from the anarchical system towards one that's more government by international institutions designed to stop the ol' warring

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2007, 07:59:33 AM »
Anarchical international system, you Realist!

I reckon Japan should change its constitution as it is pretty out dated and they should be allowed an army, not for the purposes of expansion though it would be better if the world goes away from the anarchical system towards one that's more government by international institutions designed to stop the ol' warring

I suppose we just differ in that aspect. I don't believe war can ever be avoided.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2007, 08:01:12 AM »
Conflict is pretty much a inevitable part of the human condition but more can and should be done to control it.

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2007, 08:01:41 AM »
Conflict is pretty much a inevitable part of the human condition but more can and should be done to control it.

Perhaps if we had smarter leaders.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2007, 08:04:25 AM »
I reckon most world leaders are smarter than we think. What we need is better and stronger international organisation

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2007, 08:05:47 AM »
I reckon most world leaders are smarter than we think. What we need is better and stronger international organisation

If they were all smarter than we think, they'd be able to figure something out. George W. Bush is an abomination to the abomination known as the United States of America.