Do-it-yourself Experiment

• 26 Replies
Do-it-yourself Experiment
« on: March 16, 2007, 03:22:28 PM »
OK. Here's an experiment that you all can carry on in your households, with simple daily items. It wont take more than a few minutes. Will also be a good proof to those who wanted proofs.

First of all, we'll construct a very simple pendulum for the measurement:

Get some rope, and cut off a 20cm (7.87401575 inch) piece. Tie one end to any piece of mass. From your high school knowledge, remember that the oscillation period of a pendulum doesn't depend on the mass-it depends on the length of the rope-so we're safe.

Now, use a compass to find and face 45 degrees North-west (or alternatively you may use Google earth to find the direction wrt your location and turn that way).

Find a stopwatch to measure time. We will indirectly measure the total coriolis forces on the pendulum.

This part is a little tricky. Facing NW, stand up, and balance a hard-cover book (or a glass of water) on your head to preserve your upright standing. With the pendulum on your left hand and the stopwatch on your right, lift your arms 90 degrees to your sides.
Do the following things at the same time:
   1-shake the pendulum a little bit to give it a go, so it should start swinging. Count the swings it makes.
   2-Start the stopwatch
   3-Start turning around yourself counter clockwise (Clockwise if you're on the southern hemisquare)

Once you successfully finish 10 complete turns and face NW again, stop the stopwatch and record the time and the number of swings. If it took more than 30 second, please repeat it faster to get better results.

Now, still facing NW, repeat the steps 1 to 3, only this time do it on your left foot only (right foot if you're on the southern hemisquare). You may remove the book, and drink the glass of water if you wish. Again, record the time and number of oscillations.

Finally, divide the number of seconds you recorded by the number of oscillations you recorded. You should get 2 numbers for the 2 experiments you made.
If the numbers are close to each other (like 1.7 and 1.8 or 2.1241 and 2.3124), that means that the earth is spherical, so that both experiments yield the same result.
If the numbers are far apart (like 4 and 16 or 7 and 98), that means the earth is flat. The ratio of these numbers actually give you the width-thickness ratio of the flat earth.

Please post your result on this thread and let everyone see the real shape of the earth.

Re: Do-it-yourself Experiment
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 03:24:30 PM »
Post your results I can't be bothered doing pendulum experiments that merely show the rotation of the spherical Earth.

?

GPS :)

• Earth is a frisbee
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 03:26:57 PM »
OH MY GOD!

I had results of 9 and 71

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 03:28:44 PM »
Post your results I can't be bothered doing pendulum experiments that merely show the rotation of the spherical Earth.

you simply cant accept the fact that an experiment proves you wrong, can you?
Be a little open-minded, skeptic and most of all scientific! We're working with rock-solid data here, how about you?

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 03:30:51 PM »
Why would Foucault's pendulum experiment prove me wrong? The results from the experiment I guaruntee you would prove FE wrong. I don't need to carry it out as many have already carried it out and the results are easy to find.

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 03:34:12 PM »
Why would Foucault's pendulum experiment prove me wrong? The results from the experiment I guaruntee you would prove FE wrong. I don't need to carry it out as many have already carried it out and the results are easy to find.

Why cant you do it kasroa?
Dont you have a left leg kasroa?
Did you lose your left leg in a pizzahut accident which makes you hate everything shaped as a pizza kasroa?
I bet you don't like oreos too kasroa? And what about CD's? How do you feel about CD's kasroa?
Do you think that hating the earth solely because of the shape of it would bring you your left leg back kasroa?

?

the_taha

• Science Hails You...
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 05:05:26 PM »
well I dont know if I did right but I get the results like 13 to 69. does that mean anything?? cause that kind of highly scientific experiments need more thinking and attention. I did this experiment while baking a cake for my pregnant aunt.
Once I've found the truth, world seems simpler and flat...

?

SNB

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2007, 08:05:21 PM »
I got 2.718281728 and 3.141592654.

Weird.

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2007, 08:19:59 PM »
Purpose of experiment:
To determine if the coriolis effect substantiates a FE or a RE.

Theory:
Source 1

Method:
Followed Post1 of this thread

Results:
A wet shirt, table and floor, one banged up toe and a pendulum through my window (in a fit of pain) and one broken glass.

Conclusion:
Though the experiment was primarily qualitative, I learned some new things. It's a bad idea to balance glasses of water on yer head whilst acting like a scarecrow in a blizzard.

Sources:
1- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriolis_effect

unclegravy

• I feel so fucking high!!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2007, 09:28:06 PM »
From your high school knowledge, remember that the oscillation period of a pendulum doesn't depend on the mass-it depends on the length of the rope-so we're safe.
Wrong; you're talking about a Simple Pendulum, which should have all the weight concentrated on a point at the end of the pendulum. A Physical Pendulum will take weight into consideration.
The people who feast on exclamation marks will never go hungry agaaaain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2007, 09:32:07 PM »
I took it upon myself to try this experiment firsthand.  Except, I made a few minor changes to it, enhancing the accuracy of the results.  First, instead of a book on my head, I used my computer monitor, because who really wants that to fall on the floor?  Then, instead of facing 45 degrees NW, I face 24 degrees south just for the hell of it.  As I was spinning clockwise and swinging the pendulum, I was also trying to solve a puzzle on Wheel Of Fortune, which I missed by a few letters BTW.  I then repeated the steps, only this time spinning counter-clockwise on 10 crushed lightbulbs.  As I was spinning I saw vivid hallucinations of ice walls, earth pockets, and Tom.  It scared me, as I went into an epileptic fit, and eventually came to, staring eye-to-eye with the Coriolis Effect.  Coriolis simply told me that I should quit wasting my time, and the answer is obviously [pi^2(circumfrence of nearest donut)/length of penis].  I thought to myself, why didn't I think of this before?  Then that answer also became clear, because I'm not a retard.

?

SNB

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2007, 09:33:33 PM »
Retard is a BAD WORD.

Franc T., Planar

• Leader of the Planar Army, Republic of Canada
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2007, 09:34:30 PM »
If you're a retard.
Broadcasting live from the Republic of Canada!

They say death and taxes are the only two absolutes. Actually, they're only half right.

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2007, 09:34:49 PM »

?

SNB

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2007, 09:35:44 PM »
And then I came upon the realisation that nobody here is above the age of fourteen.

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2007, 09:36:17 PM »
"There's no such thing as a bad word. It's the bastard calling you the words you should worry about"
Courtecy of George Carlin

Franc T., Planar

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2007, 09:36:25 PM »
Shouldn't you be in bed, kid?

They say death and taxes are the only two absolutes. Actually, they're only half right.

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2007, 09:38:58 PM »
Shouldn't you quit with these hair-brained theories that are proven incorrect at every turn?

Franc T., Planar

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2007, 09:43:50 PM »
I rarely never been proven incorrect about anything. This is not one of those cases.

?

SNB

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2007, 09:45:27 PM »
I rarely never been proven incorrect about anything. This is not one of those cases.

This is proof that BabelFish rarely produces comprehensible translations.

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2007, 09:48:40 PM »

English please?

And I'm sure you've been proving wrong your whole life, you're just too ignorant to notice it.  It's ok, you'll find out eventually when you have no friends.....but wouldn't that mean you would've found out by now?

Franc T., Planar

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2007, 09:52:08 PM »

English please?

And I'm sure you've been proving wrong your whole life, you're just too ignorant to notice it.  It's ok, you'll find out eventually when you have no friends.....but wouldn't that mean you would've found out by now?

I have plenty of friends. We have a group on Skype, not on a message board.

If anyone wants to talk to me on Skype, my username is francoistremblay28144.

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2007, 10:04:22 PM »
No, no.  I'm talking actual friends that you can do activities with.(other than WoW)

Franc T., Planar

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2007, 10:10:27 PM »
No, no.  I'm talking actual friends that you can do activities with.(other than WoW)

It's too hard to find people who agree with me in the real world. Especially in this redneck-filled, right-wing, yellow-ribbon, flag-waving shithole.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
  • GPS does not require satellites.
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2007, 10:11:38 PM »
Enough.

"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson

Franc T., Planar

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2007, 10:17:15 PM »
Hey, I'm just talking about the town I am now in. Wenatchee, WA.

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2007, 04:39:40 AM »
MY GOD of course its hard to find friends with the same views as you.....

NO ONE IS DUMB ENOUGH TO BELIEVE IN THIS MIND BOGELING GARBAGE THAT YOU PEOPLE KEEP RANTING ABOUT

this so called experiment leads to nothing, it doesnt prove anything other than that the human neck can only support so much weight, and that balance is an issue i need to work on. plz rid us RE people of your ignorance. we will find u a nice flat asteroid u can live on and blast the some 20 of u crazed FE extremists half way across the galaxy.

but dont worry, according to you its probly only a couple days away.