The Earth - Does it spin? (probably not)

• 43 Replies
Re: The Earth - Does it spin? (probably not)
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2007, 07:00:25 PM »
Well, no, I argue that it doesn't move at all under you, for the same reason that a ball thrown upward isn't deflected above you:  The Earth is moving you with it, and when you jump, you're only changing the outward radial component of your velocity.  Because the acceleration due to gravity is radially inward, it only affects the radial component of your velocity, and thus the horizontal component is unaffected.

Did you forget that rotating bodies exhibit centripetal acceleration?

Did you forget about gravity?

James

• Flat Earther
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2007, 07:25:40 AM »

But all credible sub-fields of modern physics (String Theory and other unifying theories aside) are based on empirical evidence.  A science based on speculation alone is not a science at all.

Not at all - all theoretic science (the science of Copernicus, Newton, Hawking etc., etc.) is integrally based on speculation. The theorist, unlike the zeteticist, seeks to find evidence which appears to support his speculation. The good zeteticist deals only in facts.
"For your own sake, as well as for that of our beloved country, be bold and firm against error and evil of every kind." - David Wardlaw Scott, Terra Firma 1901

« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2007, 08:04:12 AM »

But all credible sub-fields of modern physics (String Theory and other unifying theories aside) are based on empirical evidence.  A science based on speculation alone is not a science at all.

Not at all - all theoretic science (the science of Copernicus, Newton, Hawking etc., etc.) is integrally based on speculation. The theorist, unlike the zeteticist, seeks to find evidence which appears to support his speculation. The good zeteticist deals only in facts.

I disagree entirely.  What supposed "facts" do you have to work with, other than "the Earth appears flat up close"?  Cite specific examples.

And like I've said over and over and over again ad nauseum, which doesn't seem to be sinking in.  I will bold it this time.  Newton based his laws on empirical observation.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 08:05:43 AM by cwolfe »

« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2007, 08:38:54 AM »
Well, no, I argue that it doesn't move at all under you, for the same reason that a ball thrown upward isn't deflected above you:  The Earth is moving you with it, and when you jump, you're only changing the outward radial component of your velocity.  Because the acceleration due to gravity is radially inward, it only affects the radial component of your velocity, and thus the horizontal component is unaffected.

Did you forget that rotating bodies exhibit centripetal acceleration?

Did you forget about gravity?

I'm wondering, how is gravity going to increase your speed to you can maintain your location above the spot you jumped from?

?

Loard Z

• Insert witty intellectual phrase here...
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2007, 08:45:58 AM »
I was also wondering this...
if i remember, austria is an old, dis-used name for what is now Germany.
See My Greatness

« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2007, 08:50:32 AM »
Not quite sure if I understand the question.  Could you elaborate?

« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2007, 09:15:29 AM »
Well, if you're traveling the same speed as the surface of the Earth, but you're taking a longer route, something is going to have to speed you up so you can maintain your location above a certain part of the Earth.  I thought you said gravity did that, so I'm wondering 'how?'.

« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2007, 09:23:59 AM »
Well, if you're traveling the same speed as the surface of the Earth, but you're taking a longer route, something is going to have to speed you up so you can maintain your location above a certain part of the Earth.  I thought you said gravity did that, so I'm wondering 'how?'.

Well, no, I think my final conclusion was that when you're jumping, you're only changing the radial component of your velocity.  Gravity only changes the radial component of your velocity.  Because you're not jumping very far, your moment of inertia does not change much at all, so you remain over the same spot you were at, because of conservation of angular kinetic energy.  Remember, rotational kinetic energy depends on the moment of inertia, as well as the angular velocity.

« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2007, 09:27:40 AM »
How long you're jumping for doesn't really matter.  There's going to be a difference if your jump is 3 seconds long just as well as 36 hours long.  What makes up for the difference in speed needed to maintain your location above a point on Earth?

« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2007, 09:37:12 AM »
How long you're jumping for doesn't really matter.  There's going to be a difference if your jump is 3 seconds long just as well as 36 hours long.  What makes up for the difference in speed needed to maintain your location above a point on Earth?

Actually, there really shouldn't be a difference in the amount of time you're elevated, by my reasoning.  My argument has to do with your moment of inertia from the Earth's axis of rotation.  If your moment of inertia doesn't change much, neither will your angular velocity.

« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2007, 09:42:43 AM »
You say the angular velocity isn't changing much, but 'much' means it's still changing.  Since it's changing, you're going to end up in a different place than you started but by a minute amount.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 09:52:32 AM by Mr. Ireland »

« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2007, 10:22:36 AM »
You say the angular velocity isn't changing much, but 'much' means it's still changing.  Since it's changing, you're going to end up in a different place than you started but by a minute amount.

Sure, why not?  What does it matter anyway?  We've pretty much answered the original poster's question.

« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2007, 11:48:48 AM »
It matters because you're not landing where you jumped from (in a perfect jump).

Moon squirter

• Ding dong!
« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2007, 11:50:10 AM »
OK

This problem can be simplified, if we consider the situation where we are jumping on the north pole.  Also, we can consider the jumper and the earth as a whole system.

In this instance, we have 2 vector quantities:  The system's rotational velocity (1 revolution per day) and the jumper's linear velocity (m/s upwards, as they jump).

The jumper remains part of the whole rotating system, even if he is in the air, because the jumper's rotational velocity has not been affected.

The above explanation assumes the jumper does not exert any torque (rotational force) during the jump.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 12:26:12 PM by Moon squirter »
I haven't performed it and I've never claimed to. I've have trouble being in two places at the same time.