The part that makes it work.
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."

Tom has a BS in BS.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
  • GPS does not require satellites.
GPS again.
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 05:10:11 PM »
So, the part of the location process that requires that the transmitter be in orbit is...?

"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson

?

Ammo

GPS again.
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 05:13:49 PM »
Go to http://www.howstuffworks.com/ or other similar sites and type in "GPS" as previously posted.

It will thoroughly explain why satellites are required for GPS to work properly.

Tom has a BS in BS.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
GPS again.
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 05:14:34 PM »
So, in other words, you can't back up your statement.

-- Bob Hudson

?

Ammo

GPS again.
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 05:17:08 PM »
I guess I'm just giving you the same type of answer you give when people ask about FE experiments and such.  All you do is say "Read Earth Not a Globe, and you'll see.  It was written 200 years ago, but who cares?"

Tom has a BS in BS.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
GPS again.
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 05:20:31 PM »
And that helps your argument how?

-- Bob Hudson

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
GPS again.
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 05:21:31 PM »

"The modern flat earth movement originated when an eccentric English inventor, Samuel Rowbotham (1816-1884), based on his literal interpretation of certain biblical passages, published a 16-page pamphlet,"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_earth_society

I'd say the Bible, and the biblical passages located within are roughly 2000 years old, give or take a little bit.

It's a good thing TFES website was not started by him, then.

-- Bob Hudson

?

Ammo

GPS again.
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 05:26:56 PM »
And that helps your argument how?

It helps my argument by telling where to locate information that tells you how GPS works.  Even includes vidoes if your attention span cannot last very long. And if you actually looked at the information, and understood it, then you would understand that GPS requires sattelites.

Tom has a BS in BS.

?

Ammo

GPS again.
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2007, 05:27:29 PM »

"The modern flat earth movement originated when an eccentric English inventor, Samuel Rowbotham (1816-1884), based on his literal interpretation of certain biblical passages, published a 16-page pamphlet,"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_earth_society

I'd say the Bible, and the biblical passages located within are roughly 2000 years old, give or take a little bit.

You originally said nothing about TFES website, now you're changing your words.

Tom has a BS in BS.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
GPS again.
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2007, 05:39:46 PM »
It helps my argument by telling where to locate information that tells you how GPS works.  Even includes vidoes if your attention span cannot last very long. And if you actually looked at the information, and understood it, then you would understand that GPS requires sattelites.
Maybe I just can't find it.  No place in that website explains why GPS requires satellites.  Perhaps you can help?

-- Bob Hudson

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
GPS again.
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2007, 05:41:01 PM »
[/quote]

You originally said nothing about TFES website, now you're changing your words.
[/quote]
I thought that would be obvious, as the OP specifically mentioned us, on this website.

-- Bob Hudson

?

Ammo

GPS again.
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2007, 05:45:39 PM »
Maybe I just can't find it.  No place in that website explains why GPS requires satellites.  Perhaps you can help?

Jesus Christ!

Wow, you read a lot of text in a very short period of time.
Did you even look at it?
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/gps2.htm

Tom has a BS in BS.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
GPS again.
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2007, 05:49:05 PM »
Still not seeing it.  Why don't you just quote the part in which is says the transmitter must be in orbit for GPS to work?

-- Bob Hudson

GPS again.
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2007, 07:28:25 PM »
Hey personally I think it is pretty dumb basing scientific belief on a book written 2000 years ago, but seeing as you guys do, how come your atlas of the world doesn't have four corners?  The bible clearly states that it does
Ever hear of "Not taking the Bible entirely literally?" Figure of speech, boy.

Explain to us how a GPS doesn't require the transmitter to be in orbit.
I don't know the exact components of a GPS. Hell, I know very little about any sort of true electronics, except for a few parts.
If you're trying to say that the government just has the certain points mapped out to make people think that with a GPS they can find their position on a round earth rather than a flat one, prove it. (How would the government organizing such a thing even be worth it? I mean, if it's slightly inaccurate at all, the military uses these things... why would the government issue something to itself that it knew was flawed?)
Sorry, how did GPS come into this anyway?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 07:32:29 PM by Skyburn »

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
Re: GPS again.
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2007, 07:51:59 PM »
Explain to us how a GPS doesn't require the transmitter to be in orbit.
The receiver doesn't care what is doing the transmitting, or where it is, as long as the current time and position of the transmitter are contained within the broadcast signal.

-- Bob Hudson

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2007, 12:41:30 AM »
TheEngineer,
No offense, but do you really have nothing better to do than to debate about GPS with a bunch of morons on this site?  You seem to post the exact same things every day and you have over 5,000 posts.  I guess I don't really understand why any of the members stay on this site for any significant length of time, but you seem to stand out the most.  What's the point?

Anyways, if GPS does not use satellites, then why would the government(or whoever is behind the conspiracy) go through all the trouble to convince us that it does?   Why would you make it into a huge conspiracy if there is no reason too?

« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2007, 12:48:23 AM »
Speaking of satellite, how do geostationnary satellites works within the FE theory?

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2007, 01:17:00 AM »
TheEngineer,
No offense, but do you really have nothing better to do than to debate about GPS with a bunch of morons on this site?
Better things to do?  Probably.

You seem to post the exact same things every day
So, it's my fault you RE'ers are unoriginal, can't read the existing topics and can't use the search function properly?

I guess I don't really understand why any of the members stay on this site for any significant length of time, but you seem to stand out the most.  What's the point?
Besides the fact that it is fun schooling RE'ers who think they know how the world works, yet really have no idea how it actually does?  Well...as someone so elegantly once put it, "It's mental masturbation."

Anyways, if GPS does not use satellites, then why would the government(or whoever is behind the conspiracy) go through all the trouble to convince us that it does?
To further the illusion of the RE.

-- Bob Hudson

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2007, 01:17:43 AM »
Speaking of satellite, how do geostationnary satellites works within the FE theory?
Satellites don't work with the FE.

-- Bob Hudson

« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2007, 01:33:57 AM »
How do we get television by satellites?
Or picture of the Earth in the meteo eveyday?

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2007, 01:48:51 AM »
1.  The signals come from other sources.
2.  I don't know what a 'meteo' is.

-- Bob Hudson

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2007, 02:45:54 AM »
So, when I install a satellite dish and have to point it correctly toward a "satellite" or I dodn't get the signal, to what do I point if there are no satellite?
What are the strange objects you can see floating in space with a telescope?

Meteo = meteorology

The pictures from Weather forecast , where you can see your country with clouds. How are they taken if not by satellite?

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2007, 08:20:58 AM »
So, when I install a satellite dish and have to point it correctly toward a "satellite" or I dodn't get the signal, to what do I point if there are no satellite?
What are the strange objects you can see floating in space with a telescope?

Any number of things, including stratellites.

The pictures from Weather forecast , where you can see your country with clouds. How are they taken if not by satellite?
It's more than likely a composite, with the weather info coming from ground Doppler stations.

-- Bob Hudson

?

afiq980

• Earth is round.
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2007, 11:45:45 PM »
No point arguing with these Fe-ers. All they say is that it is "something else" or that the government is doing some kind of conspiracy(taking note that the FE will not say WHY the government is doing it).

And example would be:-

RE: Why do we have to point the satellite dish to a "satellite"?

FE: It is coming from OTHER sources.

And then, the FE will stop there, not stating what the "other sources" is. Even if the FE state the "other sources", lets say, "Doppler station", they will not reinforce the statement any further.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2007, 11:58:59 PM »
What?  Would you like me to explain how Doppler works?

-- Bob Hudson

?

Conspiracy Mastermind

• There is no conspiracy...
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2007, 12:10:09 AM »
You reaslise GPS and communication satellites have to be geostationary, i.e. how are you supposed to know where you are if the GPS satellite constantly shifts it's position above the earth. Startolites would be subject to wind, jet streams, they could never remain stationary as required.
Quote from: Tomcooper84
there is no optical light, there is just light and theres no other type of light unless you start talkling about energy saving lightbulbs compared to other types of light bulbs
ENaG: Evidence Not a Guarantee.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2007, 12:14:02 AM »
You reaslise GPS and communication satellites have to be geostationary, i.e. how are you supposed to know where you are if the GPS satellite constantly shifts it's position above the earth. Startolites would be subject to wind, jet streams, they could never remain stationary as required.
Uh, no.  Most if not all GPS 'satellites' are not geostationary.  There is no need for them to be.  Stratellites are above 99% of the Earth's atmosphere.  No need to worry about jet streams.

-- Bob Hudson

Jack

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2007, 12:15:48 AM »
GPS requires satellites.

?

Conspiracy Mastermind

• There is no conspiracy...
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2007, 12:21:19 AM »
Uh, no.  Most if not all GPS 'satellites' are not geostationary.  There is no need for them to be.  Stratellites are above 99% of the Earth's atmosphere.  No need to worry about jet streams.

If the GPS satellites are not geostationary (coomunication satellites sure are, they have to be because they must reflect signals from stationary points on the ground) then they have orbits which are easily predictable, so they know where they are. Stratolites would still be subject to the random motion of the air they are in, so how would they know where they are so that we know where we are?
Quote from: Tomcooper84
there is no optical light, there is just light and theres no other type of light unless you start talkling about energy saving lightbulbs compared to other types of light bulbs
ENaG: Evidence Not a Guarantee.