Air, and how it contradicts a flat earth

• 98 Replies
Air, and how it contradicts a flat earth
« on: March 18, 2007, 04:25:42 PM »
1) Air is a gas. We all know that gases expand until they reach some sort of barrier. In an RE, this barrier is the Ozone layer/gravitational pull. In a Flat Earth...
No barrier. Thusly, air would expand and flow off of the edge of the Flat Earth as it is propelled through the universe. We'd be leaking air... but we arn't!
Explain why we arn't all suffocating.
(If you say the same force that propels us through the universe also keeps it in, you'd be wrong because that force would push the air easier than the Earth, and would take away air from us)

2) If we are accelerating, air pressure would increase rapidly as the Earth would constantly apply more pressure to the air, and would slowly squeeze it - if the air somehow had a way of being held in on the sides. Aircraft's cielings at which they could fly would decrease, and we would slowly be crushed under air pressure. Eventually, the air would be compressed to the point where it would combust, and we'd all die.
Explain why this does not happen, if the Earth is flat.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 04:29:00 PM by Skyburn »

Franc T., Planar

• Leader of the Planar Army, Republic of Canada
Re: Air, and how it contradicts a flat earth
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 04:29:05 PM »
Who said there was no ozone layer in a FE?
Broadcasting live from the Republic of Canada!

They say death and taxes are the only two absolutes. Actually, they're only half right.

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 04:30:19 PM »
The Ozone layer would drift away as well. It's not a solid, and it'd have nothing to keep it there.
The ozone layer is just a O3 gas layer floating on top of the air. It doesn't actually do enough to keep it in.

Franc T., Planar

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 04:31:00 PM »
Ever heard about gravity?

They say death and taxes are the only two absolutes. Actually, they're only half right.

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 04:31:39 PM »
You're the only FE'er that believes in it, because, if gravity existed, the earth would be a ball, not a disk.

Franc T., Planar

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 04:33:05 PM »
You're the only FE'er that believes in it, because, if gravity existed, the earth would be a ball, not a disk.

Please do explain how a mass of INFINITE LENGTH would generate the gravitational vectors needed for collapse. The gravity on both sides is BY DEFINITION equal!

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 04:36:11 PM »
You do not follow the same FE beliefs of other FE'ers.
Honestly, you're just a moron.

Franc T., Planar

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2007, 04:37:07 PM »
Actually, Tom Bishop agrees with me.

And yes, I am a moron because I refuse to follow the religion you all follow. Good going, troll. Get off this fucking board.

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2007, 04:38:37 PM »
RE is not a religion.
If the earth is a disk, actual gravity would have the greatest pull in the center.

Franc T., Planar

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2007, 04:40:21 PM »
Wrong. As I keep repeating to you ignoramuses, an infinite plane has equal gravity on each side, by definition. That is what "infinity" means. So get outta here.

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2007, 04:48:33 PM »
Franc, he has as much right as you do to be on here.  This is a FE forum open to both believers and skeptics, with the subject open for debate.
Flat. Earth. Is. Psuedo. Science.

FEIPS

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2007, 04:51:04 PM »
Wait wait wait.  The Earth goes on forever?

Franc T., Planar

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2007, 04:53:13 PM »
This board is called the FLAT EARTH Society. Go start a Round Earth Society, moochers.

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2007, 04:54:28 PM »
Look at your own first page, Flat Earth Society.

Welcome to theflatearthsociety.org. This site is dedicated to the discussion of Flat Earth theories. We welcome both skeptics and believers, so please join us.
Flat. Earth. Is. Psuedo. Science.

FEIPS

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2007, 04:55:15 PM »
I smell a hypocriiiiiiiiiiit...

Franc T., Planar

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2007, 05:06:45 PM »
Get outta here, second-handers, moochers.

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2007, 05:08:48 PM »
But I'm a skeptic, and therefore welcome.  You, sir, are not a happy person.  Go see a movie.  300 was great.  I think you'd like it.  I believe the Spartans thought the world was flat, too.  You'd like them.

?

SNB

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2007, 05:32:20 PM »
Actually, I think the Spartans were pretty sure that the Earth was round, too. What with logic and reasoning. That WAS a cool movie, though. I heard Xerxes was in Lost. :o

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2007, 05:34:32 PM »
You're right.  They did believe it was round.  So nevermind, don't see 300.  They were RE'ers.  But man...they kicked ass.  I think we should form a Spartan Phalanx group to combat the demons of Hell that will attack our planet in a mere 91 years.  What say you, SNB?

?

SNB

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2007, 05:59:17 PM »
I was gonna bake cookies. Should I put them into phalanx formation?

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2007, 05:59:51 PM »
Most definitely.  We'll need all the energy we can get.

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2007, 08:49:45 PM »
As awesome as a movie 300 was, this isn't the place to talk about it.   ;D

Once again:
1) Why doesn't the air flow off the sides of the flat earth? This is the first time I've heard the "The flat earth goes on forever." I believe it was actually Franc that proposed there are people on the other side, at least at some point, for the government to trade with and somehow get money from...
2) Why doesn't the air crush us under the pressure of an ever accelerating earth/combust and burn us all?

Franc T., Planar

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2007, 09:31:12 PM »
Once again:
1) Why doesn't the air flow off the sides of the flat earth? This is the first time I've heard the "The flat earth goes on forever." I believe it was actually Franc that proposed there are people on the other side, at least at some point, for the government to trade with and somehow get money from...

Yes, that is correct. Air does not flow off the sides because there are no sides.

2) Why doesn't the air crush us under the pressure of an ever accelerating earth/combust and burn us all?

It does not accelerate.

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2007, 10:42:39 PM »
Once again:

Yes, that is correct. Air does not flow off the sides because there are no sides.

It does not accelerate.

You keep talking this infinte shit.  You have no proof.  You pulled it out of your ass.  Please provide some evidence or even a thought experiment that helps your case.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

Franc T., Planar

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2007, 10:58:48 PM »
Once again:

It does not accelerate.

You keep talking this infinte shit.  You have no proof.  You pulled it out of your ass.  Please provide some evidence or even a thought experiment that helps your case.

My case does not need help. I am in the Right.

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2007, 11:04:29 PM »
hmmm can u support that with ne evidence?
THUS concludes....thats as far as i got in my head

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2007, 11:47:47 PM »
Once again:

It does not accelerate.

But i thought the FE theory was that the world is a flat disc with an ice wall surrounding it to stop the water draining off the planet. So if the world is infinate doesn't that disprove your ice wall and with the snowballing effect disprove your whol theory? Mate you call RE a religion its not its common sense, But FE that a god damn CULT!!

Franc T., Planar

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2007, 12:18:40 AM »
Once again:

It does not accelerate.

But i thought the FE theory was that the world is a flat disc with an ice wall surrounding it to stop the water draining off the planet. So if the world is infinate doesn't that disprove your ice wall and with the snowballing effect disprove your whol theory? Mate you call RE a religion its not its common sense, But FE that a god damn CULT!!

The Ice Wall's role is not to "stop the water draining off." It just delimits our local area. Like how mountain ranges delimit some countries.

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2007, 07:43:20 AM »
So please explain this infinte plane as the FE FAQ says says that the earth is 78225 miles in diameter.  Clearly you disagree with the primary FE theory.

Also, as the FAQ states..."...the sun and moon..." not the suns and moon.

unclegravy

• I feel so fucking high!!!!!!
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2007, 04:01:59 PM »
This board is called the FLAT EARTH Society. Go start a Round Earth Society, moochers.
What would a Debate Forum be without debate? ::)
The people who feast on exclamation marks will never go hungry agaaaain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!