Re: Foucault Pendulum
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2007, 06:55:45 PM »
Oh noes, they're on to me! *runs away and hides*
OMG!

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2007, 07:05:05 PM »
You guy know you can just use a globe to see what why the pendulum seems to turn since it actually does turn.  I will in a while if no one else does. 
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

?

koji

« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2007, 07:07:07 PM »
lol we've all pictured it in our heads or seen the internet animations and know exactly why it works, as well as exactly why it's opposite in the southern hemisphere. tom just can't seem to accept the idea, and appears to have run away since i asked him for scientific reasoning, not ad hominem attacks and the denial of well-documented phenomenons.
"i am in shape. round is a shape."
-the Earth

?

∂G/∂x

• All Rights Reversed
« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2007, 07:08:44 PM »
Quote from: Tom Bishop
The universe has already expanded forever

Quote from: Proverbs 24:17
Rejoice not when thine enemy falleth, and let not thine heart be glad when he stumbleth.

?

Tom Bishop

« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2007, 07:18:28 PM »
I still deny that the pendulum would turn in a counter-clockwise direction over the surface of the Earth. The author writes authoritatively, taking his information directly from books and articles. Under no pretense does he give a quantitative or experimental analysis of which direction the pendulum turns, or which factors might affect it.

The "video" he provides does not give a direction of the pendulum. It is unclear which of the animations came first. It is likely that he found them on the internet like his other animations and slapped it together, switching around the animations to correspond with his hemisphere.

Samuel Birley Rowbotham points out the several flaws with the Foucault Pendulum at different latitudes in Chapter 14, Section 21 of Earth Not a Globe. I suggest you study it for further reference. One of the amazingly big flaws he found was that the pendulum does not always rotate in the same direction on each test run.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 07:24:31 PM by Tom Bishop »

CommonCents

• ^_^
« Reply #65 on: April 15, 2007, 07:23:33 PM »
God, I hate reading that damn page.  All the tiny text makes me want to gouge my eyes out.  Is this your only source of the pendulum rotating in wrong ways?  I say that this experiment has been repeated numerous times, and just because some crackpot said that it didn't work a couple times doesn't mean it doesn't work.
OMG!

?

koji

« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2007, 07:24:26 PM »
...that wasn't scientific...

and before i completely trust Rowbotham's scientific experiments, i would like to remind you that he was conducting them with a specific goal in mind as to what results he wanted to find. i remind you of the "bedford level experiment" in which he thought he had proved a flat earth, only to have the experiment redone, proving a round earth, and seeing co-flat-earther john hampden imprisoned for libel.

of the hundreds of foucault's pendula in the world, many at universities, rowbotham is the first i have heard of, well over 100 years ago, to ever suggest its findings were flawed.
"i am in shape. round is a shape."
-the Earth

?

∂G/∂x

• All Rights Reversed
« Reply #67 on: April 15, 2007, 07:30:56 PM »
t's likely that he found them on the internet like his other animations and slapped it together, switching around the animations fro his latitude.

There is NO REASON to believe this, except its disagreement with your theories. You succeeded only in doing what we all expected you to do: Attack perfectly adequate source and throw the book at us. Here's a news flash: Samuel Rowbotham was wrong. When a member of the scientific community conducts a faulted experiment he is checked and ultimately discredited by the community of scientists at large. This has happened many times and Rowbotham is just one in a long line. No even vaguely mainstream scientist today supports his theories, or any others that suggest the earth is flat. And it's not because their universities and societies have been feeding them lies all their lives, because if you guys are right a lot of these guys (astronomers, anyone that does work involving gravity caused by mass, those who study the suns rays, antarctic climatologists to name a few) are seriously wasting their lives, and falsifying results and still not getting rich. Get real. Rowbotham is dead, and his theories have only outlived him due to the blind ignorance of people like you.

Rejoice not when thine enemy falleth, and let not thine heart be glad when he stumbleth.

« Reply #68 on: April 15, 2007, 07:31:25 PM »
The experimenter gives you the exact results of the experiment: "One hour later, the amplitude of the swing has diminished, and the plane has precessed about 9 degrees in the anti-clockwise direction (Sydney is in the Southern hemisphere). We clearly see the pendulum crossing the reference plane."

Edit: The 9 degrees agrees very well with M. Foucault's formula

angle = -2(pi) sin (latitude)   
The latitude of Sydney is -33.88, therefore the angle for one day is approx. 200 degrees.

For one hour, this gives 8.3 degrees of rotation.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 07:37:40 PM by mikedar »
The earth isn't flat...it's "spherically challenged".

CommonCents

• ^_^
« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2007, 07:32:54 PM »
Damn, Gin......damn

EDIT:  I felt that one from here....it burns.
OMG!

« Reply #70 on: April 15, 2007, 07:50:48 PM »
Let me run down my checklist...
A. Tom failed to answer an REers question himself.
    Check.
B. Tom threw the Crypt Keeper's book at us.
    Check.
C. The thrown section of the Crypt Keeper's book failed to even apply to the question.
    Check.
D. Tom asks for references...and completely ignores them when provided.
    Check.

Wow! All for criteria are met. Time to...UP THE OWNAGE COUNT!
Can the FAQ...
Yes, it can.

CommonCents

• ^_^
« Reply #71 on: April 15, 2007, 07:52:48 PM »
I'm tellin you agent...That's gota turn into a PWND count...I say at 10.
OMG!

?

∂G/∂x

• All Rights Reversed
« Reply #72 on: April 15, 2007, 07:55:17 PM »
*Has calmed down*

I agree on the PWNED count. If I could be bothered I'd keep a 'Rowbotham mentions' count. It'd probably take too long....

?

Tom Bishop

« Reply #73 on: April 15, 2007, 08:02:48 PM »
I plan on making a future thread providing a thorough dissection of all factors besides the rotation of the earth that could be affecting the pendulum at the different latitudes of the earth.

There is NO REASON to believe this

I must direct you all to the glaring inconsistencies on that page. If any of you have ever been to Australia, or have any Australian friends, you will notice that all maps and visualizations of the Globe from that part of the region are upside-down. On my last visit to Australia it was a breathtaking sight to see the continents of the world portrayed upside down with the words right side up. Without fail the entire country of Australia, as well as all other Southern Hemisphere countries turn over the entire world in order to place themselves on top and front featured.

This cultural pride is so vast that each elementary school in Australia has its globes positioned with the South Pole at the top of the world. Every single map of the world in Australia is upside down from what Northern folks know.

Go back to that page describing the southern pendulum and notice how each portrayal of the world has North America on top. The bullets of the page, the animations of the Foucault Pendulum all portray the world from a North Hemisphere perspective. It is immediately obvious that the author just took his images from internet sources and that they were not animated from within the Australian school.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 08:48:51 PM by Tom Bishop »

CommonCents

• ^_^
« Reply #74 on: April 15, 2007, 08:04:31 PM »
Or, maybe he was doing it that way because...he chose to?  People have this thing called free will which lets them do pretty much what they want.  It's quite fascinating.
OMG!

?

Tom Bishop

« Reply #75 on: April 15, 2007, 08:06:58 PM »
Or, maybe he was doing it that way because...he chose to?  People have this thing called free will which lets them do pretty much what they want.  It's quite fascinating.

Would any illustrator in North America draw the earth with the southern pole at the top? NO.

Likewise, no Australian illustrator would draw the world with the North Pole at the top.

CommonCents

• ^_^
« Reply #76 on: April 15, 2007, 08:08:34 PM »
You don't know that for sure.  You're making assumptions.  You can draw the N or S poles wherever the hell you please, as long as you keep everything correct in respect to them, the world still turns out the right way.  That's the magic of an almost spherical shape.
OMG!

« Reply #77 on: April 15, 2007, 08:09:32 PM »

Would any illustrator in North America draw the earth with the southern pole at the top? NO.

Likewise, no Australian illustrator would draw the world with the North Pole at the top.

Now that's just a plain old lie. See, the nice thing about the internet, is that you can see things from all over the world. Go to any image search engine, and type in "Australia". Tell me how many upside-down images you get. No photoshopping, i have to see the original URL.

CommonCents

• ^_^
« Reply #78 on: April 15, 2007, 08:11:00 PM »
Don't you love watching shit spew form Tom's mouth?  It's like a waterfall sometimes.
OMG!

« Reply #79 on: April 15, 2007, 08:11:41 PM »
His creativity impresses me quite a lot.

CommonCents

• ^_^
« Reply #80 on: April 15, 2007, 08:13:12 PM »
His creativity impresses me quite a lot.
The problem is creativity != science.

I have a theory about Tom:

Tom doesn't know science, but he knows what he likes!
OMG!

?

∂G/∂x

• All Rights Reversed
« Reply #81 on: April 15, 2007, 08:13:25 PM »
Tom you're wrong again. The only northern-hemisphere-upwards image is the one of the rotating earth, which he did no doubt take from somewhere else as it's not too easy to create. That wasn't the experimental evidence though, just a demonstration of the theory. WHY would someone intentionally lie on a small school-based website? Where's the motivation? Why can't you accept there isn't a living scientist who agrees with you and your theory is less scientific than 'Young Earth Creationism' (and that theory is pretty screwed up).

And Australians don't draw their maps the other way. I've only seen that once and that was a joke souvenir map that was sold to tourists my dad brought back from Australia. Don't make yourself look sillier than you already are.

« Reply #82 on: April 15, 2007, 08:14:51 PM »
Yeah, I was just going to say that, Gin. I searched for upside down maps, and the only thing that comes up are novelty maps.

CommonCents

• ^_^
« Reply #83 on: April 15, 2007, 08:15:33 PM »
I didn't bother because I could smell the shit he was spewing...Tom's a troll who somehow became a mod.
OMG!

?

Tom Bishop

« Reply #84 on: April 15, 2007, 08:16:54 PM »
Now that's just a plain old lie. See, the nice thing about the internet, is that you can see things from all over the world. Go to any image search engine, and type in "Australia". Tell me how many upside-down images you get. No photoshopping, i have to see the original URL.

Those are all Northern Hemisphere representations of Australia. It should be obvious that Northern Hemisphere countries make up the vast vast majority of the internet. The presence of Australia on the internet is amazingly small.

We actually have a moderator on this very forum who lives in Australia. To him the portrayal of our Australia is entirely odd. Growing up he has been conditioned to look at Australia positioned in a completely different direction.

This is what an Australian map of the world looks like in an Australian classroom.

See this page for evidence that Australian maps are upside down: http://flourish.org/upsidedownmap/
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 08:30:12 PM by Tom Bishop »

?

∂G/∂x

• All Rights Reversed
« Reply #85 on: April 15, 2007, 08:19:28 PM »
Irrelevant. You obviously didn't read my post. There is only one North-up map on his site, which he obviously took from someone else but it doesn't form part of the experimental data.

« Reply #86 on: April 15, 2007, 08:22:12 PM »
From the very site you got your picture from, it tells you near the bottom that Australian maps are Pacific centred. Yes, SOME are upside down, but definitely not all.

Direct quote: "Australia: Maps are pacific centred. [ Source: Mail from Rev. ]"

CommonCents

• ^_^
« Reply #87 on: April 15, 2007, 08:24:52 PM »
How's this Tom, People can still navigate from an upside down map, yet according to FE they wouldn't be able to....
OMG!

?

Tom Bishop

« Reply #88 on: April 15, 2007, 08:25:42 PM »
Irrelevant. You obviously didn't read my post. There is only one North-up map on his site, which he obviously took from someone else but it doesn't form part of the experimental data.

I have provided clear and indisputable proof that the author is taking his animations from outside sources which he does not quote or give proper credit to. It takes no large stretch of the imagination to see that he is taking his other images and information directly from outside sources as well.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2007, 08:29:35 PM by Tom Bishop »

?

∂G/∂x

• All Rights Reversed
« Reply #89 on: April 15, 2007, 08:28:39 PM »
Imagination. And no, you're wrong. The ONE animation he PROBABLY took from an outside source was an illustrative diagram of his theory, he never claimed it was his own work or that is was evidence of the functioning of the Foucault pendulum. Don't be ridiculous.