Foucault Pendulum

• 101 Replies
Foucault Pendulum
« on: April 15, 2007, 12:48:40 PM »
No one has yet explained to me why Foucault pendulums swing in opposite directions in opposite hemispheres.

Also, no one has explained to me why Foucault pendulums swing in a complete circle at the poles but onjly swing in one direction at the equator.
It's quite remarkable really that both Israel and Palestine have no qualms about slaughtering the crap out of each other - but they are perfectly willing to work together jovially and hide a secret that wouldn't make much difference to the world. -rdethgy

Re: Foucault Pendulum
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2007, 01:23:08 PM »
No one has yet explained to me why Foucault pendulums swing in opposite directions in opposite hemispheres.

Also, no one has explained to me why Foucault pendulums swing in a complete circle at the poles but onjly swing in one direction at the equator.

a CoNsPiRaCy!!!111!!11!11

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2007, 03:27:00 PM »
To be technical the one I saw in France swung 280 degrees or something like that.  Not a full circle in one day. 
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

CommonCents

• ^_^
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 03:30:04 PM »
Tom said it spins because the Earth is rotating, but that doesn't account for the opposite spin south of the equator or the lack of spin at the equator. 
Franc (by the way what happened to him) said wind
OMG!

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 03:36:29 PM »
Tom said it spins because the Earth is rotating, but that doesn't account for the opposite spin south of the equator or the lack of spin at the equator. 
Franc (by the way what happened to him) said wind

They'll probably say, "You have no evidence."  And what did happen to Franc?

CommonCents

• ^_^
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2007, 03:39:33 PM »
Maybe he got tired of being a moron.
OMG!

?

∂G/∂x

• All Rights Reversed
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2007, 03:40:39 PM »
I expect his dad turned off his computer and he couldn't work out how to make it work again...
Quote from: Tom Bishop
The universe has already expanded forever

Quote from: Proverbs 24:17
Rejoice not when thine enemy falleth, and let not thine heart be glad when he stumbleth.

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2007, 03:43:43 PM »
Haha.  I wonder what he was thinking when he said that wind was the cause of the rotation.  Has he ever done anything to do with science?  What scientist wouldn't factor out wind.... like come on, that was just such a stupid comment.  Maybe he was grounded from FES for being so stupid.

?

∂G/∂x

• All Rights Reversed
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2007, 03:44:53 PM »
In the FES the kind of blind stupidity he has would get him a promotion. He's probably running the whole show now. Hail Lord Franc! Planars unite!

Rejoice not when thine enemy falleth, and let not thine heart be glad when he stumbleth.

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2007, 03:50:34 PM »
To be technical the one I saw in France swung 280 degrees or something like that.  Not a full circle in one day. 
That's exactly what is supposed to happen. At the poles, the pendulums swings 360 degrees because the earth is rotating under it, and at the equator it swings nil because it is swinging with the earth's rotation. Everywhere in between, the pendulum will swing somewhere between 0 degrees and 360 degrees depending on its position relative to the equator/poles.

That is perfect proof of the Foucault pendulum.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 03:58:58 PM by Big N »
It's quite remarkable really that both Israel and Palestine have no qualms about slaughtering the crap out of each other - but they are perfectly willing to work together jovially and hide a secret that wouldn't make much difference to the world. -rdethgy

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2007, 03:53:17 PM »
It's comments like those from Gin and EIRD that make threads spiral off into mindless conversations about crap. This is the third time I've posted the Foucault pendulum argument, because all the other ones spiraled off into mindless chatter. Please stop with the stupid comments, and keep this thread on topic. It's not that hard.

?

∂G/∂x

• All Rights Reversed
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2007, 03:57:24 PM »
My bad  :( it's just so tempting to talk about Franc. As far as I can see the Foucault Pendulum argument is not flawed, and I haven't seen a decent FE rebuttal yet....

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2007, 03:59:29 PM »
It's comments like those from Gin and EIRD that make threads spiral off into mindless conversations about crap. This is the third time I've posted the Foucault pendulum argument, because all the other ones spiraled off into mindless chatter. Please stop with the stupid comments, and keep this thread on topic. It's not that hard.
Probably because 99/100 people on this forum think its a waste of bandwidth. 
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2007, 04:16:39 PM »
Just read the wikipedia articles on the Foucault Pendulum and the Coriolis effect. It's basically because if you're looking down on the North Pole, the earth is rotating counter-clockwise, whereas if you're looking down on the South Pole, it's rotating clockwise.
The earth isn't flat...it's "spherically challenged".

?

koji

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2007, 04:26:52 PM »
mikedar, we know exactly why it rotates in opposite directions at opposite poles. the question is how that is possible on FE.
"i am in shape. round is a shape."
-the Earth

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2007, 04:41:17 PM »
Oh, right, I got confused there for a second and thought he was curious about how they operated in RE.

?

Tom Bishop

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2007, 04:53:36 PM »
I've always held that the opposite swinging motion in the Southern Hemisphere was an old wives tale. It simply does not happen. Léon Foucault never traveled to the Southern Hemisphere to test his hypothesis of a backwards spinning pendulum.

Maybe you guys should take a trip to the Southern Hemisphere and build a Foucault Pendulum to prove Foucault correct.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 04:57:19 PM by Tom Bishop »

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2007, 04:55:13 PM »
Although they did set up a Foucault Pendulum at the South Pole itself, all you need to be is south of the equator to verify that it will spin in the opposite direction.

I think they might have noticed if it was spinning the wrong way.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 05:01:25 PM by mikedar »

?

koji

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2007, 04:59:11 PM »
here is a list of foucault's pendula in the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Foucault_pendula

ignore the one in at the south pole if you wish, it could be a conspiracy. but there are plenty in the southern hemisphere, in australian and argentinian universities, etc
-the Earth

?

Tom Bishop

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2007, 05:00:43 PM »
There are five Foucault Pendulums in Australia according to that list. Two in Argentina.

That list doesn't say which way they turn, merely that they exist or have once existed.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 05:09:48 PM by Tom Bishop »

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2007, 05:03:27 PM »
Ok, fine, the pendula go unchecked in all of the southern locations. What about the fact that cyclones in the northern and southern hemisphere rotate in opposite directions?
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 05:10:14 PM by mikedar »

?

koji

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2007, 05:04:02 PM »
yes but most people are of the opinion that it spins in opposite directions in the southern hemisphere. don't you think that most of the southern hemisphere universities would tend to disagree if they were noticing the opposite effect? unless they are all in on the conspiracy...
-the Earth

?

Game_Guru777

• Truth knows no bounds...
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2007, 05:12:54 PM »
That's a lot of people to pay off... and what if they dont accept the governments money. Thats what I dont get. Not everyone would accept a bribe. The truth would get out... quick question; Have they tried to pay off you Tom?
Hold it!!! Your statement directly contradicts the evidence.

Objection!!! Your claims make no sense! Think about what you are going to say before you say it!

Evidence is everything...

?

∂G/∂x

• All Rights Reversed
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2007, 05:13:15 PM »
Indeed. Textbooks and other sources would list the pendula as swinging in different directions for northern and southern hemispheres, and surely the southern hemisphere universities would notice this and alert people to this discrepancy. If you're going to buy them off with conspiracy, the cost just went up (again). That's professors, students and anyone else who looks at it. The whole of flat earth is painfully north-centric (not surprisingly as FE theory was invented in the UK and USA).

So, are the southerners liars, conspirators or fools?

CommonCents

• ^_^
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2007, 05:14:29 PM »
There's only one person at each of the Southern Hemisphere Universities who needs to be paid off.  He's the guy who rigs the pendulum to rotate the opposite way.
OMG!

?

∂G/∂x

• All Rights Reversed
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2007, 05:24:22 PM »
How does that work exactly? And what about amateurs building their own pendulums. High schools might do this, as might individual households. If  the pendulum is anything like the (quite large) one at the London Science Museum, the mechanism is open to public view and would be almost impossible to 'rig'.

(If you were being sarcastic then excuse the seriousness of my response, but I don't want FEers hijacking that argument and riding it into the ground)

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2007, 05:26:22 PM »
Well, some of them are kept swinging by motors, but you're right, there are way too many to keep track of.

Maybe the southern hemisphere doesn't exist at all.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 05:32:48 PM by mikedar »

CommonCents

• ^_^
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2007, 05:27:13 PM »
There you go.  How can you have a hemisphere on a plane?  You can't, thank you bye now. :)
OMG!

?

koji

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2007, 05:29:53 PM »
Well, some of them are kept rotating by motors, but you're right, there are way too many to keep track of.

Maybe the southern hemisphere doesn't exist at all.

there not kept "rotating" by motors, that would defeat the entire purpose. they're kept swinging electrically so that the pendulum doesn't stop because of air resistance...
-the Earth

?

∂G/∂x

• All Rights Reversed
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2007, 05:31:24 PM »
Hmmm. So the southern hemiplane it is....and still no answers...