Reclassification

• 13 Replies
?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
Reclassification
« on: March 03, 2006, 04:10:44 PM »
Recently, U.S. intelligence agencies have been reclassifying old declassified documents, says the NY Times.

According to U.S. law, all secret documents are to be declassified after 25 years.  Recently, many documents that had previously been made public are now being taken away.  The National Archives and many researchers are of course in an uproar over this.  For some headlines, see

NY Times 1
NY Times 2
NY Times 3

The Times reported that most the reclassified documents were not of a particular sensitive nature, and that they mostly described "ancient history" in the political arena -- events and ideas that had occurred in the 50s, for example.

Why would the government recall all these documents?  Well, suppose you were a toy company that sold dolls, and it turned out that one of the million dolls you sold last year had, say, evidence of fraud at the highest levels of the corporate hierarchy stuffed inside.  Or a bomb, or something.  You would never issue a message saying, "Would the person who bought the doll with the incriminating evidence please return their doll with all its contents?  Thankyou."  No.  They would make some fuss about how the fiber they used caused a minor allergic reaction -- a rash, nothing more -- in 0.1% of children who played with the dolls, and so all the dolls need to be recalled.  They would seem a little silly, but nobody would bother looking inside to see what's really going on.

"Overkill" is a standard tactic in political games.  Make lots of noise, and nobody will notice what you're whispering.

I suggest that maybe, the large-scale recall is intended to mask the recovery of a few accidentally-declassified items of great sensitivity.

Would anyone else care to speculate?

-Erasmus
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

?

Anonymous

Reclassification
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2006, 07:18:51 PM »
I suggest that maybe, the large-scale recall is intended to mask the recovery of a few accidentally-declassified items of great sensitivity.

Interesting... without further knowledge I'd say that there's a chance you're correct.  At least it sounds like a plausible theory.

Reclassification
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 02:17:45 PM »
Hi
I am not qualified to judge but as far as "ancient history" is concerned if I remember correctly the "Cold War" was escalating at an alarming rate in the 1950's.
Gran

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
Reclassification
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 04:33:21 PM »
Quote from: "gran the man"
Hi I am not qualified to judge but as far as "ancient history" is concerned if I remember correctly the "Cold War" was escalating at an alarming rate in the 1950's.

Yeah, that's a pretty long time ago.  Not geologically, but politically.  The fact that the U.S., for example, planned to float balloons over Soviet cities in the 50s to drop propaganda pamphlets can hardly be considered germane to the issues of today.  As I'm sure you've noticed, the geopolitical situation has changed quite a bit since then.

In any case, for the purposes of classification, 25 years is considered distant enough in the past that whatever the documents may have contained, it's not important to keep it secret anymore.

-Erasmus

Reclassification
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 07:37:55 PM »
Hi
So why withdraw them or am I missing the point?
Gran

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
Reclassification
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 07:48:31 PM »
Hi
So why withdraw them or am I missing the point?
Gran

The point is, nobody knows why they were reclassified.  It's a mystery!

Reclassification
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2006, 11:29:37 AM »
Hi
Pure speculation but someone in authority may have suddenly spotted something which when analysed could implicate the "Dirty Tricks Brigade" or others or lead to general embarrassment. Another more cinical reason could that a government official in a sinecure job suddenly had an attack of conscience and felt it high time he/she did something to justify his/her position
Gran

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
Reclassification
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2006, 02:22:02 AM »
Hi
Pure speculation but someone in authority may have suddenly spotted something which when analysed could implicate the "Dirty Tricks Brigade" or others or lead to general embarrassment. Another more cinical reason could that a government official in a sinecure job suddenly had an attack of conscience and felt it high time he/she did something to justify his/her position
Gran

Both of your suggestions seem pretty plausible to me.

Reclassification
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2006, 06:42:35 AM »
Hi
It's suddenly dawned on me that your initial sentence contained the words "US Intelligence Agencies" which is surely a contradition of terms so there is the answer
Gran

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
Reclassification
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2006, 05:32:54 PM »
Hi
It's suddenly dawned on me that your initial sentence contained the words "US Intelligence Agencies" which is surely a contradition of terms so there is the answer
Gran

Hilarious!  Did you think of that joke all by yourself?

?

joffenz

• The Elder Ones
Reclassification
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2006, 08:08:09 AM »
That's quite an old oxymoron...like Military Intelligence...or Microsoft Works...etc.

?

Chaltier

• The Elder Ones
Reclassification
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2006, 12:41:51 PM »
Quote from: "cheesejoff"
...oxymoron...like...Microsoft Works...

Still as true as the day it was thought up, though. :P

--Chal

Reclassification
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2006, 03:47:02 PM »
Hi
The old ones are the best - such as
Baby polar bear " Dad am I a Polar Bear?"
Dad "Yes son"
Baby Polar Bear "But Dad am I really a Polar Bear?"
Dad "Of course son that's why you have that thick white coat. Why do you ask?"
Baby Polar Bear "Cause I'm fucking cold"
Gran

Re: Reclassification
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2008, 11:07:15 AM »
Hi
The old ones are the best - such as
Baby polar bear " Dad am I a Polar Bear?"
Dad "Yes son"
Baby Polar Bear "But Dad am I really a Polar Bear?"
Dad "Of course son that's why you have that thick white coat. Why do you ask?"
Baby Polar Bear "Cause I'm fucking cold"
Gran

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

This joke is fucking hilarious!

Discuss.
"An honest god is the noblest work of man. ... God has always resembled his creators. He hated and loved what they hated and loved and he was invariably found on the side of those in power." - Robert G. Ingersoll

http://theflatearthsociety.me