Round Earthers have the burden of proof.

• 84 Replies
?

YourAverageJoe

Re: Round Earthers have the burden of proof.
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2007, 04:23:37 PM »
Summary:

Franc spat out some technobabble that would make any sci-fi b-movie envious, then RAmen went ahead and posted numerous concrete proof that the Earth's round, then some other guys pointed out that Franc's technobabble was completely off. After that Franc started lashing out, and people wanted him to give out proof that if people thought the earth was round when it wasn't (I'm an REer btw) would benefit someone in any way, so instead of giving out a sensible response, Franc just lashed out some more.

?

Game_Guru777

• Truth knows no bounds...
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2007, 04:31:36 PM »
Beautiful summary, at last... some logic I cannot argue with.
Hold it!!! Your statement directly contradicts the evidence.

Objection!!! Your claims make no sense! Think about what you are going to say before you say it!

Evidence is everything...

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2007, 05:39:06 PM »
I agree with all of the above, especially the part that makes me look smart :)
I wish my lawn was emo so it'd cut itself.

narcberry's token douchebag score: 4

cmdshft

• The Elder Ones
  • swiggity swooty
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2007, 05:53:52 PM »
I have zero evidence. Any way you cut it, that makes me full of shit.

Fix'd.

?

WTF

« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2007, 06:37:38 PM »
This has got to be one of the dumbest OPs I've ever seen.  And this being a "Flat Earth" board sets the bar for that pretty high.
There is proof all over the freakin place for a round earth.  It's called science - physics, geology, astronomy for starters - ever heard of those?
How the world works is completely harmonious and only makes sense with a round earth.  That's why only the fringe (and in the case of this website, the fakers) argue for a flat earth.  When you have to invoke impossible worldwide conspiracy and suspend or re-write basic science to support your paradigm then *clearly* the burden of proof belongs on that end.

Franc T., Planar

• Leader of the Planar Army, Republic of Canada
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2007, 06:54:17 PM »
This has got to be one of the dumbest OPs I've ever seen.  And this being a "Flat Earth" board sets the bar for that pretty high.
There is proof all over the freakin place for a round earth.  It's called science - physics, geology, astronomy for starters - ever heard of those?

Please explain how any of these provide evidence for your religion.
Broadcasting live from the Republic of Canada!

They say death and taxes are the only two absolutes. Actually, they're only half right.

« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2007, 06:54:59 PM »
Commence ignoring of ridiculous statements... now.
I wish my lawn was emo so it'd cut itself.

narcberry's token douchebag score: 4

?

WTF

« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2007, 06:56:04 PM »

If I were religious I could comment.  I'm not.

Franc T., Planar

« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2007, 07:00:25 PM »

Stop your lying.

They say death and taxes are the only two absolutes. Actually, they're only half right.

?

Game_Guru777

« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2007, 07:04:34 PM »

Stop your lying.

Stop your posting... bring proof... maybe people will listen to you if you stop ranting like a drunk.

Objection!!! Your claims make no sense! Think about what you are going to say before you say it!

Franc T., Planar

« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2007, 07:05:36 PM »
You have the burden of proof, not me.

?

Game_Guru777

« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2007, 07:06:46 PM »
Gravity pulls with equal strength in all directions; therefore any variations from a spherical shape will lead to gravitational forces that bring the shape back into that of a sphere. There... now where is yours?

?

WTF

« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2007, 07:06:55 PM »
Which are you anyway, Franc - a nutjob or a faker?  My standard assumption is faker, which can further be divided into bored devil's advocate who actually knows a thing or two and punk troll who gets kicks doing this on probably most forums they visit.  I think you're probably the latter variety of faker but I've been known to be wrong.

?

WTF

« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2007, 07:07:53 PM »
Gravity pulls with equal strength in all directions; therefore any variations from a spherical shape will lead to gravitational forces that bring the shape back into that of a sphere. There... now where is yours?

Yup that is true - I'm curious what the mechanism is that produced a flat earth and that keeps it that way.

Franc T., Planar

« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2007, 07:09:18 PM »
Which are you anyway, Franc - a nutjob or a faker?  My standard assumption is faker, which can further be divided into bored devil's advocate who actually knows a thing or two and punk troll who gets kicks doing this on probably most forums they visit.  I think you're probably the latter variety of faker but I've been known to be wrong.

Stop projecting, faker.

CommonCents

• ^_^
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2007, 07:10:44 PM »
I think I know how Franc makes his replies...He has a script he that generates one out of around 10 I think I've seen different insults or responses and he just runs said script whenever anyone proves him wrong or asks him a question...
OMG!

?

WTF

« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2007, 07:12:33 PM »
It's hard to consider the mainstream position "trolling" so it's unlikely I'm projecting.  Maybe I'm wrong - you could always be a post-count whore, too.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2007, 07:18:15 PM »
To start, I am in fact a Round Earther.

Bickering isn't going to resolve these issues. :-\ I am referring to both sides of this argument.

Anyways, the burden of proof is in fact placed on the Flat Earthers due to their claims. It is a widely accepted "fact" that the Earth is round and thus, any claims otherwise such as FE theory, need to be approached with scientific evidence. A wide variety of evidence has in fact already been presented on these forums for RE. Attempts to counter them have been made, but the explanations for why this evidence is flawed or discredited themselves cannot be proven.

Gravity, the sun, weather patterns, NASA, satellites, horizon lines, magnetic poles, physics in the creation of the Earth, the moon, seasons, pendulums, celestial bodies (including other planets), the Coriolis effect, etc. were all presented by Round Earthers as existing evidence for an RE model.

To my knowledge, every case was either adapted to fit FE or discredited by being considered part of a massive pointless worldwide conspiracy.

These are simple and ideal forms of evidence. It is simply time for Flat Earthers to step up to the plate. Should there be no substantial evidence, no reason to believe in a FE would arise. This is only proof that the FE theory was invented by someone with a creative imagination which would make RE infinitely more likely.
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

Franc T., Planar

« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2007, 07:18:56 PM »
It's hard to consider the mainstream position "trolling" so it's unlikely I'm projecting.  Maybe I'm wrong - you could always be a post-count whore, too.

On this board, the mainstream position is the Flat Earth. Or did you not notice... um... THE NAME OF THIS BOARD?!?!

?

WTF

« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2007, 07:21:56 PM »

On this board, the mainstream position is the Flat Earth. Or did you not notice... um... THE NAME OF THIS BOARD?!?!

Well then why don't you answer game_guru's post which was one of the many evidences for a round earth?  If the burden of proof is on RE then why don't you reply when evidence is presented?

Franc T., Planar

« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2007, 07:23:19 PM »
There is no evidence for Round Earthist dogma. That's like saying there is evidence for Christianity. Religions are based on faith, not facts.

?

WTF

« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2007, 08:24:05 PM »

Don't you advocate an infinite-plane earth?  That isn't mainstream any more than a round earth is by your standard.

Franc T., Planar

« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2007, 08:40:33 PM »

Don't you advocate an infinite-plane earth?  That isn't mainstream any more than a round earth is by your standard.

It is a Flat Earth position, so yes.

« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2007, 10:57:10 PM »

religion - n. 1. a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, esp. when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.

Neither Round Earth nor Flat Earth does anything to prove the cause, nature, or purpose of the universe, involve any superhuman agency, or provide any moral code governing the conduct of human affairs. I don't think you know what words mean.

Franc T., Planar

« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2007, 11:05:02 PM »
Yes, obviously I was referring to the philosophical definition of religion, and not the sociological one. Thank you for completely misrepresenting what I said.

Also you did not do the simple search that would have let you find this thread I made:
http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=11618.0

Congratulations, you = ideot.

« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2007, 11:07:02 PM »
Congratulations, you = ideot.
No results found for ideot.
Did you mean IDET (in dictionary) or I-dot (in encyclopedia)?

Dictionary suggestions:
IDET
IDOT
IDIOT
Ideat
idiot
ide ot
ide-ot
IDTO
AEDOT
ID10T
IDT
IEOT
ideo-
ADET
ADOT
ID D&T
ID'ed
IDAT
IDDT
IDE/ATA
IDED
IDENT
IDIT
IDSOT
IDTT
IDWT
ITET
ITOT
ODET
ODOT
UDOT
id est
id'ed
ideata
ideate
ided
ident
ADEHT
E-DIOT
IDART
IDERD

Franc T., Planar

« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2007, 11:09:58 PM »
 ::)

Wow, I made a misspelling.

I can edit away misspellings, but you'll always be an idiot.

« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2007, 11:12:43 PM »
I can edit away misspellings, but you'll always be an idiot.
And yet you haven't. I'm not sure why I'm the enemy here.

Franc T., Planar

« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2007, 11:21:13 PM »
You seriously have to ask?

Jesus.

Sometimes I wonder why I even bother.

I think all the REers on this board are played by a 12-year-old boy named Hierophant.

« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2007, 11:27:04 PM »
You seriously have to ask?
Yes. Why do you assume I'm here as an enemy of your cause?
Jesus.
I thought we weren't supposed to bring up silly religions. ???
Sometimes I wonder why I even bother.
Bother with what?
I think all the REers on this board are played by a 12-year-old boy named Hierophant.
Are there no hierophants on your side of the fence?