Question about Accelerating Earth

• 6 Replies
?

Humboldt

Question about Accelerating Earth
« on: March 24, 2007, 08:42:56 PM »
Why is it that people do not feel the force of the acceleration of the Earth?  When turning in a car I feel my seat belt pulling me into the turn, but, like everyone else, I don't notice any force due to the Earth accelerating along its elliptical orbit.  Flat Earth advocates use this as an argument for the Earth being stationary.  I'm wondering what the explanation is.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
  • GPS does not require satellites.
Re: Question about Accelerating Earth
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 08:45:48 PM »
Nobody here uses that argument.  I think you were had by the alaska.net website.

"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson

?

Humboldt

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 08:59:24 PM »
Right, I know that site is fake...and very funny.  But, I'm still interested in the answer to my question.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
  • GPS does not require satellites.
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 10:48:18 PM »
You are asking a question, about something presented on a hoax website, to us...and are wondering why we believe it? 

"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 08:11:26 PM »
What people don't understand is that, one way or another, you are constantly feeling a force of 9.8m/s squared acting on you and everything around you. Your body evolved in those conditions, and so is used to it. When you experience weightlessness, you are in a state where the net forces acting on your body equal zero. If you've ever felt that way, you know it's very weird, anc occasionally sickening.

Arguments trying to discern between gravitation and acceleration will ultimately fail, because the gravitational force posited by Einstein acts on you the exact same way the acceleration force of FE lore does. Trying to differentiate between the two is a misunderstanding of the argument.

So, to answer the first post, you do feel the "acceleration" of the earth. Whether it's FE's constant velocity change, or RE's Einsteinian explanation, the effects on people are identical either way.

I wish my lawn was emo so it'd cut itself.

narcberry's token douchebag score: 4

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2007, 08:46:59 PM »
Whether it's FE's constant velocity change, or RE's Einsteinian explanation, the effects on people are identical either way.

Hokay, but, it's causes we're interested in here, not effects.
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

?

qwerty1297

• lol tree!
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 06:15:03 PM »
Right, I know that site is fake...and very funny.  But, I'm still interested in the answer to my question.
obviusly its fake, they are just soparenoid because they live in their mom's basement in a peanut butteer castle building peanut butter pterodactyles