Horizon

• 45 Replies
Horizon
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2006, 10:26:48 PM »
Quote from: "cheesejoff"
Quote from: "Erasmus"
Take a long-exposure photograph of the sky.  Get a black marker.  Color in every star in the photograph.  Every time you color one in, eat a cookie.  Keep track of the number of cookies you eat.  When the whole photo is black, the number of cookies you have eaten is the number of stars you could see.

That's perhaps the best method for counting the occurences of things that I have ever heard. Granted it has it's drawbacks, the number of cookies required, the possibility of being sick if you eat too many, as well as the fact it's quite unhealthy, but nonetheless, brilliant. :D

theres no possible angle to take that picture and fit all the stars in it. And ocording to my beliefs some stars are to far away to see. So we don't see all of them. Like when you look at small things and get far away. And FE people watch a plane. They go under the horizon.
he Earth is flat, because if it wasnt then how do you explain the 1,000,000,000+ mile in circumference 125 foot tall ice barrier at the edge of the earth [which is round, but flat like a 2D circle]? and if 1+1=2 then the earth is flat.

Horizon
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2006, 11:23:55 PM »
theres no possible angle to take that picture and fit all the stars in it. And ocording to my beliefs some stars are to far away to see. So we don't see all of them.

There doesn't need to be.  Of course there are stars farther away (too far to see).  Erasmus was just proving a point.  Simply looking at the sky can't give you the impression that it is infinite because it, in fact, looks like a black wall with a finite number of stars on it.  Having learned that the universe is infinite though, one could get that impression when looking at the sky because they already have the belief in their mind.  I will admit, though, that it's possible for somebody to think it's infinite simply by looking at the night sky (even without having ever been taught that theory).
ooyakasha!

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
Horizon
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2006, 01:57:50 AM »
Quote from: "I are a believer"
theres no possible angle to take that picture and fit all the stars in it.

So, if your photograph covers x% of the sky, multiply the number of cookies by 100/x.

Or, repeat the procedure at different times of night and year, and in both hemispheres.  You'll still get a finite number when you're done, even if the photos overlapped and you double counted.

C'mon, did you really need me to think of that?

And ocording to my beliefs some stars are to far away to see. So we don't see all of them.

Right, so what you *can* see certainly ends.
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

Horizon
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2006, 08:53:34 AM »
Quote from: "Erasmus"
theres no possible angle to take that picture and fit all the stars in it.

So, if your photograph covers x% of the sky, multiply the number of cookies by 100/x.

Or, repeat the procedure at different times of night and year, and in both hemispheres.  You'll still get a finite number when you're done, even if the photos overlapped and you double counted.

C'mon, did you really need me to think of that?

And ocording to my beliefs some stars are to far away to see. So we don't see all of them.

Right, so what you *can* see certainly ends.

Well what I can see ends, but the hubble telescope see's tihngs I cannot with my eye, it goes further in the the things to far away for me to see. And there are things even further. This convinces me its infinate, I say INfinate not because of how many I see but because of the theory that stars are always forming and disapearing at a quit random timespan, you could never count them all. And sadly theres no enough dough in the entire world to count all the stars  that are in this universe.
he Earth is flat, because if it wasnt then how do you explain the 1,000,000,000+ mile in circumference 125 foot tall ice barrier at the edge of the earth [which is round, but flat like a 2D circle]? and if 1+1=2 then the earth is flat.

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
Horizon
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2006, 08:49:43 PM »
Well what I can see ends, but the hubble telescope see's tihngs I cannot with my eye, it goes further in the the things to far away for me to see.

So if you'll go back a ways in this thread you'll find that you said:

Look up in a starry night it seems never ending.

When you're looking up in the night sky, are you using the Hubble Space Telescope?

And sadly theres no enough dough in the entire world to count all the stars  that are in this universe.

That, my friend, truly is a shame.

-Erasmus

Horizon
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2006, 03:17:03 PM »
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCK U RETARDS!!!!!!!!!!!

Horizon
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2006, 09:10:13 AM »
If the universe was an infinate mass, then how the hell can our scientist accout for what was it 4% of its mass, someone is wrong.

?

joffenz

• The Elder Ones
Horizon
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2006, 10:17:58 AM »
Quote from: "the grim squeaker"
If the universe was an infinate mass, then how the hell can our scientist accout for what was it 4% of its mass, someone is wrong.

That's an approximation...

Horizon
« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2006, 10:29:36 AM »
>>so<<
OOYASHAKA!

Horizon
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2006, 10:36:18 AM »

That's an approximation...

well its a shit approximation
seriouse what is 4% if infinty give me a number

Horizon
« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2006, 11:40:48 AM »
The universe cannot be an infinite mass. If it was, gravity would be so intense that immediately after the big bang, we would have had a big crunch.

The Big Flop: Starring GOD

'Hmm, Maybe I'll go for a finite mass in the next one...'
img]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a330/Akapvaious/Sensei.jpg[/img]

Horizon
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2006, 01:59:51 PM »
we call the universe and infinate mass because it is everything
if there were parralle universes they would be part of the universe because the are somthing.

?

joffenz

• The Elder Ones
Horizon
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2006, 05:24:47 AM »

4% of the known universe...

if there were parralle universes they would be part of the universe because the are somthing.

Actually they would be part of the omniverse.

Horizon
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2006, 07:49:49 PM »

4% of the known universe...

Actually they would be part of the omniverse.

Key word there being; Potato.

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
Horizon
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2006, 01:39:48 AM »
So, if you will promise not to throw pies at me, I will suggest that the universe may in fact have an arbitrarily large, increasing, but finite mass.

Since there are very distant massive objects whose speed relative to us is close to that of light, their relativistic mass must be approaching inifinity.  Since the universe's expansion is accelerating, we can only expect this mass to increase without bound.

Good thing that stuff is far away.

-Erasmus

?

Basebombshelly

Horizon
« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2007, 02:27:56 PM »