The Music Game

• 21 Replies
?

6strings

• The Elder Ones
The Music Game
« on: February 19, 2006, 07:22:50 AM »
Right, so here's my idea for a game, because people here seem so unhappy with one another; also it may turn people onto new music they like.

Here's how it works, one person names a song they like, the next person who wants to post listens to that song (yay, illegal downloads!) and says whether they like it or not, and why (yes, you have to give a reason why, otherwise this will easily degenerate into "my music rocks, yours sucks").  The reason can be as simple as, "I don't really like the feeling of this song", just keep it civil.  They then post a song they like.

Anyone who wants to post has to "evaluate" either the previous two songs, or up to their last post, whichever comes first.  Hopefully, this'll help spread musical diversity to the world!  Also, you can't suggest more than 1 song per post.

So, to get the ball rolling, here's my suggestion:
The Extremist by Joe Satriani

?

joffenz

• The Elder Ones
The Music Game
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006, 12:28:36 PM »
Woot! Joe Satriani! Of course I like him! What guitarist doesn't!?!

Awesome guitar skills there, good song.

Right, my suggestion: "The Wickerman" by Iron Maiden. Make sure it's the studio version, the live track isn't as good.

The Music Game
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2006, 08:25:24 PM »
Well, like you said, I listened to both.

I'm no big fan of electric guitar solos (hey, a palindrome), so I can't say much in terms of skill or whatever else have you because I don't understand the genre too well. That's not dissing your music by any means.

Actually, I should say, give it some time and I might get to like them. See, it sounds like good background music when I'm reading a book, playing my PSP or flaming some flat-earther, so eventually, yeah, it could rock (well, technically, yes, it is already rock).

Anyway, I guess I have to suggest something, give me a bit.

While I'm thinking about it, let me say, I'm back. I've been gone a while because I got sick of all the crazy science. Well, I'm ready for another round, but so many new faces... Who would've thought it could be so much fun?

Oh, by the way, try this:
MC Paul Barman - Vulture Shark Sculpture Park

?

Nibton

The Music Game
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2006, 08:48:02 AM »
great :)

My Suggestion
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 01:27:19 AM »
How about 'Carry Stress in the Jaw' by Mr. Bungle? Actually, anything from the 'Disco Volante' album is great.  Very offbeat, a hybrid of death metal-progressive-polka-jazz-cartoon theme songs and circus music-grunge-pop-noise!!  Have a listen and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!
ravity - It's what keeps me down to Earth!

?

6strings

• The Elder Ones
The Music Game
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2006, 06:45:39 PM »
Wow...I had totally forgotten this thread existed...huh

Right, so I realize that the rules of this game only require me to evaluate the last two songs posted *cough*Paranoid_Android*cough*, but since I spent so much time searching for Vulture Shark Sculpture Park, and the fact that I love Iron Maiden, I'm doing three.

First on the docket(sp?):
Iron Maiden's "The Wickerman"
This is probably just another case of "I'm a guitarist, and so almost generically accept anything done by artist x to be good", but I like this song.

Also, cheesejoff, you're a guitarist? *Generic questions always asked when you learn someone plays an instrument (how long? what genres of music? in a band? etc.*

Vulture Shark Sculpture Park - MC Paul Barman
I can't say I really listened to the lyrics...although I did hear something about a sandwhich mentioned at some point or another...I did like the beat and some of the riffs in it, but on the whole, it didn't pull me in, although it did remind me of that song "Humpty Hump" for some reason, the guy's voice I guess...

Carry Stress in the Jaw - Mr. Bungle
This has to be some of the most progressive...whatever the hell it is.  I think it's just way over my head, but I do enjoy some parts of it, mostly when there's no singing, because I just really don't like his voice, except for the part where he does those hauting "whooo" 's, those are cool..but not the "wha" 's, those are irritating.  In summary: interesting song, liked the instrumenal parts, not so much the singing, it did remind me of Hocus Pocus by Focus though...

And now for my pick; let's go with,
Classical Gas by Mason Williams (you'll like this one cheesejoff, that is, if you haven't already heard it)

Also, for anyone interested (probably cheesjoff), Satriani just released his new album, 'Super Colossal', you can stream the video here: http://www.satriani.com/2004/discography/Super_Colossal/video.html

The Music Game
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2006, 04:38:15 AM »
Hi
I agree  _ Mason Williams "Classical Gas" (not John's cover) is brilliant. 60's rule OK
Gran

?

joffenz

• The Elder Ones
The Music Game
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2006, 12:15:57 PM »
Yes indeed I am a guitarist. Played acoustic for about 4 years then played electric for about 2 years. Currently playing a Fender Strat (*coughs* Squire *coughs*). Not in a band at the moment. Mostly I play rock and metal, bands like Iron Maiden, Metallica, but also a bit of Satriani and Hendrix (at least I try to! :p)

*asks generic questions back to 6strings*

Right onto the songs:

Vulture Shark Sculpture Park: Having trouble getting this, my internet must be smelled up...

Carry Stress in the Jaw - argh the net is being a baughty boy.

Classical Gas: Already have this, of course I like it as it's a classic, and I've been inspired to learn how to play it now.

I will get back to you on the other two songs soon.

?

6strings

• The Elder Ones
The Music Game
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2006, 06:16:58 PM »
Heh, a Squire.  Although I shouldn't talk, I've got a Jay Terser "Vintage Series" (glorified way of saying it's a piece of crap).  I've only been playing (both electric and acoustic) for two years, but I just got accepted into Vanier College's Music/Science program, out of 35 applicant on guitar, so I'm happy :D.  Currently in a band...of sorts, you know the kind you get together with and jam every once in a while but never really get anything down pat?  Yeah, one of those.  As for music, I like basically anything with cool guitar, Classical, Jazz (Pass and Metheney are awesome), Rock...so long as it's not overly distorted, my favorite is blues/rock in the style of Hendrix, Clapton and the Allman Brothers though, that stuff's awesome.

Anyone else here play any instruments?

The Music Game
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2006, 06:21:28 AM »
Hi
Sorry to say that I don't have the talent to play a musical instrument but I do like listening to a wide variety of music ranging from classical to rock.
I think the 60's single of Love Sculpture's version of "Sabre Dance" (Katcharturian) combines the two and is well worth a listen. I think Dave Edmunds played lead guitar
Gran

?

joffenz

• The Elder Ones
The Music Game
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2006, 11:13:39 AM »
Yeah Pat Metheny is great. Nice one on getting accepted into that college by the way.

I should have suggested another song to keep this thread going.

"Enter Sandman" by Metallica. The guitar riff is pretty good on this one 6strings. (The solo was voted in the top 10 solos in the newspaper recently, I'll try and get a link to it)

?

joffenz

• The Elder Ones
The Music Game
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2006, 03:36:46 PM »
*bump*

Lordi are representing Finland in Eurovision 2006!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lordi

Argh!

?

muiny

The Music Game
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2006, 04:20:08 PM »
i like the sandman because it sounds cool

what about anthem by blink 182

The Music Game
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2006, 04:57:30 PM »
Quote from: "cheesejoff"
Woot! Joe Satriani! Of course I like him! What guitarist doesn't!?!

For all the technical skills he possesses he is boring as hell and lacks passion.

The Music Game
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2006, 05:05:53 PM »
Blink 182 is corporate constructed punk rock. However, they aren't even that annoying compared to the 100s of bands that came after them that sound exactly like them.  If you want to be Mainstream punk you basically follow a well defined formula, its been that way for years.

How about The Stone Roses.
or Godspeed you black emperor.

?

Cinlef

• The Elder Ones
  • The Earth is a Sphere
The Music Game
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2006, 06:05:17 PM »
The Darkness in general
Dinner Lady Arms in specific
A song loving
Cinlef
Truth is great and will prevail-Thomas Jefferson

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Cinlef is the bestest!

Melior est sapientia quam vires-Wisdom

?

6strings

• The Elder Ones
The Music Game
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2006, 03:48:48 PM »
Alight, I know this thread has been dead for a while, but I really enjoyed it, so I'd like to bring it back.

First to deal with the bigoted responses that horrified me so much that I didn't post here after it:

[Of Satriani]For all the technical skills he possesses he is boring as hell and lacks passion.

This is just an opinion, and an ill founded one at that.  I\ll concede that some of his songs are long-winded, and some are overly technical, but go watch the man in concert and then come back and tell me he lacks passion.  It may not be the obvious and overt kind of passion you're used to seeing musicians express, but his music exudes passion.

Next,
Blink 182 is corporate constructed punk rock. However, they aren't even that annoying compared to the 100s of bands that came after them that sound exactly like them. If you want to be Mainstream punk you basically follow a well defined formula, its been that way for years.

Look, I hate Blink 182 also, but that's because as musicians, they're fairly worthless (I'm sorry, but if you get a custom guitar made without a tone knob because you never change your tone, you really aren't trying to express yourself in any meaningful way), but to insult their originality by labeling them "corporate constructed" is going too far; no label signed them and said "You're playing this, go.", they did it all themselves, and, like them or not, you have to respect that.
Since you didn't bother to evaluate any of the songs prior to you, but just chose to slur the artists, I'm ignoring your songs.

Muiny:  Personally, I don't like blink all that much...if you hadn't read the last paragraph, but Anthem is fairly catchy, I'll give it that.  MY problem with it, and Blink songs in general, is that they just aren't all that interesting, musically speaking, and I find myself getting bored of them quickly.

As for Cinlef: Yes, The Darkness are good, although I'm not particularily fond of "Dinner Lady Arms", for some reason his voice in that song grates on my nerves...I don't know why.

And now the song I'd like to share:
Derek Trucks' version of Layla.  This guy is on tour with Clapton, and people are calling him the next Duane Allman, he's really slick.

?

joffenz

• The Elder Ones
The Music Game
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2006, 02:59:46 AM »
On a music related note...I'm doing music at school and because of budget cuts this year the musical grades have gone down by one, so I'm doing exactly what I did last year but getting a higher mark :p Biggest. Skive. Ever.

Also I hear the new Iron Maiden album is coming out around september...I can't wait to hear it, apparently the triple guitar harmonies are amazing :)

The Music Game
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2006, 04:45:19 AM »
Ride of the valkyries.
-ujb.

?

6strings

• The Elder Ones
The Music Game
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2006, 01:43:44 PM »
On a music related note...I'm doing music at school and because of budget cuts this year the musical grades have gone down by one, so I'm doing exactly what I did last year but getting a higher mark :p Biggest. Skive. Ever.

Nice.  Music class is the biggest joke ever; you play music and call it school.  It's like getting paid to have sex...wait, that's prostitution...scratch that.

Also I hear the new Iron Maiden album is coming out around september...I can't wait to hear it, apparently the triple guitar harmonies are amazing :)

Yeah, I heard that too, it'll definately be good...also, aren't the guitar harmonies always amazing?

Ride of the valkyries.
-ujb.

The only part of this that surprises me is that Dionysios didn't post a Wagner piece sooner...
As performed by which orchestra?

?

joffenz

• The Elder Ones
The Music Game
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2006, 02:46:29 AM »
Quote from: "6strings"

Nice.  Music class is the biggest joke ever; you play music and call it school.  It's like getting paid to have sex...wait, that's prostitution...scratch that.

:P Even better I get to choose my own pieces this year...I would attempt some dragonforce but realistically you'd need to be a God to play it.

Quote from: "6strings"
Yeah, I heard that too, it'll definately be good...also, aren't the guitar harmonies always amazing?

Even more amazing than usual. :) Also hopefully they will do some double solos (duo's?) like on the trooper live in Rock in Rio.

?

cizzydo

The Music Game
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2006, 06:22:21 AM »
Godspeed! You Black Emperor are musically one of the greatest things i've ever heard, an amazing band, so upset that i missed them play my home town about 5 years ago.