Magnetotaxic Bacteria as evidence for a RE

• 21 Replies
Magnetotaxic Bacteria as evidence for a RE
« on: April 11, 2007, 06:30:24 PM »
Hello, ok so magnetotaxic bacteria are bacteria that move along magnetic field lines, and have been heavily studied.
How does this relate to the Earth being round? Well in the northern hemisphere the MTBs (magnetotaxic bacteria) swim along magnetic field lines towards the north end, and the ones in the southern do the opposite.  In the wild this locates them along the bottom edges of lakes facing the pole, this can only be explained by the inclination of a round earth.  If the earth were flat and they were swimming towards a fixed pole, then they would not concentrate downwards, but would just concentrate all along one side of a lake.

?

∂G/∂x

• All Rights Reversed
Re: Magnetotaxic Bacteria as evidence for a RE
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 06:46:56 PM »
Conspirator! Read the FAQ. I know theres nothing about Magnetotaxic bacteria in there, but that's because your argument is valid. Valid arguments belong out there! *points towards the light outside*
Quote from: Tom Bishop
The universe has already expanded forever

Quote from: Proverbs 24:17
Rejoice not when thine enemy falleth, and let not thine heart be glad when he stumbleth.

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 09:34:34 AM »
I wish someone would atleast try to prove me wrong T_T. bump :D

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
  • GPS does not require satellites.
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 09:53:18 AM »
I don't see how this conflicts with the FE.

"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 10:15:33 AM »
I wish I could draw a diagram, but anyway.  Since the bacteria move directly towards the poles, and since the earth curves.  A straight line towards the pole from any point goes through the ground.  So, the fact that the bacteria orient themselves downward and towards poles implies that the earth curves and is round.

?

DakaSha

• I'm so obviously gay
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 10:22:16 AM »
yeah but so does the horizon :P

I know the waterfalls shadow is wrong. Eat a dick you fuckin know-it-all :P
A Genius: PBF

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 01:14:40 PM »
I wish I could draw a diagram, but anyway.  Since the bacteria move directly towards the poles, and since the earth curves.  A straight line towards the pole from any point goes through the ground.  So, the fact that the bacteria orient themselves downward and towards poles implies that the earth curves and is round.
The poles are underground in the FE, also.

-- Bob Hudson

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 02:50:02 PM »
Yes, but the positions of the bacteria would be different on a flat earth.  On a round Earth, as you move along a constant latitude the angle which the bacteria swim at is relatively constant, as the distance from the bacteria to the core of the earth, and from the bacteria to the pole is constant.  Now on a flat earth, assuming that these underground poles are at a constant fixed point.  As you moved along the same latitude the angle which the bacteria swim at would change since the distance from the bacteria to the underground pole would change.  This would result in a smaller and smaller angle as you moved away from the pole, thus the bacteria would no longer be orienting themselves downward, however the bacteria do so there.  I hope this all made sense it would be easier with diagrams >.<

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2007, 05:56:59 PM »
I thought you said they align themselves with the field lines?  Now they point at the core?  How do they know where it is?

-- Bob Hudson

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2007, 06:06:39 PM »
I was just using the core of the earth as a point of a large triangle to show that as you move along a latitude the distance to the pole stays constant, as well as the distance to the core, so the angle is constant.  In a flat earth the angle would get smaller and then the bacteria at the extremes of the flat earth would increasingly be more directed towards the surface, but they aren't.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2007, 08:12:09 PM »
The angle would be getting greater the closer to the pole you get.  Same as RE, and FE.

-- Bob Hudson

?

sheepofdarkness

• Flat Earth Proponent
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2007, 10:07:49 PM »
If FE theory can explain compass needles, then it can explain magnetotaxic bacteria.  There's really no difference.  Basically FE theory rearranges the magnetic poles so that the magnetic field lines are exactly the same as those on a hypothetical RE.
I dream of vampires. I dream of God. I dream of no vampires. I dream of no God. I dream of nothing. And yet, that too is still my dream.

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2007, 08:09:09 AM »
It's a good argument seeing as I've yet to see how the flat Earth's magnetic field would work.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2007, 08:09:59 AM »
It's a good argument seeing as I've yet to see how the flat Earth's magnetic field would work.
Just like it does on the RE.

-- Bob Hudson

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2007, 08:13:31 AM »
Impossible, the field would have to be denser in the middle than at the edges.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2007, 09:03:52 AM »
Yep.

-- Bob Hudson

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2007, 09:07:01 AM »
Which means at the south pole the field is way, way less dense than at the north pole. Which it isn't.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2007, 09:09:10 AM »
No, the field is the same at the poles.

-- Bob Hudson

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2007, 09:23:38 AM »
Well your knowledge of magnetic fields is better than mine so you'll have to explain because I don't understand it.

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2007, 05:30:52 PM »
The angle would be getting greater the closer to the pole you get.  Same as RE, and FE.

Closer to the pole is longitude, along a latidunal line, such as the equator the angle would stay the same on a round earth, but on a flat earth it would get smaller.

?

TheOtherTom

• There is no tom but Tom, and I am his prophet.
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2007, 08:08:10 PM »
Perhaps from millions of years of magnetic field lines passing through it, the ice wall itself acquired a magnetic charge.  That is, the part of the ice wall above the earth became a south pole, and the part below the earth became a north pole.  And there is no reason to suppose the ice wall does not extend below the surface of flat earth.
Till human voices wake us...

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2007, 11:57:51 PM »

Closer to the pole is longitude, along a latidunal line, such as the equator the angle would stay the same on a round earth, but on a flat earth it would get smaller.
Why would the equator get closer to the pole on the FE?

-- Bob Hudson