Hemisphere size

• 47 Replies
?

GUN

Hemisphere size
« on: March 24, 2007, 01:28:07 PM »
With the RE model, both hemispheres are the same size. But with the FE model (I'm referring to the UN logo that is supposed to be the proper map), the southern hemisphere is three times as large as the northern hemisphere.
Wouldn't this make the southern hemisphere continents larger, or the southern oceans bigger? Wouldn't the weather be effected, notably the wind origins?
Can someone clarify this for me?
Raa:
"Round earthers think that because someone made certain paragraphs famous and repetitive that they can fight to the death with fantasy."
http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=6200.0

Ironic.....*cough*bible*cough*

Wiru

• Nandaiyou, ano Sekai...
Re: Hemisphere size
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 01:38:58 PM »
also, how do you explain gravity?

Ezekiel 25:17. Remember that.

?

Tom Bishop

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 01:40:47 PM »
The FE layout looks something like this:

http://i11.tinypic.com/2w2mzr5.png

The oceans are bigger certainly, but to this day no one has chartered every nautical mile of the oceans to say for sure.

How would wind origins be effected? The Coriolis force is a myth.

Wiru

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2007, 01:52:02 PM »
Wait. Is it a myth, or are you saying that it's a myth? Clarify your statements.

?

GUN

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2007, 02:05:45 PM »

The oceans are bigger certainly, but to this day no one has chartered every nautical mile of the oceans to say for sure.

I don't think that map is quite that accurate......

For example, if I were to fly from Sydney to South America, my plane would go (according to that map) over Papua New Guinea, California and Mexico. But it wouldn't, it would instead over the ocean - it wouldn't cross any land at all, and would stay in the southern hemisphere.
And even then, how can a plane hold enough fuel to do a trip like that? You would be going some 50,000 miles in a plane without landing.
Raa:
"Round earthers think that because someone made certain paragraphs famous and repetitive that they can fight to the death with fantasy."
http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=6200.0

Ironic.....*cough*bible*cough*

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
  • GPS does not require satellites.
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2007, 02:11:11 PM »
Gravity doesn't exist.

"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson

Wiru

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2007, 02:11:49 PM »
and...
Wait. Is it a myth, or are you saying that it's a myth? Clarify your statements.

Round Earth:
Distance between Perth and Tokyo: 7894Km (Trip @ ~800Km/h: 10 Hours)
Distance between Perth and Sydney: 3307Km (Trip @ ~800Km/h: 4 Hours)

Your Map:
Perth and Tokyo: 98 pixels
Perth and Sydney: 37 Pixels

Explain.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 02:14:10 PM by Wiru »

?

Tom Bishop

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2007, 04:01:47 PM »

The Coriolis force is a well known myth. The direction of the wind is not dependent on the shape of the earth, but the shape of the land, local temperature, pressure gradients, entropy, humidity levels, and gas constant.

Round Earth:
Distance between Perth and Tokyo: 7894Km (Trip @ ~800Km/h: 10 Hours)
Distance between Perth and Sydney: 3307Km (Trip @ ~800Km/h: 4 Hours)

Your Map:
Perth and Tokyo: 98 pixels
Perth and Sydney: 37 Pixels

Explain.

The fallacy is that you're assuming planes travel directly between two distant points. In reality they hop around a lot between destinations, refueling, and picking up and dropping off passengers. It would be extremely hard to gauge actual travel time doing that.

You are also neglecting how jetstreams and wind conditions can alter a flight's time. Additionally, if the flat earth is rotating, that's another variable to consider when traveling between hemidisks.

Have you ever been to an airport? It seems as if every other incoming flight is delayed for some reason or another. Inaccurate maps may very well be one of those reasons.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 05:09:35 PM by Tom Bishop »

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2007, 04:07:48 PM »
Coriolis effect is not a myth.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2007, 10:48:13 AM »
Of course it isn't. It can be observed a number of ways. Weather patterns, ocean currents, warm and cold fronts, the average directions of rivers drifting, etc. However, I am concerned with the plane problem. It was just assumed in response to the distance ration post, that time was being measured to derive a sense of distance. It can be recorded in a sense of distance rather than time.
I have a question as well. I was under the impression that the FE did not rotate and this was why Flat Earthers proceeded to discredit the Coriolis Effect. If the Earth was spinning to make flights shorter in which direction? CW or CCW? This would certainly hinder the effect if you are flying the other way. ;) Wind conditions strong enough to be affecting time to such a degree can also be measured and avoided. Certainly severe wind is detectable.

"It seems as if every other incoming flight is delayed for some reason or another. Inaccurate maps may very well be one of those reasons."

... Is this anything beyond speculation?
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

Dioptimus Drime

• Meep.
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2007, 02:57:54 PM »
Coriolis effect is not a myth.
Why? Can you explain why there is no way that it could be simply coincidental?

~D-Draw

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2007, 03:48:25 PM »
Gravity doesn't exist.
Wait a minute. You told me the reason for our apparent gravity decreasing as we increase altitude is because there IS gravity from the sun, moon, and stars.
Which is it? Myth or reality?

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2007, 03:52:31 PM »

Tom, I think that by the 19th century people would have noticed if Australia and Africa were thousands of miles further apart than expected, let alone the problems this map would have with modern aviation. We would have a lot more planes ditching due to miscalculated fuel and distance by now.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2007, 06:11:18 PM »
Gravity doesn't exist.
Wait a minute. You told me the reason for our apparent gravity decreasing as we increase altitude is because there IS gravity from the sun, moon, and stars.
There is gravitation, not gravity.

-- Bob Hudson

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2007, 06:55:55 PM »
Gravity doesn't exist.
Okay, makes sense, but just because we don't know the exact mechanism for gravity doesn't mean it doesn't exist. For most everyday, non-scientific usage, gravity and gravitation are interchangeable. It is similar to saying that Evolution is a fact but also a theory. We know evolution occurred, but the mechanism is still under debate.

What causes gravitation to occur? The term we put to that "force" is called gravity whether it is curvature of spacetime or virtual particles with a spin of 2 or whatever.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2007, 08:42:51 PM »
Gravity is a pseudo force invented to deal with being in a non inertial FOR.  Gravitation is what keeps you on the ground.

-- Bob Hudson

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2007, 09:02:59 AM »
Gravity is a pseudo force invented to deal with being in a non inertial FOR.  Gravitation is what keeps you on the ground.

Gravity exists in the FAQ.  Is it wrong?

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2007, 10:56:11 AM »
Gravity doesn't exist.

So gravitation is the acceleration of the Earth but that is what attracts us to the moon at higher altitudes? lol. Please explain.  :P
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2007, 12:12:51 PM »

I just noticed something about that map, and I need some clarification: I personally know (some very wealthy) people in my community who have been to Antarctica, with pictures of the trip. Where's Antarctica on that map?

CommonCents

• ^_^
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2007, 12:29:24 PM »
From what I understand of FE Antartica doesn't exist.  Instead the border of the Earth, all of which is the south pole aparently, is just ice.  Anyone who has been to Antartica is bribed and any pictures taken doctored...

...at least that's from what I understand of the theory... ???
OMG!

?

Tom Bishop

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2007, 12:34:32 PM »
The Ice Wall IS Antarctica. It does not exist as a continent. Made of rock and stone, it is the mass of land encircling the earth.

No conspiracy is needed to keep Antarctic voyages quiet.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 12:38:32 PM by Tom Bishop »

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2007, 12:37:28 PM »
The Ice Wall IS Antarctica. It does not exist as a continent.
Oh! That explains it. Thanks for clarifying. How big is the Ice Wall exactly? I've been curious about what kind of landspan it has.

CommonCents

• ^_^
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2007, 12:44:18 PM »
Q: "Why doesn't water run off the Earth?"

A: There is a vast ice wall that keeps the water where it is. The ice wall is roughly 150ft high. This also explains why you can find a vast plane of ice when you travel south.

That's taken right from the FAQ, what I'm curious about is if this ice wall is so short why hasn't anyone climbed it?
OMG!

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2007, 01:57:53 PM »
From experience with them, I can tell you that it is supposedly guarded by tons of soldiers with helicopters, snowmobiles, and binoculars. This conspiracy takes the more than half the population to keep quiet.  ::)

?

Miss M.

• Screw you.
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2007, 02:15:09 PM »
you forgot the god-damn penguins. ::)
Quote from: TheEngineer
I happen to like GG.
Quote from: Z, the Enlightened.
I never thought in my life I'd write the sentence "I thought they were caught in a bipolar geodesic?"

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2007, 02:21:20 PM »
...right. Damn it! I always forget the penguins!  :-[

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2007, 02:48:57 PM »
A REPOST

Gravity doesn't exist.

So gravitation is the acceleration of the Earth but that is what attracts us to the moon at higher altitudes? lol. Please explain.  :P

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2007, 03:23:05 PM »
Gravitation.  Gravity does not exist.

-- Bob Hudson

CommonCents

• ^_^
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2007, 03:29:41 PM »
Gravitation.  Gravity does not exist.

So in other words "Logic, you beat me.  I have no idea what I'm talking about.  Instead of even attempting to answer the question directed at me I will repeat myself in the hopes that all my dreams come true"

Did I get that right?
OMG!

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2007, 04:48:16 PM »
lol  :D

...I suppose it is possible I was not clear enough in my last post. I will give the benefit him of the doubt and reword it.

If "gravitation" is the acceleration of the Earth, then why is that same force responsible for the attraction between people on Earth and the moon? Higher altitudes mean less weight. Gravitation was used to explain attraction to the Earth and to the Moon. Doesn't make any sense to me..  ???