No Shit: Acceleration

• 17 Replies
?

Intelligent Falling

No Shit: Acceleration
« on: March 20, 2007, 07:54:35 PM »
Address each of the following points separately and completely, without diverging to arguments against other theories and without any hokus pokus:

Ok, the earth is accelerating in a linear path, correct?

The earth is accelerating at roughly 9.8 m/ss, correct?

The speed of light is roughly 3x10^8m/s, correct?

If you're up to the enormous challenge, do the math.  That means that within about one year (assuming you agree a year is about 365 days) the earth is rocketing through space (or chocolate frosting or whatever it is you believe is outside the earth) at speeds greater than the speed of light!!!

Wow, your theory just disproved Einstonian physics like that.  A swift kick in the nuts to that conspirator and round earther, correct?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 08:19:58 PM by Intelligent Falling »

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
  • GPS does not require satellites.
Re: No Shit: Acceleration
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 08:37:00 PM »
Wow, your theory just disproved Einstonian physics like that.  A swift kick in the nuts to that conspirator and round earther, correct?

Wow, you obviously don't know what 'Einstonian' physics are.  Our model happens to agree quite nicely with Einstein.

"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson

?

Intelligent Falling

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 09:24:35 PM »
Wow, thanks for answering my questions!

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 09:45:59 PM »
Einstein's theories allow for an object to continually accelerate and never reach the speed of light.  So therefore, your post is moot.

-- Bob Hudson

?

Intelligent Falling

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 10:09:40 PM »
I see that you still find it difficult to answer my questions.  I thought you could at least explicitly agree with the first few points I made until you come upon the contention, but what the hell, it may be more difficult than I had imagined.

If you could be so kind as to give me the specific equation or set of equations which show that a constant linear acceleration of a body in an inertial frame of reference does NOT lead to a velocity approaching the speed of light (or by your thought surpassing that) I would be much obliged.

Please, do not mock me or inform me of my ignorance, just back up what you say with the math which supposedly supports your view.  If you do that and you still feel the need to deride me, I guess it's O.K.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 10:46:32 PM »
Yes, the earth is accelerating on a linear path.
Yes, the earth is accelerating at about 9.81m/s^2.
Yes, the speed of light is roughly 3*10^8m/s.

As for the equation:

w=(u+v)/(1+u*v/c^2)

Where u is the current velocity, v is 9.81 (due to the earth accelerating for one second), and w is the new velocity, which is plugged into u in the following iterations.

You're welcome.

-- Bob Hudson

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 11:07:22 PM »
Can you even do basic algebra?

u=m/s  v=m/s   c=m/s  w=m/s.

Turns out: (m/s+m/s)/(dimensionless) = m/s

Edit:  Caught your mistake, huh? 
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 12:57:19 AM by TheEngineer »

-- Bob Hudson

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 01:55:01 PM »
that intelligent falling aint intelligent at all..
Please close this post...
Everyone who's ever read anything on relativity would know that you can accelerate with constant acceleration (in terms of momentum, which counts for gravity) and never reach the speed of light.
See: http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=11687.msg159980#msg159980

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 06:58:37 AM »
that intelligent falling aint intelligent at all..
Please close this post...
Everyone who's ever read anything on relativity would know that you can accelerate with constant acceleration (in terms of momentum, which counts for gravity) and never reach the speed of light.
See: http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=11687.msg159980#msg159980

Except you.

dysfunction

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2007, 01:17:37 PM »
Address each of the following points separately and completely, without diverging to arguments against other theories and without any hokus pokus:

Ok, the earth is accelerating in a linear path, correct?

The earth is accelerating at roughly 9.8 m/ss, correct?

The speed of light is roughly 3x10^8m/s, correct?

If you're up to the enormous challenge, do the math.  That means that within about one year (assuming you agree a year is about 365 days) the earth is rocketing through space (or chocolate frosting or whatever it is you believe is outside the earth) at speeds greater than the speed of light!!!

Nope. Here's why.

Yes, Earth is constantly accelerating at 9.8m/s/s- from some frames of reference. Yet as viewed by other observers, Earth is approaching the speed of light- and as an object approaches c, a constant force will no longer yield a constant acceleration. As velocity increases near lightspeed, mass increases as well (indeed mass increases with velocity even at very low speeds, but the effect is so small as to be negligible until you get to significant fractions of c), and a  constant force applied to an increasing mass will yield a decreasing acceleration. So to observers relative to whom the Earth's velocity is near lightspeed, Earth will no longer have a constant acceleration, but a decreasing one. Thus, you might think that as that acceleration decreases, our feeling of gravity would likewise decrease. But it won't.
Imagine you fall off a tall mountain on Earth. The Earth will accelerate up towards you. At first, Earth's velocity relative to you will be very low, nowhere near lightspeed. Since Earth will not be traveling near lightspeed relative to you, the constant force applied to it will appear, from your perspective, to still be accelerating the Earth at a constant rate- 9.8m/s/s. Yet Earth can at the same time be moving extremely quickly, near lightspeed, relative to other observers, so from THEIR perspective Earth's acceleration will in fact be decreasing. It sounds like a paradox, but it is perfectly legitimate within the framework of relativity.
the cake is a lie

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2007, 03:30:59 PM »
How can you deny the physics of the Great Alfred Einston!!

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2007, 03:52:57 PM »
...As velocity increases near lightspeed, mass increases as well (indeed mass increases with velocity even at very low speeds, but the effect is so small as to be negligible until you get to significant fractions of c)...

Actually, scientists decided that mass isn't the one that changes with speed, so the relativistic mass is not scientifically true anymore, but it can be used to simplify calculations. Instead, the slightly different concepts of relativistic momentum and energy were introduced (not like mv where m is relativistic, but rather gamma*m0*v).

However, this doesn't change the outcome. A mass with the speed of light has infinite momentum and infinite energy, which is impossible to achieve even with constant acceleration for billions of trillions of gazillions of googolplexes of years. We can accelerate constantly (in our reference frame) for as many years as you want and never reach the speed of light...

?

weef

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2007, 02:29:01 PM »
you know how if your and a bus going 30 mph and you throw a paper airplane in the bus 3 mph its going 33 mph? well same idea if theres no gravity and the planets going 9.8 m/s/s and you jump up 1 m/s/s your going to keep going up 10.8 m/s/s while the planets still doin 9.8 and you would drift away.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2007, 02:30:16 PM »
...Except that velocity and acceleration are different things.

-- Bob Hudson

Wiru

• Nandaiyou, ano Sekai...
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2007, 02:19:17 PM »
So therefore, your post is moot.
moot is admin on 4chan. use proper terminology.

Ezekiel 25:17. Remember that.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2007, 02:26:00 PM »
Wow, what an amazing argument.

-- Bob Hudson

Wiru

• Nandaiyou, ano Sekai...
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2007, 02:27:39 PM »
cheers.

Ezekiel 25:17. Remember that.

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2007, 02:48:35 PM »
you know how if your and a bus going 30 mph and you throw a paper airplane in the bus 3 mph its going 33 mph? well same idea if theres no gravity and the planets going 9.8 m/s/s and you jump up 1 m/s/s your going to keep going up 10.8 m/s/s while the planets still doin 9.8 and you would drift away.

You jump up and continue accelerating at 1 m/s/s? How is this possible? Or are you wearing rocket boots in this example?