Air, and how it contradicts a flat earth

• 98 Replies
Re: Air, and how it contradicts a flat earth
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2007, 07:20:25 AM »
i just love the fact i'm in franc's sig :P .. haha
With no south pole, there is no electromagnetism, giving us no protection from the sun's harmful radiation--we'd all be dead right now.
The ice wall, supposedly made up of antartica lies around the edge of the earth, why no one has recorded it, who knows

« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2007, 08:50:37 AM »
Yes, that is correct. Air does not flow off the sides because there are no sides.

Honestly. Please. STOP REPLYING. The original question was obviously directed towards the majority of FE'ers on this forum who believe that the Earth is a finite disk. You're just clogging this topic with completely irrelevant drivel. Allow the people who the questions was directed at to answer rather than steering us all off course.

I will not allow the truth to be silenced.

Well then instead of just replying... BACK UP WHAT YOU HAVE TO SAY WITH EVIDENCE!

Franc T., Planar

• Leader of the Planar Army, Republic of Canada
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2007, 01:53:22 PM »
EIRD, you, nor any other REer, can silence me. I will only shut up if Tom Bishop asks me to.
Broadcasting live from the Republic of Canada!

They say death and taxes are the only two absolutes. Actually, they're only half right.

« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2007, 07:03:56 AM »
You're the only FE'er that believes in it, because, if gravity existed, the earth would be a ball, not a disk.

Please do explain how a mass of INFINITE LENGTH would generate the gravitational vectors needed for collapse. The gravity on both sides is BY DEFINITION equal!

Gradually. Gravitational vectors are directed towards the center of mass.  The only way an infinite disc could sustatin its shape for this long is an unexplained force whose vectors are in the opposite direction of gravitational vectors.
Quote from: Raist
One thing we have learned is don't fuck around in Africa. It leads to bad.

« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2007, 07:18:34 AM »
The original post was without any physics merit.

How so?
Quote from: Raist
One thing we have learned is don't fuck around in Africa. It leads to bad.

EvilToothpaste

• The Reverse Engineer
« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2007, 07:39:13 AM »
1) Air is a gas. We all know that gases expand until they reach some sort of barrier. In an RE, this barrier is the Ozone layer/gravitational pull. In a Flat Earth...
No barrier. Thusly, air would expand and flow off of the edge of the Flat Earth as it is propelled through the universe. We'd be leaking air... but we arn't!
Explain why we arn't all suffocating.
(If you say the same force that propels us through the universe also keeps it in, you'd be wrong because that force would push the air easier than the Earth, and would take away air from us)

2) If we are accelerating, air pressure would increase rapidly as the Earth would constantly apply more pressure to the air, and would slowly squeeze it - if the air somehow had a way of being held in on the sides. Aircraft's cielings at which they could fly would decrease, and we would slowly be crushed under air pressure. Eventually, the air would be compressed to the point where it would combust, and we'd all die.
Explain why this does not happen, if the Earth is flat.

2) This does not happen because the Earth's acceleration is not increasing.  Acceleration is constant, thus the force applied by the surface to each molecule of air is constant (on the ideal average). 

1)a dome.

« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2007, 01:57:19 PM »
Francerty, you make mention of the earth being infinite in breadth. If that were true (which most other FE'ers doubt, because it's against the original tenets) how do you explain the rotation of the earth? If the earth rotated, then areas of the earth would rotate from a central axis at a speed far in excess of the speed of light. In fact, an infinite distance (which is possible on an infinite plane) would be moving at infinite velocity. And since infinite velocity means existing everywhere in the universe at once, that doesn't make sense. Ergo, the notion of an infinite earth doesn't make sense (also, you have provided no proof, which is usually required for such sensationalist claims).

You could say that the earth does not rotate, which eliminates the infinite speed problem. However, how do you explain the recurrence of the stars? You can watch the Orion constellation zip from one horizon to the other, and come back to the previous one, as if the stars were spinning in relation to the earth. Since the stars follow a period of rotation in the sky that is very easy to describe with simple mathematics, the infinite earth theory still makes no sense. They cannot rotate around the earth (or vice versa) if there is an infinite plane to cross.

Seriously, your speculations are pure pie-in-the-sky. if you can provide even basic mathematical principles reinforcing your claims, I will totally readjust my stance on the earth.
I wish my lawn was emo so it'd cut itself.

narcberry's token douchebag score: 4

Franc T., Planar

« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2007, 02:32:29 PM »
Francerty, you make mention of the earth being infinite in breadth. If that were true (which most other FE'ers doubt, because it's against the original tenets) how do you explain the rotation of the earth?

I am not against the notion of such rotation being demonstrated. If it was demonstrated, it wouldn't be a problem for FE theory. Either way, this is a research area where REers should concentrate, IMO: they might actually discover something useful for once.

They say death and taxes are the only two absolutes. Actually, they're only half right.

?

silverhammermba

• Anger makes me debate. Debating makes me angry.
« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2007, 03:00:38 PM »
Well anyway, back to the original question as to how air stays on the flat Earth...

Franc, even your infinite plane model does not explain the air. If the Earth is an infinite plane (and gravity exists in the infinite plane, right?) then the oxygen that makes up our atmosphere would expand infinitely in every direction in order to fill the space. However, we know that the air is attracted to the Earth by gravity and that it thins with increased altitude (this is beyond debate) to the point where we have, essentially, a vacuum. Thus we essentially have two infinite planes: one being the Earth, the other being the point at which gravity and air pressure balance and our atmosphere ends. Between these planes is sandwiched the air.

So... there is an infinite amount of oxygen to fill this infinite space? Then why do we observe such things as air pollution? Wouldn't it all be swept away to the infinite ends of the Earth?

And I still await an honest reply from a disk model FE'er.
Quote from: Kasroa
Tom usually says at this point that people have seen the ice-wall. It is the Ross Ice Shelf. That usually kills the conversation by the power of sheer bull-shit alone.

Franc T., Planar

« Reply #69 on: March 26, 2007, 05:10:12 PM »
So... there is an infinite amount of oxygen to fill this infinite space?

Yes.

Then why do we observe such things as air pollution? Wouldn't it all be swept away to the infinite ends of the Earth?

Eventually, yes. Why do you ask?

« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2007, 05:47:18 PM »
Frankorg, you talk of round earthers not inventing/discovering anything useful. Uh, how about EVERYTHING within the last 300 years? Don't you forget that you are the teeniest minority, with absolutely no foothold in the world's academia. What you say doesn't matter at all, because everybody knows you could never back up your opinion with proof. That's why we all laugh at you.

Frankis: Oh, great and mighty Tom Bishop, patron saint of ignorance and anal intercourse! I told the heathens that I will only shut up if you ask me to! Thy will be done!

Franc T., Planar

« Reply #71 on: March 26, 2007, 09:21:41 PM »
I have never heard of any great discovery coming from Round Earthism. In fact, many scientific discoveries since then have contradicted the religion of Round Earthism.

« Reply #72 on: March 27, 2007, 05:01:48 AM »
I have never heard of any great discovery coming from Round Earthism. In fact, many scientific discoveries since then have contradicted the religion of Round Earthism.

Care to list a few?

« Reply #73 on: March 27, 2007, 05:36:20 AM »
Also, you keep calling Round Earthism a religion. I think you're confused about the definition of a religion, so I'd like to hear yours.

Also, isn't spouting facts that can't possibly be predicted more like a religion? If so, then your dogma is far more guilty of what you claim than any round earthers. And even still, isn't pledging your undying allegiance to Tom Bishop the way you do even more like a religion? God, you treat him like Jesus or something.

Let's go over a quick list of inventions/theories coming from Round Earthers: Trigonometry, vectors, calculus, general and special relativity, rocket propulsion, the harnessing of electricity, HAM radio, and Swiss cheese. I'd love to hear of a single important invention or discovery made by someone who was known to believe the earth was flat.

« Reply #74 on: March 27, 2007, 07:41:41 AM »
EIRD, you, nor any other REer, can silence me. I will only shut up if Tom Bishop asks me to.

Are you challenged?  I'm not trying to silence you, i'm trying to get you to support your ideas with evidence.

« Reply #75 on: March 27, 2007, 07:46:48 AM »
I used to argue against Frenchy's theories but then I realised he was just taking the piss so what's the point?

« Reply #76 on: March 27, 2007, 07:47:49 AM »
He thinks he's a paragon of truth, or something. All he does is wax bravado about how "nobody can silence him" and he will "dispel the myth of the round earth religion". That's why I suggested in another post that everybody just ignore him, so that he won't have anybody to bother anymore.

Kasroa's right: there's no point in arguing with someone as close-minded and stubborn as him. Like a bully from the 3rd grade, if you just ignore him, then he'll go away.

« Reply #77 on: March 27, 2007, 07:51:40 AM »
He thinks he's a paragon of truth, or something. All he does is wax bravado about how "nobody can silence him" and he will "dispel the myth of the round earth religion". That's why I suggested in another post that everybody just ignore him, so that he won't have anybody to bother anymore.

Kasroa's right: there's no point in arguing with someone as close-minded and stubborn as him. Like a bully from the 3rd grade, if you just ignore him, then he'll go away.

He's too stubborn to leave.  He'll post even if he's the only one responding.

Colonel Gaydafi

• Spam Moderator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Queen of the gays!
« Reply #78 on: March 27, 2007, 09:34:55 AM »
Francy is just messing with you all, he doesn't mean anything he says
Quote from: WardoggKC130FE
If Gayer doesn't remember you, you might as well do yourself a favor and become an hero.
Quote from: Raa
there is a difference between touching a muff and putting your hand into it isn't there?

« Reply #79 on: March 27, 2007, 11:52:45 AM »
I don't care why he's doing it, I'm just saying that the best thing to do at this point is just ignore ANYTHING he says, as anything he posts is purely inflammatory and is not made to benefit anything other than his self-esteem.... Which must seriously be suffering.

Franc T., Planar

« Reply #80 on: March 27, 2007, 03:21:21 PM »

Care to list a few?

The discovery of DNA, Relativity, QM, Pythagoras' Theorem, Neo-Darwinism, and the dual nature of light.

« Reply #81 on: March 27, 2007, 05:25:34 PM »
Ok, you listed somthing. Now, how do any of those contradict the existence of a round earth?

Franc T., Planar

« Reply #82 on: March 27, 2007, 06:19:09 PM »
Ok, you listed somthing. Now, how do any of those contradict the existence of a round earth?

How do they not?

« Reply #83 on: March 27, 2007, 06:24:11 PM »
Uhh, because none of them rely on the shape of the eart, that's why not. Now answer my question.

Franc T., Planar

« Reply #84 on: March 27, 2007, 06:27:06 PM »
That's where you're wrong. Think about it.

« Reply #85 on: March 27, 2007, 06:30:25 PM »
Sorry pal, but you need to back up your statements. This is your last chance: either provide your claims with proofs and convincing details, or you will simply be ignored on this forum. And something tells me you like pissing people off. So I suggest cooperating, because if you don't, you'll have to find another forum to flame.

?

WTF

« Reply #86 on: March 27, 2007, 07:33:56 PM »
The original post was without any physics merit.

Translation:  You can't explain why we don't lose air.

?

silverhammermba

• Anger makes me debate. Debating makes me angry.
« Reply #87 on: March 27, 2007, 09:25:40 PM »
So... there is an infinite amount of oxygen to fill this infinite space?
Yes.
Then why do we observe such things as air pollution? Wouldn't it all be swept away to the infinite ends of the Earth?
Eventually, yes. Why do you ask?

So you believe in a universe of infinite matter? That's pretty interesting I suppose. Well, now that that's been decided, Earth's climate seems pretty strange to me. If the infinite plane of the Earth has an infinite amount of oxygen in its atmosphere, then why do we have global (or would that be planar?) weather at all? For example, why are we able to somewhat accurately track the progress of large storms? If all that's keeping air in our little area of the infinite plane is a couple hundred foot ice wall, wouldn't we see a whole lot more weather forms simply flying off somewhere never to be seen again? Or, similarly, wouldn't large storms simply appear out of nowhere as they're blown into the Earth area rather than forming gradually as we see them?

And another thing, the ice wall makes sense when you're talking about an accelerating disk model because the water freezes so close to the void of space. But in an infinite plane... why is it there? Is it in an infinite plane with one random warm circle somewhere on it? Does the ice wall end at some point? Are there other "planets" on this infinite plane that our mischievous government conspirators refuse to let us go see? Your flat Earth model confuses me far more than the simple disk one.

And on a completely unrelated note, I would be very interested to hear your opinion on the structure of the universe. If gravity exists and the universe is bounded by an infinite plane, does the universe extend infinitely in every other direction? What are the things we call stars and planets? How far could one tunnel into the infinite plane of the Earth?
Quote from: Kasroa
Tom usually says at this point that people have seen the ice-wall. It is the Ross Ice Shelf. That usually kills the conversation by the power of sheer bull-shit alone.

Franc T., Planar

« Reply #88 on: March 27, 2007, 09:38:00 PM »
1. Air just does not move that fast.
2. The Ice Wall, as well as the barrenness of the in-between expanses and the Earth Pockets, prevents storm formations from leaping from one land to another.

« Reply #89 on: March 27, 2007, 10:49:36 PM »
How do they not?
That's where you're wrong. Think about it.
Compelling argument.