A Spheres Curve

• 31 Replies

narcberry

• Official Flat Earth Society Spokesman/min
A Spheres Curve
« on: April 04, 2007, 03:49:01 PM »
I keep hearing that a spheres curve is less and less pronounced the larger the sphere is. At what point do RE'ers stop extending the size of the sphere? As long as the sphere keeps getting bigger and bigger, it becomes more and more flat. Meaning, as earths radius approaches infinity, the world becomes flat.

So really, if they keep going on in this way, they will soon believe in a flat earth like us. So I propose we no longer interfere with RE'ers, since they will convince themselves.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
Re: A Spheres Curve
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 04:08:07 PM »
No.  As the sphere gets bigger and bigger, the flatter its surface appears.  And even if you were right, and it kept getting flatter the closer you get to infinity, then it would only actually be flat at the point of infinity (which of course is absurd).

Basic calculus.  Pwned!
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

Ulrichomega

• Bring it Bishop.
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 04:15:46 PM »
Since when do RE'ers believe that the earth is getting bigger and bigger/we say in our arguement that it is getting bigger and bigger.
I'm so tempted to put a scratch and sniff at the bottom of a pool and see what you do...

Avert your eyes, this is too awesome for them...

?

BOGWarrior89

• We are as one.
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 04:29:51 PM »
Since when do RE'ers believe that the earth is getting bigger and bigger/we say in our arguement that it is getting bigger and bigger.

That's not what he meant - when you look at a sphere on increasingly smaller distance scales, it appears to be getting flatter and flatter (aka, linearization).

YL Groper

• Supreme Allied Commander of a local N.I.G.G.A.
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 04:36:21 PM »
Please consult the book: Everybody poops
N.I.G.G.A. stole my bike, sir!

~D-Draw

N.I.G.G.A. Saved me alot of money on my car insurance.

?

BOGWarrior89

• We are as one.
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2007, 04:42:26 PM »
Please consult the book: Everybody poops

1)  Wrong thread.
2)  PointlessPostCount++;

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2007, 04:51:19 PM »
I keep hearing that a spheres curve is less and less pronounced the larger the sphere is. At what point do RE'ers stop extending the size of the sphere? As long as the sphere keeps getting bigger and bigger, it becomes more and more flat. Meaning, as earths radius approaches infinity, the world becomes flat.

So really, if they keep going on in this way, they will soon believe in a flat earth like us. So I propose we no longer interfere with RE'ers, since they will convince themselves.

Why would the earth become infinite?  If you start at one point on a sphere, you can go around it in a line (with no change in direction) and get back to that point.  So again, why would it be infinite?

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2007, 05:08:43 PM »

Why would the earth become infinite?  If you start at one point on a sphere, you can go around it in a line (with no change in direction) and get back to that point.  So again, why would it be infinite?
Actually, I believe if you start at one point on a sphere, and go around in a line with no change in direction, then you go off into space.
As I said in another thread...

Forget "Earth: Not a Globe". Why don't you try reading "Earth: Not a Book, the Real Thing".

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2007, 05:14:39 PM »

Actually, I believe if you start at one point on a sphere, and go around in a line with no change in direction, then you go off into space.

Oh, I'm sorry my wording was wrong.  I'll leave it as it is, as I believe most people will understand what I mean.

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007, 05:17:18 PM »

Oh, I'm sorry my wording was wrong.  I'll leave it as it is, as I believe most people will understand what I mean.
I fully understand what you meant; you meant to curve with the surface of the globe. This, however, is impossible in the real world, as the real world is indeed flat.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 05:36:17 PM by Vilkata »

Forget "Earth: Not a Globe". Why don't you try reading "Earth: Not a Book, the Real Thing".

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2007, 05:34:25 PM »

We don't make up physics.  All planets have a certain size.  They dont need to be infinite. 
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2007, 05:37:11 PM »

We don't make up physics.  All planets have a certain size.  They dont need to be infinite. 
Sure, they dont need to be, but who says they are not? (or are, for that matter?)

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2007, 05:38:24 PM »

Sure, they dont need to be, but who says they are not? (or are, for that matter?)

People who have seen them.

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2007, 05:39:34 PM »

And besides pictures from NASA and the like, have you seen any of the planets?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 05:43:28 PM by Vilkata »

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2007, 05:42:05 PM »

Holy shit, say somthing instead of repeating everything.

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2007, 05:51:05 PM »

I saw a planet with my own eyes. It wasnt infinite. 
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2007, 05:54:12 PM »

Anyone who has even "kinda" browsed this site will know that the Earth and the other planets are not the same. And, if you would reread the first post, you may see that the topic of this debate is the Earth. And I doubt sincerely that you have seen the Earth as a whole at any one point. The impossibility of space travel makes this impossible.

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2007, 05:57:44 PM »

Anyone who has even "kinda" browsed this site will know that the Earth and the other planets are not the same. And, if you would reread the first post, you may see that the topic of this debate is the Earth. And I doubt sincerely that you have seen the Earth as a whole at any one point. The impossibility of space travel makes this impossible.

the impossiblility of space traval only exists in your FE theory.  Not in reality.

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2007, 05:59:03 PM »
The impossiblility of space traval only exists in your FE theory.  Not in reality.
Now thats a bit of a self conflicting statement, now isnt it?

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2007, 06:02:14 PM »
The impossiblility of space traval only exists in your FE theory.  Not in reality.

No.  But what's interesting is that on my post I read the starting of my statement as "the", and in your comment it has a capital.  Interesting indeed...

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2007, 06:06:48 PM »

No.  But what's interesting is that on my post I read the starting of my statement as "the", and in your comment it has a capital.  Interesting indeed...
Wow, a capital letter at the beginning of a sentence. possibly when i deleted all of the excess quotes, it was removed as well, and i replaced the one letter, using proper punctuation. I sincerely apologize.

Also, nice way to pull this off onto a meaningless tangent.

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2007, 06:09:54 PM »

Wow, a capital letter at the beginning of a sentence. possibly when i deleted all of the excess quotes, it was removed as well, and i replaced the one letter, using proper punctuation. I sincerely apologize.

Also, nice way to pull this off onto a meaningless tangent.

Well ty.  But does it really matter?  This thread wasn't heading anywhere important was it?

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2007, 06:11:54 PM »
Well ty.  But does it really matter?  This thread wasn't heading anywhere important was it?
At least we agree on something. Then again, not much of a surprise; on this site, most threads do lead nowhere.

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2007, 06:14:04 PM »
At least we agree on something. Then again, not much of a surprise; on this site, most threads do lead nowhere.

A little more than most, being more than most are repeats.  Which means originals that lead to nowhere will have repeats that lead to nowhere.  Great huh?

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2007, 06:15:33 PM »
yeah. Makes for a good way to pass the time tho, i guess.

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2007, 06:16:43 PM »
Or so you think.  You could be improving your life with the time you use on these forums, instead of reading pointless BS.

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2007, 06:20:40 PM »
Quite true. though, when one is looking for a laugh, or a place to just mess with people/argue, this is the place, no argument there; and i spend quite little time on here actually, theres definetly way better things to do.

i also just noted the irony that a comment about going off on tangents, has led to a tangent no where near the OP

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2007, 06:21:56 PM »
Well, what do you expect?

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2007, 06:24:08 PM »
oh, it wasnt a complaint. these threads always go on tangents, and i have nothing better to do atm anyways.

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2007, 06:26:17 PM »
I'm in the same situation.