Why must the bible be taken literally?

• 58 Replies

HellboundGreaser

• Clever bastard
Re: Why must the bible be taken literally?
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2007, 10:01:47 AM »
And Elvis so loved the world that he died, fat and bloated, in a bathroom.
     He very pointedly did not rise from the dead three days later, but was nonetheless seen across the world by various and sundry housewives.
      Create your own Ain't Nuthin' Butta Hound-Dogmas, but be sure to stay out of the Sacred Heartbreak Hotel, where damned souls twinkle like stars in the night, each a Hunka Hunka Burnin' Love.
      ``Return, we beseech the, O Lord of Hostess: look down from Heaven, and behold, and visit this mall...''
Darling facist bully boy, give me some more you bastard, may seed of your loin be fruitful in the belly of your woman.

« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2007, 01:17:55 PM »
I think a better question is "how can a person be a Christian and not take the Bible literally?"

If you believe that God exists, and your evidence for that is the Bible, how can you accept that part as being true, but not accept other parts.  Either the bible is correct, and God does exist, or it is false and the God described in the Bible does not exist.

Well, to put it simply; the Bible was written by man. And man is nowhere near perfect. How can God (a perfect being) and his teachings truly be understood/interpreted by such simple creatures?

If God is perfect, why isn't the work he inspires also perfect?  Clearly if he inspires imperfect work, he is not perfect...

That is a great question. You might want to ask a very religious person it. I am not religious, but I did grow up as a Catholic, so I'll try my best to answer you.
God inspires Man. Man is nowhere near perfect. No matter how much inspiration God gives to Man, it isn't enough, because Man still has his faults, and plenty of them. Man will never be perfect, nor can he. It is impossible for Man to accomplish perfection... it is even impossible for Man to even conjure up the idea of a perfect world. Try yourself... it would never happen because of the faults of Man.
God also gave Man the ability to choose. With the simple mind Man has, is it no wonder God's perfect inspiration has yet to be accomplished? The choice from Man to choose power and wealth over compassion and love only shows how imperfect we are. The imperfection of Man is also magnified by temptation from the Devil. (Remember, this is what I've learned, not what I believe)

I can try to answer other question about my post if you need me to.
Best SNL skit ever: " class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">

I predict Michale Crichton's next book will be based on the Flat Earth Society.

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2007, 02:38:46 AM »
I think people just get confused about it, they try and use religeon to explain HOW the universe works, that's not the point in any faith. Science and religeon answer two entirely different questions, one asks How? and the other asks Why?

My own personal belief is that no-one can get to God through literal organised religion, the path to spiprituality is one which must be walked alone.

beast

« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2007, 05:48:57 AM »
I disagree.  There are countless examples of religion saying "this is how the world is" and then science proving it wrong.  Incidentally there are no examples of religion proving science wrong.

The difference between science and religion is not that they deal with different issues, but rather one says; "You must have evidence to back up your claims," and the other says; "You can claim whatever you want without any evidence at all."

The fact is that nobody can get to God through any kind of religion, because God does not exist, unless you redefine God as something else; which is what religion is all about, coming up with your own view of the world and ignoring evidence and convention.

cmdshft

• The Elder Ones
  • swiggity swooty
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2007, 06:46:43 AM »
I think that this sums it up nicely:

« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2007, 07:11:33 AM »
I think that this sums it up nicely:

That picture is almost as bad as this site. Seriously.

Masterchef

• Rabble rabble rabble
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2007, 07:34:41 AM »
That site is actually a real Christian evangelist site.

« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2007, 09:17:10 AM »

Um, are we having a state the obvious constant or something? I was comparing how that picture displayed biased and false information about Chrisitans, just like that site provides false information and a very biased veiw on Athethists and the likes.

Masterchef

• Rabble rabble rabble
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2007, 09:27:06 AM »
Um, are we having a state the obvious constant or something?
Yes we are, and I win.

« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2007, 09:28:51 AM »
Um, are we having a state the obvious constant or something?
Yes we are, and I win.

You lost because it's obvious that I always win.

dysfunction

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2007, 10:06:05 AM »

Um, are we having a state the obvious constant or something? I was comparing how that picture displayed biased and false information about Chrisitans, just like that site provides false information and a very biased veiw on Athethists and the likes.

But that picture doesn't say anything about Christians; all it says is that the Bible is fiction (which I'll grant isn't proven, but there's no good reason to think otherwise), and that it contains morally objectionable and potentially traumatizing content (which is not debatable).
the cake is a lie

« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2007, 08:01:57 AM »

But that picture doesn't say anything about Christians; all it says is that the Bible is fiction (which I'll grant isn't proven, but there's no good reason to think otherwise), and that it contains morally objectionable and potentially traumatizing content (which is not debatable).

That was stupid of me, you're right. But it's still equally bad as that evangelist site. You don't see it?

dysfunction

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2007, 09:09:02 AM »
Not really. I mean yes, if they wanted the government to mandate placing that sticker on bibles. But they don't; it's simply a counterpoint to the 'disclaimer' stickers about evolution being 'just a theory' Cobb County was putting on biology textbooks. It's a parody.
the cake is a lie

« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2007, 10:37:08 AM »
Not really. I mean yes, if they wanted the government to mandate placing that sticker on bibles. But they don't; it's simply a counterpoint to the 'disclaimer' stickers about evolution being 'just a theory' Cobb County was putting on biology textbooks. It's a parody.

A parody which narrowminds don't understand. Aka me.

« Reply #44 on: April 13, 2007, 11:03:32 AM »
To answer the question "Why must the Bible be taken literally?"

I think a better question is "how can a person be a Christian and not take the Bible literally?"

If you believe that God exists, and your evidence for that is the Bible, how can you accept that part as being true, but not accept other parts.  Either the bible is correct, and God does exist, or it is false and the God described in the Bible does not exist.

If you agree with the teachings of Jesus, then surely you have to agree with all the teachings, or are you happy to admit that Jesus was wrong about some things?  For example Jesus says  'Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law of Moses or the Prophets. I have not come to abolish them, but to fulfill them.' - Matthew 5:17

Jesus is saying that what is written in the old testament is true.  If he is wrong about that, how do you know he's not wrong about other things?  How can you believe only the teachings you agree with, and if you do, are you following Jesus, or are you following yourself?

If Jesus is right, then do you agree that it is a sin to pick up sticks on a Sunday, or is it more likely that the whole book is mythology and should not be used as a moral guide, or as truth.

People shouldn't even 'follow' a book, they should think for themselves.

Midnight

• RE/FE Apathetic.
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2007, 06:34:49 PM »
But that requires thought. We frown on that. Really. The conspiracy can't have people thinking, or all HELL breaks loose.
My problem with his ideas is that it is a ridiculous thing.

Genius. PURE, undiluted genius.

Masterchef

• Rabble rabble rabble
« Reply #46 on: April 13, 2007, 06:36:30 PM »
People shouldn't even 'follow' a book, they should think for themselves.
Hitler used to think for himself. You don't want to be like Hitler, do you?

Midnight

• RE/FE Apathetic.
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2007, 09:15:21 PM »
And the Hitler card is played again  ::)

Dioptimus Drime

• Meep.
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2007, 09:22:26 PM »
'Twas a joke, methinks. Hitler was silly.

~D-Draw

?

BOGWarrior89

• We are as one.
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2007, 09:26:57 PM »
And the Hitler card is played again  ::)

You're a Hitler card!

cmdshft

• The Elder Ones
  • swiggity swooty
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2007, 05:36:54 AM »

« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2007, 09:18:25 AM »
quot;Pleasure for man, is not a luxury, but a profound psychological need."
-Nathaniel Branden

Masterchef

• Rabble rabble rabble
« Reply #53 on: April 14, 2007, 12:25:09 PM »

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #54 on: April 14, 2007, 02:20:05 PM »

That site is actually a parody, it just doesn't do a very good job of making it obvious.

quot;Pleasure for man, is not a luxury, but a profound psychological need."
-Nathaniel Branden

Midnight

• RE/FE Apathetic.
« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2007, 11:09:35 AM »

« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2011, 12:08:40 AM »
...... and believing that earth is 6000 years old and that Man lived with dinosaurs.
7519 not 6000

Creation of Adam until Great Flood  2262
Great Flood until Sons of Israel 1632
Sons of Israel until Building Temple in the 4th year of Solomn 601
Building Temple until Slavery 424
Slavery until Birth of God 589
TOTAL OF 5508  + 2011 = 7519