Who do i trust....

• 19 Replies
?

Ammo

Who do i trust....
« on: March 28, 2007, 05:33:54 PM »
The few guys who believe in the flat earth based on a 150 year old book...
or
The tens thousands of people that graduate with bachelors/masters/doctorates in physics/astronomy every year...

Oh, I guess every college graduate of a science degree is part of the conspiracy.
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."

Tom has a BS in BS.

?

BloodPigggy

Re: Who do i trust....
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 05:41:03 PM »
Yeah, I gave George Bush some Cheetos as bribery and he told me all about it.
Fish are afraid of shirts, and itchy garments smell like fabric softener, it's all fact but apparently our noses and eyes lie to us because they think we're homosexual fags.
And they're right, we are, even though we have sex with women we are still homosexuals, because they are so right. You believe this? I do, because it makes absolute %100 sense and is totally factual, like when Jesus sacrificed Bazooka Joe with a wooden stick.

Dioptimus Drime

• Meep.
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 07:03:04 PM »
or
The tens thousands of people that graduate with bachelors/masters/doctorates in physics/astronomy every year...

Oh, I guess every college graduate of a science degree is part of the conspiracy.

Argumentum ad verecundiam. Look it up. Not a great argument strategy you got there.

~D-Draw
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 07:49:29 PM by DiegoDraw »

?

Ammo

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 07:28:43 PM »
or

Argumentum ad verecundiam. Look it up. Not a great argument strategy you got there.

~D-Draw

~D-Draw

"Argumentum ad Verecundiam: (authority) the fallacy of appealing to the testimony of an authority outside his special field. "

Since when are people with PhDs in physics and astronomy outside their special fields when talking about astronomy and physics about the RE?

I could just say "argumentum ad verecundiam" whenever you guys refer me to Earth Not a Globe.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 07:36:04 PM by Ammo »

Tom has a BS in BS.

Dioptimus Drime

• Meep.
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 07:56:37 PM »
Mmm...Good job searching Google and picking up the first thing you find, accepting it as truth without question. As well as making yourself look foolish.

Argumentum ad verecundiam is an argument which takes the assumption that one source is better than another source due to its supposed "authority." Appeal to authority is a form of appeal to absurdity because it really has nothing to do with the matter. The fact that a bunch of people (also fitting into the Bandwagon Fallacy) who are apparently more qualified to know about the Earth's shape think that it is round doesn't necessitate the Earth being round. It could POSSIBLY make it more plausible, but even without the necessity, the flat Earth theory tells why so many people believe the Earth is round. And even with more possibility, it doesn't give you an argument. Your logical structure is like this:
A says that B is correct.
C says that D is correct.
A has good qualities about him.
Thus B.

As well:
A is plausible.
Thus A.

Obviously, neither are logical arguments.

~D-Draw

?

Ammo

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 08:28:00 PM »
Mmm...Good job searching Google and picking up the first thing you find, accepting it as truth without question. As well as making yourself look foolish.
~D-Draw

Thanks for the insult.

I didn't just pick up the first thing on google and accept it as truth.  I already knew what appeal to authority was, i just used that definition because it explained what appeal to authority is.  It appears we disagree on the definition of appeal to authority.

In my opinion, as well as the several definitions i just found over the internet, including wikipedia, is that it is only a logical fallacy if the "authority" is not a legitimate authority of the subject.  Kind of like when a celebrity endorses a product.

Argumentum ad verecundiam is an argument which takes the assumption that one source is better than another source due to its supposed "authority." Appeal to authority is a form of appeal to absurdity because it really has nothing to do with the matter.

In my opinion it is illogical to take a high school graduate's opinion on physics rather than someone who recieved their masters in physics.
Or
Lets say for example you need open heart surgery.  And you tell me you are going to an open heart surgeon.  To you i would say
"Why would you go to an open heart surgeon?  Thats just appeal to authority.  Here, let me refer you to my podiatrist."

Tom has a BS in BS.

unclegravy

• I feel so fucking high!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 08:36:51 PM »
or

~D-Draw

I was thinking ad populum. I guess this is why I failed my Philo classes.
The people who feast on exclamation marks will never go hungry agaaaain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Midnight

• RE/FE Apathetic.
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 09:03:31 PM »
or

Trying believing in yourself, and learning on your own initiative. If you cannot trust yourself, who can you trust? Don't wait for some armchair genius to live your intellectual dreams for you, get off your ass and live them yourself. It really is not that complicated.
My problem with his ideas is that it is a ridiculous thing.

Genius. PURE, undiluted genius.

?

akira

• Round Earth Proponent
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 09:13:18 PM »

Argumentum ad verecundiam is an argument which takes the assumption that one source is better than another source due to its supposed "authority." Appeal to authority is a form of appeal to absurdity because it really has nothing to do with the matter. The fact that a bunch of people (also fitting into the Bandwagon Fallacy) who are apparently more qualified to know about the Earth's shape think that it is round doesn't necessitate the Earth being round. It could POSSIBLY make it more plausible, but even without the necessity, the flat Earth theory tells why so many people believe the Earth is round. And even with more possibility, it doesn't give you an argument. Your logical structure is like this:
C says that D is correct.
Thus B.

As well:
A is plausible.
Thus A.

Obviously, neither are logical arguments.

~D-Draw

Um, no. You are the most idiotic person among others (FE believers).
GPS does not require satellites, fortunately it uses it.

Dioptimus Drime

• Meep.
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 09:25:23 PM »
Thanks for the insult.

I didn't just pick up the first thing on google and accept it as truth.  I already knew what appeal to authority was, i just used that definition because it explained what appeal to authority is.  It appears we disagree on the definition of appeal to authority.

In my opinion, as well as the several definitions i just found over the internet, including wikipedia, is that it is only a logical fallacy if the "authority" is not a legitimate authority of the subject.  Kind of like when a celebrity endorses a product.

Well, obviously, you didn't get it from Wikipedia, because Wikipedia has a different explanation (that can be PART of a logical fallacy, but it's not necessarily the only form of it). Also, whether I'm right or not (pretty sure I am, but hypothetically), it still doesn't make sense logically to say, "Yes, because this person believes in something and he is an authority on the matter, then LOGICALLY, it MUST be true." Granted, like I say, it can make things more plausible, but it doesn't necessitate it. Which is why it's a fallacy to say that it does.

Argumentum ad verecundiam is an argument which takes the assumption that one source is better than another source due to its supposed "authority." Appeal to authority is a form of appeal to absurdity because it really has nothing to do with the matter.

In my opinion it is illogical to take a high school graduate's opinion on physics rather than someone who recieved their masters in physics.
Or
Lets say for example you need open heart surgery.  And you tell me you are going to an open heart surgeon.  To you i would say
"Why would you go to an open heart surgeon?  Thats just appeal to authority.  Here, let me refer you to my podiatrist."
[/quote]
It may be illogical practically, but logically, it's not. Practical logic is far different from formal logic, obviously. The heart surgeon versus pediatrist issue is where you employ PRACTICAL logic, because a professional opinion would probably be more important. However, in formal logic, since a belief does not necessitate a logical proof, it's still wrong to assume that it's a truth just because some people believe it.
Refer to the logical process:
Thus B.

This is incorrect logic as a stand-alone argument. It is an inference made by the implications, and may make the argument more plausible, but it doesn't mean that the argument has to be correct just because A is a good person.

I was thinking ad populum. I guess this is why I failed my Philo classes.
The Bandwagon Fallacy also works on this topic, and I touched on that, too, but since he's saying that "more qualified" individuals' opinions should be accepted as fact and left it at that, it's more Ad Verecundiam.

~D-Draw

Midnight

• RE/FE Apathetic.
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2007, 09:42:39 PM »
Few, if any of these people, in any thread, are qualified for much. That is a fact.  ::)

?

BOGWarrior89

• We are as one.
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2007, 02:38:37 AM »
Few, if any of these people, in any thread, are qualified for much. That is a fact.  ::)

The only fact is that there are no such things as facts.

Midnight

• RE/FE Apathetic.
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2007, 03:03:21 AM »

The only fact is that there are no such things as facts.

I rest my case  :-*

« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2007, 05:33:48 AM »
I rest my cock on your lips :P

Midnight

• RE/FE Apathetic.
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2007, 05:41:15 AM »
I rest my cock on your lips :P

If you had one, that would be ideal, then I could maim you for life, and enjoy your screams.

« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2007, 05:42:27 AM »
You sound fun. Want sex?

?

DakaSha

• I'm so obviously gay
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2007, 08:11:07 AM »
or

Trying believing in yourself, and learning on your own initiative. If you cannot trust yourself, who can you trust? Don't wait for some armchair genius to live your intellectual dreams for you, get off your ass and live them yourself. It really is not that complicated.

mabye thats the problem with you guys. you view the world the same way cavemen did. your the one who told me to evolve...

I know the waterfalls shadow is wrong. Eat a dick you fuckin know-it-all :P
A Genius: PBF

Midnight

• RE/FE Apathetic.
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2007, 09:37:20 AM »
or

mabye thats the problem with you guys. you view the world the same way cavemen did. your the one who told me to evolve...

Apparently you are not initiated with me.

I am not on either side of the debate. I say this so often, I find it fairly hard to believe NO ONE has ever seen me say so.

I am here to learn both sides, and draw my own conclusions.

Your response stems from your ignorance of the person to whom you are responding.

Try again.

Dioptimus Drime

• Meep.
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2007, 12:18:34 PM »
or

Explain to me how it's like cavemen.

~D-Draw

Midnight

• RE/FE Apathetic.
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2007, 12:20:22 PM »
You sound fun. Want sex?

Only if I am on top.