Atmoplane

• 176 Replies
?

Bushido

Atmoplane
« on: May 04, 2007, 12:35:40 PM »
Since the word sphere implies a round shape, I've changed the term to atmoplane. How does the atmoplane stay close to the Earth and doesn't 'leak off' from the edges (note: The Ice Wall can't hold it)?

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
Re: Atmoplane
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 01:10:19 PM »
Whose to say that the Flat Earth even has an edge?

Rowbotham said nothing about an edge.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 01:47:37 PM by Tom Bishop »

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 01:22:11 PM »
So we're completely abandoning science in all its forms and delving into pure fantasy now, are we, Tom?
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 01:26:26 PM »
If space can be infinite I see no reason why the tundra of ice and snow beyond the Ice Wall cannot also be infinite.

Dr. Samuel Birley Rowbotham held that knowing exactly what is at the end of the earth will forever be beyond the capability of any man or machine.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 01:29:54 PM »
Space is not infinite.  It has an edge.  It's like a giant four-dimensional sphere.

Implying that the earth has no end implies an infinitely large, infinitely powerful Universal Accelerator.

Are infinite perpetual motion machines now part of science, Tom?

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 01:31:57 PM »
Space is infinite in the sense that one could travel into the depths of space indefinitely and never reach the end.

The Universal Accelerator does not exist in Rowbotham's model.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 01:42:38 PM »
Space is infinite in the sense that one could travel into the depths of space indefinitely and never reach the end.

The Universal Accelerator does not exist in Rowbotham's model.

Stephen Hawking said that given an infinite amount of time, if you traveled in a straight line long enough you'd end up back where you started, same as on earth.  You can only "never reach the end" in the same sense that you can never reach the end of the earth.  There is none.  It's a sphere.  Do you consider the RE model to be infinite?

If the UA doesn't exist in Rowbotham's model what substitutes for gravity?

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 03:14:41 PM »
And once again, Tom furiously scours the internet, looking for something, ANYTHING, to back his point up. ;D

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2007, 03:17:00 PM »
OK Tom, now ur just spouting ill-informed male cow feaces.

You were furiously arguing the UA a few topics ago

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2007, 05:02:26 PM »
Dr. Samuel Birley Rowbotham held that knowing exactly what is at the end of the earth will forever be beyond the capability of any man or machine.

Well duh, it's impossible to find an edge of a sphere....  Anyhow, Rowbothom lived a long time ago, I doubt he could imagine what we have now.

dysfunction

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2007, 08:56:26 PM »
Since the word sphere implies a round shape, I've changed the term to atmoplane. How does the atmoplane stay close to the Earth and doesn't 'leak off' from the edges (note: The Ice Wall can't hold it)?

Your initial premise is faulty. Why can't the Ice Wall hold it?
the cake is a lie

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2007, 06:20:00 AM »
How could it hold it?

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2007, 08:24:15 AM »
Anyhow, Rowbothom lived a long time ago, I doubt he could imagine what we have now.

Astronomy, Calculus, Trig, and Exploration didn't exist in the mid 1800's?  ???

?

Bushido

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2007, 09:52:02 AM »

Your initial premise is faulty. Why can't the Ice Wall hold it?

The atmoplane/sphere spans above 150 ft in height which is the height of the Ice Wall.

P.S.
Don't try to look smart by using words like 'premise' because I did not make any conclusions. I just asked a simple question and wanted a simple reply, like the atmosphere can not 'leak off' because the Earth is round and there is no edge or something according to the FE theory.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 10:13:58 AM by Bushido »

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2007, 10:15:10 AM »
Astronomy, Calculus, Trig, and Exploration didn't exist in the mid 1800's?

Smart ass, you know what he's talking about, and if you don't you're moronic.

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2007, 10:40:17 AM »
The earth cannot be infinite. 
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2007, 10:48:55 AM »
Why not, exactly?
As I said in another thread...

Forget "Earth: Not a Globe". Why don't you try reading "Earth: Not a Book, the Real Thing".

?

Bushido

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2007, 10:56:29 AM »
Why not, exactly?

If the Earth had been infinite in size it would have had infinite mass and it would have taken an infinite amount of energy to accelerate it.

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2007, 10:57:58 AM »
Why not, exactly?

If the Earth had been infinite in size it would have had infinite mass and it would have taken an infinite amount of energy to accelerate it.
If the universe could be infinite in size than it could contain infinite energy and an infinite mass such as the earth.

Forget "Earth: Not a Globe". Why don't you try reading "Earth: Not a Book, the Real Thing".

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2007, 11:09:03 AM »
Why not, exactly?
Because that would require infinite everything, and there is not infinite everything.

The universe in not infinite.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

?

Bushido

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2007, 11:09:54 AM »
Why not, exactly?

If the universe could be infinite in size than it could contain infinite energy and an infinite mass such as the earth.

Yes, but then 'most' of the Universe would have been filled by the Earth.

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2007, 11:10:23 AM »
Why not, exactly?
Because that would require infinite everything, and there is not infinite everything. 
Many modern top scientists believe in the possibility of an infinite universe.

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2007, 11:11:12 AM »
Why not, exactly?

you cant fill most of an intinite universe. even with an infinite object in it, there is infinitely more room.

?

Bushido

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2007, 11:13:18 AM »
Why not, exactly?

you cant fill most of an intinite universe. even with an infinite object in it, there is infinitely more room.
This is true, but it's also true that whatever direction you have started going in that Universe, you would have ended up on the infinite Earth. Also, the infinite plane would cut the space in two parts. If you had been 'above' the Earth, you would have surely fallen on it, so the Sun and the Moon and the Stars would have colided with the Earth long ago.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 11:18:26 AM by Bushido »

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2007, 01:35:12 PM »
Why not, exactly?
Many modern top scientists believe in the possibility of an infinite universe.
I have never seen someone say its infinite. 
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2007, 02:33:22 PM »
look at page 1 of this thread, someone says it there

EvilToothpaste

• The Reverse Engineer
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2007, 03:31:07 PM »
Infinity is not a number, it's just a concept.  If a number is sufficiently large in its application then it is, for all intents of such application, infinite.  Take for instance sticking tweezers in an outlet.  To those tweezers and to you there is an infinite power source supplying current and voltage through the tweezers.  Ignoring the limits of power house-wiring can handle, there is no change in the voltage drop across the two lines even though there is essentially zero resistance between the two lines.  This is only possible with an infinite power source, which is obvious when looking at the equation for power: 

P = V2/R.

If voltage does not change when resistance goes to zero, then power goes quickly to infinity.  That's the benefit of breaker switches and fuses. 

In reality there is a voltage drop in such a case, but it's not due to the power source but to the amount of power a 12-gage house wire can handle.  If you put tweezers between high-power transmission lines then there truly would not be a change in the voltage drop across the lines.  But we know this is not an infinite power because there is a specific amount of finite energy supplied by a relatively small number of power plants.  Brown-outs and black-outs are good evidence that it is not an infinite power source, too.  But, that requires a very large sample in order to reach that conclusion.  Tweezers cannot draw enough power to conclude that there is anything other than infinite power in an outlet. 

One cannot go throwing "infinity this" or "infinity is impossible" around willy nilly.  You have to be very specific about the method of determining a quantity is infinite.  In the case of distance: how are you going to measure this distance and how long will you have been deceased before it can be concluded the distance is infinite or not?  What does an infinite distance to travel mean given the limits of humans? 

edited for your mom
« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 03:35:53 PM by EvilToothpaste »

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2007, 04:18:52 PM »
Infinite means endless, period.  A googolplex has 10,000 zeroes after it and it does not equate to infinity.  That explanation was ridiculous.

How can you measure whether the universe is truly infinite or not?  You can't, of course.  You might as well try to disprove the existence of God.  But our theoretical understanding of the universe, based on the expansion caused by the Big Bang, is that it is finite.  I do not believe in an infinite universe and I do not believe in an infinite flat earth.  And doesn't the concept of an infinite universe contradict Newton's theories of thermodynamics?  I thought there was a limit to the amount of energy that can exist in the universe.  I'm no expert on physics, so if I'm wrong, feel free to correct me.

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2007, 05:10:31 PM »
look at page 1 of this thread, someone says it there
I meant scientists. 
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

?

Bushido

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2007, 03:23:05 AM »
So, to return to the topic of the thread, it has been concluded that the Flat Earth has to have infinite surface area if it supposed to hold on to its atmolayer.

This means the Universe is divided into two semispaces. One 'below' the Earth (the underworld), from where the Universal Accelerator operates, and one from 'above' the Earth (the heavens), where everything we see is situated.

I draw your attention to a thread posted by 'leclerc' (Is the Moon flat too in FE?), where 'Mr. Ireland' proposed the only possible solution to the problem which was discussed, but that can not work in an infinite Flat Earth.

Also, due to Foucault pandulum, it has become accepted to consider the Earth as rotating about a perpendicular axis through the North Pole. It seems we are a negligable distance from the center of this inifinite plane. There is also the problem of the distance from a rotating center. The greatest distance from the center is:

rmax = c/ω

where ω is the angular velocity of rotation, because points further from this distance would have rotational velocities greater than the speed of light c. Also, as the distance grows larger, the centrifugal tensile stress grows larger, so the Earth would tear apart (unless it is also infinitely thick, which would leave no place for the UA) from these stresses.