The horizon

• 19 Replies
?

Mrs. Peach

• Official Member
The horizon
« on: May 06, 2007, 10:57:55 PM »
I promise this will be the last time I get out my little bow. I don’t know how much more basic it can get than this. 

The proof is right in front of our faces any time we stand on a beach on a clear day and see that great line between water and sky.  That horizon line is not what we would see if the earth were a flat disc.  We would see then a gradual blurring of the water until we were looking through so much atmosphere that the blue of the water and sky would merge and become one and the same.

That line, although appearing to our senses as straight from right to left, is the visual effect of the gradual drop of the great curve of the earth.  There is no reason it could exist on a flat earth.  So you don’t need a helium balloon and a camera, no need to look at photographs, no flying down to Rio to see the Southern Cross, no fancy paraphernalia of any kind  You just need your two eyes and a mind. 

*Edit    I should've checked my idea out a little more....anyway lesson learned.  ::)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 11:59:07 PM by Mrs. More »

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
Re: The horizon
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 11:09:07 PM »
The line of the horizon in a 3D world with a perfectly flat infinite surface also has a sharp break to it. This is despite the levels of "fog of war." Previously, poster EvilToothPaste posted a few renders of a 3D world with a for us under different conditions. In each of his images there was a distinct line to the horizon - a solid break which is a necessity of geometry.

When we look out at the ocean we are not seeing the true line of the horizon anyway. The line we are seeing is the maximum height of the combined waves at the vanishing point. We can only see as far as the highest rise along the water, no matter how minuscule the rise may be. The true line of the horizon is located a couple degrees below the apparent line of the horizon.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 08:49:08 AM by Tom Bishop »

?

Mrs. Peach

• Official Member
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 11:11:39 PM »
You would never see that line at all on a flat earth, Tom.

?

∂G/∂x

• All Rights Reversed
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 04:40:11 AM »
Tom your wave theory has been proven wrong. Please stop throwing it about.
Quote from: Tom Bishop
The universe has already expanded forever

Quote from: Proverbs 24:17
Rejoice not when thine enemy falleth, and let not thine heart be glad when he stumbleth.

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 08:18:03 AM »
Tom, that's helarious.  So, I guess it's all an illusion.  ::)

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2007, 08:46:39 AM »
Why can't telescopes see past the horizon?
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2007, 08:47:47 AM »
Air blockage.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2007, 10:48:33 AM »
The "horizon" is an illusion from the conspiracy.

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2007, 10:49:49 AM »
Tom, that's helarious.  So, I guess it's all an illusion.  ::)
Shut up, you're an illusion.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2007, 11:19:51 AM »
Air blockage.

But I point a telescope (or pair of binoculars) at a star that is just above the horizon, I see the star.  Why isn't the air blocking that?

Why doesn't the air block my view of the sky at all, for that matter?  The distance to the horizon isn't as much as the height of the atmosphere.  I should only be able to see a bubble of air around me, the same size in all directions.

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2007, 12:01:43 PM »

Uhuh  ???

I can't even take this forum seriously

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2007, 12:03:00 PM »
Air blockage.

And how does air, a colourless matter, block one's view?

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2007, 12:08:16 PM »

Uhuh  ???

You should!  We are right!

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2007, 12:11:37 PM »

Uhuh  ???

You should!  We are right!

What makes you right? You're all paranoid if you ask me, lay off the pot, it doesn't make the "truth" clearer ::)

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2007, 02:08:05 PM »
Air blockage.

But I point a telescope (or pair of binoculars) at a star that is just above the horizon, I see the star.  Why isn't the air blocking that?

Why doesn't the air block my view of the sky at all, for that matter?  The distance to the horizon isn't as much as the height of the atmosphere.  I should only be able to see a bubble of air around me, the same size in all directions.

This is a serious question, Tom!  Answer me!

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2007, 02:12:07 PM »
This is a serious question, Tom!  Answer me!

The atmosphere is only one hundred miles high. When you look towards the horizon the atmosphere stretches for tens of thousands of miles.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2007, 02:16:29 PM »
It does?  From ground level?  So when I'm on the beach and see a boat dip below the horizon, that boat is tens of thousands of miles away from me?

Either I'm missing something here, or that makes no sense.

I never count out the possibility that I'm missing something, though, just so you know.  What am I missing here?

I'm willing to give you perspective, because not being an expert I can't really dispute it, but I think this whole "air blockage" thing is a hole in flat earth theory.

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2007, 03:09:06 PM »
It does?  From ground level?  So when I'm on the beach and see a boat dip below the horizon, that boat is tens of thousands of miles away from me?

Either I'm missing something here, or that makes no sense.

I never count out the possibility that I'm missing something, though, just so you know.  What am I missing here?

I'm willing to give you perspective, because not being an expert I can't really dispute it, but I think this whole "air blockage" thing is a hole in flat earth theory.

Ever wonder why mountain climbers take oxygen with them?  Well, that's because the air becomes thinner as you get higher.  Anyway, like the sun, the stars are lights (or in some theories just sunlight comming through a very thick cloud that never changes) that shine through the air no problem.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2007, 03:10:04 PM »
 >:( >:( >:(

Fine.  You win this round.

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2007, 03:26:09 PM »
Holy shit! I won something!