What proof is needed?

• 21 Replies

Dilla

• Nothing Like This
What proof is needed?
« on: April 25, 2007, 09:37:17 PM »
What amount of proof would the Flat Earth posse need to be convinced that the world is indeed round?

The earth being round or flat will probably never be 'proven' as you really canít prove or disprove anything outside of abstract areas like mathematics or predicate logic. But it is safe to say that there is overwhelming observations and evidence that point to the earth being round.

So what would it take? Your own journey across antartica? Personal ride in a spaceship? The construction of a space elevator? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_elevator
Wavelength and intensity have nothing to do with frequency.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
  • GPS does not require satellites.
Re: What proof is needed?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 09:42:31 PM »
Send me to the ISS, and I will believe.

"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 10:02:11 PM »
Overwhelming evidence? Ha!

Even in Rowbotham's day, the idea of a Round Earth was as dogmatic as stone. A whirl of constantly changing fact and conjecture which were systematically brainwashed into children from the age of three. 

Here is a direct quote from Dr. Rowbotham:

"It is ... candidly admitted that there is no direct and positive evidence that the world is round, that it is only 'imagined' or assumed to be do in order to afford an explanation of 'scores of phenomena'. This is precisely the language of Copernicus, of Newton, and of all astronomers who have labored to prove the rotundity of the earth, It is pitiful to the extreme that after so many ages of almost unopposed indulgence, philosophers instead of beginning to seek, before anything else, the true constitution of the physical world, are still to be seen laboring only to frame hypotheses, and to reconcile phenomena with imaginary and ever-shifting foundations. Their labor is simply to repeat and perpetuate the self-deception of their predecessors."

Rowbotham, a notable astronomer and medical doctor, believed that Newtonian astronomy was a 'juggle and a jumble of fancies and falsehoods; an elaborate theoretical trick ' enough to make the unprejudiced observer revolt with horror from the terrible conjunction which has been practiced upon him'.

In the face of this elitist conspiracy, the only solution, Rowbotham declared, was to replace conventional science with a true and practical free-thought method. He promoted as a back-to-basics approach to knowledge, in which experiments were tried and facts were collected not only to corroborate any existing theory but to start from scratch to uncover the great universal and primary truths.

A man well ahead of his time, Rowbotham's life work and inquiry was able to predict the movements of the continents one hundred years before tectonic plate shifting was discovered. He was able to accurately and mathematically predict lunar eclipses, the tides, and a number of phenomena in his model of the Earth. He also published a book called Zetetic Astronomy which accurately explained the movements of the stars and completely rewrote Newtonian mechanics from the ground up.

Besides his honest investigation to the true shape of the earth, Rowbotham patented safety mechanisms for trains, vulcanized rubber, nutritional elixirs, and a number of other notable inventions. As a true Zetetic, Rowbotham did not simply make theories while sitting in a closet like Newton and Copernicus. Dr. Rowbotham used his wealth to sail the world in his life-long study of the earth and the cosmos.

The Flat Earth Society wasn't just a bunch of crackpots as you might have been led to believe. At one point there were thousands of Flat Earth proponents, located in all parts of the world. Businessmen, seamen, pilots, lawyers, physicists, astronomers, and even Nobel Prize winners. This continued well after the Apollo missions. There was even an entire city in America founded upon the beliefs of a Flat Earth. The Flat Earth Society even had its own dedicated 50,000 watt radio station which promoted the the flat out truth to the American public. Over its colorful 150 year history the truth of the Flat Earth spread so far and wide that today there are entire countries in Polynesia which believe in a Flat Earth.

It's all gone now, however. Since the arson of the central FES library and the gradual offing of its presidents, the society has been on a slow decline.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 09:20:40 AM by Tom Bishop »

Dilla

• Nothing Like This
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 10:32:48 PM »
Overwhelming evidence? Ha!
Maybe if you would stop regarding everything that you disagree with as part of an elaborate conspiracy you would realize this.

And you didn't answer the question.
Wavelength and intensity have nothing to do with frequency.

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 10:32:59 PM »
So, Toms response to the question of "What proof is needed" is basically-

"You can't provide it. And Newton and Copernicus were hiding-in-closet losers."

Durdan

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 07:43:54 AM »
so the fact that if you are ontop of a high building and can see the curvature of the horizon is all an optical illusion? or that ships apear to sink as they sail away is also a mirracle mirage?
my sig was too big.

I am a mason who would like to learn more. enlighten me.

i am Option 8 incarnate

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 07:44:43 AM »
so the fact that if you are ontop of a high building and can see the curvature of the horizon is all an optical illusion?

You shouldn't have said that. You going to get abuse for being an idiot.
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

Durdan

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 08:04:21 AM »
i am far from an idiot, but sure as hell know how to stir pots.

plus i can throw all the stones i want, ive broken all the windows out already in my glass house.
my sig was too big.

i am Option 8 incarnate

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 08:05:56 AM »
Erm..good for you?
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

Durdan

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2007, 08:10:54 AM »
this coming from the guy named genral gayness. haha

i find the idea fascinating. forget the original illuminati. forget the scholars. damn, forget satellits photos. forget the fact that every other planet when view viewed through telescopes are round. theyre all a series of hockey pucks that rotate on its shape, constantly causing violent, planet surface destroying earthquakes as the surface slides across its shape.

forget sunsets. the world is a flat plane that doesnt rotate, but rather oscilates on its axis giving us night and day... no that owuldnt make sense. the sun rotates around US! thats the ticket!!
my sig was too big.

i am Option 8 incarnate

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2007, 08:13:07 AM »
Learn to spell kiddo. My name is right on the page yet you still spelt it wrong. And I'm not a guy and my name has meaning you'll never understand.

And nothing you have to say is going to be new, tons of people like you turn up here spouting the same old nonsense which they believe to be amusing and to really dig at FES. Doesn't dig.

Durdan

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2007, 08:29:08 AM »
learning to spell and hauling ass typing with two fingers are two different things.

and its shameful when the only retaliation you have is to attack my spelling prowess.
my sig was too big.

i am Option 8 incarnate

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2007, 08:30:10 AM »
Pay attention, I also attacked your lack of originality m'dear.

Durdan

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2007, 08:31:39 AM »
meh... i find independence from originality in other realms of my life.

i think its customary, at least it seems so, to get the dry, often expected humor out of the way at first... then one can truly focus on his goal(s)
my sig was too big.

i am Option 8 incarnate

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2007, 08:32:37 AM »
Would help if there was some actual humour involved.

Durdan

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2007, 08:33:06 AM »
much like andy kaufman.. its funny to me.
my sig was too big.

i am Option 8 incarnate

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2007, 08:35:00 AM »
Well whatever keeps you laughing mate.

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2007, 08:47:53 AM »
This has degenerated past the level of shit.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2007, 08:48:59 AM »
This has degenerated past the level of shit.

;D always does with me around

Durdan

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2007, 08:52:04 AM »
add a dose of durdan, stir, chill... serves a forum.
my sig was too big.

i am Option 8 incarnate

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2007, 08:54:54 AM »
add a dose of durdan, stir, chill... serves a forum.

Or a challenged kid.

Durdan

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2007, 09:14:03 AM »
touche
my sig was too big.

i am Option 8 incarnate