Samuel Birley Rowbotham

• 15 Replies
Samuel Birley Rowbotham
« on: March 21, 2007, 10:02:32 AM »
Apparently his "scientific" experiments were disproved numerous times... and most of his other "proof" consists of long sequences of non sequitur speculation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bedford_Level_experiment

Before you tell me it's wikipedia, the information about the experiment being disproven came from these sources:

Nature 7 April 1870.
Hampden, John (1870): The Bedford Canal swindle detected & exposed. A. Bull, London.
Oldham, H Youle (1901): Annual Report. British Association for the Advancement of Science,
   London.

You can't really claim it's the conspiracy without involving the entire scientific community... I also don't see the motive for the conspiracy before space travel....
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 10:04:45 AM by The Philosopher »

?

Tom Bishop

Re: Samuel Birley Rowbotham
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 10:51:35 AM »
Nature is a publication of the Royal Astronomical Society. The Royal Astronomical Society is the precursor to NASA. It is the parent entity which jump started the Conspiracy.

In particular, I describe the origins of the Conspiracy here.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 11:04:40 AM by Tom Bishop »

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 12:57:58 PM »
maybe rowbotham just wanted to start a conspiracy.....looks like he got one!
what would it take for FE'ers to believe in the round earth?

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 01:12:23 PM »
Nature is a publication of the Royal Astronomical Society. The Royal Astronomical Society is the precursor to NASA. It is the parent entity which jump started the Conspiracy.

1) Do you have any reference showing that Nature is a publication of the Royal Astronomical Society?

2) How do you explain this?
Rowbotham repeated his experiments several times over the years but his discoveries received little attention until, in 1870, a supporter by the name of John Hampden offered a wager that he could show, by repeating Rowbotham’s experiment, that the earth was flat. The noted explorer and qualified surveyor Alfred Russel Wallace accepted the wager. Wallace, by virtue of his surveyor’s training, avoided the errors of the preceding experiments and he won the bet.[2] Hampden, however, published a pamphlet alleging that Wallace had cheated and sued for his money. Several protracted court cases ensued, with the result that Hampden was imprisoned for libel.[3]

In 1901 explorer H Youle Oldham, a geography professor at Cambridge University, conducted the definitive experiment described in Method, above.[4]
Citation 3 refers to:
Hampden, John (1870): The Bedford Canal swindle detected & exposed. A. Bull, London.
and citation 4 refers to:
Oldham, H Youle (1901): Annual Report. British Association for the Advancement of Science,  London.

The British Association for the Advancement of Science was in on the conspiracy back then too? If you take it that far, you start implicating the entire scientific community, which is ludicrous.

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 02:46:14 PM »
A slight fish eye lens causes a similar effect and is most likely the reason for this distortion.  The Earth is flat.
Been debunkin flat earth theory for over 50 years.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
  • GPS does not require satellites.
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 02:50:01 PM »
A slight fish eye lens causes a similar effect and is most likely the reason for this distortion.  The Earth is flat.
That's getting old.  End it.

"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 03:42:44 PM »

I already tried telling him that. And if he isn't going to listen to me...
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 05:16:29 PM »

I already tried telling him that. And if he isn't going to listen to me...
...then he better listen to me, or he will have to find some other forum to spam.

-- Bob Hudson

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2007, 05:22:41 PM »
Oh yeah, you have powers and stuff. Can mods ban people?
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2007, 07:20:04 PM »
Yes.

-- Bob Hudson

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2007, 08:32:31 PM »
Im surprised... Engineer's pointless one-sentence replies usually address the topic in some way...

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2007, 08:50:40 PM »
Engineer's pointless one-sentence replies usually address the topic in some way...
...then they are not pointless.

-- Bob Hudson

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2007, 10:35:23 PM »
I've noticed that "fish eye lens" remark a couple of times now.

It's astounding how you guys seem to have a definitive answer for everything but usually put it forward in a one-sentence reply with nothing to back it up.

Come on, the vast majority of people here think you're all stupid, let's at least have some intelligent debate, you're just fooling yourselves and wasting your own time here.

If you're going to promote a theory as radical as this, at least do right by the others who believe in it and give us some valid points and arguments.

unclegravy

• I feel so fucking high!!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2007, 02:31:08 AM »
ANYWAY, back to the discussion.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 04:01:18 PM by unclegravy »
The people who feast on exclamation marks will never go hungry agaaaain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2007, 06:06:51 AM »

So what your saying is NASA already proved Row wrong (through his own science?)?

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2007, 09:27:46 AM »
Yes.

Why haven't I been banned? I was on the list.