The good ol' ship disappearing over the horizon question.

• 123 Replies

BadBuc99

• Earth is flat, sun is local, and you are created!
Re: The good ol' ship disappearing over the horizon question.
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2017, 03:43:07 PM »
I know I'm right, because I'm the only one showing observable proofs. You and your ilk just throw out innuendos, spin, and rhetoric. You never show any proof whatsoever to back up your claims. NEVER!!!

Again, I have described an experiment done by myself and shown how anyone can repeat it.  You've posted videos that it is apparent you did not film.

There is no proof that magnification increases the observable horizon.  IF it did then as the zoom changes the amount of the object hidden by the horizon should also change.  It does not.

LMAO! "I have done an experiment!"  I won't produce any proof of such experiment...you'll just have to take my word for it!

Do you know how stupid you sound? I feel a slight brain cramp just posting with you over your nonsensical, self exalting dogmatic rhetoric.

You literally say without saying it..."I reject reality, and substitute it with my own!" 

?

frenat

« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2017, 03:46:27 PM »
I know I'm right, because I'm the only one showing observable proofs. You and your ilk just throw out innuendos, spin, and rhetoric. You never show any proof whatsoever to back up your claims. NEVER!!!

Again, I have described an experiment done by myself and shown how anyone can repeat it.  You've posted videos that it is apparent you did not film.

There is no proof that magnification increases the observable horizon.  IF it did then as the zoom changes the amount of the object hidden by the horizon should also change.  It does not.

LMAO! "I have done an experiment!"  I won't produce any proof of such experiment...you'll just have to take my word for it!

Do you know how stupid you sound? I feel a slight brain cramp just posting with you over your nonsensical, self exalting dogmatic rhetoric.

You literally say without saying it..."I reject reality, and substitute it with my own!"
Except I give all the details necessary for ANYONE to repeat the experiment so NOBODY has to take my word for it.

BadBuc99

« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2017, 03:53:15 PM »

Except I give all the details necessary for ANYONE to repeat the experiment.

Well next time you speak at the AAAS, and tell everyone that you did an experiment without a single iota of proof, and then tell how they too can do it...then you can expect The Copley Medal for outstandingly nothing! 

?

frenat

« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2017, 04:02:30 PM »

Except I give all the details necessary for ANYONE to repeat the experiment.

Well next time you speak at the AAAS, and tell everyone that you did an experiment without a single iota of proof, and then tell how they too can do it...then you can expect The Copley Medal for outstandingly nothing!
And what experiments have you proposed?  You've just declared you're right with nothing to back you up. 

Careful, your anger is showing.

hoppy

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2017, 05:10:20 PM »
Badbuc 1
Frenat   0
God is real.                                         
http://www.scribd.com/doc/9665708/Flat-Earth-Bible-02-of-10-The-Flat-Earth

BadBuc99

« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2017, 05:29:45 PM »

?

frenat

« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2017, 05:59:59 PM »
https://twitter.com/BadBuc99/status/821757563943456770
fixed the link for you.  The link you posted will not work with an img tag as it is not a direct link to the image.

Still wrong just like the first time you posted it.  Magnification can not change a horizon.  You claim it is both perspective and height.  If it could be changed by magnification then someone with better eyesight would see a farther horizon.  but they don't.  It is based solely on height of the observer and calculable based on that.  Objects over the horizon can not be brought back with magnification.  If they are completely over the horizon then they are gone unless height is increased.  If they are partially hidden they will remain partially hidden unless height is increased.  You've shown nothing proving otherwise.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 06:01:47 PM by frenat »

?

Twerp

• Gutter Sniper
  • Flat Earth Almost Believer
“Heaven is being governed by Devil nowadays..” - Wise

Bullwinkle

• The Elder Ones
  • Standard Idiot
« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2017, 09:18:28 PM »
fixed the link for you.

Fixed the fix for you.   ;)

« Reply #69 on: January 24, 2017, 11:58:53 PM »

The real illusion it Is that the earth is flat.
The earth is a globe, Proof
1 we have been to the moon, and have pictures of the earth from the moon.
2 the ISS is real and in orbit around the globe.
3 weather satellite pictures are real.
4 GPS uses satellites.
I could go on but I think that's enough.
The the universe has no obligation to makes sense to you.
The earth is a globe.

Gumby

• I don't exist.
« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2017, 01:15:27 AM »
Why the red boat became whit at minute 11?
Why the hull looks like the deck?
How dumb can you be?
I think MH370 was hijacked and the persons who did the hijacking were indeed out to prove a flat earth.

BadBuc99

« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2017, 06:01:44 AM »

4 GPS uses satellites.

This is not a debate forum.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2017, 05:25:21 PM »

4 GPS uses satellites.

This is not a debate forum.
True but, go look in The real illusion it Is that the earth is flat. « on: Today at 11:22:37 AM ».
There it is in the debate forum for you.

« Reply #73 on: January 26, 2017, 08:27:00 PM »
I riddle you this FE'ers. How can a ship dip below the horizon if the earth is flat?

I have personally seen a ship go over the horizon with a telescope. It is quite fascinating to see the ship gradually sink lower and lower on the horizon till it disappears.

This is of course only one of the many holes in your theory, but I would still like to see what the believers in here have to say about it. Please to not direct me to your obscure and false FAQ or some other thread. Prove me wrong, or fail trying. 8)

I'll give it a shot! All the answers I've come across just comes down to the distance our eyes can see. As a boat "sinks down into the curvature", what we are actually seeing is just a reflection in the water as the object leaves human perspective (this is, of course, at a great distance when atmospheric conditions get involved). The water line in the ocean isn't where our eyes see, but you can clearly see where the reflection begins and ends in my picture examples, indicating where the water line actually is.  (EDIT* The reflection takes place after the ships and boats pass the wave front edge.) This is like a mirage/mirroring effect because our eyes (and magnifying devices) can only see so far. The sun does this as it leaves us over the ocean, as well.

Just a couple of examples:

Time and time again, I've watched video evidence of people showing a boat go completely out of view, then they zoom in and the boat is completely visible again. This is repeated only until the camera can no longer zoom in.

So the boats are just leaving our perspective. Another example is the, what I think is called, Bedford Levels experiment (Bedford Levels is a perfectly straight canal for six miles), and this Samuel Rowbottom person (spell check) put a telescope about 8 inches above the water and sent a rowboat with a flag on the back and watched him row to the other side, and could see the flag and the boat the entire time. And I've watched this video explaining a bit on the equation that says (spherical trigonometry, I think) the curve of the earth is 8 inches per mile squared. So over five miles (the canal was six miles), the boat should be 16 feet below the horizon. (5x5=25 8x25=200 inches)

Any thoughts?

As for your personal experience, what if I had been there with a stronger magnifying device and I zoomed in on the boat after you watched it go over the curvature?

"Another great example is the Notre Dame Antwerp spire standing 403 feet high from the foot of the tower with Strasburg measuring 468 feet above sea level. With the aid of a telescope, ships can be distinguished on the horizon and captains declare they can see the cathedral spire from an amazing 150 miles away. If the Earth were a globe, however, at that distance the spire should be an entire mile, 5,280 feet below the horizon!"
Here's a little quote from

https://aplanetruth.info/2015/03/29/22-is-the-earth-a-sphere-lighthouses-and-distant-lands/

But you can look into that on any website...

It also probably helps to understand how our perspective works

We see in a pyramid-like shape. To put into words, in addition to picture aid, (with the horizon obviously in the center) everything below the horizon seems to go up and everything above the horizon seems to go down as the sides go inward. We witness this walking down a very long hotel or cruise ship hallway. Even as we look at things at a far distance, our own perspective can obscure what we are looking at.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 08:52:39 AM by flatearthemily »

« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2017, 10:39:07 PM »
Time and time again, I've watched video evidence of people showing a boat go completely out of view, then they zoom in and the boat is completely visible again. This is repeated only until the camera can no longer zoom in.

If you could provide links to some of that video evidence that would be great. As far as I know there's none been posted here.

Probably better to start a new thread in FE Debate rather than put them on this Q&A thread.

« Reply #75 on: February 19, 2017, 12:27:23 AM »
I riddle you this FE'ers. How can a ship dip below the horizon if the earth is flat?

I have personally seen a ship go over the horizon with a telescope. It is quite fascinating to see the ship gradually sink lower and lower on the horizon till it disappears.

This is of course only one of the many holes in your theory, but I would still like to see what the believers in here have to say about it. Please to not direct me to your obscure and false FAQ or some other thread. Prove me wrong, or fail trying. 8)

I'll give it a shot! All the answers I've come across just comes down to the distance our eyes can see. As a boat "sinks down into the curvature", what we are actually seeing is just a reflection in the water as the object leaves human perspective (this is, of course, at a great distance when atmospheric conditions get involved). The water line in the ocean isn't where our eyes see, but you can clearly see where the reflection begins and ends in my picture examples, indicating where the water line actually is.  (EDIT* The reflection takes place after the ships and boats pass the wave front edge.) This is like a mirage/mirroring effect because our eyes (and magnifying devices) can only see so far. The sun does this as it leaves us over the ocean, as well.

Just a couple of examples:

So the boats are just leaving our perspective. Another example is the, what I think is called, Bedford Levels experiment (Bedford Levels is a perfectly straight canal for six miles), and this Samuel Rowbottom person (spell check) put a telescope about 8 inches above the water and sent a rowboat with a flag on the back and watched him row to the other side, and could see the flag and the boat the entire time. And I've watched this video explaining a bit on the equation that says (spherical trigonometry, I think) the curve of the earth is 8 inches per mile squared. So over five miles (the canal was six miles), the boat should be 16 feet below the horizon. (5x5=25 8x25=200 inches)

Any thoughts?

As for your personal experience, what if I had been there with a stronger magnifying device and I zoomed in on the boat after you watched it go over the curvature?

"Another great example is the Notre Dame Antwerp spire standing 403 feet high from the foot of the tower with Strasburg measuring 468 feet above sea level. With the aid of a telescope, ships can be distinguished on the horizon and captains declare they can see the cathedral spire from an amazing 150 miles away. If the Earth were a globe, however, at that distance the spire should be an entire mile, 5,280 feet below the horizon!"

https://aplanetruth.info/2015/03/29/22-is-the-earth-a-sphere-lighthouses-and-distant-lands/

But you can look into that on any website...

It also probably helps to understand how our perspective works

We see in a pyramid-like shape. To put into words, in addition to picture aid, (with the horizon obviously in the center) everything below the horizon seems to go up and everything above the horizon seems to go down as the sides go inward. We witness this walking down a very long hotel or cruise ship hallway. Even as we look at things at a far distance, our own perspective can obscure what we are looking at.

Your math is wrong. It is not 8 inches per 5 miles squared (8*5^2), it is 8 inches per square mile ( a square area 1 mile by 1 mile). So at 5 miles an object would only be 40 inches below the horizon or 3 feet 4 inches (8 in.*5 square miles, because there are 5 squares that are 1 mile by 1 mile between you and the object).

And the spire would be visible at 150 miles out because the building would be 1200 inches (100 feet) below the horizon, because there are 150 square miles between you and the spire of Notre Dame.

JackBlack

« Reply #76 on: February 20, 2017, 01:23:45 AM »
Your math is wrong. It is not 8 inches per 5 miles squared (8*5^2), it is 8 inches per square mile ( a square area 1 mile by 1 mile). So at 5 miles an object would only be 40 inches below the horizon or 3 feet 4 inches (8 in.*5 square miles, because there are 5 squares that are 1 mile by 1 mile between you and the object).

And the spire would be visible at 150 miles out because the building would be 1200 inches (100 feet) below the horizon, because there are 150 square miles between you and the spire of Notre Dame.

No. It is 8 inches per mile squared, not 8 inches per square mile.
It is based on a parabola which approximates a sphere for low values.

As such, something which is 150 miles away, (assuming your eyes are at sea level), would be hidden by 180 000 feet.

I can go through the more complicated math if you like.

« Reply #77 on: February 20, 2017, 02:43:46 AM »
You've just parroted this from the many websites that also blindly parrot it.  If you read it carefully, it doesn't even make any sense:

"Another great example is the Notre Dame Antwerp spire standing 403 feet high from the foot of the tower with Strasburg [sic] measuring 468 feet above sea level."

Eh, what?  What has the Antwerp tower got to do with the Strasbourg one?  This sentence makes no sense.

"With the aid of a telescope, ships can be distinguished on the horizon and captains declare they can see the cathedral spire from an amazing 150 miles away."

Which cathedral?  What ships?  I bet it's not the Strasbourg on, as it right in the middle of Western Europe, over 300 miles to the coast!   Unless this "ships captain" has actually somehow grounded his boat in Zurich.

As for Antwerp: It's only 120 miles from South East coast of England to Antwerp - and trust me, you can't see cathedral towers in Belgium while stood on the Kent coast. 

Do you think your "ships captains" might just be made up by any chance?
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #78 on: February 20, 2017, 03:27:13 AM »
You've just parroted this from the many websites that also blindly parrot it.  If you read it carefully, it doesn't even make any sense:

"Another great example is the Notre Dame Antwerp spire standing 403 feet high from the foot of the tower with Strasburg [sic] measuring 468 feet above sea level."

Eh, what?  What has the Antwerp tower got to do with the Strasbourg one?  This sentence makes no sense.

"With the aid of a telescope, ships can be distinguished on the horizon and captains declare they can see the cathedral spire from an amazing 150 miles away."

Which cathedral?  What ships?  I bet it's not the Strasbourg on, as it right in the middle of Western Europe, over 300 miles to the coast!   Unless this "ships captain" has actually somehow grounded his boat in Zurich.

As for Antwerp: It's only 120 miles from South East coast of England to Antwerp - and trust me, you can't see cathedral towers in Belgium while stood on the Kent coast. 

Do you think your "ships captains" might just be made up by any chance?
flatearthemily certainly has the quote right, here is the full quote from
Quote from: Eric Dubay
The Atlantean Conspiracy, Flat Earth Enlightenment From Lighthouses
Another great example is the Notre Dame Antwerp spire standing 403 feet high from the foot of the tower with Strasburg measuring 468 feet above sea level.  With the aid of a telescope, ships can be distinguished on the horizon and captains declare they can see the cathedral spire from an amazing 150 miles away.  If the Earth were a globe, however, at that distance the spire should be an entire mile, 5,280 feet below the horizon!

The Atlantean Conspiracy, , Flat Earth Enlightenment From Lighthouses

So, flatearthemily, like a fully a indoctrinated little sheeple just copies from the master, even though it makes no sense at all.

« Reply #79 on: February 20, 2017, 03:50:29 AM »

Meanwhile, I can give plenty of videos on youtube that we all can watch that disproves your "false News" claim. Funny, why didn't you record your event for all to see? "False news", "false news", "false news"!

Here are a few of those videos:

Now, lets see your video where a ship dips over the alleged curvature of the ocean. Just keep in mind bunky, water becomes horizontally flat once it fills a void, your curvature claim is garbage!

« Reply #80 on: February 20, 2017, 08:00:11 AM »

Meanwhile, I can give plenty of videos on youtube that we all can watch that disproves your "false News" claim. Funny, why didn't you record your event for all to see? "False news", "false news", "false news"!

Now, lets see your video where a ship dips over the alleged curvature of the ocean. Just keep in mind bunky, water becomes horizontally flat once it fills a void, your curvature claim is garbage!
Ok, let me ask you.  Why does water appear to become horizontally flat?  What force makes it do that?

JackBlack

« Reply #81 on: February 20, 2017, 12:09:57 PM »

And of course, what does the video show?
It shows the ship sinking below the horizon as would be expected for a round Earth. If Earth was flat, no part of it should sink.

Good job for once again providing evidence that shows Earth is round.

If you want to refute Earth being round, show me the coast of Europe from the coast of the US, taken from no more than a few m above sea level.

« Reply #82 on: February 20, 2017, 12:34:51 PM »

It shows the ship sinking below the horizon as would be expected for a round Earth. If Earth was flat, no part of it should sink.

If you want to refute Earth being round, show me the coast of Europe from the coast of the US, taken from no more than a few m above sea level.

Perspective, waves, water evaporation, convergence, and decreasing visibility range, is why the ship is disappearing, not because it is "falling off the edge".....err....going over any curvature.

"show me the coast of Europe from the coast of the US, taken from no more than a few m above sea level."

Would you believe it, or find some way to reject it? It's a mirage, or some silly BS like that.

JackBlack

« Reply #83 on: February 20, 2017, 12:53:33 PM »
Perspective, waves, water evaporation, convergence, and decreasing visibility range, is why the ship is disappearing, not because it is "falling off the edge".....err....going over any curvature.
And none of that explains it.
Perspective would only make it go smaller, not disappear.
They are clearly above the waves, so at most the waves just obscure the small part which is the peak of the wave, which would be pretty much the same when it was much closer to shore.
Water evaporation, causing refraction would work against you, resulting in more of the boat being visible for longer, not making it disappearing.
What do you mean by "convergence"?
Decreasing visibility range also clearly isn't an issue as the boat is still visible while it is shrinking.

So nope. None of that is why the ship is disappearing.

"show me the coast of Europe from the coast of the US, taken from no more than a few m above sea level."

Would you believe it, or find some way to reject it? It's a mirage, or some silly BS like that.
I would believe it, if it could easily be done by almost anyone.
Instead, no one has ever been able to do that. I wonder why...

Also do you notice how you now accuse us of doing the very same thing you repeatedly do.
We have brought up plenty of evidence, and you just reject it, without any rational justification.

?

sir_awesome123

• proud NASA shill
« Reply #84 on: February 20, 2017, 02:00:08 PM »

in the video distance from shore is derived from the speed of the ship. the ships angle when departing the bay isn't calculated, and there is no evidence to say that the ship maintained a constant velocity; so exact distances in miles or kilometers are meaningless in this video.

however there is a ship departing from the camera at some speed. the ship does disappear starting at the bottom, as you would expect if the earth were round. however since the back of the boat was never measured and distance isn't precisely measured, any conjecture on how much of the boat should be visible is meaningless. so all we know is that it disappeared, bottom up.

perspective isn't selective, if you look at your friend on the other end of a long hallway, their feet will appear smaller, but not disappear. im assuming the camera is several feet above sea level so waves on a flat earth would hide pretty much the same amount of the boat at 50 feet as they would at 5000 (since they probably dont even come 1/30 of the height of the camera). evaporating water vapor causes what most people observe as heat waves, when you look at a hot surface and the air above it looks all wavy, this is why las vegas has been called the floating city, why then at night when this wavy effect goes away, can you see the sky scrapers in vegas, but not the car headlights. convergences cause more water evaporation, so you listed that one twice. visibility range does decrease, thats why the boat gets all hazey as it gets further away, but i dont know why haze would make the boat seem to sink into the ocean instead of just becoming less clear.
"hey what are you doing?"
"nothing, just arguing with this dude, he thinks the earth is flat"
"no really, what are you doing?"

rabinoz

• Real Earth Believer
« Reply #85 on: February 20, 2017, 03:27:48 PM »

Ship visible at 12 miles on horizon : FLAT EARTH ADDICT 01, Flat Earth Addict

At 8:41 a lot of the ship has disappeared. Maybe not as much as calculated, but refraction is very variable. You have seen the Toronto photos I suppose, varying from almost completely hidden to quite a bit visible.

Quote from: physical observer
]
Analyzed: "How Boats Vanish Over The Horizon" ON A FLAT EARTH. from YouTube'r " EmpyThea Princess", DITRH
Please explain why so many FE "ships hidden" videos are taken under mirage conditions? In this video, the presenter claims that the real horizon level is at the apparent water level. I do not agree. The "mirage" causing the reflection affects objects below it, close to water level and moves the apparent water level, NOT the ship, which is at a higher level.

I claim that the true water level is at the "mirroring line". This attempt at deception is why so many FE "ships dissappearing" videos are taken when there is a mirage mirroring the water. Take a look at:
]
Flat Earth Conspiracy.com Red Boat Video, Flat Earth Conspiracy
And Jeranism does exactly the same in:
]
Boats Prove No Curvature - Earth is Flat, jeranism
Over and over we see the same thing!

US Navy Submarine Chief: What Curve? - Flat Earth - Part One, 7th Day Truth Seeker
I am not going to wade through 1 hour 16 minutes and 55 seconds of rambling about their misunderstanding every from gravity to attitude control in submarines.
A nuclear sub could not travel even 1° over the earth's surface in an hour! That is less than one minute of arc every minute.
It is laughable to suggest that matters in the moving ocean currents and changing water conditions.
Maybe you could look at a video about the horizon:

Proving the Earth is not Flat - Part 1 - The Horizon, VoysovReason

Just a bit in closing:
But ships certainly get hidden, and with no mirroring that jeranism and other use in their deception!:

Diamond Princess leaving Harbour

Diamond Princess partly over horizon

Diamond Princess well over horizon (framed for overlay)

Diamond Princess original ship overlayed on prev picture
This is a long video from the same location, though different ship:

Flat Earth Debunked - Cruise Ship March 27 2016, Dazzathecameraman

There's much more where that came from about horizons.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2019, 03:29:00 PM by rabinoz »

« Reply #86 on: February 20, 2017, 04:53:33 PM »
Meanwhile, I can give plenty of videos on youtube ...
How about a ship that is visibly 'sunken' beyond the horizon that is restored to full height with increased magnification.  We all keep hearing about this, but have yet to see it.

?

frenat

« Reply #87 on: February 20, 2017, 04:57:42 PM »
Meanwhile, I can give plenty of videos on youtube ...
How about a ship that is visibly 'sunken' beyond the horizon that is restored to full height with increased magnification.  We all keep hearing about this, but have yet to see it.
That and as it is being restored with a variable zoom camera we should also see the amount that is hidden change.

Instead all we get are videos where boat is below the resolution of the camera while zoomed out (but not actually over the horizon and is still visible to the eye) that they then zoom in on. 

« Reply #88 on: February 20, 2017, 06:11:19 PM »

Hey, person who can't understand elemtaey physics. There is something common in those videos you posted, the atmosphere is very "dirty" as they would say. In other words there is a lot of moisture in the air. When there is a lot of moisture I scatters light. Much like fog it will obscure objects as they get farther away and the light gets more scattered. You'll notice that not one of those videos has a clear deep blue sky, which is an indicator of a "clean" atmosphere. It's the same reason you can't see the stars at night when there are clouds. It's the same reason astronomers that plan on looking st the sky need to check the weather to see if the conditions or right for a great viewing experience. I bet if we knew what does those videos were takene and where, we could look up the viewing conditions that day and see they weren't very good. Anytime the sky looks pale, or grey in the case of some of those videos, it indicates bad viewing conditions. Further the "Vanishing point" does not exist in the human eye. If you think it does I would love to hear your explanation for why we can see a star billions of light years away which surely is beyond the vanishing point yes?

« Reply #89 on: February 21, 2017, 12:17:51 AM »
"If you think it does I would love to hear your explanation for why we can see a star billions of light years away which surely is beyond the vanishing point yes?"

Yeah, I brought up the same point in my "conclusive proof" thread. All I heard was a bunch of: