Which way is up again?

• 252 Replies

narcberry

• Official Flat Earth Society Spokesman/min
Re: Which way is up again?
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2007, 02:06:32 PM »
And how do you determine "up" in that room?

Thanks, now that is the correct question.

Much like a pilot, we have no way of knowing without instrumentation. In fact, you're question could have been, if you are in a cockpit and flying through very thick fog, how do you tell which way is up?

narcberry

« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2007, 02:07:45 PM »
If the spherical Earth travelled in the same way as a flat earth then yes the bubbles would go 'up' but then again, everything in China would fall off, water would run off and we'd all be pretty screwed, which, by the way IT DOESN'T!

That is because China and the United States are both on the topside of the flat earth.

CommonCents

• ^_^
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2007, 02:09:16 PM »
#1 you didn't answer the question
#2 no I couldn't ask it that way because even flying like that...as long as you're not trying to fake 0g....you can drop something and see where it falls....I asked it very specifically for a reason.
OMG!

narcberry

« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2007, 02:23:17 PM »
#1 you didn't answer the question
#2 no I couldn't ask it that way because even flying like that...as long as you're not trying to fake 0g....you can drop something and see where it falls....I asked it very specifically for a reason.

I did answer it. There is no way of knowing without instrumentation.

As far as the plane, pilots are required to understand certain instruments in order to fly through some types of clouds/fog/weather. This is since they cannot "drop something and see where it falls." There are many scenarios that pilots encounter daily where they could not tell you which way is up without their instrumentation. It's the same problem, just minus the leading questions.

CommonCents

• ^_^
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2007, 02:39:11 PM »
In my scenario even  with instrumentation you wouldn't be able to find an up or a down...so which way is up?
OMG!

narcberry

« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2007, 02:44:49 PM »
In my scenario even  with instrumentation you wouldn't be able to find an up or a down...so which way is up?
Up, clearly.

CommonCents

• ^_^
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2007, 02:49:08 PM »
And with that last piece of truly useless information I officially know that narcberry is only full of shit.  Posts by narcberry can forever be ignored since (s)he doesn't know what (s)he's talking about.
OMG!

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2007, 02:49:32 PM »
Do you actually not understand the question, narcberry, or is your constant thick-headedness to mask that you don't have a credible answer?
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

narcberry

« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2007, 02:51:08 PM »
No, you two just assume that I approach things from a round earth perspective like you do. For me, up is an absolute direction. But you think I'm being ignorant by not seeing things the way you do.

CommonCents

• ^_^
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2007, 03:03:14 PM »
OK...If you were to go on the other side of the ice wall, and the Earth accelerates out of view...and the UA doesn't affect you because it's so awesomely magical...and you were tumbling around so you don't know which way the Earth went...Which way is Up?   This one's worded in FE so no more of your bullshit.
OMG!

« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2007, 03:24:25 PM »
I suppose you could look around and see which direction things are moving when they pass you to determine "up". This is what an FE'r would say i think.

narcberry

« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2007, 03:55:17 PM »
I'm not being rediculous. Under your hypothetical, I can see what you mean about up. However, that is not what we are talking about. We are speaking exclusively about the surface of the earth.

?

Bushido

« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2007, 04:28:44 PM »
Narcberry is right, up is up in a plane and is determined by an instrument called artificial horizon (or attitude indicator, AI). It is essentially a gyroscope which keeps its orientation in space regardless of the aircraft's movement.

I wonder, though, how is the AI showing up when a plane goes from USA to China (aka Indian Ocean or Australia as the other side of the world)?

?

∂G/∂x

• All Rights Reversed
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2007, 04:32:25 PM »
I'm sure you agree that 'up' is the opposite of 'down' and that all things fall 'down'. What you seem to (quite amazingly) be missing is that on a Real Round Earth the terms up and down are relative not absolute. We are quite aware that in FE up is an absolute term, but to use that fact as a prove of flat Earth means you are saying:

1. If the Earth is flat, 'up' is an absolute direction.
2. Bubbles should always go 'up'
3. Bubbles do always rise from the ground, going apparently 'up'
4. This 'up' is absolute, and therefore the same direction everywhere.
5. On a Round Earth this would lead to bubbles going into the ground.
6. Bubbles don't go into the ground.
7. Round earth is false.

But your fault is in point 4, where you have assumed what you are trying to prove, reducing your 'proof' to:

"The Earth is flat, therefore the Earth is flat."

Compelling in its simplicity, but a sad logical fallacy.

Edit: That last line has become my new poem about Flat Earth. It's called 'Narcproof'.
Quote from: Tom Bishop
The universe has already expanded forever

Quote from: Proverbs 24:17
Rejoice not when thine enemy falleth, and let not thine heart be glad when he stumbleth.

?

Bushido

« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2007, 04:54:46 PM »
My question is ilustrated with this sketch:

Can someone please explain how the gyro works? Cause this may be a way to test if the Earth is flat or round!

narcberry

« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2007, 05:00:33 PM »

Can someone please explain how the gyro works? Cause this may be a way to test if the Earth is flat or round!

That would be interesting.

?

∂G/∂x

• All Rights Reversed
« Reply #46 on: April 09, 2007, 05:02:29 PM »
Question dodger.....answer my question! In your own time of course, I'm not impatient, but don't think I'll forget if you leave it til later!

Rejoice not when thine enemy falleth, and let not thine heart be glad when he stumbleth.

narcberry

« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2007, 05:13:36 PM »
Question dodger.....answer my question! In your own time of course, I'm not impatient, but don't think I'll forget if you leave it til later!

I dodged nothing. Where is this question?

?

∂G/∂x

• All Rights Reversed
« Reply #48 on: April 09, 2007, 05:17:10 PM »
The question is, what is up with that glaring logical inconsistency in your argument I posted a couple of posts up? And by what is up with it I mean explain it or fix it...cos it's just not right!

narcberry

« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2007, 05:25:03 PM »
The question is, what is up with that glaring logical inconsistency in your argument I posted a couple of posts up? And by what is up with it I mean explain it or fix it...cos it's just not right!

I skipped an implied step.

?

∂G/∂x

• All Rights Reversed
« Reply #50 on: April 09, 2007, 05:27:15 PM »
I implied a skipped step, but that doesnt make me right! What the hell does that mean anyway? Explain youself! In fact, when you have the time, do me the honour of telling me what step this was, or even re-writing the argument as a logical sequence so we can all see its wonderful fault-free beauty and bask in the warm glow of our new knowledge.

?

akira

• Round Earth Proponent
« Reply #51 on: April 09, 2007, 06:00:44 PM »

That would be interesting.

Let's keep this one up-to-date until we're sent back to the FAQ.
GPS does not require satellites, fortunately it uses it.

CommonCents

• ^_^
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2007, 07:09:15 AM »
Everyone bitches about wiki but what the hell

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyrocompass
Another, more practical, method is to use weights to force the axis of the compass to remain horizontal with respect to the Earth's surface, but otherwise allow it to rotate freely within that plane. In this case, gravity will apply a torque forcing the compass's axis toward true north. Because the weights will confine the compass's axis to be horizontal with respect to the Earth's surface, the axis can never align with the Earth's axis (except on the Equator) and must realign itself as the Earth rotates. But with respect to the Earth's surface, the compass will appear to be stationary and pointing along the Earth's surface toward the true North Pole.

I quoted that part because it explains how the gyrocompass stays horizontal to the surface
OMG!

« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2007, 09:41:48 AM »
No, you two just assume that I approach things from a round earth perspective like you do. For me, up is an absolute direction. But you think I'm being ignorant by not seeing things the way you do.

That works the other way around too:
you just assume that we approach things from a flat earth perspective like you do. For us, up isn't an absolute direction. But you think we are being ignorant by not seeing things the way you do.
RE= REALITY

FE= FAKE

narcberry

« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2007, 09:43:27 AM »

you just assume that we approach things from a flat earth perspective like you do. For us, up isn't an absolute direction. But you think we are being ignorant by not seeing things the way you do.

Incorrect, I wasn't dismissing people because of their beliefs.

« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2007, 11:40:58 AM »
Again the pic that tells it all @,@!

have fun.

narcberry

« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2007, 01:22:05 PM »
Perhaps you should argue which colors are present. You know, something you can wrap your head around.

Midnight

• RE/FE Apathetic.
« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2007, 01:27:54 PM »

Incorrect, I wasn't dismissing people because of their beliefs.

Now you're just lying. Pathetic.
My problem with his ideas is that it is a ridiculous thing.

Genius. PURE, undiluted genius.

?

∂G/∂x

• All Rights Reversed
« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2007, 04:08:02 PM »
Narcberry stop saying people are stupid when you're struggling to understand how 'up' for me and you can be different.....even if you don't believe it is you can't seem to even understand how it could be. It doesn't take a genius so don't look down on other peoples intelligence, it doesn't do your illustrious reputation any credit.

?

Bushido

« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2007, 04:08:56 PM »
The only way is UP, baby, ...  ;D