Poll

Did the school have a right to suspend the student?

Yes
12 (42.9%)
No
16 (57.1%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Student suspended for wearing pirate regalia

• 141 Replies
Re: Student suspended for wearing pirate regalia
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2007, 06:13:22 PM »
@Eviltoothpaste:

We probably both would appreciate more a Socratic or Platonic system of education then.

I do not agree with the public education system.  But that is the system in which this event occurred.  That system has rules.  If we were to question those rules, we would need another thread and another discussion.  However, this thread and this discussion must operate within those rules, for the following reason:

The student is enrolled in a public school.  Upon entering, he is bound by their rules.  He has the right NOT to attend a public school and be bound to those rules.  If he is a minor, then his parents have authority over him.  Either way, he is attending this institution, and is therefore draining it's resources.  He has a responsibility to follow these rules, as they are conducive to the process that our tax dollars are intending.

He has no 'right' to break these rules, no matter how unjust they may seem.  He entered into them willingly (or his parents did) and therefore any breach of them is a breach of contract.  The school has every right to suspend or expel him for violating this contract of behaviour. 

The classroom is not a forum for everyone's viewpoint, but a forum for the instruction on a particular subject.  If he would like to have an outlet to speak his mind, there exist plenty of stages, especially with the advent of the internet.  If his views are particularly interesting, or presented in an interesting way, he will have his audience.  If his method is clumsy, and his ideas stale and purely cynical, then he will have a hard time getting anybody to pay any attention to him.

By dressing up in pirate garb, he was intentionally trying to disrupt (either for comedic or religious purposes,) the classroom and it's environment.  He was punished for such.  This is not about 'rights' or 'civil liberties' but about an irresponsible child who sought only to undermine the instructor and cause dissent.
quot;Pleasure for man, is not a luxury, but a profound psychological need."
-Nathaniel Branden

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2007, 06:22:59 PM »
Erm since when does he have a right not to attend school? Over here at least its a legal obligation to attend school.
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

Masterchef

• Rabble rabble rabble
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2007, 06:28:15 PM »
Erm since when does he have a right not to attend school? Over here at least its a legal obligation to attend school.
Well, he can attend a different school, or be home schooled.

And I think it is important to say that while you are in a public school, you do not have the same rights as you do while you are outside it.

Midnight

• RE/FE Apathetic.
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2007, 06:33:58 PM »
Thank you, voice of sanity.  :-*
My problem with his ideas is that it is a ridiculous thing.

Genius. PURE, undiluted genius.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #34 on: April 13, 2007, 06:36:34 PM »
Go to bed Midnight!
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

EvilToothpaste

• The Reverse Engineer
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2007, 01:39:29 AM »
Even if its not a rule I think its generall accepted that you're not supposed to disrupt the class

Yes, but it doesn't sound like he was being disruptive to anything but the assistant principal's ego.  I don't think the boy actually broke any rules.  If I were asked to take off my garb, I would ask to see the reason in writing. 

I have problems with authority ... 

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2007, 05:35:15 AM »
Oh yeah I would have argued it as well. Not that I have trouble with authority, I just like to be a pain in the arse.

Demosthenes

• Leader of the Anti-Loli coalition
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2007, 07:22:02 AM »
That God-damned Flying Spaghetti Monster!!! Always trying to get tre-fity from me an my wife.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 07:36:07 AM by Demosthenes »

« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2007, 07:32:33 AM »
I thought he'd go away!

« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2007, 07:55:28 AM »
Schools get away with so much in the US nowadays. The first amendment is the first amendment. If someone wants to wear an eyepatch in school, they should be able too. This crap about it being disruptive is just an excuse. The teacher and probably the principal just didn't approve or were offended. I would not be surprised if the student had harsh anti-Christian opinions which many of the staff/faculty did not agree with. I don't care how much you believe your fairy tales, if this kid can't wear an eyepatch, then nobody should be allowed to display ANY kind of religious symbols in schools. Crosses, veils, yammikas(spelling), carrying around bibles or torahs, it should all be banned. There is no reason to put one fake religion above another in a supposed country of equality.

It would be interesting to see a social experiment done with another kid bringing in an inflatable cross or star of david and seeing the reaction of the staff.

« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2007, 07:56:58 AM »
Why should the first amendment apply totally if the kid is on private property? I think they did have the right to punish him. Whether they should have or not is entirely up to them.

« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2007, 09:33:06 AM »
Why should the first amendment apply totally if the kid is on private property? I think they did have the right to punish him. Whether they should have or not is entirely up to them.

Public school grounds are not private property. Public schools have to respect the constitutional rights of everyone.

Midnight

• RE/FE Apathetic.
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2007, 10:51:01 AM »

Public school grounds are not private property. Public schools have to respect the constitutional rights of everyone.

Actually, they have to follow the code enforced at the federal level for schools. These codes vary by state. I have yet to find a state that allows children to wear inflatable swords and eye patches when both eyes work fine, and it is an institution of learning, rather than how to plunder the 7 seas.

« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2007, 10:56:49 AM »

Yeah and other kids have the right to an education without being distracted by an attention-seeker. Going to school dressed as a Pirate is going to cause some level of disruption/distraction and it is entirely within the school's rights to stop it happening. I'm not American and have not ever studied American history so I'm not up on the constitution but I am very much up on common sense and that is what usually prevails. If he was so serious about his made-up religion why doesn't he just create a necklace or a badge or some other small indication of his "faith". He doesn't need an inflatable sword and an eye-patch.

« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2007, 11:00:31 AM »

Actually, they have to follow the code enforced at the federal level for schools. These codes vary by state. I have yet to find a state that allows children to wear inflatable swords and eye patches when both eyes work fine, and it is an institution of learning, rather than how to plunder the 7 seas.

In most schools it is not ok to wear hats, yet it is fine for a Jewish person to wear a yammika or a muslim girl to wear a veil?  That is what we are discussing. The eyepatch and sword were displayed for religious reasons. The fact that they removed him from the classroom and suspended reeks of religious bias. The first amendment is the first amendment, and it applies here. I think this kid has every right to be pissed off and take action against the school district.

Also, each state does not have a federal law. If a state has a law, it is a state law, not a federal law. The US federal government are the ones that create and enforce federal law.

« Reply #45 on: April 23, 2007, 11:06:20 AM »
I'm not 100% sure but I doubt Pastafarianism is a recognised religion.

Midnight

• RE/FE Apathetic.
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2007, 11:15:38 AM »
In most schools it is not ok to wear hats, yet it is fine for a Jewish person to wear a yammika or a muslim girl to wear a veil?  That is what we are discussing. The eyepatch and sword were displayed for religious reasons. The fact that they removed him from the classroom and suspended reeks of religious bias. The first amendment is the first amendment, and it applies here. I think this kid has every right to be pissed off and take action against the school district.

If you really believe his 'religion' was legit, then no amount of discourse will get anywhere. There is no tax-exempt, government list that includes "The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster". All religions that are viewed as serious, actual faiths, with a following, and actual dogma, rites, and materials, are granted Federal Protections. Spare me.

Also, each state does not have a federal law. If a state has a law, it is a state law, not a federal law. The US federal government are the ones that create and enforce federal law.

I said Federal Codes. There is a distinct Difference. The Federal Law is what is used to make the strictures held within the codes. My aunts, uncles and cousins are teachers. I know how it works. LOL.

In Texas, for example, children are allowed to express their religious beliefs, as long as those expressions do not unilaterally destroy the teaching environment. The Church of Satan has members under the age of 18 in my state. I attended school with several of these kids. They did not come to class wearing robes and burning incense, nor did they proselytize the classroom. They did their work, and went on with life. Jewish Children wear their head pieces in reverence to their established, VERIFIABLE religious doctrine. They do not roam the hallways shaking it like a thong and intentionally getting the attention of their peers OFF of the curriculum. There is, again, a distinct difference, between having the right to espouse your faith and using that constructively, and being an asshat just for the sake of doing it.

That kid did not mention his faith until he was slapped with a "go home" note. His own mother said he was full of it, and took his "religion" over the edge. I would think his own mother, who is in the home, and knows her son, saying that he was full of crap, would have more weight with the common man's idea of 'religious intolerance' than anyone else. She stated, on the record, he was full of shit.

The religion he claimed is, in itself, further proof of his intent. It started as an internet JOKE. There is no Church or congregation for this kid's claim. They do not exist. If they did, that would be one thing. So, no.

« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2007, 11:17:36 AM »

Yeah and other kids have the right to an education without being distracted by an attention-seeker. Going to school dressed as a Pirate is going to cause some level of disruption/distraction and it is entirely within the school's rights to stop it happening. I'm not American and have not ever studied American history so I'm not up on the constitution but I am very much up on common sense and that is what usually prevails. If he was so serious about his made-up religion why doesn't he just create a necklace or a badge or some other small indication of his "faith". He doesn't need an inflatable sword and an eye-patch.

Alright, why don't we tell muslim girls that wearing Burkas in school is distracting. Why don't we tell them to find a substitute that is more appropriate or less "disruptive." Why don't we tell catholics on ash Wendsday that is it disruptive to the class to have ash on their heads and they have to wash it off before coming into class. Why do we give a day off for Yom Kippur in public schools, a religious holiday. Certainly missing an ENTIRE DAY of classes is far more disruptive then wearing eyepatches. Why do we make these distinctions among what is valid and what isn't as far as religion is concerned. Pastafarians have as much a logical and historical basis for their beliefs as Christians do. Each have little or no factual historical basis, why do we distinguish one from the other? They are both as made up as each other, as well a Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, etc etc. We should make people keep their religions at home all together if you want to use the disruptive argument. It's not my problem if you choose to believe that if you don't wear a veil on your head you are going to hell. If you don't want to not wear one, don't go to a public school.

And that is what this is really about. Showing how retarded religion is, and how biased people are. Sheer passage of time does not make a religion any truer. They should all be treated as Pastafarianism is, as loads of crap.

Midnight

• RE/FE Apathetic.
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2007, 11:21:42 AM »
Alright, why don't we tell muslim girls that wearing Burkas in school is distracting. Why don't we tell them to find a substitute that is more appropriate or less "disruptive." Why don't we tell catholics on ash Wendsday that is it disruptive to the class to have ash on their heads and they have to wash it off before coming into class. Why do we give a day off for Yom Kippur in public schools, a religious holiday. Certainly missing an ENTIRE DAY of classes is far more disruptive then wearing eyepatches. Why do we make these distinctions among what is valid and what isn't as far as religion is concerned. Pastafarians have as much a logical and historical basis for their beliefs as Christians do. Each have little or no factual historical basis, why do we distinguish one from the other? They are both as made up as each other, as well a Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, etc etc. We should make people keep their religions at home all together if you want to use the disruptive argument. It's not my problem if you choose to believe that if you don't wear a veil on your head you are going to hell. If you don't want to not wear one, don't go to a public school.

And that is what this is really about. Showing how retarded religion is, and how biased people are. Sheer passage of time does not make a religion any truer. They should all be treated as Pastafarianism is, as loads of crap.

I think that, in the absence of a right way to do all of this, that is acceptable, people just nitpick to be correct. In the end, it won't change anything.

« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2007, 11:27:17 AM »

If you really believe his 'religion' was legit, then no amount of discourse will get anywhere. There is no tax-exempt, government list that includes "The Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster". All religions that are viewed as serious, actual faiths, with a following, and actual dogma, rites, and materials, are granted Federal Protections. Spare me.

I'm sorry, I thought that the first amendment protects the right to freedom of religion? Like I've stated before, wearing an eyepatch is no more disruptive then a muslim with a veil on, or a christian with a big old cross on their neck. Infact I wouldn't be surprised if there were more Pastafarians in the US then muslims(muslims make up less then .5%). Ontop of this, Pastafarianism has the same intellectual basis as pretty much every other organized religion. So why is it not allowed and the rest are? Sounds like discrimination to me.

Midnight

• RE/FE Apathetic.
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2007, 11:31:24 AM »

I'm sorry, I thought that the first amendment protects the right to freedom of religion? Like I've stated before, wearing an eyepatch is no more disruptive then a muslim with a veil on, or a christian with a big old cross on their neck. Infact I wouldn't be surprised if there were more Pastafarians in the US then muslims(muslims make up less then .5%). Ontop of this, Pastafarianism has the same intellectual basis as pretty much every other organized religion. So why is it not allowed and the rest are? Sounds like discrimination to me.

Tell that to Dubya, not me. LOL.

I agree that it is stated in the first amendment. The problem here is, the kid was using a false claim of religion to strengthen his defense for his behavior problems at school. Show me the official website, or links to official doctrine, for the 'Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster'.

Your basic argument is the saying that he was being persecuted for his religion. And yet, where is this religion? Where are the tabernacles, the meeting places, the ranks of the leadership for his "church". A live journal page and some myspace comments? Please.

« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2007, 11:35:08 AM »
My opinion is based on the fact I don't give his "religion" any credibility and it looks to me as if he fabricated the whole notion just to see how far he could push things. If I thought his religion was real I'd lean to your opinion but I don't think he has a leg (or is that a peg?) to stand on when even his own mother essentially admits it was a joke gone too far.

Midnight

• RE/FE Apathetic.
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2007, 11:35:43 AM »
And again, he wasn't sent home on a whim. He was asked, THEN he was told, to desist his behavior. He refused.

Even if his religion existed (false), and he was trying to adhere to it (inflatable swords, right) he was obviously doing more, than simply sitting in a room looking like a mental degenerate. He had to surely have been causing noticeable problems. Teachers are not cops. They don't wander the school looking for people who appear out of sync and berate them. The article that spawned this whole thread goes to great pains to paint a picture of some kid who was mistreated, but they leave out many variables in the story. Again, sitting in a classroom looking like Jack Sparrow on LSD is not enough to warrant his treatment, so it leads to the conclusive thought he was being loud, or making a point to be seen, audibly or through his mannerisms, and the teacher told him to stop it, and he became defiant. Being a child, his rights are his own, but under the authority he was, in a word, attempting to bypass for his own amusement.

Again, his own mother said the child was full of shit.

« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2007, 11:59:41 AM »

I agree that it is stated in the first amendment. The problem here is, the kid was using a false claim of religion to strengthen his defense for his behavior problems at school. Show me the official website, or links to official doctrine, for the 'Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster'.

Your basic argument is the saying that he was being persecuted for his religion. And yet, where is this religion? Where are the tabernacles, the meeting places, the ranks of the leadership for his "church". A live journal page and some myspace comments? Please.

http://www.venganza.org/
There is a whole book of teachings that are to be followed. Pastafarianism is considered a religion in that it has tax-exempt status.

Midnight

• RE/FE Apathetic.
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2007, 12:31:35 PM »

http://www.venganza.org/
There is a whole book of teachings that are to be followed. Pastafarianism is considered a religion in that it has tax-exempt status.

That's marvelous, but you are intentionally responding to another poster, and not to me. I said nothing about Pastafarianism. I am talking about the 'Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster'. Even if it falls under the umbrella of that....link (hardly conclusive evidence of validity in an established order of religion), it is still semantical at best, and silly at worst.

To be fair to you, I read the entire site, as best as could be done without my head exploding:

I am writing you with much concern after having read of your hearing to decide whether the alternative theory of Intelligent Design should be taught along with the theory of Evolution.

That is not indicative of an established religion. It is sarcastic wind-farting to debate about how certain educational institutions should, or should not be, present in our schools. This has nothing to do with religion, deity, or faith, and everything to do with political stances. The sarcasm is merely used as a device to argue against something. This is not religion, this is politics, and has no leg to stand on for the debate in this thread.

Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. It was He who created all that we see and all that we feel. We feel strongly that the overwhelming scientific evidence pointing towards evolutionary processes is nothing but a coincidence, put in place by Him.

There is not a chance in a snowstorm in hell that this prose is meant to be taken seriously. Basically, that right there fits with most of the debate on THIS site, such as "Australia does not exist". There is no evidence shown. There is no body of people who actually subscribe to the 'pasta monsta'. There is a dillweed, with a website. Hardly evidence of a religion.

It is for this reason that I’m writing you today, to formally request that this alternative theory be taught in your schools, along with the other two theories. In fact, I will go so far as to say, if you do not agree to do this, we will be forced to proceed with legal action. I’m sure you see where we are coming from. If the Intelligent Design theory is not based on faith, but instead another scientific theory, as is claimed, then you must also allow our theory to be taught, as it is also based on science, not on faith.

Try again.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 12:45:49 PM by midnight »

Midnight

• RE/FE Apathetic.
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2007, 01:04:21 PM »
And more telling information, upon research:

Domain ID:D105240731-LROR
Domain Name:VENGANZA.ORG
Created On:24-Nov-2004 08:07:57 UTC
Last Updated On:03-Sep-2006 17:12:52 UTC
Expiration Date:24-Nov-2009 08:07:57 UTC
Sponsoring Registrar:Go Daddy Software, Inc. (R91-LROR)
Registrant ID:GODA-013323093
Registrant Name:Robert Henderson
Registrant Street1:Calkins rd
Registrant Street2:
Registrant Street3:
Registrant City:Roseburg
Registrant State/Province:Oregon
Registrant Postal Code:97470
Registrant Country:US
Registrant Phone:+1.5125327804
Registrant Phone Ext.:
Registrant FAX:
Registrant FAX Ext.:
Registrant Email:henderob@gmail.com
Admin ID:GODA-213323093
Admin Name:Robert Henderson
Admin Street1:1935 nw Calkins rd
Admin Street2:
Admin Street3:
Admin City:Roseburg
Admin State/Province:Oregon
Admin Postal Code:97470
Admin Country:US
Admin Phone:+1.12063395872
Admin Phone Ext.:
Admin FAX:
Admin FAX Ext.:
Admin Email:henderob@xsmail.com
Tech ID:GODA-113323093
Tech Name:Robert Henderson
Tech Street1:1935 nw Calkins rd
Tech Street2:
Tech Street3:
Tech City:Roseburg
Tech State/Province:Oregon
Tech Postal Code:97470
Tech Country:US
Tech Phone:+1.12063395872
Tech Phone Ext.:
Tech FAX:
Tech FAX Ext.:
Tech Email:henderob@xsmail.com
Name Server:NN1.VENGANZA.ORG
Name Server:NN2.VENGANZA.ORG

IP Address:      68.178.163.21 (ARIN & RIPE IP search)
IP Location:    US(UNITED STATES)-ARIZONA-SCOTTSDALE
Record Type:    Domain Name
Server Type:    Apache 2
Web Site Status:    Active
DMOZ    1 listings
Y! Directory:    see listings
Web Site Title:    Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster
Secure:    No
E-commerce:    No
Traffic Ranking:    4
Data as of:    05-Nov-2006
-----------

Sponsoring Registrar:Go Daddy Software, Inc. (R91-LROR)

Go Daddy Software Inc.   ?????????????
http://www.godaddy.com

He cannot delete, renew, transfer, or udpate his own domain? An established religion with varying degrees of support would have far more options in their data management than an AOL-esque hosting package.

He lives in Oregon, but uses an Apache Web Server in Scotsdale Arizona??????
http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&tab=wl&q=1935%20nw%20Calkins%20rd

The young man lives in an affluent neighborhood with his parents. Hardly the location and age of a Religious Leader.

Look up any religious site on the net. Most established religious centers house their data networks in the same location. This is done for several important reasons, chief among them, credibility, and security of their data, and manageability, accessibility during downtime, and just common fucking sense.

Upon further research:

http://www.roberthenderson.org
(declaring his fame throughout the earth???????????)

« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 01:07:25 PM by midnight »

« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2007, 01:50:30 PM »
Wow are you fucking retarded? Do you not understand satire and parody? I think you missed the entire point. First of all Pastafarianism and the church of the flying spaghetti monster are the same thing you dolt. Created by the same guy, for the same reason, to point out the retardedness of intelligent design. Second of all, Coloation and managed hosting are a common solution nowadays for those without the means or bandwidth of a data center. I infact colocate a server I built in Brooklyn, NY, even though I live in Boston. for $99 a month I get a steady and reliable 10mbps and 99% uptime. Being that even a monkey nowadays can remotely administer servers, it's really silly to make comments like "reputable religions have all of their data in their own personal data centers!" when it's massively cheaper to colocate or hire managed hosting.

The fact you have never heard of pastafarianism is evidence that you know nothing about popular-culture, internet-culture, or current counter-culture. I suggest before typing one more sentence, you go and read everything you can, until you get the joke. Then come back.

« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2007, 01:51:59 PM »
So it's a joke? Yet you argue he should be allowed to express it as his religion in the classroom? Now I am confused.

« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2007, 01:54:50 PM »
So it's a joke? Yet you argue he should be allowed to express it as his religion in the classroom? Now I am confused.

It's a religion, as valid as any other with the same sort of logical and intellectual basis. It is a parody though, created to show just how ridiculous religions are.

« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2007, 01:55:24 PM »
It's either one or the other it can't be both.