What about parachuting and hang gliding?

• 11 Replies
« on: March 10, 2006, 03:42:57 AM »
Here is another question for FE's regarding the "accelerating earth" theory:

If there is no gravity, but rather the earth "catches up" with you, then how would a parachute or hang glider help one from dying from the force of the earth "catching up to them"?

If, at any rate, one is NOT falling but still in the air until the earth reaches them, then a parchute or hang glider would NOT help an individual who is parachuting or hang gliding because they would still die from the earth catching up to them....

I think this kind of disproves the "accelerating earth" theory, does it not?  If not, then I would like to hear an explanation from FE's around this one.
Science and religion do NOT contradict one another, but are two truths." (from askmoses.com)

"Religion without science is blind, but science without religion is lame." - Albert Einstein

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
Re: What about parachuting and hang gliding?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 09:28:33 AM »
Quote from: "mbczion"
Here is another question for FE's regarding the "accelerating earth" theory:

If there is no gravity, but rather the earth "catches up" with you, then how would a parachute or hang glider help one from dying from the force of the earth "catching up to them"?

Think of it this way.  The air is part of the Earth.  While you're falling, not only does the ground catch up to you, but so does the rest of the non-falling Earth (which includes the air).

Normally, i.e., without a parachute or hangglider, your body pushes the air aside fairly nicely (up to a certain point, that is, called the terminal velocity).  Note also that your body is also not bad at pushing water aside, or mud aside, so if you try to stand on these things, the Earth will accelerate upwards and you will not accelerate upwards quite as much: the water/mud/air doesn't put as much force on you as the solid ground does.

However, parachutes and hanggliders make it much more difficult for your body to push the air aside (though not impossible... you still fall at something like 30 m/s with a parachute for example).  So when you try to "stand on" air with a parachute, it's kinda like... standing on wet cement without a parachute.  The rest of the world (ground, cement, air, water, etc.) accelerates upwards past you, but it isn't very good at transmitting this force to you, so you don't accelerate as much.

(your acceleration upwards) - (earth's acceleration upwards) = (perceived acceleration due to gravity).

-Erasmus
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

?

joffenz

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 09:37:24 AM »
Indeed, you are forgetting that air resistance is pushing the paraglider upwards.

This type of thread has came up many times, I'm adding it to the FAQ to save more new posts.

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 10:48:22 AM »
Kinda like archimede in air

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2006, 08:47:47 AM »
Quote from: "cheesejoff"
Indeed, you are forgetting that air resistance is pushing the paraglider upwards.

This type of thread has came up many times, I'm adding it to the FAQ to save more new posts.

There are so many threads in this forum, that I don't have the time to research way back when who knows how many pages into each forum topic in order to see if it has come up.  Granted I think adding it to the FAQ would be a good idea.
Science and religion do NOT contradict one another, but are two truths." (from askmoses.com)

"Religion without science is blind, but science without religion is lame." - Albert Einstein

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2006, 10:29:37 PM »
Sorry to bring this thread back up, but a) it still hasn't been added to the FAQ thread and b) I have another ? about parachuters/hang-gliders:

If a parachuter and/or hang-glider is not falling, but the earth is "catching up with him", then why does one feel like one is going to vomit after jumping out of a plane (before the parachute opens) as opposed to feeling absolutely nothing (which would be the case if one was just "still in the air" until the earth caught up with him)?

Sorry if this has already been answered as well, but like I said, this question still has not been added to the FAQ....

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2006, 11:30:13 PM »
sudden "deceleration"

"Jerk", in the jargon of physics.  Bravo.

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2006, 11:47:46 PM »
However, there is a big difference between feeling sick and queesy versus the feeling of free-falling (you know, like you left your heart about a half-mile above) which I still cannot seem to understand how this feeling would occur if there is no gravity, which is what FE's claim....

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2006, 11:52:07 PM »
Quote from: "flyingleaf"
sudden "deceleration"

"Jerk", in the jargon of physics.  Bravo.

So, this is me being an idiot, clicking "edit" instead of "quote".  Turns out flyingleaf said a bunch of smart things.  Seems that mbczion got the response tho.... sorry :P  I think I'll go and sulk now.

Stupid phenomenal cosmic power.

-Erasmus
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

?

joffenz

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2006, 01:57:53 AM »
Quote from: "Erasmus"
So, this is me being an idiot, clicking "edit" instead of "quote".  Turns out flyingleaf said a bunch of smart things.  Seems that mbczion got the response tho.... sorry :P  I think I'll go and sulk now.

-Erasmus

I did the exact same thing too! Blast those ostriches, blast their eyes!

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2006, 03:58:53 AM »

cheesejoff how is this normal???
seriously
-grim

?

EnragedPenguin

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2006, 09:19:59 AM »
Quote from: "Erasmus"

-Erasmus

Don't worry about it, I've deleted an entire thread before only to find out it was the wrong one :oops: .
A different world cannot be built by indifferent people.