Flat Earth Experiment

• 64 Replies

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
Re: Flat Earth Experiment
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2009, 08:24:49 PM »
OK Tom, let me see if I have this straight.  You claim that there is a photograph commissioned by Lady Blount that supposedly supports Rowbotham's Bedford Level experiment.  Yet you admit that you have never actually seen that photograph so you have no idea of what is actually shown in that photograph or if it really supports Rowbotham's results.  Why should I waste my time doing your research for you?  It's your claim that this photograph exists and supports your claim that Rowbotham's Bedford Level experiment demonstrates a flat earth, therefore it's your burden of proof to provide the evidence, not mine.  In other words, please provide a copy of that photograph or stop presenting it as evidence.

I don't need to produce the photograph because I'm not using the photograph as evidence that the earth is not a globe. A good number of written records of the experiment exist from multiple independent researchers. That's all the evidence needed. The concept of peer review already proves beyond doubt the results of the experiment.

When someone peer reviews Apollo 11 let me know.

Check me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that photograph taken 20 years after Rowbotham died?  How does one peer review someone else's work done 20 years after one's own death?

Who said that the researcher had to be alive to peer review his work?  ???

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2009, 08:30:50 PM »
OK Tom, let me see if I have this straight.  You claim that there is a photograph commissioned by Lady Blount that supposedly supports Rowbotham's Bedford Level experiment.  Yet you admit that you have never actually seen that photograph so you have no idea of what is actually shown in that photograph or if it really supports Rowbotham's results.  Why should I waste my time doing your research for you?  It's your claim that this photograph exists and supports your claim that Rowbotham's Bedford Level experiment demonstrates a flat earth, therefore it's your burden of proof to provide the evidence, not mine.  In other words, please provide a copy of that photograph or stop presenting it as evidence.

I don't need to produce the photograph because I'm not using the photograph as evidence that the earth is not a globe. A good number of written records of the experiment exist from multiple independent researchers. That's all the evidence needed. The concept of peer review already proves beyond doubt the results of the experiment.

Then why do you keep brining up the photo if you're not using it as evidence?

Check me if I'm wrong, but wasn't that photograph taken 20 years after Rowbotham died?  How does one peer review someone else's work done 20 years after one's own death?

Who said that the researcher had to be alive to peer review his work?  ???

Rowbotham died in 1884.  Lady Blount's photo was taken in 1904.  How does Rowbotham peer review Lady Blount's work from the grave? 
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2009, 12:13:46 AM »

I mentioned the photo once, and it was in description of Mr. Clifton's actions at the scene. Mr. Clifton presents direct corroboration of the experiment through testimony and photography.

I'm not obligated to travel across country to find the photo because we already have his direct writen testimony on the matter. The photograph is supplementary to the case. While we do not have it on hand we know it exists and was published because there are numerous references to it in various literary sources.

But if you really have delusional doubts about the facts, you are always free to look at the photo for yourself. You know where to find it. You are also free to dig up the grave of Samuel Birley Rowbotham if you have doubts that he existed as well.

Rowbotham died in 1884.  Lady Blount's photo was taken in 1904.  How does Rowbotham peer review Lady Blount's work from the grave? 

The experiments exist as peer reviews and corroborations of each other because academia transcends individual lifespans. In an article about Rowbotham's experiments Lady Blount's trials could be listed as a corroborating work, and in an article about Lady Blount's trials a reference to Rowbotham's trials could be listed as a corroborating work.

The convexity experiments conducted by these independent researchers produce the same undeniable result each and every time the experiment is performed: The earth is flat.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 12:26:13 AM by Tom Bishop »

« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2009, 01:46:01 AM »
So why do you think that they handled it under Science Fiction?

It's not a librarian's job to read through the books they bring in. It's not their job to understand every one of the thousands of pieces of literature on their shelves, or to agree with anything.  A librarian's job is to categorize based on snap judgment, slap some numbers onto the binding, and put it on a shelf somewhere. A librarian is not obligated to read even a single page of a book before filing it.

Now we have this:

That's golden. My favourite part is below. I've made the key points bold.

"Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated to the Science Fiction Foundation at the North East London Polytechnic in 1971. The archive was then moved to the University of Liverpool Special Collections and Archives in 1993 as part of the Science Fiction Foundation Collection"

The librarians over at the Library of Congress filed their Flat Earth books under Science Reference Guides. That must be incontrovertible proof that Flat Earth Theory is true and everyone at the Library of Congress is an FE'er, right?

Your arguments are lame, just like your "proof."

Wrong, it means that there is no consistency in FE because you all fail to produce anything that makes sense to and can be agreed upon by your fellow members, let alone Mrs.Pennyapple at the library.

BTW i'm not arguing with you. Just what is it I have 'proved' that you don't agree with?

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2009, 06:22:40 AM »

I mentioned the photo once, and it was in description of Mr. Clifton's actions at the scene. Mr. Clifton presents direct corroboration of the experiment through testimony and photography.

I'm not obligated to travel across country to find the photo because we already have his direct writen testimony on the matter. The photograph is supplementary to the case. While we do not have it on hand we know it exists and was published because there are numerous references to it in various literary sources.

But if you really have delusional doubts about the facts, you are always free to look at the photo for yourself. You know where to find it. You are also free to dig up the grave of Samuel Birley Rowbotham if you have doubts that he existed as well.

Tom, you have mentioned that photograph several times and you have even added it to your signature link.  You seem to have a an unusual amount of faith in a photograph that you've never seen before to call yourself a skeptic.  I don't doubt that the photograph exists.  I only question the actual scene captured in that photograph and, as a zetetic, so should you.

The experiments exist as peer reviews and corroborations of each other because academia transcends individual lifespans. In an article about Rowbotham's experiments Lady Blount's trials could be listed as a corroborating work, and in an article about Lady Blount's trials a reference to Rowbotham's trials could be listed as a corroborating work.

The convexity experiments conducted by these independent researchers produce the same undeniable result each and every time the experiment is performed: The earth is flat.

*sigh*  Tom, you can't review something that hasn't happened yet.  You can preview something that hasn't happened, but you can't review it (peer or otherwise).  Rowbotham can't peer review an experiment that happened 20 years after he died.  Lady Blount's work can peer review and build upon Rowbotham's work, but Rowbotham can't review or add to Lady Blount's work after he's dead.  Why is that so hard to understand?  That is unless Rowbotham invented time travel as well.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.