Oceanic Trench

• 21 Replies
?

courtney_janelle

Oceanic Trench
« on: March 14, 2007, 02:23:31 AM »
I have been reading what everyone has to say. I will not ask "why do the tectonic plates not fall off the earth?" because I have read your explanations saying that they subduct under the ice wall. This certainly makes sense.
What I have not been able to find an explanation for is this:
Subduction zones cause oceanic trenches~

Sonar has been used, since the late 60's, to determine the layout of the ocean floor~

(this is a really terrible image but the trenches are the very dark/heavy lines that curve around some of the continents)
So, as you can see, there is no oceanic trench along the "ice wall"....it is not a subduction zone in the RE model. You claim that the FE plate tectonic model reflects that of the RE model. This seems to be impossible.
I seek a true explanation rather than a conspiracy theory one. Hopefully someone can provide one. Although, that seems highly unlikely.

Also, there are a high concentration of earthquakes and volcanoes at the land bordering subduction zones~

Why are there neither at/on the ice wall? Of course, a volcano would melt away the ice wall if it were to emerge from it. Then it would be a basalt wall, not an ice wall. Hmm. So many questions.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
  • GPS does not require satellites.
Re: Oceanic Trench
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 02:37:35 AM »
Volcanoes and mountains are a byproduct of subduction zones.  The RE Antarctica has many of both.

"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson

?

Tom Bishop

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 09:25:47 AM »
The reason why the subduction zones don't appear on those maps is because Antarctica isn't fully tectonically mapped. Geologists and Seismographers overlook Antarctica and focus on the more populous areas of the world.

No one gets funding for predicting earthquakes in Antarctica.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 09:27:36 AM by Tom Bishop »

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 11:27:00 AM »
http://www.ias.ac.in/currsci/oct252001/883.pdf

The Antarctic continent is the largest
apparently earthquake-free area on the
earth, only a few earthquakes have been
located by the Worldwide Standardized
Seismograph Network (WWSSN). More
than 10 seismological stations have
been operating in Anatarctica since the
International Geophysical Year (IGY),
and the small local tremors recorded by
these stations are commonly attributed
to calving of the ice shelves or fracturing
of the ice sheet.

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 11:38:27 AM »
That quote is not so much to point out anything about the amount of seismic activiy in antarctica rather I wanted to point out that seismic research is carried out there. In recent years, ironically using satellites, scientists have found there to be seismic activity on par with other continents.

?

Tom Bishop

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 12:30:46 PM »
That quote is not so much to point out anything about the amount of seismic activiy in antarctica rather I wanted to point out that seismic research is carried out there. In recent years, ironically using satellites, scientists have found there to be seismic activity on par with other continents.

If there are no tectonics plates near Antarctica, why are there a number of Fold Mountains on Antarctica?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 12:34:42 PM by Tom Bishop »

?

courtney_janelle

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2007, 01:10:25 PM »
If there are no tectonics plates near Antarctica, why are there a number of Fold Mountains on Antarctica?

There can be tectonic plates without there being subduction zones.

?

courtney_janelle

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2007, 01:14:32 PM »
No one gets funding for predicting earthquakes in Antarctica.

This really doesn't even need to be said, as a quote has already been posted saying that there are indeed seismology stations on Antarctica, and it's pretty no-brainer besides that, however:
There doesn't NEED to be seismology stations on or near Antarctica because earthquakes can be felt halfway around the world, all it takes is a small group of seismologists and simple mathmatical formulas to figure out where an earthquake originated.

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2007, 02:09:20 PM »

When did I say there were no tectonic plates near Antarctica?

?

courtney_janelle

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2007, 02:52:07 PM »
I have found information that I was not able to find last night, and there are indeed volcanoes (caused by divergin plates) in Antarctica, though it mainly seems to be outline islands and the like. There is also recorded seismological data.

However, while I was misguided on these aspects, it still does not account for the lack of oceanic trench, my main point. I don't really buy the argument that it "hasn't been mapped", because it most certainly has. They don't map the ocean floor strictly to save lives (not all scientists want to be heroes!), they map it to figure out how the earth works. And the topigraphical maps show that the earth definitely doesn't work by subducting underneath Antarctica.

Also, it seems to me that the fact that there are basaltic (just like I said in my initial post) volcanoes on Antarctica proves that it cannot be merely an "ice wall"..........it's not ice. There may be ice there, but there is also a hell of a lot of land and rock.

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2007, 02:54:09 PM »
If the Earth is flat, whatever is holding it in cannot be a) made of ice or b) a landmass covered in ice. It is 100% impossible for it to be either of those.

?

courtney_janelle

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2007, 12:33:58 AM »
If the Earth is flat, whatever is holding it in cannot be a) made of ice or b) a landmass covered in ice. It is 100% impossible for it to be either of those.

Though I agree, what is your reasoning?

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2007, 10:57:46 AM »
Well it can't be ice because it would float and would not freeze all the way down to the sea bed. It cannot be land covered in ice because due to continental shift there never used to be land there but water has been there alot longer. What held the water in then?

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2007, 01:21:58 PM »
Strange how these FE-devastating threads just seem to dwindle away without further addressing by those who support FE.

?

Tom Bishop

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2007, 02:15:05 PM »
Strange how these FE-devastating threads just seem to dwindle away without further addressing by those who support FE.

It has been established in this thread that Antarctica has tectonic plates. Courtney Janelle said it herself:

"I have found information that I was not able to find last night, and there are indeed volcanoes (caused by divergin plates) in Antarctica, though it mainly seems to be outline islands and the like. There is also recorded seismological data.

The only remaining discrepancy is a lack of oceanic trenches. Courtney does not believe that trenches can go unmapped, while I maintain that they can. There is certainly a lot more and water to cover in the Flat Earth model. It's very possible that the few oceanic cartographers who've attempted to study the area were defeated in its vastness.

Due to confusion, low temperatures, and little in the way of funding, oceanic cartographers gave up on Antarctica and sought out easier areas to map.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 02:17:08 PM by Tom Bishop »

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2007, 02:17:07 PM »
No the remaining discrepancy is that the land wasn't there at one point. Water has been there a lot longer though. Better crank up the bullshit generator.

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2007, 03:04:58 PM »
Yes, that's what I had in mind, thank youkasroa.

From how I understand this, for FE to be real, there must be one massive subduction zone around all of the great wall of ice, so that the continents can glide across the earth. Sort of like how the eye slides around between the eyelids. Is that the idea?

Gabe

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2008, 05:54:05 PM »
Due to confusion, low temperatures, and little in the way of funding, oceanic cartographers gave up on Antarctica and sought out easier areas to map.

Proof? Let me guess. You're speculating on the actions of every person conducting seismological studies in such a way as to say that subduction zones exist but haven't been detected. The way logic works is you find evidence that something exists before claiming such.

Answer the other questions as well.
Quote from: Tom Bishop
There is no evidence for an infinite Earth.
The Earth is infinite.
Warning, you have just lowered your IQ by reading my sig.

?

Loard Z

• Insert witty intellectual phrase here...
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2008, 06:09:48 PM »
Gabe, this is a 9 month old topic!!!
if i remember, austria is an old, dis-used name for what is now Germany.
See My Greatness

Gabe

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2008, 06:30:49 PM »
Yeah, I admit I did some digging. That doesn't mean its irrelevant. ;)
The Earth is infinite.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2008, 06:34:44 PM »
Proof? Let me guess. You're speculating on the actions of every person conducting seismological studies in such a way as to say that subduction zones exist but haven't been detected. The way logic works is you find evidence that something exists before claiming such.

How can there be seismic activity and volcanoes on Antarctica without tectonic plate boundaries nearby?

Gabe

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2008, 07:27:26 PM »
You need to understand that tectonic plates aren't as simple as large solid objects separated and sliding around. The ground is elastic and stretches, heats, etc. I think of stretching out one of those gray shapeless erasers. Cracks appear everywhere, and small ruptures can permit volcanic activity without forming severe ones (continental plate boundaries).

Now how about answering questions rather than asking your own?
The Earth is infinite.