The good ol' ship disappearing over the horizon question.

• 123 Replies

Matrixfart

• The earth is as flat as a marble. Oh wait...
The good ol' ship disappearing over the horizon question.
« on: March 14, 2007, 11:39:50 AM »
I riddle you this FE'ers. How can a ship dip below the horizon if the earth is flat?

I have personally seen a ship go over the horizon with a telescope. It is quite fascinating to see the ship gradually sink lower and lower on the horizon till it disappears.

This is of course only one of the many holes in your theory, but I would still like to see what the believers in here have to say about it. Please to not direct me to your obscure and false FAQ or some other thread. Prove me wrong, or fail trying. 8)
Why hold on to a fanatical belief when facts laughs at you?

Matrixfart

Re: The good ol' ship disappearing over the horizon question.
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 12:21:41 PM »
It seems no one has an answer. Come on now, don't be shy.

?

Tom Bishop

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 12:44:12 PM »
This discrepancy is fully described in Earth Not a Globe.

See Chapter 14: http://www.sacred-texts.com/earth/za/za32.htm
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 07:59:32 PM by Tom Bishop »

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 12:49:24 PM »
Did you not read his post? he told you not to refer him to a different document, i want to see you try and explain this!  I think fe'ers are a crazy cult and you know what there bible is? E: NAG and the FAQ of course.

Matrixfart

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 12:50:43 PM »

Yet you are unable to replicate, or at least tell me in your own words how this is possible?

Matrixfart

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 06:50:22 PM »
And you all keep avoiding the question. TEnaG's explanation is bogus and completely irrelevant.

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 11:30:44 PM »
I live on Oahu, so I've seen ships on the horizon all the time.  The best evidence against this is when you see a ship traveling "sideways" on the horizon with half of the boat appearing to be underwater.  What explains that, besides "believing is seeing"?

Franc T., Planar

• Leader of the Planar Army, Republic of Canada
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2007, 12:11:14 AM »
I riddle you this FE'ers. How can a ship dip below the horizon if the earth is flat?

I have personally seen a ship go over the horizon with a telescope. It is quite fascinating to see the ship gradually sink lower and lower on the horizon till it disappears.

This is of course only one of the many holes in your theory, but I would still like to see what the believers in here have to say about it. Please to not direct me to your obscure and false FAQ or some other thread. Prove me wrong, or fail trying. 8)

I have never observed such a thing. I BELIEVED I did, before I broke through the brainwashing and started looking at what was actually there, and not what I was brainwashed to "see."
Broadcasting live from the Republic of Canada!

They say death and taxes are the only two absolutes. Actually, they're only half right.

?

Marinade

• FE is for laughing at... not with.
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2007, 12:33:33 AM »

I have never observed such a thing. I BELIEVED I did, before I broke through the brainwashing and started looking at what was actually there, and not what I was brainwashed to "see."

I attempted to explain to you how your subconscious is brainwashing your conscious into thinking the Earth is flat, but you just ignored me.

http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=11525.60

Haha Tom is so funny. He can't be serious, no one is that stubborn or dumb.

Franc T., Planar

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2007, 12:41:48 AM »

I attempted to explain to you how your subconscious is brainwashing your conscious into thinking the Earth is flat, but you just ignored me.

Sorry, but brainwashing can only be done by individuals. So you don't know what you're talking about.

They say death and taxes are the only two absolutes. Actually, they're only half right.

EvilToothpaste

• The Reverse Engineer
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2007, 12:52:18 AM »

I have never personally witnessed a ship "sinking" over the horizon.  I do not believe your personal testimony due to lack of evidence. 

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2007, 02:38:13 AM »
then you've never "personally" seen a ship passing the horizon at all
With no south pole, there is no electromagnetism, giving us no protection from the sun's harmful radiation--we'd all be dead right now.
The ice wall, supposedly made up of antartica lies around the edge of the earth, why no one has recorded it, who knows

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2007, 02:39:38 AM »

I have never personally witnessed a ship "sinking" over the horizon.  I do not believe your personal testimony due to lack of evidence. 

You don't have to see it "sinking."  How about "half underwater?"

Matrixfart

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2007, 05:44:40 AM »

Since you have never observed it yourself, your statement is instantly void and of no sound basis.

Matrixfart

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2007, 05:47:20 AM »

What? So for all your "seeing is believing" speeches you actually had to brainwash yourself in order to understand the "truth" and see the facts? Maybe you had help from some local plants. Apparently there are plenty of plants which can help you see what you want.
If you look at a ship through a telescope, or even binoculars, you WILL see that it disappears over the edge slowly. How do I know this, because it is what happens every single time. Try it. I guarantee that you will see it.

Franc T., Planar

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2007, 01:56:58 PM »
Nope... this is just an illusion created by your belief.

?

Miss M.

• Screw you.
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2007, 01:59:12 PM »
could say the same for you mate ;)
Quote from: TheEngineer
I happen to like GG.
Quote from: Z, the Enlightened.
I never thought in my life I'd write the sentence "I thought they were caught in a bipolar geodesic?"

Matrixfart

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2007, 03:55:41 PM »
I did not have any presupposition to this when I observed it. I just happened to see it happen. I suppose your imaginary observations are greater than the observation of millions of the public who have seen ships disappear over the horizon.

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2007, 06:37:53 PM »

I skimmed that, and it only seemed to say that the guy did the experiment and that it did not happen.  That's not an explanation nor a description.

Franc T., Planar

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2007, 06:40:52 PM »
I did not have any presupposition to this when I observed it.

Impossible. We have ALL been brainwashed into Round Earth belief, unless you live in a shack in the middle of the tundra.

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2007, 06:41:53 PM »

Impossible. We have ALL been brainwashed into Round Earth belief, unless you live in a shack in the middle of the tundra.

I guess those living before the 1700's were all living in a shack in the middle of the tundra.

Matrixfart

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2007, 06:52:22 PM »

My observations are hardy affected by what I have learned in school. I will not see a ship disappear over the horizon simply because I believe the earth to be a spheroid.

Franc T., Planar

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2007, 06:55:02 PM »

My observations are hardy affected by what I have learned in school. I will not see a ship disappear over the horizon simply because I believe the earth to be a spheroid.

You will WANT to see that, and you will INTERPRET it like that.

A Christian believes he sees Jesus in a wood panel: an atheist just sees a wood panel.

Matrixfart

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2007, 06:56:15 PM »

A Christian believes he sees Jesus in a wood panel: an atheist just sees a wood panel.

If I want to I could see Jesus there too, I might just not notice it at first. Something as glaring as a ship disappearing, seeing it clearly through a telescope, has nothing to do with preconceptions.

Franc T., Planar

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2007, 06:58:02 PM »

If I want to I could see Jesus there too, I might just not notice it at first. Something as glaring as a ship disappearing, seeing it clearly through a telescope, has nothing to do with preconceptions.

If you want to, you can also see the ship disappearing uniformly, you just refuse to falsify your beliefs.
Refusing to see what is there and falling back on your brainwashed belief system has EVERYTHING to do with preconceptions.

Matrixfart

« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2007, 07:00:55 PM »

If you want to, you can also see the ship disappearing uniformly, you just refuse to falsify your beliefs.
Refusing to see what is there and falling back on your brainwashed belief system has EVERYTHING to do with preconceptions.
I am not refusing to see what is there. You are. Have you actually tested this experiment? I have no belief, I observe and know from fact. You are the one who has faith in an outdated and religiously based belief.

Franc T., Planar

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2007, 07:03:55 PM »

I am not refusing to see what is there. You are. Have you actually tested this experiment? I have no belief, I observe and know from fact. You are the one who has faith in an outdated and religiously based belief.

Methinks the religious believer protests too much.

I have lived near a big river all my life, and I have seen plenty of ships going away. I have never seen any "horizon" or "ship disappearing from the bottom up."

?

Marinade

• FE is for laughing at... not with.
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2007, 07:05:34 PM »

Sorry, but brainwashing can only be done by individuals. So you don't know what you're talking about.

Apparently you don't understand the power of the subconscious mind. Any psychiatrist will tell you the subconscious works in ways the conscious mind can not comprehend. So you can't not say that is impossible. As people  with severe phobias are often cause by either the subconscious or a past traumatic event, usually both.

Though suffice it to say the subconscious is largely unknown and whether or not it can has an effect on the conscious mind is not a question; it does. It's just how much of an effect it has.
Haha Tom is so funny. He can't be serious, no one is that stubborn or dumb.

Matrixfart

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2007, 07:09:48 PM »

Methinks the religious believer protests too much.

I have lived near a big river all my life, and I have seen plenty of ships going away. I have never seen any "horizon" or "ship disappearing from the bottom up."
Yes the religious believer protests to much. You need to stop it. Unless you can disprove scientific fact with your own recorded observations and prove them you have no credibility.

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2007, 07:11:04 PM »
Looking out over the ocean, a group of us were watching a ship leave.  A child asked her father if they just saw the ship sink.  Obviously, the father tried to explain to her how the Earth is curved.

If she had not been exposed to knowledge of the Earth being round, how was she brainwashed to see its effects?