Gin: thanks.

Re: The liquid earth
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2007, 02:24:52 PM »
ah thats why you used the other photo!!

Midnight

• RE/FE Apathetic.
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2007, 02:24:56 PM »
My problem with his ideas is that it is a ridiculous thing.

Genius. PURE, undiluted genius.

« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2007, 02:26:06 PM »

Gin: thanks.

So, these pics are actually you?
Best SNL skit ever: " class="bbc_link" target="_blank">

I predict Michale Crichton's next book will be based on the Flat Earth Society.

Midnight

• RE/FE Apathetic.
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2007, 02:26:51 PM »
Wait until MIB III
My problem with his ideas is that it is a ridiculous thing.

Genius. PURE, undiluted genius.

« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2007, 02:28:55 PM »
oh dear, your being picked on again and in my forum, again. anyway. i'm off now but i'm sure i'll see most of you lot on here again somtime.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
  • GPS does not require satellites.
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2007, 06:20:56 PM »
Lets not get hung up on the speed of light.

Young Einstein was unlucky enough to have been around at a time when flat earth theory was yet to be fully completed; but to use his thinkings to show how an object may accelerate forever:

While working on his theory of relativity, Einstein conducted mind experiments, imagine driving at 60 miles an hour beside a train which is also travelling at 60 miles an hour in the same direction, the train would appear stationary. Now imagine catching a light beam and riding it along in the same direction as another light beam, that light beam would appear stationary too. The objective speed of anything is relative to your perspective on it so that speed of light on earth need only stay 300 000 000ms beyond the speed of the earth and we would never reach it.

In short, the speed of light is also accelerating at a constant speed of 9.8mss.
Dumbest post of the day.  Congratulations.

"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2007, 06:24:01 PM »
ahh yes, that rule. 
this also means that an infinite force IS needed.
faster than the speed of light = infinate Mass
infinate mass= infinate force

i was right eddy.
Another person who thinks that Einstein's only contribution is E=mc^2.  There is much, much more to Relativity than that.  Einstein's equations show that an object undergoing constant acceleration will never reach the speed of light. 

And what is this massive force squashing the earth everyone keeps talking about?

-- Bob Hudson

?

∂G/∂x

• All Rights Reversed
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2007, 07:11:08 PM »
The question is, what is the massive force pushing the Earth? And it must be pushing the stars, sun and moon as well.

I don't personally own an inexhaustable source of energy....might reduce my electricity bill if I did. If it's just 13 km thick (the Kola Superdeep Borehole was 12.262km deep) there is at least 6.5 billion cubic kilometres of rock in the flat earth. Doing some more calculations using the average density of basalt as a guide to rock weight we get a very conservative estimate for a flat earth weighing

19,500,000,000,000,000,000 tonnes
Meaning a force of 191,100,000,000,000,000,000 kN would be needed to provide its stated acceleration. That's a big force to attribute to 'unknown source'. On a Round Earth the forces are all accounted for, using gravitation related to the mass of the Earth and whatnot....as a scientific model it is pretty solid, especially when compared to a model with a big empty hole where a 191,100,000,000,000,000,000 kN force should be...

Edit: The Round Earth does, by the way, weigh a lot more than that. Just enough to give it 9.8m/s/s of graviational force at sea level in fact...but then what does a huge mass matter when you're not trying to accelerate it?
Quote from: Tom Bishop
The universe has already expanded forever

Quote from: Proverbs 24:17
Rejoice not when thine enemy falleth, and let not thine heart be glad when he stumbleth.

Agent_0042

• What has two thumbs and likes to rape?
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2007, 07:24:21 PM »
Off Topic
I had one of these thought experiments regarding moving gasses. We are taught that a moving gas experiences less pressure than that of a gas at rest.

Traveling down the highway, you roll down your window. Which side of the window has the lower pressure? I've been thinking about this for days, and I would love a simple answer.

If you've ever had loose papers in your car, even if they're in the back seat, they will more than likely be sucked towards the window. Therefore the pressure is lower outside of your car. Trust me, this happened to me on the way to work...all of those tests...
Can the FAQ...
Yes, it can.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2007, 07:31:17 PM »
That's a big force to attribute to 'unknown source'.
So is your precious "gravity."  Causing the constant acceleration of the RE for billions of years, seemingly without expending any energy in doing so.

-- Bob Hudson

?

∂G/∂x

• All Rights Reversed
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2007, 07:34:36 PM »
Gravitation is attributed to the curvature of spacetime, which is caused by, amongst other things, mass. 'Gravity' is no longer an accepted concept in physics as I'm sure you know. Besides, there being a fundamental force the source of which is unknown is not so unusual. Whats wierd about FE theory is that there is this giant pushing force for some reason only acting on us....if gravitation due to mass is mysterious, at least it is the same mysteriousness everywhere. Einstein said mass curves spacetime, as does acceleration. In fact, any high density of energy will do this. As mass and energy are equivalent, the generalisation is not difficult.

Edit: The RE is accelerating? As far as I know it's orbiting the sun at pretty constant velocity....

Rejoice not when thine enemy falleth, and let not thine heart be glad when he stumbleth.

?

∂G/∂x

• All Rights Reversed
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2007, 07:42:23 PM »
Your discomfort with the gravitation of mass seems to originate from its apparent giving away of energy for free, but this isn't the case. In an isolated system energy is not created or destroyed, and when gravitation due to mass is included this rule is not violated. It is impossible to 'steal' energy from the system in any way, so why is it so difficult to live with? We don't really know where electromagnetism comes from per se, but you seem fine with that....

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2007, 08:20:22 PM »
Edit: The RE is accelerating? As far as I know it's orbiting the sun at pretty constant velocity....
Constant velocity?  Hardly.

-- Bob Hudson

?

∂G/∂x

• All Rights Reversed
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2007, 08:24:34 PM »
I know that in a rotating system we are accelerating constantly towards the centre of rotation, is this what you refer to? The sun's gravitation (large mass, curving space etc) is causing this. Is there another acceleration I've missed?

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2007, 08:26:12 PM »
You said that the RE didn't accelerate and maintained a constant velocity.  I was simply pointing out this was incorrect.

-- Bob Hudson

?

∂G/∂x

• All Rights Reversed
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2007, 08:28:41 PM »
Fair enough, I'm just asking if that particular acceleration is the one you meant, or if I was incorrect in an exciting new way I haven't thought of...

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2007, 08:39:13 PM »
Just pointing out that acceleration and velocity are vectors.  Change your direction, change your velocity and your acceleration.

-- Bob Hudson