WHAT! Tom Bishop got OWNED!

• 37 Replies

Re: WHAT! Tom Bishop got OWNED!
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 01:53:12 PM »
He is probably hiding from this forum until the news starts to cool down, then he will come back and pretend this never happened. OR he is at a meeting trying to come up with some bullshit excuse to answer.

?

Miss M.

• Screw you.
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 01:54:41 PM »
or he's just posting under another name.
Quote from: TheEngineer
I happen to like GG.
Quote from: Z, the Enlightened.
I never thought in my life I'd write the sentence "I thought they were caught in a bipolar geodesic?"

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 01:56:15 PM »
Tom gets owned alot. 
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

Ulrichomega

• Bring it Bishop.
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 06:16:22 PM »
Is there a thread where he doesn't get owned and than logs off and says he was at lunh while he comes up with insults against the people, not the arguements?
I'm so tempted to put a scratch and sniff at the bottom of a pool and see what you do...

Avert your eyes, this is too awesome for them...

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 07:59:55 PM »
Let me change my sig count...

Done.
Can the FAQ...
Yes, it can.

?

Tom Bishop

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2007, 08:09:16 PM »
Everything about the Sun and Moon is thoroughly described in Earth Not a Globe. It seems as if half of the book is dedicated to the Sun and Moon. The book describes the Sun and Moon so thoroughly it is a sickening idea to even attempt to regurgitate Rowbotham's superior explanations.

You can read Earth Not a Globe for yourself here.

The following chapters in particular would interest you:

VI. THE SUN'S MOTION CONCENTRIC WITH THE POLAR CENTRE

VII. THE SUN'S PATH EXPANDS AND CONTRACTS DAILY FOR SIX MONTHS ALTERNATELY

VIII. CAUSE OF DAY AND NIGHT, WINTER AND SUMMER, AND THE LONG ALTERNATIONS OF LIGHT AND DARKNESS AT THE NORTHERN CENTRE

IX. CAUSE OF SUNRISE AND SUNSET

X. CAUSE OF SUN APPEARING LARGER WHEN RISING AND SETTING THAN AT NOONDAY

XI. CAUSE OF SOLAR AND LUNAR ECLIPSES
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 08:34:53 PM by Tom Bishop »

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2007, 08:15:42 PM »
Everything about the Sun and Moon is thoroughly described in Earth Not a Globe. It seems as if half of the book is dedicated to the Sun and Moon. The book describes the sun and moon so thoroughly its sickening to even attempt to regurgitate Rowbotham's superior explanations.

You can read Earth Not a Globe for yourself here.

I thought you told me to look out my window.  I look out and see the sun set behind the mountains.  Then I see the moon.  And it also sets, yet its way dimmer then the sun.  It should set way earlier but it doesnt. 
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2007, 09:10:00 PM »
Hey Tom look what I found.  http://www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/SciRefGuides/flatearth.html
Its your list.   You should tell people you stole it from a government site.
No wounder some of those books look funny, they talk about people that believe the earth was flat. 
Like this one, notice what the bold says. 

Gould, Stephen J. The persistently flat earth. Natural history, v. 103, Mar. 1994: 12, 14–19.
   QH1.N13, v. 103
   Investigates the relatively recent origin of the notion that scholars of the Middle Ages, with few exceptions, believed the earth was flat. 
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

?

Tom Bishop

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2007, 09:16:43 PM »
I thought you told me to look out my window.  I look out and see the sun set behind the mountains.  Then I see the moon.  And it also sets, yet its way dimmer then the sun.  It should set way earlier but it doesnt.

The sun sets into the horizon at a certain distance away from the observer due to a perspective effect. It's all explained in the chapters of Earth Not a Globe I've linked to above. After the sun sets there is lingering light from the sun bouncing around off the clouds and such. Eventually when the sun is a significant distance away that light disappears entirely due to air density and the observer is plunged into darkness.

Hey Tom look what I found.  http://www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/SciRefGuides/flatearth.html

Well, there you go. What you posted shows that the Library of Congress supports a Flat Earth. The Library of Congress believes in a Flat Earth so much it has dedicated a 'Flat Earth' section in its 'Science Reference Guides' series.

Obviously the books exist and the Library of Congress is not part of the Conspiracy.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 09:47:33 PM by Tom Bishop »

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2007, 05:40:50 AM »

The sun sets into the horizon at a certain distance away from the observer due to a perspective effect. It's all explained in the chapters of Earth Not a Globe I've linked to above. After the sun sets there is lingering light from the sun bouncing around off the clouds and such. Eventually when the sun is a significant distance away that light disappears entirely due to air density and the observer is plunged into darkness.

Well, there you go. What you posted shows that the Library of Congress supports a Flat Earth. The Library of Congress believes in a Flat Earth so much it has dedicated a 'Flat Earth' section in its 'Science Reference Guides' series.

Obviously the books exist and the Library of Congress is not part of the Conspiracy.
More like you have no idea what any of those books are about.  You just found the list and then claimed it as your own. 
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

CommonCents

• ^_^
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2007, 06:44:44 AM »
Did you read http://www.sacred-texts.com/earth/za/za27.htm#page_124 Tom?  It really supports RE....everything approaches the horizon....All of the observations in that point to a curved surface and not a flat one....
OMG!

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2007, 07:30:32 AM »

Tom, I actually looked at that section, and therefore I can knowledgably tell you it is a total load of CRAP!

If sunrises/sunsets were really caused by a perspective effect, I would see the sun in the morning as a tiny dot on the horizon, watch it as it grew bigger and eventually passed overhead, and then see it recede in the distance, all the while staying on top of the horizon.

That doesn't happen.

What really happens is that the sun seems to appear from under the horizon, passes overhead, and at sunset falls back below the horizon, all the while staying approzimately the same size!. If it was perspective, I would see the sun shrink down into a tiny dot in the distance. Not only that, but no amount of "perspective" would allow the sun to fall below the horizon line unless it actually did so.

Tom, not only do you not know math or astronomy, you apparently do not know proper eyesight.

Perspective effect? I don't think so, Tom.

{EDIT} Ditto all that for the moon.
Can the FAQ...
Yes, it can.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2007, 01:55:21 PM »
Time to change the count again, Agent!  That was brilliant.  Why doesn't the sun get larger as it approaches directly overhead, then get smaller again as it goes away?  It stays the same size all along, as does the moon, and the only reasonable explanation is that in relation to an observer on Earth, they are not changing their distance as they pass overhead.  Obviously this isn't the case, if I am looking at the FE model right. 

Please explain, Tom.  In your own words, if your brain is actually capable of such a thing.  I'm starting to doubt that you even understand your favorite book.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

Ulrichomega

• Bring it Bishop.
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2007, 09:47:33 PM »
He will just ignore Agent_0042's post and quote this one and insult me and say I should read the book.

He won't actually because I said he would, and he doesn't want to seem to predictable.

See what I did there tom? I made it so you had no choice on what to do if you don't want to seem predictable.   :P
I'm so tempted to put a scratch and sniff at the bottom of a pool and see what you do...

Avert your eyes, this is too awesome for them...

Midnight

• RE/FE Apathetic.
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2007, 10:51:22 PM »
His monitor, by now, is covered in spittle.
My problem with his ideas is that it is a ridiculous thing.

Genius. PURE, undiluted genius.

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2007, 05:57:59 AM »
If you go here you can see how he created a new alias to try and bail himself out. If you don't want to waste your time looking at it, it's just another crap explanation for sunrises, one that doesn't even actually explain sunrises. I'll let someone else do the owning this time.
Can the FAQ...
Yes, it can.

Midnight

• RE/FE Apathetic.
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2007, 10:15:56 AM »
If you go here you can see how he created a new alias to try and bail himself out. If you don't want to waste your time looking at it, it's just another crap explanation for sunrises, one that doesn't even actually explain sunrises. I'll let someone else do the owning this time.

I am a once per day creature in that department.
My problem with his ideas is that it is a ridiculous thing.

Genius. PURE, undiluted genius.

?

Tom Bishop

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2007, 11:05:16 AM »
If sunrises/sunsets were really caused by a perspective effect, I would see the sun in the morning as a tiny dot on the horizon, watch it as it grew bigger and eventually passed overhead, and then see it recede in the distance, all the while staying on top of the horizon.

Watch the sun set into the horizon sometime and you will notice that it actually grows much bigger as it approaches the horizon. This is an optical illusion in which the sun is magnified due to its light shining through more of the air density and water vapor at the horizon.

From Chapter 10:

IT is well known that when a light of any kind shines through a dense medium it appears larger, or rather gives a greater "glare," at a given distance than when it is seen through a lighter medium. This is more remarkable when the medium holds aqueous particles or vapour in solution, as in a damp or foggy atmosphere. Anyone may be satisfied of this by standing within a few yards of an ordinary street lamp, and noticing the size of the flame; on going away to many times the distance, the light or "glare" upon the atmosphere will appear considerably larger. This phenomenon may be noticed, to a greater or less degree, at all times; but when the air is moist and vapoury it is more intense. It is evident that at sunrise, and at sunset, the sun's light must shine through a greater length of atmospheric air than at mid-day; besides which, the air near the earth is both more dense, and holds more watery particles in solution, than the higher strata through which the sun shines at noonday; and hence the light must be dilated or magnified, as well as modified in colour.

Not only that, but no amount of "perspective" would allow the sun to fall below the horizon line unless it actually did so.

At a certain point receding objects must become one with the horizon as a simple matter of perspective. As the sun becomes one with the horizon it appears to "set" into it.

From Chapter 9:

ALTHOUGH the sun is at all times above the earth's surface, it appears in the morning to ascend from the north-east to the noonday position, and thence to descend and disappear, or set, in the north-west. This phenomenon arises from the operation of a simple and everywhere visible law of perspective. A flock of birds, when passing over a flat or marshy country, always appears to descend is it recedes; and if the flock is extensive, the first bird appears lower or nearer to the horizon than the last, although they are at the same actual altitude above the earth immediately beneath them.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 11:08:54 AM by Tom Bishop »

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2007, 11:08:34 AM »
Too bad that is all thrown out the window when we realize the shape of the sun at the horizon is still spherical. If the sun shared the same flat characteristics of the Earth, then it wouldn't leave our 'perspective' view as round as it does. It would be an oval.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 11:10:46 AM by Tom Bishop »
Best SNL skit ever: " class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">

I predict Michale Crichton's next book will be based on the Flat Earth Society.

?

Tom Bishop

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2007, 11:11:04 AM »
The sun is spherical in Flat Earth Theory. Where in the FAQ or ENG does it say it's not?

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2007, 11:11:56 AM »
The sun is spherical in Flat Earth Theory. Where in the FAQ or book does it say it's not?

The Sun is a globe?

?

Tom Bishop

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2007, 11:13:41 AM »
You have more posts than me, Vauxhall. You should have been able to figure that out by now.

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2007, 11:14:24 AM »
The sun is spherical in Flat Earth Theory. Where in the FAQ or ENG does it say it's not?

How come the sun can be spherical and the Earth can't?
Best SNL skit ever: " class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">

?

Tom Bishop

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2007, 11:17:51 AM »
A matter of physics. In the Earth's early life it went through extreme rotational force and sheering. This gave the Earth its flat disk shape.

Not everything in the Universe is round, you know. When we look up into the night skies we notice certain asteroids are flat, and indeed even entire Galaxies can be flat.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 11:20:59 AM by Tom Bishop »

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2007, 11:20:36 AM »
You have more posts than me, Vauxhall. You should have been able to figure that out by now.

How rude. Answer the question.

If the sun is a globe, then why isn't the earth a globe? Are all the other planets globes as well?

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2007, 11:24:10 AM »
Tom your explanation still doesn't answer why the sun can be seen to be half about the horizon and half below.   
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2007, 11:25:38 AM »
A matter of physics. In the Earth's early life it went through extreme rotational force and sheering. This gave the Earth its flat disk shape.

Not everything in the Universe is round, you know. When we look up into the night skies we notice certain asteroids are flat, and indeed even entire Galaxies can be flat.

Too bad, when you look deeper into these Galaxies, they are made up of spherical suns with spherical planets orbiting them. So, that leaves another question... how come planets in other galaxies orbit their suns and are spherical and ours is flat and doesn't orbit our sun?

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2007, 11:36:21 AM »
You can argue "optical illusion" until you're blue in the face, Tom.  You still haven't explained why the sun doesn't GROW AS IT APPROACHES and SHRINK AS IT LEAVES.

I know how this optical illusion works, Tom.  It's the same principle that makes the moon seem much larger when it is close to the horizon then when it is high overhead.  But if you hold a ruler up to the moon (or the sun) in this situation, you find that it's actually the same size.

If the sun really was further away from an observer at some times (as it is on the FE model, where the sun really does change distances in relation to the observer), if you held a ruler up to it when it was approaching, or when it was leaving, you'd get a different measurement than when it was directly overhead. 

You don't.  It stays the same size at all times.  Which is because we're orbitting it, it is much further away than FE assumes, and it stays the same relative distance from an observer on Earth wherever it is in the sky.

You do understand perspective, right Tom?  You love talking about it.

Owned.  Try and show me differently.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

CommonCents

• ^_^
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2007, 11:44:27 AM »
Very good point...The optical illusion that makes the moon and sun appear larger at the horizon is from, I believe, the fact that we have points of reference and not from refraction which would make it measure differently as you pointed out.
OMG!