Which way is up again?

• 252 Replies
?

omgcitrus

• Philosophy is life
Re: Which way is up again?
« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2007, 05:14:05 PM »
That argument is REALLY weak.
It's all about gravity, which has to exist. (Without gravity, you wouldn't be standing/sitting right now.)
When bubbles go up, they're simply going away from the earth, making it have to do with gravity. I just explained why gravity must exist.
Therefore it's possible for the earth to be round.
In fact, it's impossible for the earth to be flat. I wonder what the side would look like? Or what would happen when you got to the edge?
Hmm. Nobody's ever fallen off the earth.. making no edge. People have literally visited every place on earth. That needs to confirmation. Maybe not every square inch, but ever general area.
I've never met anyone as big an idiot as you people.

?

silverhammermba

• Anger makes me debate. Debating makes me angry.
« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2007, 06:00:06 PM »
Narcberry is either:

A) Not really an FE'er. He's just messing with everyone by posting blatantly flawed arguments and then stubbornly defending them with equally flawed reasoning

B) A complete moron who can't understand that "up" is relative. Bubbles move because they are contained in a more dense substance - which means that you'd see the same behavior in either model.

A or B, the conclusion is still JUST STOP ARGUING WITH HIM. He's never going to give up on his position either way.
Quote from: Kasroa
Tom usually says at this point that people have seen the ice-wall. It is the Ross Ice Shelf. That usually kills the conversation by the power of sheer bull-shit alone.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
  • GPS does not require satellites.
« Reply #62 on: April 10, 2007, 07:21:10 PM »

It's all about gravity, which has to exist. (Without gravity, you wouldn't be standing/sitting right now.)
Gravity does not exist.  All that is required is gravitation.

When bubbles go up, they're simply going away from the earth, making it have to do with gravity. I just explained why gravity must exist.
Bubbles so up, therefore, gravity must exist.  Wow, stellar argument.

In fact, it's impossible for the earth to be flat.
Ok...why?

Nobody's ever fallen off the earth.. making no edge.
How would you know someone has not fallen off the earth?  Are they somehow going to come back and tell you about it?

I've never met anyone as big an idiot as you people.
I agree.  RE'ers just keep getting dumber.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 07:44:24 PM by TheEngineer »

"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson

?

DakaSha

• I'm so obviously gay
« Reply #63 on: April 10, 2007, 07:40:07 PM »
you know the thing is you guys can twist physics so that that its possible for the earth to be flat in that (and only that) single situation. now if you would take all that physics twisting and try to write it into a single semi-omnipotent formula the equation would be something like: "E=MC Ima stupid fuck"

what im trying to say is if you want to prove that the earth is flat then get some dude who understands physics and (of course) higher math and have said dude put it in numbers. being the stupid fuck that i am i wouldnt understand it but if it lays all the (accepted) work people have produced in the last 500 years to shame then you could probably make the other 6.6 billion people on the planet believe you... as long as nasa doesnt start some major propaganda.

just please dont say: "OMG!!1!! the ground is flat!!! the earth is flat!!1!!! my shoes are flat!1!!1 ive got a limp dick and women have made my life a living hell so i hate them but the bubbles go up in china!11!!!!"

edit: btw we had some bubbles today. they rocked. they went all brownian motion on us but they led us to the theory that soap is actually magical and produces spheres. since we are REers... wierd i know... they led us to the belief that the earth must be made of soap. i have a friend who can prove it too
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 07:43:57 PM by DakaSha »

I know the waterfalls shadow is wrong. Eat a dick you fuckin know-it-all :P
A Genius: PBF

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #64 on: July 21, 2007, 12:19:58 AM »
Hey, narcberry, remember this ingenious proof?  :D
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

« Reply #65 on: July 21, 2007, 07:03:22 AM »
[

Ok...why?

In the Discussion & Debate section, I have made two new posts on phenomena which I believe is unexplained by a flat Earth. Please comment on them.

I see a lot of FE'ers giving a scenario which is possible but highly unlikely (ie. an ice wall kept secret, a government conspiracy, et cetera). This doesn't disprove the FE theory, it just makes it unlikely and a weak, though possible, theory. However, if I can provide phenomena which cannot be explained by FE theory, then it becomes practically impossible. Do you agree?

narcberry

• Official Flat Earth Society Spokesman/min
« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2007, 01:34:07 PM »
Hey, narcberry, remember this ingenious proof?  :D

It's a straw of irrefutable evidence in the haystack of my posts.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2007, 01:35:35 PM »
It certainly is.

narcberry

« Reply #68 on: July 24, 2007, 02:28:56 PM »
[

Ok...why?

In the Discussion & Debate section, I have made two new posts on phenomena which I believe is unexplained by a flat Earth. Please comment on them.

I see a lot of FE'ers giving a scenario which is possible but highly unlikely (ie. an ice wall kept secret, a government conspiracy, et cetera). This doesn't disprove the FE theory, it just makes it unlikely and a weak, though possible, theory. However, if I can provide phenomena which cannot be explained by FE theory, then it becomes practically impossible. Do you agree?

I agree that your up and my up are identical.

?

∂G/∂x

• All Rights Reversed
« Reply #69 on: July 24, 2007, 06:31:19 PM »
My up is different from you guys though.
Quote from: Tom Bishop
The universe has already expanded forever

Quote from: Proverbs 24:17
Rejoice not when thine enemy falleth, and let not thine heart be glad when he stumbleth.

« Reply #70 on: July 24, 2007, 06:33:26 PM »

Narc's up is kinda weird. Like, if you're on RE, down in Australia, up is towards the North Pole, so you fall off of the Earth. I swear that's not the same up as mine.

?

∂G/∂x

• All Rights Reversed
« Reply #71 on: July 24, 2007, 06:35:22 PM »
Apparently 'up' is an absolute direction.
Quote from: Tom Bishop
The universe has already expanded forever

Quote from: Proverbs 24:17
Rejoice not when thine enemy falleth, and let not thine heart be glad when he stumbleth.

narcberry

« Reply #72 on: September 02, 2007, 08:19:38 PM »

Narc's up is kinda weird. Like, if you're on RE, down in Australia, up is towards the North Pole, so you fall off of the Earth. I swear that's not the same up as mine.

Well If I say I'm looking 'up', what direction is that to you?

?

TheRationalTheist

« Reply #73 on: September 28, 2007, 11:44:00 AM »
1: A bubble will go up in China
2: A bubble will go up in the United States
3: If the earth is round, bubbles will rise outwards from the earth
4: Since bubbles always rise up, the earth cannot be round

Um...I am not sure what to say, you don't seem to have much knowledge of gravity.
1. A bubble is lighter then/light as air.
2. The bubble does move outwards from the earth going "up" as you said (up is relative to where you are standing).

Conclusion
Your proof is faulty and based on flawed reasoning since your proof for a flat earth proves earth is round.

Yours sincerely, The Rational Theist

« Reply #74 on: September 29, 2007, 06:42:34 PM »

Yes, that explains why the chinese have been falling down into space for the last few centuries, thank you for avoiding the laws of physics, and of course, logic, once again
No problem solved in the least--and you only had to eliminate an entire continent to fail to accomplish it.

narcberry

« Reply #75 on: October 02, 2007, 07:59:14 AM »

Yes, that explains why the chinese have been falling down into space for the last few centuries, thank you for avoiding the laws of physics, and of course, logic, once again

Or it explains how the earth MUST be flat.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #76 on: October 02, 2007, 09:39:30 PM »
Why is it that threads get locked left and right on this forum but Narcberry's bullshit always seems able to stay open?  ???

narcberry

« Reply #77 on: August 04, 2008, 11:49:21 PM »
Insults wont conjure a round earth. I stand confident in my assertion as no RE'er has rationally objected.

?

dyno

« Reply #78 on: August 05, 2008, 12:07:31 AM »
Narc you are totally wrong.
Here in Australia the bubbles go up so I know with you in the US the bubbles go down. Stop lying.

WIN FOR RE..

That was about on the level for you right?

narcberry

« Reply #79 on: August 05, 2008, 12:15:54 AM »
I'm curious. If you are reading a book and they say the word "up", do you need to know their position on the earth to understand what direction that is?

So next time someone says, "I looked up," please ask the obvious RE followup question, "what was your latitude and longitude at the time?"

?

dyno

« Reply #80 on: August 05, 2008, 12:19:57 AM »
If you are standing back to back with my and I say walk to your left. Will you be upset when I clout you over the head for walking in the wrong direction?

I don't know how much further we can break it down for you Narc. We must just about be at the Planck limit here.

narcberry

« Reply #81 on: August 05, 2008, 12:21:29 AM »
Thanks for avoiding the question. Good to see you at least possess the wit to know a losing battle when presented with one.

?

dyno

« Reply #82 on: August 05, 2008, 12:26:01 AM »
I thought you would be all for me posting in kind? ???

In answer to your question, no. Up is always towards the sky.

You can make a bubble go towards the ground if you accelerate a container of water up fast enough. Does that change the direction of up?

narcberry

« Reply #83 on: August 05, 2008, 12:29:19 AM »
So, in order for you to understand what is meant by up, you need an absolute position on the surface of earth.

How does up work when on the moon or mars? Is it still towards the earth sky? Or did you mean away from the earths core? Does that mean 'up' is an absolute direction for all celestial bodies except the earth? Why is earth the only place where 'up' has a relative meaning? Does RE hold that the earth is the only spherical object?

I'm truly confused by your silly assertions. Please answer as many questions as you know how, or 2, whichever is greater.

?

dyno

« Reply #84 on: August 05, 2008, 12:46:54 AM »
No, your position isn't required to be understood. "Up" is term for human orientation.
Up can work however you want it to.
If you want.
No.
No.
Because of the people using the word.
No.

Would you rather talk coordinates and vectors?

What is so silly here?

narcberry

« Reply #85 on: August 05, 2008, 10:53:47 AM »
What is so silly is that RE'ers hold that 'up' is both:
1) simple
2) works however you want it to

By those definitions, I've used it consistently with RE or FE.

« Reply #86 on: August 05, 2008, 12:05:30 PM »
What is so silly is that RE'ers hold that 'up' is both:
1) simple
2) works however you want it to

By those definitions, I've used it consistently with RE or FE.
up is just a word, as has been stated before if you are going to do it for real then you would use vectors and coordinates. "Up" usually denotes which way will give me a positive answer. I could make "up" point at my feet and then release a helium balloon and its displacement would be negative instead of positive
Only 2 things are infinite the universe and human stupidity, but I am not sure about the former.

lindelof

• DADA IS NOT DEAD. WATCH YOUR OVERCOAT.
« Reply #87 on: August 05, 2008, 02:22:22 PM »

1: Bob's right hand is on his right.
2: Ted's right hand is to his right.
3: If they were facing different directions, their hands would be in different directions.
4: As their hands are both on their right they are facing the same way.

This argument can be used on any pair of people, therefore all people are facing the same direction.

Q.E.D.

narcberry

« Reply #88 on: August 05, 2008, 03:58:24 PM »
up is just a word

Earth is just a word...

@lindorf,
We're talking about 'up'. This is quite obvious from the many posts prior to you poorly applied analogy.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 06:25:38 PM by narcberry »

?

dyno

« Reply #89 on: August 05, 2008, 04:58:39 PM »
No Narc

Earth is the name of physical object.

Up is the word for a concept.