Bubbles are ROUND

• 25 Replies
Bubbles are ROUND
« on: April 02, 2007, 08:27:56 PM »
Why, you may ask??

Why are they not square or cylinder or pyramidal or FLAT? 

Because matter is lazy.  It takes the easiest shape possible. This is the same reason the earth is round.  Simple.   :D 

?

Gamma

• The Gamma Ray Burst will devour us all.
Re: Bubbles are ROUND
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 08:29:18 PM »
I learned that in this educational movie we watching called EUREKA!.

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 08:31:33 PM »
Gamma, I hope your getting an education somewhere far far away from people like Genesis.  That man is a creep!  (By the way, some of the language in this forum is a bit harsh for your young ears!) 

?

Gamma

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 08:34:29 PM »
I'm used to it, I have a 17 year old brother. He is always on ventrillo yelling at his teamates on this one game. And they will have the occasional argument that I find quite amuzing. My parents are religious and they will let me learn about anything unless it has to do with anti-christ and all of that other stuff.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 08:37:21 PM by Gamma »

?

BOGWarrior89

• We are as one.
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 09:05:13 PM »
Why, you may ask??

Because matter is lazy.  It takes the easiest shape possible. This is the same reason the earth is round.  Simple.   :D 

Air resistance.

?

Gamma

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 09:15:44 PM »
But isn't air resistance the reason a bubble falls slower to the ground than other objects?

?

BOGWarrior89

• We are as one.
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 01:18:46 AM »
But isn't air resistance the reason a bubble falls slower to the ground than other objects?

Spheres are pretty aerodynamic.

EvilToothpaste

• The Reverse Engineer
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2007, 08:26:17 AM »
Why, you may ask??

Is this still true under some kind of acceleration? 

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2007, 08:44:46 AM »
Wouldn't the earth not be round if it didn't spin?

EvilToothpaste

• The Reverse Engineer
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007, 08:49:20 AM »
Wouldn't the earth not be round if it didn't spin?

I don't understand. 

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2007, 08:50:58 AM »
There are 3 negations in the same sentence, try to simplify it a bit
RE= REALITY

FE= FAKE

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2007, 08:54:54 AM »
There are 3 negations in the same sentence, try to simplify it a bit

Haha didn't notice that.  If the earth were to be stationary on it's axis(not spin), than the earth wouldn't be a sphere(it would be some other shape).  True or no?

?

Tom Bishop

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2007, 08:57:51 AM »
1. Bubbles are not the Earth.

2. Spinning would actually compel a malleable object to become flat. Think pizza dough.

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2007, 08:59:05 AM »

2. Spinning would actually compel a malleable object to become flat. Think pizza dough.

Think of gravity countering that.

EvilToothpaste

• The Reverse Engineer
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2007, 09:14:51 AM »

Think of gravity countering that.

Think of a uniform acceleration.

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2007, 10:49:10 AM »
Wasn't it already pointed out that the Earth does not spin at the RPM of a spun pizza dough nor is earth as malleable as pizza dough?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 10:56:31 AM by Tom Bishop »

?

Tom Bishop

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2007, 10:56:17 AM »
Wasn't it already pointed out that the Earth does not spin at the RPM of a spun pizza dough nor is earth as malleable as pizza dough?

1.) Pizza dough doesn't spin constantly for 4.5 billion years.

2.) We don't know exactly how fast the earth was spinning in its early life.

3.) Much of the earth is liquid magma, dirt, sand, and water. Not exactly solid rock.

?

Bushido

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2007, 11:09:36 AM »
     Bubbles are round due to a property of liquids called surface tension. This property can be summarized in the following sentences:

“It takes a certain amount of energy (or mechanical work, which is equivalent) to increase the surface area of a liquid. The energy is proportional to the increase in the surface area of the liquid. The constant of proportionality is called coefficient of surface tension and is a characteristic of the given liquid.”

Now, this means that an energetically favorable (a state with the least possible energy) state of the liquid is a state with the least possible surface area. Please note that this is only true in an absence of an external force field (like gravitational). But, the volume of the liquid is constant. It is a known geometric fact that from all the shapes with a given volume, the spherical has the smallest possible area. Hence, bubbles have a spherical shape.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 11:12:29 AM by Bushido »

EvilToothpaste

• The Reverse Engineer
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2007, 11:11:10 AM »
S-M-R-T!

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2007, 11:38:16 AM »

3.) Much of the earth is liquid magma, dirt, sand, and water. Not exactly solid rock.
1) Given, but that doesn't seem relevant.

2) So... is there a possibility that the Earth began round?

3) Liquids are also irrelevant. If you spin a liquid really fast (like that of spinning pizza dough), like in a disk or blender, the liquid goes to the sides of the disk or blender. Inertia, I believe.

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2007, 02:14:50 PM »

What would cause the earth to slow down in rotation?

?

Bushido

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2007, 03:31:45 PM »
Butts are round too, they are called bubble butts  ;)

narcberry

• Official Flat Earth Society Spokesman/min
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2007, 03:50:33 PM »
Oh simple is now the metric of truth. I love round-earthers, you make my proofs so much easier to generate.

Pennies are flat.
This is because it is simple.
The world is flat.
QED

narcberry

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2007, 03:54:51 PM »
     Bubbles are round due to a property of liquids called surface tension. This property can be summarized in the following sentences:

You're mostly right, except surface tension is a property of water, or more specifically polarized molecules. But surface tension almost exclusively means a property of water. Not any liquid.

?

Bushido

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2007, 03:59:10 PM »
     That is not true! Even gasses have surface tension. It is a consequence of the special position that the molecules from the surface are in. They are attracted from the inside of the fluid (liquid or gas) and this is not balanced from the outer region were there is a lack of molecules.

narcberry

« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2007, 08:42:13 PM »
     That is not true! Even gasses have surface tension. It is a consequence of the special position that the molecules from the surface are in. They are attracted from the inside of the fluid (liquid or gas) and this is not balanced from the outer region were there is a lack of molecules.

I think my correction will only act as a distraction. I was splitting hairs, and I apologize. However, while correct about surface tension across liquids, it is nearly negligeable with the exception of water, methylene iodide, and mercury. Anyhow, this is a little off topic.