Simple Questions :)

• 38 Replies

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
Simple Questions :)
« on: April 29, 2007, 03:34:57 PM »
How do you know a massive conspiracy exists? Is it because one has to exist for a flat Earth?

How do you know the sun is a spotlight? Is it because it has to be on a flat Earth?

How do you know gravity is fictitious? Is it because it contradicts your theory?

How do you know that people guard the 'icewall'? Is it because it would be necessary to invent them in order to defend your theory?

Wait.. I have a good one.

How do you know the world is flat?

...Rowbotham's findings were reproduced and clearly showed the Earth was round. Looking out a freaking window shows you the ground, not the Earths shape. (Look up local linearity) It seems that all FE'ers support this theory for no good reason...

I see four immediate possibilities:

1. You believe the Earth is round and enjoy debating and lying while getting tons of visitors on your site.

2. You fell for the Earth: Not a Globe's bullshit and are too dumb to realize it.

3. You are withholding evidence that you have used to come to the conclusion the Earth is flat while following the scientific method and for some reason haven't divulged it.  ::)

4. You are biblical literalists who are incapable of thinking for yourself.

5. You feel like the Earth should be flat to satisfy your insecurities... much like earlier civilizations believed in the Geocentric theory because they were the most important.

6. You are delusional and subject us to your own reality.

How do you know the Earth isn't round? Is it because it contradicts your preconceived notion that it is flat? Very scientific..
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
Re: Simple Questions :)
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 03:43:38 PM »
This is a request for evidence on FE's part.

This is not a request for:
*Some debunked shit.
*Religious arguments.
*Vague responses.
*Some naive conclusion based on observing the bottoms of your shoes.
*Not some half-assed phrase telling me to look out the window. (I suppose this fits into debunked  shit)

I want something that can be logically examined to convince me the Earth is flat. If it was true, it wouldn't be so hard. I am very open minded, but everything tells me this theory is wrong.
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 04:22:49 PM »
How many times have we heard that?

And haha you Berk!
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2007, 04:36:40 PM »
Dimwits? Who built massive aqueducts without mortar that still stand? Who built the pyramids? The Parthenon? The ancient Greeks invented hydraulics, rudamentary calculators (not the abacus, the Antekitherum device.) Steam powered machines, mechanical birds, the Sphinx, they practically invented modern mathematics, philosophy, and science. The ancient Greeks and Romans, Egyptians, Chinese, Inians, Mesopotamians, Phonicians, and Minoans were all incredibly advanced for their times. They proved through simpler means than Doctor Whatever can provide, and they employed an amazing tool called LOGIC. Geez Tom, Someone needs to re-think their perspective on the past.
Plato: People are inherently bad.
Aristotle: People are inherently good.
Me: People are inherently stupid.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2007, 04:38:12 PM »
Not sure he's actually calling them dimwits Pablo, think he's saying we're led to believe they're dimwits
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2007, 04:42:02 PM »
We are led to believe that the ancients, being the dimwits they were, believed in a Flat Earth. In reality the ancient Greeks, dating back to 2700 B.C, as well as most ancient other societies clearly believed in a Round Earth.

That's not what I'm getting from the above phrase.
That aside, the ancients did believe in a round earth. This is becasue they employed simple expiriments with simple math and logic.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 04:44:34 PM by Pablo the Incredible »

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2007, 04:43:42 PM »
We are led to believe that the ancients, being the dimwits they were, believed in a Flat Earth.

I thought that by the 'led' in that sentence he meant that we were just led to believe that they were dimwits who believed in a flat earth

?

Mongrelman

• Blasphemy!
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2007, 04:45:00 PM »
We are led to believe that the ancients, being the dimwits they were, believed in a Flat Earth.

I thought that by the 'led' in that sentence he meant that we were just led to believe that they were dimwits who believed in a flat earth

If that is the case, then the opposite has the same effect.  dimwits = Earth is flat is just the same as intelligent people = Earth is round.  Either way, I think that point makes no sense.
NOTICE:
I believe the Earth is round, and anything I say that suggests the contrary is stated for the spirit of debate.

Also, Viscount Dead Kangaroo > You.

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2007, 04:46:55 PM »
I think the dimwit comment he added was added to lower the ancients' status as intellectuals to further his theory.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2007, 04:47:37 PM »
Hmm. Why did he bother putting it anyway? It's not proof

?

Mongrelman

• Blasphemy!
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2007, 04:48:49 PM »
I have no idea.  To me, it actually furthers the proof that Earth is round.  He's either saying that intelligent people throughout history believed the Earth to be round or he's saying that the people who laid the foundation for all of civilation are a bunch of morons.
NOTICE:
I believe the Earth is round, and anything I say that suggests the contrary is stated for the spirit of debate.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2007, 04:50:25 PM »
Basically either way he loses with that point. What a berk.

?

Mongrelman

• Blasphemy!
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2007, 04:58:32 PM »
"- The Federal Reserve is a private corporation."

I also fail to see what that has to do with the shape of the Earth.  Seems sorta random to me, but meh...
NOTICE:

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2007, 05:01:37 PM »
Lunar Eclipses are more accurately predicted in FE.

But I don't remember them being explained, well not beyond a mysterious "shadow object" anyway

?

Mongrelman

• Blasphemy!
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2007, 05:14:13 PM »
- Dr. Samuel Birley Rowbotham is the only man throughout history who has conducted an honest in depth inquiry into the true shape of the earth.

1. Inquiries?  Inquiries are not proof.  If I question whether or not the internet works and inquire as to how it works, does that mean I have a valid theory?  No.  Because inquiries are just that: inquiries.

2. Only man?  Wait, so you haven't tried to reproduce his experiments?  And all the other flat Earth literature was written by him, he just signed other people's names?  This contradicts at least three of your earlier points.

3. As an added effect, 'only man' implies that no one has ever attempted to prove the Earth as round or flat.  So none of the people who have ever tried to circumnavigate Antarctica really exist?  Even if they were shot and killed by government officials when they reached the ice wall, the fact remains that they were making honest attempts at proving the shape.  Not to mention James Clark Ross, who you specifically mentioned.  I guess he doesn't actually exist sine Rowbotham was the only one ever to make honest inquiry?

I'm not saying these three statements prove anything, I'm just saying perhaps you should clear your post of subtle contradictions before you copy and paste it repeatedly.
NOTICE:

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2007, 05:15:44 PM »
Well said mongrelman

?

Mongrelman

• Blasphemy!
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2007, 05:20:24 PM »
Well said mongrelman

Am I now supposed to change my name to that?  I notice everybody has been doing that...
NOTICE:

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2007, 05:25:54 PM »
Er yeah that's how it works round here. So get to it!

And you did ;D
« Last Edit: April 29, 2007, 05:32:08 PM by Engy Baby »

?

Mongrelman

• Blasphemy!
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2007, 05:36:28 PM »
Yep.  Also uploaded a picture and typed up a signature.  Yay.

Just to stay on topic, Tom says no one has ever conducted an experiment to prove the Earth being round.  I've placed a ball on the so-called 'flat' surface and guess what, it rolled!  Amazing, innit?

This proof trumps the whole 'look out your window' arguement.  And this proof is terrible, so you can see how poor the look out your window arguement really is.
NOTICE:

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2007, 05:36:52 PM »
I see four immediate possibilities:
I count six.

Geez Tom, Someone needs to re-think their perspective on the past.
Trust me, he doesn't know perspective either.
Can the FAQ...
Yes, it can.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2007, 05:37:34 PM »
yay for you

And yeah his 'evidence' is pretty poor...

?

∂G/∂x

• All Rights Reversed
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2007, 05:50:01 PM »
No one in history has proved the earth as round. There have been no experiments conducted which prove a Round Earth

Shooting a big fucking rocket at the moon seems like a good square proof to me. Being a scientist Tom, you must know that no conspiracy theory is scientifically credible, especially not yours.

How did NASA get hold of $1.6 Trillion? Their budget is $16.4 billion per year. At this rate, not adjusted for inflation (this would make it even less), it would still take 100 years for NASA to accumulate that much money, minus the cost of faking pictures, developing incredibly advanced computers etc.

You're a clown!
Quote from: Tom Bishop
The universe has already expanded forever

Quote from: Proverbs 24:17
Rejoice not when thine enemy falleth, and let not thine heart be glad when he stumbleth.

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2007, 06:14:00 PM »
wow I cant believe how ignorant Tom is. 
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

?

akira

• Round Earth Proponent
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2007, 06:33:35 PM »

Look how beautiful it is at the top of the atmosphere, above 320,000 feet.
GPS does not require satellites, fortunately it uses it.

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2007, 06:37:24 PM »
wow I cant believe how ignorant Tom is.  

L0gic,

I became an Flat Earth proponent by doing the following:

- Taking a international commuter flight on a airliner at above 40,000 feet and looking for a single degree of curvature. The horizon was completely and absolutely flat when compared with a straight edge. Mathematically there should be a visible arc.
My flight was at 35,000 feet.  I was looking for the curve.  It was in conclusive because I didn't have anything to compare it to.    

- Reproducing the principle experiments outlined in Earth Not a Globe.
Stop lying.
- Reproducing a many number of other experiments in the vast Flat Earth Literature.
Stop lying.
- Contriving of my own types of experiments that proves the earth flat.
Explain

- Throughout the 150 year history of the Flat Earth Society each of its members came to believe in a Flat Earth by reproducing the experiments for themselves.

Lyign again are you?
- Researching the journals of James Clark Ross and finding that his expeditionary fleet actually did find a vast impenetrable 150 foot high Ice Wall, which he was unable to circumnavigate around over a period of months.
A famous wall that people still can see as they go over it.  

- Circumnavigation of the earth is possible on FE due to its magnetic layout.

Same as the RE
- Taking note of the inconsistencies of the Foucault Pendulum at different latitudes and with different experimenters. Sometimes it spins in the wrong direction. Also noticing the extreme lack of pendulums in the Southern Hemisphere.
The experiment preforms as it was meant too.  Simple physics state what the experiment proves.  You are HIDING FROM THE TRUTH.

- I've tried booking a cruise around with a complete circumnavigation of Antarctica. Each season the cruise has either been canceled or "booked full" every time.
Prove it.  
- Snope's debunking of the Coriolis force on liquids.

Seen it, also seen a sail claim it worked as he sailed the oceans.  
- The Federal Reserve is a private corporation.
Already explained. But you insist theres a conspiracy when the president and vice presidents dont know about it.  

- There is no such thing as a privately satellite. They are built and sent up by Government contractors.
There are.  I stared a thread how I met a guy that made the parts for them to sell to nasa.  

- Military airspace starts at altitudes past 60,000 feet. No one is allowed to breach into military airspace.
And?  
- There are vast inconsistencies between various NASA Round Earth images.
Are you talking about the thread where you posted pictures and then had to edit them because they went against what you said?  
- Past the Arctic and Antarctic circles the magnetic field lines are vertical and magnetic compasses are useless for navigation at those latitudes. They just spin around wildly. Polar explorers have an extraordinarily hard time navigating. Any claim of reaching a pole is untrusted.
People were navigating long before their were compasses.
- Vertical magnetic field lines within the entirety of the Arctic circle are unexplainable in RE.
Your own FE person proved this statement wrong.  
- Only one person has claimed to successfully have completed a transcontinental journey across the diameter of Antarctica. Without a compass he did it using "guess work." The other person who tried it conveniently froze to death in the process.
And then there was the hundreds of people that gon down there to film.  
- No one in history has proved the earth as round. There have been no experiments conducted which prove a Round Earth.
There are experiments, you change your theory to fit them.  

- Dr. Samuel Birley Rowbotham is the only man throughout history who has conducted an honest in depth inquiry into the true shape of the earth.
He never did anything. He was a thought experimentalist.  

- The Astronomical Unit is dependent on the shape of the Earth.

They new the order of the planets long before they knew the distance to the sun.  
- The refractive index of Snell's Law, or the Sphere of Vision effect may indeed provide an illusion of curvature from the altitude of a satellite.
Somehow they turn a pizza into a basketball?

- Lunar Eclipses are more accurately predicted in FE.
Not even close.

-  In the 90's when the 150 year old Flat Earth Society was gaining momentum again its main library of unique Flat Earth literature was conveniently lost in a fire.
And?  The dude didn't have fire insurance.  

- The Pole Star can be seen from 231/2 degrees beyond the equator.
As said in the other thread this disproves the FE theory.

- Even if there WAS a world wide conspiracy, it would only need to be conducted by very few people. No need for an army of Ice Wall guards. At this point anyone claiming the world to to be flat would automatically be labeled by society as mistaken, foolish, or 'crazy'. They'd then be summarily ignored.
False.  Many many people rely on satellite images and data.  They could not be faked fast enough.

- The Conspiracy and the pocketing of NASA's 1.6 trillion dollar net gain over the years is ingenious in retrospect, since everyone of the world already believes in a Round Earth. No one is willing to consider otherwise.
You talk about how all those companies are in on the conspiracy because they are NASA contractors.(also going against  last statement).  NASA pays them money.  How can they pocket what they pay out?  

- That's not even counting how much money the Conspiracy has made off of the Russian Space Agency.
ok dude.  Apparently you have access to classified data in Russia.  

- We are led to believe that the ancients, being the dimwits they were, believed in a Flat Earth. In reality the ancient Greeks, dating back to 2700 B.C, as well as most ancient other societies clearly believed in a Round Earth.
They weren't told by their government it was flat.  So why do you think they thought it was round.  Because of what they saw and did.  
- NASA is a fraudulent entity as evidenced by the multitudes of Apollo Moon Hoax websites. The last time I checked one out of six Americans doubted that man had ever set foot on the moon.
Got your tinfoil hat?
- I am an atheist who came to the conclusion of a Flat Earth through scientific proofs, experiments, and observations. I hold a Masters in Geology from Berkley.
So why do your opinions disprove physics and chemistry?
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

?

∂G/∂x

• All Rights Reversed
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2007, 06:52:04 PM »
Tom's opinion's disprove physics, chemistry, biology. If he tries hard enough, he can disprove human beings with his opinions. Careful, or he'll think you out of existence!

Excellent post btw, 5 stars for effort and correctitude.

Quote from: Tom Bishop
The universe has already expanded forever

Quote from: Proverbs 24:17
Rejoice not when thine enemy falleth, and let not thine heart be glad when he stumbleth.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2007, 02:38:01 AM »
If he tries hard enough, he can disprove human beings with his opinions. Careful, or he'll think you out of existence!

:o

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2007, 03:35:53 AM »
Great post, sokalur.

As for you Tom, if you don't understand what sokalur just did to you, let me rephrase it:

http://you.justgotowned.com/
RE= REALITY

FE= FAKE

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2007, 03:50:27 AM »
I think we're all being a little too harsh on Tom. I mean, I think it's fairly obvious that he isn't as smart as he tries to make out he is. He assumes that by acting like he knows what he is talking about, people will believe he does know.

My theory is he is just someone with too much time on their hands, who read a few FE books and just regurgitates what he read and hopes that people will fall for it.

Instead of having a go at him and owning him all the time, we should just encourage him to read some proper books and realise that his "arguements" for FE actually push belief more in the favour of RE.

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2007, 04:59:14 AM »
I think we're all being a little too harsh on Tom. I mean, I think it's fairly obvious that he isn't as smart as he tries to make out he is. He assumes that by acting like he knows what he is talking about, people will believe he does know.

My theory is he is just someone with too much time on their hands, who read a few FE books and just regurgitates what he read and hopes that people will fall for it.
Too harsh? That's what he gets for pretending to know stuff he doesn't. If he wants us to leave him alone, then he should stick to his degree in geology. He volunteered to stick his neck out here, so altogether I don't feel the least bit sorry when it gets chopped off.

Instead of having a go at him and owning him all the time, we should just encourage him to read some proper books and realise that his "arguements" for FE actually push belief more in the favour of RE.
Nah, I'd much rather watch him make a fool of himself. 'Tis quite entertaining, actually.
Can the FAQ...
Yes, it can.