« on: May 02, 2007, 04:14:48 PM »
Round Earth:
1) Graviton

Flat Earth:
1) Foucalt Pendulum
2) Coriolis Effect
3) Distances
4) Discovery of Shadow Object
5) Change of g (acceleration of gravity on Earth)

This will be updated constantly.

Re: List of Flat Earth and Round Earth Holes
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 05:54:05 AM »
Not the graviton directly.  More a reason for gravitation isn't it?

?

Amroth

• Third in command of The Planar Army. MIA
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2007, 05:59:18 AM »
I can think of lots more for RE... I'll find them all but yeah, photons are the big one that sticks out in my mind... another is anti-matter type things... Many Many Many physics things have holes.

I can't think of many for FE because I don't know FE that well...
Nothing is impossible. Improbable. Unlikely. But never impossible.

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 08:21:19 AM »
I can think of lots more for RE... I'll find them all but yeah, photons are the big one that sticks out in my mind... another is anti-matter type things... Many Many Many physics things have holes.

I can't think of many for FE because I don't know FE that well...
Anti matter is real.  No hole there.  How is there a re hole in photons? 

Gravitation does not need a graviton.  Simple general relativity answers all questions. 
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 10:37:29 AM »
you sir sokarul your a complete waste in the earth and space you dumbass!!!!!!!!!!!
Explain
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 10:58:07 AM »
1) Foucalt Pendulum

The variations of the pendulum are caused entirely by the contraction and expansion of its twine due to temperature variations. See Chapter 14, Section 8. Rowbotham provides additional insight in Chapter 14, Section 21.

2) Coriolis Effect

The Coriolis Effect on liquids was recently debunked by Snopes.

For wind currents; The two turnings of the winds between hemispheres create atmospheric "gears" with the teeth of these gears laying along the equator. The turning of the "gears" keep each other generally moving in opposite directions. Not literal gears, but ones consisting of wind currents rotating around a common barycenter. When two wind currents moving in opposite directions collide at the equator it creates a reaction in accordance with Newtons third law: For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. The molecules of the air are shot outwards and away with a direction and magnitude directly opposite.

What sits over the equator to make this such a special area? The sun - which constantly imparts temperatures to the two hemispheres, rising pressure directly under its umbrella with its heat, gradually moving the winds within its circling spotlight outwards and away from the high pressures of the day out towards the low pressures of the night. It is analogous to a spoon churning liquid in a vast mixing bowl. This effect builds up over time, creating predictable and recurring patterns of wind currents.

But this effect is not universal; there are still wind currents which wander into opposing hemispheres, violating the principles of the Coriolis Effect.

3) Distances

Sir James Clark Ross reports a circumference of over 60,000 miles in his five year expedition of the Ice Wall.

There is zero evidence suggesting that the lunar eclipse is the shadow of a spherical earth.

The moon glows with light from the sun, reflected off the Earth. Different parts of the Earth are more reflective than others (the seas, the polar cap, the ice wall, for example). Sometimes, the position of the sun means that only very low-reflective or non-reflective parts of the Earth's surface are illuminated, so the moon is abnormally dark.

To find the time, magnitude, and duration of a Lunar eclipse please consult page 155 of Earth Not a Globe.

What you know as acceleration is actually a gravitational field, as suggested by Einstein in his Principle of Equivalence. While the Flat Earth does not have gravity, it does have gravitation - a mechanical bending of space-time due to the acceleration of mass.

The change in g is a measurement of different levels of gravitation.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 12:37:33 PM by Tom Bishop »

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007, 11:16:44 AM »
Please add the following unexplained discrepancies to your list of Round Earth holes:

- How did the man who allegedly flew directly over the South Pole achieve this feat without turning a single degree? It is widely known that compasses do not work in the entire Arctic or Antarctic Circles. They just spin around wildly.

- Why are the magnetic field lines nearly vertical throughout the entire Arctic and Antarctic circles? What caused the core of the earth to become a flattened dipole?

- What evidence is there showing that the shadow on the moon during a Lunar eclipse comes from a spherical Earth?

« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 11:55:40 AM by Tom Bishop »

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2007, 12:55:02 PM »
Please add the following unexplained discrepancies to your list of Round Earth holes:

- How did the man who allegedly flew directly over the South Pole achieve this feat without turning a single degree? It is widely known that compasses do not work in the entire Arctic or Antarctic Circles. They just spin around wildly.
Its a continent, I think they can find the other side. 

- Why are the magnetic field lines nearly vertical throughout the entire Arctic and Antarctic circles? What caused the core of the earth to become a flattened dipole?
Simple magnet properties.  Try looking it up sometime.  Magnets don’t need to be flat. 

- What evidence is there showing that the shadow on the moon during a Lunar eclipse comes from a spherical Earth?
[/list]
The predictability.  The fact that weather and cloud cover does not affect the eclipse. 

1) Foucalt Pendulum

The variations of the pendulum are caused entirely by the contraction and expansion of its twine due to temperature variations. See Chapter 14, Section 8. Rowbotham provides additional insight in Chapter 14, Section 21.

He is a liar.  We already proved that.  You were to chicken to ever post in that thread again. 

2) Coriolis Effect

The Coriolis Effect on liquids was recently debunked by Snopes.

For wind currents; The two turnings of the winds between hemispheres create atmospheric "gears" with the teeth of these gears laying along the equator. The turning of the "gears" keep each other generally moving in opposite directions. Not literal gears, but ones consisting of wind currents rotating around a common barycenter. When two wind currents moving in opposite directions collide at the equator it creates a reaction in accordance with Newtons third law: For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. The molecules of the air are shot outwards and away with a direction and magnitude directly opposite.

What sits over the equator to make this such a special area? The sun - which constantly imparts temperatures to the two hemispheres, rising pressure directly under its umbrella with its heat, gradually moving the winds within its circling spotlight outwards and away from the high pressures of the day out towards the low pressures of the night. It is analogous to a spoon churning liquid in a vast mixing bowl. This effect builds up over time, creating predictable and recurring patterns of wind currents.

But this effect is not universal; there are still wind currents which wander into opposing hemispheres, violating the principles of the Coriolis Effect.
This is still in the air.  Snopes has been wrong before.  I have read arguments for boh sides. 

3) Distances

Sir James Clark Ross reports a circumference of over 60,000 miles in his five year expedition of the Ice Wall.
Prove it. 

There is zero evidence suggesting that the lunar eclipse is the shadow of a spherical earth.

The moon glows with light from the sun, reflected off the Earth. Different parts of the Earth are more reflective than others (the seas, the polar cap, the ice wall, for example). Sometimes, the position of the sun means that only very low-reflective or non-reflective parts of the Earth's surface are illuminated, so the moon is abnormally dark.

To find the time, magnitude, and duration of a Lunar eclipse please consult page 155 of Earth Not a Globe.
  Already explained.  Also did you see this? 
The formulć above quoted are entirely superfluous, because they add nothing to our knowledge of the causes of eclipses, and would not enable us to predict anything which has not hundreds of times already occurred. Hence all the labour of calculation is truly effort thrown away, and may be altogether dispensed with by adopting the simple process referred to at page 153, and calling that which eclipses the moon the "lunar eclipsor," or the moon's satellite, instead of the "earth's shadow," just as the moon is the sun's eclipsor.

What you know as acceleration is actually a gravitational field, as suggested by Einstein in his Principle of Equivalence. While the Flat Earth does not have gravity, it does have gravitation - a mechanical bending of space-time due to the acceleration of mass.

The change in g is a measurement of different levels of gravitation.
  The RE earth does have gravitation.  The FE does not.  A flat earth cannot have gravitation.  The edges would have angled gravitation, which would pull you toward the middle. 

ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2007, 01:46:02 PM »
    [/list]

LOL.  How about the fact that it is easily demonstrated that the moon is on one side of the earth and the sun is on the opposite side during an eclipse?

You know the sun.  That big source of light 93 million miles away?

You know what shadows are, right, Tom?  You know what causes them?

Are you familiar with the proven geometric principle that only a sphere always casts a perfectly round shadow?

You crack me up, Tom! :D
    Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
    « Reply #9 on: May 03, 2007, 03:03:34 PM »
    - Not the ENTIRE Antarctic Circle!  You keep saying that.  Okay, her's a map.  As you fly over, the compass turns and suddenly, you are going North!  That is your signal that you passed the South (magnetic) Pole.

I say it because it's true.

The compass spins wildly throughout the Arctic and Antarctic Circles because the magnetic field lines there are nearly vertical. Even a dip needle will only get one so far. Here is a good thorough explanation for why the compass rotates wildly in the northern latitudes and for why navigation in the extreme north and south is so immensely difficult for explorers.

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/aug98/899130154.Es.r.html

Despite believing in a RE, the author notes that a special compass with an axle is already needed for navigation in latitudes past SEATTLE. This is a personal observation.

2) STOP SAYING THAT!  It was debunked in TOILETS!  The storms and sea currents are explained by your "gear thing".  As we move away from the equator, the temperature goes down at the same rate.  There is NO way that wind and water can act as gears.

When two wind currents moving in opposite directions collide what do you believe happens - do they cancel each other out violating Newton's 3rd law? Or do they create an equal and opposite effect?

3) Why don't others notice this on flights?

Because international flights fly through jet streams.

Are you familiar with the proven geometric principle that only a sphere always casts a perfectly round shadow?

Are you familiar with the elementary school principle that it does not take a sphere to cast a round shadow?

The RE earth does have gravitation.  The FE does not.  A flat earth cannot have gravitation.  The edges would have angled gravitation, which would pull you toward the middle.

Acceleration and gravitation are the exact same phenomenon as laid out in Einstein's Equivalence Principle. Are you saying that you are smarter than Einstein?
    « Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 03:13:22 PM by Tom Bishop »

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
    • I'm the boss.
    « Reply #10 on: May 03, 2007, 03:04:42 PM »
    This is the point Tom Bishop leaves in order to avoid humiliation.

I think that ship sailed a long time ago!  ;D

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
    « Reply #11 on: May 03, 2007, 03:07:16 PM »
    LOL.  How about the fact that it is easily demonstrated that the moon is on one side of the earth and the sun is on the opposite side during an eclipse?

Where is your evidence for this? The Sun and Moon are at all times above the face of the earth.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
    • Planar Moderator
    • Queen of the gays!
    « Reply #12 on: May 03, 2007, 03:10:29 PM »

Where is your evidence for this? The Sun and Moon are at all times above the face of the earth.

Unless the earth is round
    Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
    If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
    Quote from: Raa
    there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
    • I'm the boss.
    « Reply #13 on: May 03, 2007, 03:10:57 PM »

Are you familiar with the elementary school principle that it does not take a sphere to cast a round shadow?

Well, you asked for evidence, not proof.  The fact that the earth has always cast a round shadow on the moon is certainly evidence that the earth is a sphere.  So how about if you leave semantics out of it, seeing as you suck at using them?
     ;D

Trekky0623

• Official Member
    « Reply #14 on: May 03, 2007, 03:12:52 PM »
    Tom, don't leave yet, we still haven't found anymore Round Earth Holes.  Current Score: FE: 5 RE: 1

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
    • I'm the boss.
    « Reply #15 on: May 03, 2007, 03:18:31 PM »

Where is your evidence for this?  Using zetetic observation, it certainly appears that they are not always above the face of the earth.  Sunsets and moonsets are observable evidence that this is not the case; just as you argue that the ground appears to be flat, therefore is, I argue that the sun and moon appear to dip below the earth on a regular basis, and therefore are not always above the face of the earth.  I'm using zetetic reasoning here, Tom.  Use zetetic reasoning to provide a viable explanation for why this is not the case.

?

∂G/∂x

• All Rights Reversed
    « Reply #16 on: May 03, 2007, 03:21:25 PM »
    Tom: An accelerating body would have constant gravitation across its face. Let me work this through with you...
    ~~~~~~~Steps into mystical FE land~~~~~~~

1. The Earth's mass does not affect it's gravitational pull, as mass does not cause gravitation.

2. The Earth is moving 'upwards' at 9.8m/s/s acceleration with unknown (and irrelevant) current velocity.

3. This acceleration is the single cause of gravitation.

4. The ground beneath you is accelerating upwards at an equal rate to the ground all over the Earth.

5. The ground beneath you is accelerating upwards at 9.8m/s/s

6. You are feeling a gravitation of 9.8m/s/s

7. This is (must be) true of all points on Earth, unless some accelerate faster than others.

Edit:
    Acceleration and gravitation are the exact same phenomenon as laid out in Einstein's Equivalence Principle. Are you saying that you are smarter than Einstein?
    You are the one who disagrees with him on gravitation also being caused by mass. This is not the main point of my post, so if you wish to reply please address the above...
    « Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 03:23:53 PM by Gin »
    Quote from: Tom Bishop
    The universe has already expanded forever

Quote from: Proverbs 24:17
    Rejoice not when thine enemy falleth, and let not thine heart be glad when he stumbleth.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
    • I'm the boss.
    « Reply #17 on: May 03, 2007, 03:32:00 PM »
    Wow, I guess this is the point where Tom just runs away. ;D

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
    « Reply #18 on: May 03, 2007, 03:36:50 PM »
    Unless the earth is round

Incorrect. The earth is flat.

Tom: An accelerating body would have constant gravitation across its face. Let me work this through with you...

The acceleration of mass is gravitation. There is no difference. Consult Einstein's Equivalence Principle.

Well, you asked for evidence, not proof.  The fact that the earth has always cast a round shadow on the moon is certainly evidence that the earth is a sphere.  So how about if you leave semantics out of it, seeing as you suck at using them?

It's not a round shadow. It's an oval shadow if anything.

http://epod.usra.edu/archive/images/eclipse-lunar-2004-05-04-3.jpg

What about this images suggests a spherical earth?

Tom, don't leave yet, we still haven't found anymore Round Earth Holes.  Current Score: FE: 5 RE: 1

Off the cuff, I see the following Round Earth holes:

- How did the man who made the alleged transcontinental flight over Antarctica do it without using a compass? Compasses don't work there.

- Why the earth's core is a dipole?

- What causes inert mass to bend space-time?

- What is Dark Matter?

- What causes reversals in earth's magnetic field?

- What evidence is there that the shadow on the moon comes from a spherical earth?

- What evidence is there that the tides are caused by the moon's gravity?

- What evidence is there that the Coriolis Effect is caused by the rotation of the Earth?

- Why does the axis of the earth remain tilted if every part of the earth and sun are constantly pulling on each other at every second of the day?

- Is there a simple test for determining whether a Newtonian elliptic curve has an infinite number of rational solutions?

- Can a Hodge cycle be written as a sum of algebraic cycles?

- Does Poincaré's test identify spheres in four-dimensional space?

Where is your evidence for this?  Using zetetic observation, it certainly appears that they are not always above the face of the earth.  Sunsets and moonsets are observable evidence that this is not the case; just as you argue that the ground appears to be flat, therefore is, I argue that the sun and moon appear to dip below the earth on a regular basis, and therefore are not always above the face of the earth.  I'm using zetetic reasoning here, Tom.  Use zetetic reasoning to provide a viable explanation for why this is not the case.

By Zetetic reasoning we conclude that either the sun is either physically setting into the surface of the earth, or that we are observing an optical illusion due to a perspective effect. Logic suggests the later. This effect is fully described in Earth Not a Globe.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 04:16:49 PM by Tom Bishop »

?

∂G/∂x

• All Rights Reversed
    « Reply #19 on: May 03, 2007, 03:41:06 PM »
    - Is there a simple test for determining whether a Newtonian elliptic curve has an infinite number of rational solutions?

Marvellous questions there Tom. I have a question for the FEers:

Is any even number greater than for expressible as the sum of two primes? Prove it.

Rejoice not when thine enemy falleth, and let not thine heart be glad when he stumbleth.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
    • I'm the boss.
    « Reply #20 on: May 03, 2007, 03:41:29 PM »
    I love how you make your list more and more nonsensical as it goes on.  It's great satire.  Keep up the good work, Tom.

Just out of curiosity, how exactly did you judge that the shadow looks oval?

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
    • I'm the boss.
    « Reply #21 on: May 03, 2007, 03:43:28 PM »

Marvellous questions there Tom. I have a question for the FEers:

Is any even number greater than for expressible as the sum of two primes? Prove it.

:D :D :D.  I've got one too.  Is the real part of any non-trivial zero of the Riemann zeta function ˝?  Is there a simple test for determining this?

?

∂G/∂x

• All Rights Reversed
    « Reply #22 on: May 03, 2007, 03:44:30 PM »
    Why the earth's core is a dipole?

It isn't, perfectly. It closely resembles one for the same reason any magnet does, but isnt quite one because the liquid core moves around a bit.

What evidence is there that the shadow on the moon comes from a spherical earth?

It is ALWAYS a curve. A roundy round round curve.

Why does the moon go red in FE, when the shadow on it had previously been black(ish)?

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
    • I'm the boss.
    « Reply #23 on: May 03, 2007, 03:49:04 PM »

By Zetetic reasoning we conclude that either the sun is either physically setting into the surface of the earth, or we are observing an optical illusion due to a perspective effect. Logic suggests the later. This effect is fully described in Earth Not a Globe.

Hey!  Maybe, just maybe, it's an optical illusion that causes the earth to appear flat when we look at it!  This effect is fully described in any number of books written by or referencing real scientists.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
    • I'm the boss.
    « Reply #24 on: May 03, 2007, 03:50:01 PM »
    "Logic suggests the latter."  ROFL!

?

∂G/∂x

• All Rights Reversed
    « Reply #25 on: May 03, 2007, 03:53:05 PM »
    ~~~~~~~Steps into mystical FE land~~~~~~~

1. The Earth's mass does not affect it's gravitational pull, as mass does not cause gravitation.

2. The Earth is moving 'upwards' at 9.8m/s/s acceleration with unknown (and irrelevant) current velocity.

3. This acceleration is the single cause of gravitation.

4. The ground beneath you is accelerating upwards at an equal rate to the ground all over the Earth.

5. The ground beneath you is accelerating upwards at 9.8m/s/s

6. You are feeling a gravitation of 9.8m/s/s

7. This is (must be) true of all points on Earth, unless some accelerate faster than others.

Tom still didn't answer this point, possibly due to the evidence in favour of RE contained therein.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
    • I'm the boss.
    « Reply #26 on: May 03, 2007, 03:59:51 PM »
    Tom, have you finally run away now?

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
    « Reply #27 on: May 03, 2007, 04:03:10 PM »
    First off, that was very childish "Incorrect.  The Earth is flat".  We are having a debate.  As of yet, neither flat or round has been confirmed.

You're not much of a debater. All I ever hear from you is "well it just is" when you are unable to come up with a simple explanation.

The plane over the South Pole question has definitely not been answered by you, or anyone else on this forum. Compasses are completely useless over the entire Arctic and Antarctic circles. Read over this link:

http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/aug98/899130154.Es.r.html

- Tides themselves and how they correspond with the moon.

How do the tides correspond to the location of moon? High tides occur when the umbrella of the moon is in a completely different location. Sir Isaac Newton himself admitted that such explanation is the least satisfactory portion of the "theory of gravitation."

- ROUND SHADOWS

That shadow hardly looks "perfectly round" to me. More of an oval I'd say. What makes you think that it is the shadow of a spherical earth?

- Look into the Special Theory of Relativity.

I'm familiar with Relativity. The only theory of gravity Einstein puts forward is the Equivalence Principle.

- The way storms correspond with this rotation.

Are you suggesting that the Southern Hemisphere spins backwards while the Northern Hemisphere spins forwards?

Tom still didn't answer this point, possibly due to the evidence in favour of RE contained therein.

According to Einstein's Equivalence Principle, what you know as acceleration is really a gravitational field that bends space-time. When you accelerate your hand to swat at a fly on the table, your hand is creating a gravitational field as it accelerates through space, however minuscule. Therefore, different levels of acceleration, in conjunction with different levels of mass, would create different levels of gravitation.

For the exact mathematics on Einstein's Principle of Equivalence see this paper on the subject: http://xxx.lanl.gov/ftp/physics/papers/0204/0204044.pdf

"However one of the main tenants of general relativity is the Principle of Equivalence: A uniform gravitational field is exactly equivalent to a uniformly accelerating frame of reference. This implies that one can create a uniform gravitational field simply by changing one’s frame of reference from an inertial frame of reference to an accelerating frame, which is a rather difficult idea to accept."

Also, read this recent thread where TheEngineer breaks down the Equivalence Principle: http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=11670.0

« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 04:21:49 PM by Tom Bishop »

?

∂G/∂x

• All Rights Reversed
    « Reply #28 on: May 03, 2007, 04:07:26 PM »
    Therefore, different levels of acceleration, in conjunction with different levels of mass, would create different levels of gravitation.

You FEers maintain mass DOES NOT create gravitation EVER. Therefore there must be variations in acceleration over the Earth. Yes?

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
    « Reply #29 on: May 03, 2007, 07:27:43 PM »
    You FEers maintain mass DOES NOT create gravitation EVER. Therefore there must be variations in acceleration over the Earth. Yes?

Gravitation in FE has connection to mass. Gravitation has connection to mass by definition. Why wouldn't it?  ???

It's Gravity that does not exist. Gravitation and Gravity are completely different things.

Not the ENTIRE Antarctic Circle!  You keep saying that.  Okay, her's a map.  As you fly
    over, the compass turns and suddenly, you are going North!  That is your signal that you passed the South (magnetic) Pole.

Did you read that link I gave yet?

Read every word: http://www.madsci.org/posts/archives/aug98/899130154.Es.r.html

The Author states that the compass is already scraping the bottom of its plate at the latitude of Seattle, Washington. He's nowhere near the pole and already his compass barely works. At higher latitudes when one tilts the compass to try and compensate "gravity" takes over and the compass becomes useless.

It has always been difficult to navigate around the poles.

You can't predict a wobble.  You must use the moon and sun.

That's not even how the RE tide theory works. According to the RE hypothesis the tides work according to this diagram.

The are a number of problems with this model of the tides:

- The bulge of water should follow the moon as it revolves around the earth.

- There is no reason for high tide to occur on the opposite side of the earth when the moon is diagonal to one side.

Current tide predictions don't even use the position of the moon. Tide equations use a number of recurring constituents and recorded water level trends in order to predict the tides.

I've already provided an FE explanation for tides in a previous thread.
    « Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 07:55:29 PM by Tom Bishop »