Qantas offers overflights of Antarctica

• 45 Replies

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
  • GPS does not require satellites.
Re: Qantas offers overflights of Antarctica
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2007, 03:47:08 PM »
Yea, but luckily, there is a bunch of ice there, up north, to stand on.

"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson

Matrixfart

• The earth is as flat as a marble. Oh wait...
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2007, 03:51:17 PM »
Yea, but luckily, there is a bunch of ice there, up north, to stand on.
Typo. I was referring to the magnetic north pole.
Why hold on to a fanatical belief when facts laughs at you?

« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2007, 12:05:07 PM »
But if the Earth is flat why cant the people see of the edge?

Because there is a good deal of landmass between the Ice Wall and the supposed edge of the earth. Thousands of miles, in fact. That amount of air density would obscure view.

Besides, considering that no one has ever seen edge, it's quite possible that the lands beyond Antarctica are infinite, stretching perpetually into the distance.

Maybe on the other side of the wall the apes rule the world and the humans live in trees.

?

Marinade

• FE is for laughing at... not with.
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2007, 05:08:53 PM »
And nobody has ever been back since... ::)

There have been many trips to the Ice Wall since 1841. The majority of these trips have been simple come-and-go trips, however.

Not many people have dared traverse the infinite plane of frozen tundra. The ones who have tried either had gone forever missing or got turned around and made a big semicircle back to the coast due the magnetic layout. Any books or reports you might read of a transcontinental Antarctic excursion are either genuine mistakes or outright hoaxes.

Where did I say traverse? I said measure it's circumference. I even worked out the approximate distance you should get. Set a flag every 100 kms and sail around until you get to the first flag again. It will be an approximation but it will be close enough to tell if it's 20,000 kms or 62,000 kms, or if you're an idiot around 200 flags = round earth around 620 flags = flat earth.

Are you hoping this will go away too?
Haha Tom is so funny. He can't be serious, no one is that stubborn or dumb.

?

Tom Bishop

« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2007, 05:36:51 PM »
Are you hoping this will go away too?

That sounds like a simple enough experiment, but unfortunately no one on this forum is prepared to preform it. They'll need a budget in the hundreds of thousands in order to commission an expeditionary crew willing to travel tens of thousands of miles and circumnavigate Antarctica for a number of months. There is also the matter of supplies, finding a capable ship, hazard insurance, attaining the proper permits. It all adds up.

« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2007, 05:43:27 PM »
Or you could just book a cruise ship around Antarctica and time how long it takes...

?

Tom Bishop

« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2007, 07:27:44 PM »
Or you could just book a cruise ship around Antarctica and time how long it takes...

I've been trying to book a cruise around Antarctica for years. Every season they've been either booked or canceled all together.

« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2007, 09:38:48 PM »
maybe u should try a little harder...i;ve had friends who go..

Person at the desk- "OMG it's TOM! again!! what should i tell him this time"

Person in backroom - "umm jus ttell him the ship broke...when will this guy give up"

because the WHOLE world is against TOM!!
THUS concludes....thats as far as i got in my head

?

Vladdie

« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2007, 03:52:31 AM »
FE’rs I have 1 question: Is the flat earth “theory” falsifiable, and how?

I ask this because as far as I have seen on this site no video or photographical evidence can be used because it has all somehow been edited thus negating all high altitude and satellite evidence. No exploration/mapping of Antarctica or the surrounding region can be trusted because all explorers, sailors and pilots are either lying or have fallen for a optical or magnetically created illusion. No astronaut can be trusted because they have all been bribed by a massive conspiracy that no one knows about but must exist because otherwise the earth would have no reason to be flat. The only plus part of being a FE’r is that you can “know” there must be an undetectable but existing con :Dspiracy that in some constant yet undeterminable way makes it worth while for this conspiracy to be carried for centuries, how smart they must feel to “know” all this without any supporting facts. Let’s give them a round of applause!

I contend that even if I should pay to fly these stringent FE’rs to Rothera and piggy back them in straight line past the south pole to Casey and fly them to Tasmania and then back home they will blame it on ‘uber advanced virtual reality display screens’ hidden in their snow goggles. Also should I invest in hiring an icebreaker to circumnavigate Antarctica there will be upon successful completion of such a journey only grunts of disgust because I would have inevitably also succeeded in fooling them in some undetectable way.

It is my sincere hope that those who advocate flat earth get a life and wake up to the wondrous reality of space, buy a telescope look at the planets record their movements, inevitably you will find we live on a little blue ball. However in the interim to the rest of humankind I say: We should treat this website (and all flat earth material for that matter) to be for our entertainment, the flat earth belief does not pertain to fact or logic, but these can be used to irritate it, so enjoy!

?

The Terror

• Flat Earth Propane Tank
« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2007, 04:42:36 AM »
A major problem with the conspiracy theory (one of many) is that it relies on explorers and scientists to maintain the conspiracy. And those types of people tend not to be motivated by wealth. The idea that they've all been bribed into secrecy is preposterous.

?

Tom Bishop

« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2007, 09:47:50 AM »
It is my sincere hope that those who advocate flat earth get a life and wake up to the wondrous reality of space, buy a telescope look at the planets record their movements, inevitably you will find we live on a little blue ball.

What about astronomy implies that we live on a ball?

A major problem with the conspiracy theory (one of many) is that it relies on explorers and scientists to maintain the conspiracy. And those types of people tend not to be motivated by wealth.

I'm pretty sure every scientist and explorer is motivated by wealth.

?

Tom Bishop

« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2007, 10:08:24 AM »
Just when I think I've read the stupidest post ever, you go and post another.

Do you think scientists want to live on Antarctica for six months straight in the freezing tundra? Do you somehow think scientists have a burning desire to study the Antarctic coast without incentive? Have you really been that foolish?

The reality of the matter is explorers and scientists study what they're told to study. They operate on limited funds handed out by the government. Rarely will you find a self-employed scientist.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 10:20:04 AM by Tom Bishop »

« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2007, 11:23:59 AM »
Just when I think I've read the stupidest post ever, you go and post another.

Do you think scientists want to live on Antarctica for six months straight in the freezing tundra? Do you somehow think scientists have a burning desire to study the Antarctic coast without incentive? Have you really been that foolish?

The reality of the matter is explorers and scientists study what they're told to study. They operate on limited funds handed out by the government. Rarely will you find a self-employed scientist.

Tom Bishop the Self-Employed Scientist.
Proving the World Flat since 1962.
"Oh, judge, your damn laws: the good people don't need them and the bad people don't follow them so what good are they?"

It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets

?

Vladdie

« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2007, 11:47:42 AM »
Tom, you rascal, you seem to have neglected to answer my question. (Tsk,tsk tsk)

You ask: “What about astronomy implies that we live on a ball?” An unbiased and inquisitive mind works on figuring things out, thus observing other planets and recording their movement will tell you about their individual orbits and lead you to be able to conclude things about “your own” orbit will it not, or will this just be a optical illusion? Humans have the capability to measure and compare. Failure to do so results in ridiculous beliefs such as your own to be held ad infinitum. Test you beliefs and if they don’t work throw them to the wayside. 

Amazingly you go on to say “Do you think scientists want to live on Antarctica for six months straight in the freezing tundra? Do you somehow think scientists have a burning desire to study the Antarctic coast without incentive?
The reality of the matter is explorers and scientists study what they're told to study. They operate on limited funds handed out by the government. Rarely will you find a self-employed scientist.”

Well my dear Tom your ignorance is at it again “without incentive” jeeesh! -painfully ignorant. The basis of your error lies therein that they do not go only to study the coast, do you have the faintest idea what fascinating life forms the arctic environment produces?! It’s fascinating! There are algae that live inside rocks! Imagine that you pick up a rock, bash it, and about 1 cm in there are algae still alive! And that’s to mention just amazing one life form. To all branches of science Antarctica presents an amazing new ground to break, it requires a paradigm shift in thought, it’s mental and physical adventure! How can you not understand how fascinating such a new and different environment can be? I will in all probability one day venture there but out not for science (mine is psychology if you must ask) but rather of my sometimes masochistic but always adventurous nature. Most of what we have today is because we as humans have a innate desire to discover and figure things out.

I can’t wait for space tourism to become more affordably priced I would have doubtlessly forgotten about this webpage by then and this site would in all likeliness (you never know how persistent a crazy belief can be) not exist anymore. But if I could go tomorrow it would appeal to my delightful mischievousness to be able to post a message from space. What great fun it would be!

?

J

« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2007, 10:44:56 PM »
check mate
and *bump*

« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2007, 10:58:15 PM »
But if the Earth is flat why cant the people see of the edge?

Because there is a good deal of landmass between the Ice Wall and the supposed edge of the earth. Thousands of miles, in fact. That amount of air density would obscure view.

Besides, considering that no one has ever seen edge, it's quite possible that the lands beyond Antarctica are infinite, stretching perpetually into the distance.

if nobody has seen it how do we know its real.

i do believe that SOMEONE has seen basically every inch of the earth.

atleast enough to knwo its a round earth

Rarely will you find a self-employed scientist.

Tom Bishop the Self-Employed Scientist.
Proving the World Flat since 1962.